Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H_T_L

NHL SEASON SUSPENDED: Coronavirus and the NHL

254 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

The league said they are allowing players to go home... this is kind of a big deal because it suggests this could be longer than a "pause."

Some pundits are starting to hear rumblings of "cancellation" of the season. Stay tuned but i feel like the longer this goes on, the more likely it is that the whole season is shelved.

Yep, I don't think that we can talk about this merely being a pause any longer. It doesn't really matter what they're trying to sell to the public or how they want to salvage the season IMO. Entire cities (even countries) were shut down all over Europe, and that virus isn't going to go away anytime soon. This goes way beyond sports, it's sad but it's an afterthought at this point.

Edited by ChiLla

33 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I heard on TSN last night that the CDC was recommending no gatherings of over 50 people for 6 to 8 weeks which puts it to the middle of May at least before the teams could get back on the ice

12 minutes ago, CANADIENS27 said:

That could be too optimistic since NBA teams might not be playing until at least June.  

Its definitely uncharted territory.   It seems like a lot of people "in the know" believe this is it for the season.

I mean when you look at the last pandemic (1918) it ended with a player dying, a coach dying (very soon after etc) and that was back long before the ease of travel.  

Yeah, I can see the season getting cancelled. Especially with that most recent CDC recommendation.

5 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I heard on TSN last night that the CDC was recommending no gatherings of over 50 people for 6 to 8 weeks which puts it to the middle of May at least before the teams could get back on the ice

Even 50 people together is too many, but I guess with the US election coming the politicians would complain if they can't hold fundraisers! 

So...

What are people planning to do to keep occupied during these 'stay at home' times?

24 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

So...

What are people planning to do to keep occupied during these 'stay at home' times?

I thought i might do something different like...draw.  :4224:

I thought i might do something different like...draw.  :4224:

Where do you draw your humor from?

10 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Where do you draw your humor from?

a dark, foreboding place. 

a dark, foreboding place. 

sounds sketchy

8 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

So...

I'm trying to break the habit of checking out the sports news websites because, well.....there is no sports news. 

Posted (edited)

53 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I'm trying to break the habit of checking out the sports news websites because, well.....there is no sports news. 

I hear they are going to play some golf tournament somewhere, you might want to check that out.  :lol:

Myself, I am taping a whole lot of shows (no drama shows), movies, documentaries, nature shows, and animated movies, so I'm not entirely bored. 

On the plus side, my dentist cancelled my app. for next Mon. :) 

Edited by kinot-2

I am actually getting more work done at work imagine that lol. Seriously though the last 4 days have been so boring I want to gouge my eyes out flatten them into pucks and play hockey!!! Come on cruel world get hockey back on t.v. please

13 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I am actually getting more work done at work imagine that lol. Seriously though the last 4 days have been so boring I want to gouge my eyes out flatten them into pucks and play hockey!!! Come on cruel world get hockey back on t.v. please

SN is showing "Classic" hockey games, but I'm waiting for a Habs game to watch. Sadly they're showing "other" games. :(

4 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

SN is showing "Classic" hockey games, but I'm waiting for a Habs game to watch. Sadly they're showing "other" games. :(

Yeah I have the flames and Oilers from Jan 11th 2020 on right now lol

TSN has drag racing on as well lol I would rather watch the Bruins vs Leafs 

5 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

TSN has drag racing on as well lol I would rather watch the Bruins vs Leafs 

Ya mean the game 7 when the laffs blew that 3 goal lead? :4224:

11 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya mean the game 7 when the laffs blew that 3 goal lead? :4224:

LOL that one for sure 

Just now, campabee82 said:

LOL that one for sure 

:6188:

interesting couple of days for speculation in the NHL.

Sources close to the league say the NHL is saying that *maybe* if things get under control, they can try to resume in May.  The NHLPA suggesting a late July start & August playoffs.... cant see the NHL going for that - forget the fact that contracts run out in June, we also have the matter of other events at venues, and the potential push back of the 2020-21 season...

I feel like its pretty unlikley this season is saved.   The Senators have had a player test positive. 

On 3/17/2020 at 1:03 PM, jennifer_rocket said:

So...

Study, work on class assignments and projects.. and I have SO many shows to watch and books to read. I'm probably going to get a head start on my spring cleaning, too. Also play board games! 

19 minutes ago, maas_art said:

interesting couple of days for speculation in the NHL.

Sources close to the league say the NHL is saying that *maybe* if things get under control, they can try to resume in May.  The NHLPA suggesting a late July start & August playoffs.... cant see the NHL going for that - forget the fact that contracts run out in June, we also have the matter of other events at venues, and the potential push back of the 2020-21 season...

I feel like its pretty unlikley this season is saved.   The Senators have had a player test positive. 

I agree but also feel like if the players had a choice they would do a March madness type of playoff where every team qualifies and either single elimination or best of 3 series wins.The owners and Betteman are not going to give up the season without a dogfight and some sort of gimmick that recoups some of the lost revenues like a 24 team playoffs. It's not really in the best interest of either side to cancel the season cause the league loses revenue and the players lose more to escrow.

10 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I agree but also feel like if the players had a choice they would do a March madness type of playoff where every team qualifies and either single elimination or best of 3 series wins.The owners and Betteman are not going to give up the season without a dogfight and some sort of gimmick that recoups some of the lost revenues like a 24 team playoffs. It's not really in the best interest of either side to cancel the season cause the league loses revenue and the players lose more to escrow.

Yeah, if things calm down i am sure they will try - but not sure it will work out.

That said, I'd be really curious to see what would happen if the playoffs went into July.  Im no legal expert so im not sure how that would affect their contracts (UFA, RFA  - the insurance on players etc)?  

I mean i dont think its as clear/simple as "contract ends at the end of June" because the players were unable to fulfill the contractual duties (no fault of their own mind you) so its a really bizarre situation. 

15 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

I hear they are going to play some golf tournament somewhere, you might want to check that out.  :lol:

Myself, I am taping a whole lot of shows (no drama shows), movies, documentaries, nature shows, and animated movies, so I'm not entirely bored. 

On the plus side, my dentist cancelled my app. for next Mon. :) 

I cancelled mine last week. My Dentist is Chinese and he cancelled on me the week before because he was sick. Don't know where the hell he's been or who's mouth he's been working on but i'm not taking any chances. It can wait.:lol:

36 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, if things calm down i am sure they will try - but not sure it will work out.

That said, I'd be really curious to see what would happen if the playoffs went into July.  Im no legal expert so im not sure how that would affect their contracts (UFA, RFA  - the insurance on players etc)?  

I mean i dont think its as clear/simple as "contract ends at the end of June" because the players were unable to fulfill the contractual duties (no fault of their own mind you) so its a really bizarre situation. 

yeah I agree, totally bizarre

IIHF has now canceled its tournament.