Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H_T_L

NHL SEASON SUSPENDED: Coronavirus and the NHL

254 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't even think the players get paid for playoff games. Isn't a player's salary paid out entirely during the regular season? Or, I mean, for the regular season games?

I believe there is a pool of money(15 Mil) distributed to all playoff teams. I think how far you go determines how much your team gets. I'm not sure if the owners get the money or if it's distributed among the players but I think the players decide on what each players share is.

Edited by habs1952

46 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I believe there is a pool of money(15 Mil) distributed to all playoff teams. I think how far you go determines how much your team gets. I'm not sure if the owners get the money or if it's distributed among the players but I think the players decide on what each players share is.

Thanks for that. I had no idea.

23 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't even think the players get paid for playoff games. Isn't a player's salary paid out entirely during the regular season? Or, I mean, for the regular season games?

You could be right... that said, I think they still have a final check that they have opted out of for the time being. And don't players get money for winning a series?

On 2020-05-22 at 0:20 PM, habs1952 said:

Last I heard, (years ago) they don't get extra money for PO games. It may have changed tho, but I haven't heard anything different. 

33 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Last I heard, (years ago) they don't get extra money for PO games. It may have changed tho, but I haven't heard anything different. 

Straight from CBA 

"Player Salary." The only allowable form of compensation permitted to be paid to a Player shall be Player Salary, as set forth in this paragraph (a), and Bonuses, as set forth in paragraph (b) below. No other type of compensation, in any form (except only for "Traditional Hockey Practices" as set forth below), shall be permitted to be provided to any Player.

"Player Salary" means the following, which shall be set forth in a Player's SPC, an Offer Sheet, a Qualifying Offer, or a Buy-Out Agreement:" 

To me that means that a player no longer earns money after the last paycheck is issued on April 15th.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Straight from CBA 

"Player Salary." The only allowable form of compensation permitted to be paid to a Player shall be Player Salary, as set forth in this paragraph (a), and Bonuses, as set forth in paragraph (b) below. No other type of compensation, in any form (except only for "Traditional Hockey Practices" as set forth below), shall be permitted to be provided to any Player.

"Player Salary" means the following, which shall be set forth in a Player's SPC, an Offer Sheet, a Qualifying Offer, or a Buy-Out Agreement:" 

To me that means that a player no longer earns money after the last paycheck is issued on April 15th.

No mention of "Playoffs"  in what you've quoted. What does paragraph "B" indicate BTW.

That said, players still receive compensation for a playoff appearance. The NHL and NHL Players’ Association (NHLPA) agree to set aside a playoff bonus pool to be distributed to each playoff team based on how far they advance. It’s referred to in Article 28 of the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) as the Player Fund.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-player-playoff-compensation/

• In 2019, the eight playoff teams that lost in the first round received roughly $2.6 million ($325,000 to each of the teams). With each team having a roster of 25 players, each player received approximately $13,000.
  • The four playoff teams that lost in the second round received $2.6 million ($650,000 to each of the teams); each of the 25 players received approximately $26,000.
  • The two teams that lost in the third round received $1.6 million; each of the 25 players received approximately $65,000.
  • The Stanley Cup Finalist received $3 million; each of the 25 players received approximately $117,000.
  • Stanley Cup Champions received $4.9 million; each of the 25 players received approximately $200,000.
Edited by Habs_Hockey_Nutz

The league to allow training in small groups up to six.  

When the season resumes players are to be tested daily for covid-19 but the average citizen can't get a test. More entitlement? 

12 hours ago, habs1952 said:

When the season resumes players are to be tested daily for covid-19 but the average citizen can't get a test. More entitlement? 

I agree. I love sports but it's not essential by any means. My job is deemed essential but no one has been tested just monitor for symptoms and react after the fact if someone does become positive. I absolutely do want more hockey and I am glad they will be kept as safe as possible. I just believe all who are required to be back or are being asked to be back in the work force should be tested. I understand not everyone may be able to be tested everyday, but should be before being put into the work force and then of course monitoring.                                 I am definitely ready to watch though ……..GO HABS GO!!!

12 hours ago, habs1952 said:

15 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree. I love sports but it's not essential by any means. My job is deemed essential but no one has been tested just monitor for symptoms and react after the fact if someone does become positive. I absolutely do want more hockey and I am glad they will be kept as safe as possible. I just believe all who are required to be back or are being asked to be back in the work force should be tested. I understand not everyone may be able to be tested everyday, but should be before being put into the work force and then of course monitoring.                                 I am definitely ready to watch though ……..GO HABS GO!!!

First off yes all essential workers should be tested everyday to help protect them, however simply put there currently are not enough tests to make this a reality at the moment. The NHL has been told by the public health officials that while right now there are not enough tests to test everyone in late June or early July the number of tests will grow exponentially as more and more everyday companies like 3M are assisting in the manufacturing of these tests. So while you may feel like the NHL and it's players are acting entitled the reality is much simpler, There just are not enough tests at present to allow for testing for everyone but because we are talking about the NHL return in 1-2 months down the road when more tests will be available than the public requires then calling the players or league entitled is a gross injustice IMHO.

3 hours ago, campabee82 said:

First off yes all essential workers should be tested everyday to help protect them, however simply put there currently are not enough tests to make this a reality at the moment. The NHL has been told by the public health officials that while right now there are not enough tests to test everyone in late June or early July the number of tests will grow exponentially as more and more everyday companies like 3M are assisting in the manufacturing of these tests. So while you may feel like the NHL and it's players are acting entitled the reality is much simpler, There just are not enough tests at present to allow for testing for everyone but because we are talking about the NHL return in 1-2 months down the road when more tests will be available than the public requires then calling the players or league entitled is a gross injustice IMHO.

Well we will see. If the everyday workers employer can afford to test their employees and the everyday worker is tested at the same rates "daily" is something yet to be seen. Just because it's a billion dollar sports league with millionaire players shouldn't give them any more priority than the average citizen when it comes to health. That said I live in the US and know of quite a lot of people with no health care at all. I also know of a few friends personally that have always worked and yet have had to claim bankruptcy because of unforeseen medical issues that have happened within their families. So at least in the US there can be a huge disparity unfortunately.

Access to testing has become easier here in Ontario but there is still a huge lag in the time it takes to get results. My daughter is a PSW working in a nursing home and finally got tested ( negative thankfully) a couple weeks ago. It took 5 days to get the results. How many people can you infect in 5 days? A friend of mine informed me that her daughter ( who currently has symptoms) was tested last wed and still hasn't heard back. She has her family isolating waiting to hear back. Until they can get same day results, testing is a farce for the general population IMO. 

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

Access to testing has become easier here in Ontario but there is still a huge lag in the time it takes to get results. My daughter is a PSW working in a nursing home and finally got tested ( negative thankfully) a couple weeks ago. It took 5 days to get the results. How many people can you infect in 5 days? A friend of mine informed me that her daughter ( who currently has symptoms) was tested last wed and still hasn't heard back. She has her family isolating until they hear back. Until they can get same day results, testing is a farce for the general population IMO. 

Hopefully your friends daughter will be fine. The testing itself isn't a "farce" it's only a farce if you're required to go to work before getting the results back. That there in lies the issue. Having to be back before results come back is unnecessary risk. Unfortunately most everyone cannot choose to not go to work if told to do so.

3 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Hopefully your friends daughter will be fine. The testing itself isn't a "farce" it's only a farce if you're required to go to work before getting the results back. That there in lies the issue. Having to be back before results come back is unnecessary risk. Unfortunately most everyone cannot choose to not go to work if told to do so.

The test isn't a farce. The length of time it takes to get results is the problem. Take the Whitehouse for example. They get their results within minutes. There are much quicker ways to do this and people in the health care industry shouldn't have to wait longer then a politician to get results.

17 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Access to testing has become easier here in Ontario but there is still a huge lag in the time it takes to get results. My daughter is a PSW working in a nursing home and finally got tested ( negative thankfully) a couple weeks ago. It took 5 days to get the results. How many people can you infect in 5 days? A friend of mine informed me that her daughter ( who currently has symptoms) was tested last wed and still hasn't heard back. She has her family isolating waiting to hear back. Until they can get same day results, testing is a farce for the general population IMO. 

My friends here in BC didnt get their results for 12 and 13 days respectively.

15 hours ago, H_T_L said:

The test isn't a farce. The length of time it takes to get results is the problem. Take the Whitehouse for example. They get their results within minutes. There are much quicker ways to do this and people in the health care industry shouldn't have to wait longer then a politician to get results.

Yes I agree the length of time to get results back is a huge issue however there is a team in Australia currently working on a better, quicker, less invasive way to test for the virus. They are experimenting using saliva like what they do with SARS which is also a strain of coronavirus. I have not heard whether or not these experiments have been successful or not but hopefully they get the new testing procedure out soon. I know my employer does not want us back in the office for at least another month and we have to do a questionnaire everyday before going into the office and if we answer  even 1 question relating to symptoms with a yes we are not allowed to enter the office until either we get a negative test result or we quarantine for at least 14 days.

The NFL has announced that Phase 2 of return to play will begin Monday! If phase 2 lasts from now until the 10th then I can see phase 3 only being 1-2 Weeks with maybe 3 games thrown in.

Arizona staff member has tested positive for the virus.  

Multiple players and staff from the Lightning have tested positive. Facility has been shut down. This ain't gonna happen IMO.

39 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Multiple players and staff from the Lightning have tested positive. Facility has been shut down. This ain't gonna happen IMO.

The entire roster of a 2nd division football club (Dresden) had to go into quarantine after players tested positive over here. Unlike all the other teams, they then had to play 9 games within 17 days to catch up with the rest of the bunch, which is basically unheard of. Needless to say they didn't manage to win a whole lot of those games, now they're officially relegated to the 3rd division and will consider legal action against the league according to reports. I don't care about the club at all because they're notorious for their fans being extremely right-wing and openly racist but the situation is a joke nonetheless. I mean, without an even playing field, why bother at all?

39 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

The entire roster of a 2nd division football club (Dresden) had to go into quarantine after players tested positive over here. Unlike all the other teams, they then had to play 9 games within 17 days to catch up with the rest of the bunch, which is basically unheard of. Needless to say they didn't manage to win a whole lot of those games, now they're officially relegated to the 3rd division and will consider legal action against the league according to reports. I don't care about the club at all because they're notorious for their fans being extremely right-wing and openly racist but the situation is a joke nonetheless. I mean, without an even playing field, why bother at all?

Seeing the same thing in baseball now with a bunch of players and staff from Philly testing positive.

Hearing news/rumours that Mathews from the Leafs tested positive.