Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H_T_L

NHL SEASON SUSPENDED: Coronavirus and the NHL

254 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

:4224: CP24 is showing the line-up for tonight's (Fri.) NHL games, and this is at 1:15 AM est. 

Edited by kinot-2

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

“That has nothing to do with the Montreal Canadiens with the All-Star Game. I made a trade that at the time, I had to make that trade. I have a reason that I can't really tell you why, but if I could, you would probably understand.”

:lol::lol::lol: 

Bergevin playing the real long game on this one!!

9 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

I wonder how many NHL players will test positive? With over 650 players in the league, my guess is that yes, some will get it. 

Oh, definitely. I guess we won't know the full impact until much, much later, but there's no doubt that many NHLers (like everyone else) will end up infected with the virus.

4 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

:lol::lol::lol: 

Bergevin playing the real long game on this one!!

:4224:

Things are escalating around here. Panic buying has kicked in.

14 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

I wonder how many NHL players will test positive? With over 650 players in the league, my guess is that yes, some will get it. 

So far ive only heard Radulov was suspected (although he is apparently feeling better today) but im sure some will get it/ already have it. 

By the numbers, professional athletes should have a pretty good chance of bouncing back easily (unless they have an underlying heart condition etc) but as we're seeing in italy, its not so much that the virus is that bad, its that it spreads so quickly that resources are spread too thin & you cant treat people effectively. 

5 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

It's kicked in everywhere in Canada, I think.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

It's kicked in everywhere in Canada, I think.

It's has also kicked in the U.S.  How will Trump address the problem?  

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Yep. I went to the grocery store earlier this afternoon, and I've never seen it so busy. Hardly any bananas, bread, meat, milk, frozen vegetables or eggs, absolutely no toilet paper (I actually genuinely needed some and had to spend $30 at the dep), disinfecting wipes, paper towels or tissues, low on canned goods, no flour.. it was insane. At least my college is going to stay closed until March 30th. I have a lot of assignments and projects to catch up on. :lol:

Not sure where else to put this or if it has been mentioned. Friedman supposedly mentioned a 12 team playoff with top teams perhaps getting a pass while the others (5th to 12th) play a 2 out of 3 series. In this instance the Habs would actually qualify. While I do not think this season will get back on track it was nice to think about it for a moment. I believe any restart would end up with games being played without the crowds. I give this idea about the same odds as we had of making the playoffs in the first place.

If the NHL plays games without crowds will they play a canned soundtrack of cheering such as the ones used by most comedy tv shows? 

19 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

If the NHL plays games without crowds will they play a canned soundtrack of cheering such as the ones used by most comedy tv shows? 

I think they should let US do the play by play............

4 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

How will Trump address the problem?  

Blame Obama

15 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Blame Obama

I forgot he already has and Trump still takes no responsibility for the testing delays.  

20 hours ago, habs1952 said:

I hope so! But make it super, super ridiculous. 

From TSN.

The Calgary Flames will not be assisting their part-time, hourly, and event staff who will be underemployed during the suspension of the NHL season.

The Flames sent an email to their hourly and event staff when the NHL paused the season Thursday as the league agreed to suspend play to try and limit the spread of the novel coronavirus.

"Alberta Employment Standards requires that employers provide 24 hours' notice for cancellation of scheduled shifts," said in the email which was obtained by The Canadian Press on Saturday.

"CSEC will pay employees where the notification of cancellation was less than 24 hours. No payment will be made for shifts cancelled with greater than 24 hours’ notice.

"Effective March 12, 2020, all future games have been suspended and substantially all scheduled hourly shifts have been cancelled."

Calgary Sport and Entertainment president and chief executive officer John Bean said on Thursday that CSEC employs 1,500 part-time staff.

CSEC also owns the Western Hockey League's Hitmen and the National Lacrosse League's Roughnecks. Both of those leagues have also suspended their seasons to try and combat the COVID-19 pandemic.

A request for comment sent to Calgary Sports and Entertainment by The Canadian Press was not immediately returned.

True North Sports & Entertainment chairman Mark Chipman, who runs the Winnipeg Jets, said at a press conference on Thursday his company's part-time employees are also out of luck.

"Those people are on part-time agreements," Chipman said. "They work when we work. So, regrettably, to the extent that we're not putting on shows and games, those people obviously would not have a call to work."

DISGUSTING!

Does anyone know if the Habs will compensate their employees for loss of wages? Some teams are doing it, but I have heard nothing from the Habs. 

8 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Does anyone know if the Habs will compensate their employees for loss of wages? Some teams are doing it, but I have heard nothing from the Habs. 

They have not made any public statement as of this morning. They are still on the official list of about 20 teams who have not committed to this. Doesn't mean they aren't, but no confirmation they will either.

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

They have not made any public statement as of this morning. They are still on the official list of about 20 teams who have not committed to this. Doesn't mean they aren't, but no confirmation they will either.

Canadiens announce special measures to assist game-day employees. Dated today at 3 PM, est.

“The Montreal Canadiens and Laval Rocket are deploying the means necessary to reduce the impact of this unique situation on our employees, whom I wish to sincerely thank for their collaboration and understanding.”

For employees who aren’t eligible to receive employment insurance, Montreal will pay 75 per cent of the salaries they would’ve received for the remaining regular-season games (four for the Canadiens, eight for the Rocket).

For employees who are eligible for employment insurance, Montreal will enhance the insurance benefits by 40 per cent, so employees can receive 95 per cent of their salaries (the maximum allowed by Service Canada in order to be eligible for full employment insurance benefits) for the remaining games.

6 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Canadiens announce special measures to assist game-day employees. Dated today at 3 PM, est.

“The Montreal Canadiens and Laval Rocket are deploying the means necessary to reduce the impact of this unique situation on our employees, whom I wish to sincerely thank for their collaboration and understanding.”

For employees who aren’t eligible to receive employment insurance, Montreal will pay 75 per cent of the salaries they would’ve received for the remaining regular-season games (four for the Canadiens, eight for the Rocket).

For employees who are eligible for employment insurance, Montreal will enhance the insurance benefits by 40 per cent, so employees can receive 95 per cent of their salaries (the maximum allowed by Service Canada in order to be eligible for full employment insurance benefits) for the remaining games.

Good on Molson for doing what is right by the event staff and then going above and beyond by enhancing the ei benefits to the max

14 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Good on Molson for doing what is right by the event staff and then going above and beyond by enhancing the ei benefits to the max

Now if he would only fire Bergevin!

The league said they are allowing players to go home... this is kind of a big deal because it suggests this could be longer than a "pause."

Some pundits are starting to hear rumblings of "cancellation" of the season. Stay tuned but i feel like the longer this goes on, the more likely it is that the whole season is shelved.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

The league said they are allowing players to go home... this is kind of a big deal because it suggests this could be longer than a "pause."

Some pundits are starting to hear rumblings of "cancellation" of the season. Stay tuned but i feel like the longer this goes on, the more likely it is that the whole season is shelved.

I heard on TSN last night that the CDC was recommending no gatherings of over 50 people for 6 to 8 weeks which puts it to the middle of May at least before the teams could get back on the ice

20 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I heard on TSN last night that the CDC was recommending no gatherings of over 50 people for 6 to 8 weeks which puts it to the middle of May at least before the teams could get back on the ice

That could be too optimistic since NBA teams might not be playing until at least June.