Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kinot-2

Your Most Cherished Habs Memorabilia.

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

you must be my age then because I have the same conscious memory of 17 Cups ...I have a jersey signed by the Rocket  and had a Forum seat for a few years but no longer ...the memories for sure aren't for sale ..lol

but not as ancient as Kinot. 

Hi - newbie here, but I have a bit of memorabilia which I'd like to share with you and would love someone in-the-know to help me out on....

My grandmother was a Canadiens fan and often went to see them play in the 1950s. During one match, she caught a puck when it was hit out of play, and afterwards got one of the players to sign it.  I have been trying to decipher the writing on it and so far I have got that it was against the Detroit Red Wings, probably in 1958, and possibly the score was 1/5. It certainly would have been played at the Montreal Forum.  So after a bit of internet research may well have been the match on March 27th 1958 which finished 1-5 to the Canadiens.  Whose is the signature though?  

puck.jpg

puck_closeup.jpg

48 minutes ago, DougE said:

Hi - newbie here, but I have a bit of memorabilia which I'd like to share with you and would love someone in-the-know to help me out on....

My grandmother was a Canadiens fan and often went to see them play in the 1950s. During one match, she caught a puck when it was hit out of play, and afterwards got one of the players to sign it.  I have been trying to decipher the writing on it and so far I have got that it was against the Detroit Red Wings, probably in 1958, and possibly the score was 1/5. It certainly would have been played at the Montreal Forum.  So after a bit of internet research may well have been the match on March 27th 1958 which finished 1-5 to the Canadiens.  Whose is the signature though?  

Cool story & great puck!!

Really tough to tell from those photos.  If I had to guess, id say thats almost certainly a J to start the name though, which narrows it down to only 3 players on the 1958-59 roster:

Jacques Plante, Jean Guy Talbot and Jean Beliveau. 

Its definitely not Plante (very cartoony signature) or Talbot (3 distinct names)... it *could* be Beliveau (nothing to disprove it based on this image) But i also don't think its conclusively his either. 

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

Really tough to tell from those photos.  If I had to guess, id say thats almost certainly a J to start the name though, which narrows it down to only 3 players on the 1958-59 roster:

Its definitely not Plante (very cartoony signature) or Talbot (3 distinct names)... it *could* be Beliveau (nothing to disprove it based on this image) But i also don't think its conclusively his either. 

If it's March it's the 57/58 season. Could be Jack Bownass. 

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

Just a thought. It looks very long and I remember Jean Beliveau telling his teammates to "Always" sign your signature so that it's readable.

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

If it's March it's the 57/58 season. Could be Jack Bownass. 

I don't think so. JM2C. 

I couldn't find a signature for Jack Bowness, but here is a very clear signature of Jean Belivieu. 

The line underneath the name is very telling compared to the puck signature.

I suppose DougE "could" take it to a sports card store and ask them. 

s-l640.jpg

Edited by kinot-2

It's on a puck that obviously has been handled quite a bit. It could be Beliveau's because it doesn't look like one of those rushed sigs and the big guy was known for taking his time when signing. The J seems pretty clear of all the letters and it does match from his earlier years. His rookie card has a simulated signature on it and its a pretty good match to that J on the puck. Never seen a Bowness sig.

12 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Just a thought. It looks very long and I remember Jean Beliveau telling his teammates to "Always" sign your signature so that it's readable.

I don't think so. JM2C. 

I couldn't find a signature for Jack Bowness, but here is a very clear signature of Jean Belivieu. 

The line underneath the name is very telling compared to the puck signature.

I suppose DougE "could" take it to a sports card store and ask them. 

s-l640.jpg

The line under the signature looks more like a scratch than a line made of ink. 

Many thanks for your replies - much appreciated!

I live in the UK myself - my mother's side of the family moved over here from Canada in the early 1960s. My grandmother passed away some years ago and I "inherited" the puck.  Her daughter (my mum) has said that the 1/5 is actually vs for versus :D, and I did wonder if the signature was Jean Beliveau's but coming from zero knowledge I didn't want to assume anything. Under a magnifying glass the line under the signature is definitely ink.  The rest of the story with my grandmother catching it was that there was a Frenchman next to her who also tried to catch it and said to her "If you weren't a lady I would have had that off you!" :D

All the best, and thanks again.