Habs_Hockey_Nutz

Max Domi

29 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Most teams want a strong top 9 not just 6 , so even if Domi was a wing which is still to be determined JK could also end up at wing? Kovy can play either side. Having someone play wing that is also capable of playing center is good in case of injury also. He is also a lot younger than Tatar and Kovy who neither will probably be here in 5 years. The Wings for years had Datsyk, Federov, Zetterburg and they all played wing at different times Bowman even had Federov play defense. Having skill in your top 9 in todays game is much better than the "old school" 1st/2nd line and just two checking lines. The game is faster and having the depth in the line up is great. Jullien also prefers to role the lines if possible. Romanov could end up being that LD also yet to be determined. Domi also has proven he can play center and be very effective. Last season wasn't that long ago. We all hope JK will become as good as Domi was just last year but he hasn't shown that yet. 

I'm not saying you don't need a top 9, I'm saying you have 10 top 9 forwards already if you re-sign Kovalchuk. And while Tatar or Kovalchuk may not be here long-term you also could have Caufield or Ylonen coming in shortly. The point is not that we don't need Domi, the point is that we have other guys who could fill the same position(s) as him AND our need for a top-pairing LHD is higher. If you have Tatar, Domi, Drouin, and Kovalchuk down the left side, I'd argue we're better-served by trading one for a top-pairing LHD rather than having one play the 4th line.

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I'm not saying you don't need a top 9, I'm saying you have 10 top 9 forwards already if you re-sign Kovalchuk. And while Tatar or Kovalchuk may not be here long-term you also could have Caufield or Ylonen coming in shortly. The point is not that we don't need Domi, the point is that we have other guys who could fill the same position(s) as him AND our need for a top-pairing LHD is higher. If you have Tatar, Domi, Drouin, and Kovalchuk down the left side, I'd argue we're better-served by trading one for a top-pairing LHD rather than having one play the 4th line.

Yet again Kovy can play either side isn't only left wing and it isn't in stone by any means that JK is going to be a better center than Domi. Even now if Danault was out anything long term you have another center who has proven he can do the job. Caulfield is a right wing also and he may or may not be here next year. He could end up another year in NCAA possibly. Domi has speed (fastest on team per team skills) Byron didn't compete but I don't see Byron here long term. Domi also has great hands and vision. JK doesn't have the same speed and has yet to be seen if he the same vision or hands or even the determination that Domi has. I think it's to soon to trade Domi to make room for JK because he has potential and we hope. 

29 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Yet again Kovy can play either side isn't only left wing and it isn't in stone by any means that JK is going to be a better center than Domi. Even now if Danault was out anything long term you have another center who has proven he can do the job. Caulfield is a right wing also and he may or may not be here next year. He could end up another year in NCAA possibly. Domi has speed (fastest on team per team skills) Byron didn't compete but I don't see Byron here long term. Domi also has great hands and vision. JK doesn't have the same speed and has yet to be seen if he the same vision or hands or even the determination that Domi has. I think it's to soon to trade Domi to make room for JK because he has potential and we hope. 

There was an article on the Sportsnet that quoted Bouchard as saying the reason KK was sent to Laval was because the Habs want him to get back to the mindset of being "the guy" Not just a guy on the team. He went on to say that the whole organization still feels that JK will be the guy and Bouchard is going to play him almost nonstop no matter what errors he makes cause he has to get used to being in all those situations and making the RIGHT choices in those situations. So that being said either the organization doesn't see Domi as a center long term or even as part of the future or Bouchard is lieing and just playing up for the cameras and JK.

Here is the link.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-want-kotkaniemi-get-comfortable-guy/sn-amp/

23 hours ago, campabee82 said:

There was an article on the Sportsnet that quoted Bouchard as saying the reason KK was sent to Laval was because the Habs want him to get back to the mindset of being "the guy" Not just a guy on the team. He went on to say that the whole organization still feels that JK will be the guy and Bouchard is going to play him almost nonstop no matter what errors he makes cause he has to get used to being in all those situations and making the RIGHT choices in those situations. So that being said either the organization doesn't see Domi as a center long term or even as part of the future or Bouchard is lieing and just playing up for the cameras and JK.

Here is the link.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-want-kotkaniemi-get-comfortable-guy/sn-amp/

Even "if" that 's what the team is "wishing" for. Could be saying it boost his fragile ego also if he actually was losing confidence. He still has to prove he is going to be that guy or make it. He can excel in Laval as many have done in the AHL and still not turn out to be a 1st or 2nd line gut at the NHL level some AHL stars never make the NHL. So I would say it would be stupid to trade someone Domi who has proven he can do the job until you know the other guy can. Or a year down the road you've got another Chucky situation and you now need a center again. I still haven't seen anywhere where the team is saying Domi is expendable either. I would definitely wait and see how JK does before trading off someone who is better at this time and can do the job. JK also has been injured what 3 times in two years hopefully he can build some muscle and be stronger also.