Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H_T_L

NHL SEASON SUSPENDED: Coronavirus and the NHL

254 posts in this topic

NHL.com.  Three Tampa Bay players have tested positive for the virus.  

On 6/19/2020 at 7:00 PM, habs1952 said:

On 6/20/2020 at 9:47 AM, CANADIENS27 said:

NHL.com.  Three Tampa Bay players have tested positive for the virus.  

Around 200 players have been tested now, with teams opening facilities for training.  11 of them have tested positive.  Thats not great odds.  LIke seriously the chances of the NHL actually pulling this thing off seems slim, at best.

Hub cities to be announced today with Chicago, Edmonton, Vegas, LA and TO still in the mix. The only relatively safe site in all those is Edmonton based on current Covid numbers in those locations. IMO there are problems in all those choices. If it's just a matter of finding an arena to play in front of no fans, then why does it have to be an NHL city? There are much safer choices out there like out East in Canada where there are virtually no cases. Fly all the players in now and quaranteen them for a couple weeks along with any and all supporting staff then proceed if they feel they absolutely have to award the Cup this year. Otherwise do the right thing and cancel this thing altogether. 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Hub cities to be announced today with Chicago, Edmonton, Vegas, LA and TO still in the mix. The only relatively safe site in all those is Edmonton based on current Covid numbers in those locations. IMO there are problems in all those choices. If it's just a matter of finding an arena to play in front of no fans, then why does it have to be an NHL city? There are much safer choices out there like out East in Canada where there are virtually no cases. Fly all the players in now and quaranteen them for a couple weeks along with any and all supporting staff then proceed if they feel they absolutely have to award the Cup this year. Otherwise do the right thing and cancel this thing altogether. 

You just know Toronto will be a pick. 

3 hours ago, habs1952 said:

You just know Toronto will be a pick. 

The last thing i want to see is anybody from the US crossing our border into Ontario. We've already paid a dear price/sacrifice putting our lives on hold because of this virus and we don't need Americans crossing over to put all of it at risk. 

6 hours ago, H_T_L said:

The league said that the requirements are:

- NHL quality ice rink

- Top quality hotels

- A variety of top quality restaurants

That rules out a lot of places but there still may be options.   Perhaps a place like Halifax or Saskatoon etc could do it.  Some universities like TRU in Kamloops have really high end facilities - but do they have the hotel and restaurant support? The other thing is, its not just the ice. There's very strict requirements about players rooms/facilities/boxes... and i doubt if (m)any non-nhl facilities have these.  But then maybe - if they are so hell-bent on making this happen, the NHL needs to soften some of these requirements. 

I just dont see how they (the NHL) will make this work in a large city. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

- NHL quality ice rink

- Top quality hotels

That rules out a lot of places but there still may be options.   Perhaps a place like Halifax or Saskatoon etc could do it.  Some universities like TRU in Kamloops have really high end facilities - but do they have the hotel and restaurant support? The other thing is, its not just the ice. There's very strict requirements about players rooms/facilities/boxes... and i doubt if (m)any non-nhl facilities have these.  But then maybe - if they are so hell-bent on making this happen, the NHL needs to soften some of these requirements. 

Yeah,,,, the big city requirement is the problem. I'm sure there's some quality ice surfaces out East somewhere such as Halifax and no doubt they would have the hotel facilities to accommodate a dozen teams for the playin round. There's no need for 18000 plus seats obviously and ice quality is usually not a problem in these smaller facilities and would probably be better in summer months then a lot of current NHL arenas with smaller areas to keep cool.

These are strange circumstances we're dealing with and the NHL needs to be more flexible if they insist on putting this thing on IMO. I truly hope nobody dies or has lasting implications if an outbreak occurs on one or more teams

The playoffs are already in a death spiral.

From TSN: The NHL announced that as of Monday, 15 players have returned a positive test for COVID-19 of the more than 250 who have reported for Phase 2. The league added that it is aware of an additional 11 players who have tested positive outside of the league's Phase 2 protocols.

Maybe they should host the playoffs in Arizona and award the cup to the last team standing.

18 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Maybe they should host the playoffs in Arizona and award the cup to the last team standing.

If these POs get going, I can imagine a lot of call-ups from the minors. 

54 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

34 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

If these POs get going, I can imagine a lot of call-ups from the minors. 

I bet if they stopped testing this would all go away.:ph34r:

10 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I bet if they stopped testing this would all go away.:ph34r:

Brilliant idea, why hasn't some one else thought of that? :rolleyes:

It appears the NHL has narrowed its list of potential hub cities down to four. According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, Edmonton, Toronto, Las Vegas and Chicago appear to be the final considerations, meaning Los Angeles has fallen out of the running.

22 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Hey, who says we want them! :lol:

In all honesty, though, your plan is pretty much the only one that works IMO.  Move them out of the way now, enforce a strict quarantine for two weeks, and then start training camps or whatever after that.  The only problem is that once one player in that group has symptoms, the whole group is going to have to start their two weeks all over again.  Honestly, it all seems so futile, and all just to play a few games of hockey in August 

16 hours ago, maas_art said:

- NHL quality ice rink

- Top quality hotels

We've hosted the world championships in the past, so the facilities here in Halifax aren't the worst, but they are almost certainly not up to par with some of the NHL rinks around.  In terms of restaurants and stuff, I was kind of joking in my last post about not wanting anyone to come here, but also kind of not.   We've been completely COVID-free for like 3 weeks here, and doing something that jeopardizes that is something that I really don't think would garner a lot of public support. 

Even as a hockey fan my reaction is a big "no thanks" - I can't image they'll have anywhere near the support they would need to make a special exception to the strict quarantine measures, which would mean 2 weeks in complete isolation when they arrive (i.e. no restaurants at all).  I can't imaging the NHL players really being on board with that.

2 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

Even as a hockey fan my reaction is a big "no thanks" - I can't image they'll have anywhere near the support they would need to make a special exception to the strict quarantine measures, which would mean 2 weeks in complete isolation when they arrive (i.e. no restaurants at all).  I can't imaging the NHL players really being on board with that.

Well and thats the thing.  Even if this gets off the ground, will it be even remotely the same?   Will guys be in terrible shape after months of non play? Will games that are supposed to be life or death be sloppy and amateurish? What happens when players get sick (they inevitably will)? Will they play a round or two and then cancel it? After the way 2020 has gone, will anyone even care about hockey games? 

Just so many questions. I understand wanting to get back to some semblance of normal but it just doesnt seem possible right now. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Well and thats the thing.  Even if this gets off the ground, will it be even remotely the same?   Will guys be in terrible shape after months of non play? Will games that are supposed to be life or death be sloppy and amateurish? What happens when players get sick (they inevitably will)? Will they play a round or two and then cancel it? After the way 2020 has gone, will anyone even care about hockey games? 

Just so many questions. I understand wanting to get back to some semblance of normal but it just doesnt seem possible right now. 

The English Premier League (soccer) has recently started back up. I'm not sure what protocols they established or if many players are getting sick... but it's been running for a couple of weeks now. I'm not sure if their restart could be used as a template for other sports.

I, too, would be surprised if hockey actually restarted. The United States is doing such a terrible job of dealing with COVID-19, I can't imagine sports (empty stadiums or no empty stadiums) would not do anything more than exacerbate the problem. The players will be thinking about the health of themselves and their families. 

Just now, jennifer_rocket said:

The English Premier League (soccer) has recently started back up. I'm not sure what protocols they established or if many players are getting sick... but it's been running for a couple of weeks now. I'm not sure if their restart could be used as a template for other sports.

I, too, would be surprised if hockey actually restarted. The United States is doing such a terrible job of dealing with COVID-19, I can't imagine sports (empty stadiums or no empty stadiums) would not do anything more than exacerbate the problem. The players will be thinking about the health of themselves and their families. 

The bold is the problem.  Fauci just spoke at a health briefing & said he "wouldn't be surprised to see the US hit 100,000 new cases per day soon."  

16 hours ago, maas_art said:

The bold is the problem.  Fauci just spoke at a health briefing & said he "wouldn't be surprised to see the US hit 100,000 new cases per day soon."  

Trump isn't doing a terrible job, he's washing his hands of the crisis.  On top of that, there's a possible swine flu pandemic developing in China.  

Appears Edmonton and TO are the likely host cities for the playoffs. IMO the worst case scenario for Canada,,, especially when it's likely they waive the 14 day self isolation rule for out of country players. Hoping this isn't a powder keg waiting to explode in our faces.:rolleyes:

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Appears Edmonton and TO are the likely host cities for the playoffs. IMO the worst case scenario for Canada,,, especially when it's likely they waive the 14 day self isolation rule for out of country players. Hoping this isn't a powder keg waiting to explode in our faces.:rolleyes:

Apparently, teams will be limited to 50 personnel. Each player in the league will vote on the CBA. The cap will remain at $81.5 mil. for the next 2 years. And they will go to the 2022 Olympics.

According to Friedman, "if" everything goes according to plan, without any hiccups, training camps could start in mid-July, which is just a few weeks away. 

Edited by kinot-2

Reports are that American cities are out of the running as hub cities with Las Vegas becoming a hotspot.  

4 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Reports are that American cities are out of the running as hub cities with Las Vegas becoming a hotspot.  

You're late to the party - TO and Edm were selected yesterday. 

According to Bob McKenzie, Edmonton will host the Conference Finals and the Cup Finals.

Posted (edited)

Because SN has nothing to show on TV, they are replaying old hockey games. Just watching a replay of the Habs/Nordiques game 6 of the Adams final. A bench clearing brawl broke out at the end of the 2nd period. Everyone was fighting, even Penny and Bouchard. Then they go out for the 3rd period, and it starts all over again. The announcer is still announcing  penalties from the 2nd period and now he has to announce more for the 3rd period. Haven't seen that in a while. Lots of room on the bench now. A little 3 on 3 now. As of now, Quebec gets 137 mins. in penalties, Habs get 118 mins. 

Nice to see Shutt, LaFluer and Robinson again.  :)

Edited by kinot-2