Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kinot-2

Anything Regarding the Virus Thread

395 posts in this topic

U.S. has already hit a 50,000 in one day.  Fauci says it could reach 100,000 a day.  

Posted (edited)

Ya know, we've all seen or heard of people doing stupid and moronic things, but, I* read a new one  from CNN. To wit:

"Some young people in Alabama are throwing Covid-19 parties, a disturbing competition where people who have coronavirus attend and the first person to get infected receives a payout, local officials said.

The parties are being held in Tuscaloosa, and infected people are urged to attend so others can intentionally contract the virus, City Council member Sonya McKinstry told CNN. She said she heard about the trend from fire officials.
"We thought that was kind of a rumors at first. We did some research, not only do the doctors' offices confirm it, but the state confirmed they also had the same information," she said.

During a presentation to the City Council this week, Fire Chief Randy Smith also said young people in the city are throwing parties with a payout if they catch coronavirus, McKinstry said.
The first person confirmed by a doctor to have coronavirus after the exposure wins the money made off the ticket sales, she said. Over the past few weeks, there have been several parties in the city and surrounding areas, and probably more that officials don't know about, she added.
"It makes me furious," McKinstry said. "Furious to the fact that something that is so serious and deadly is being taken for granted. Not only is it irresponsible, but you could contract the virus and take it home to your parents or grandparents."
The city is working on getting the word out and breaking up such parties. It also passed a mask ordinance this week that goes into effect Monday.
"This is not political. This is a public health issue. People are dying and there is no cure. We have to do whatever we can to save as many lives as possible, McKinstry said.
CNN has reached out to the Alabama Health Department for comment. The state has reported about 39,000 confirmed coronavirus cases and nearly 1,000 deaths."
Edited by kinot-2

Posted (edited)

Ya know, whenever  I hear/or see,  people gathering at a beach or bar, I think to myself " How many of you will die?" 

Edited by kinot-2

9 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya know, whenever  I hear/or see,  people gathering at a beach or bar, I think to myself " How many of you will die?" 

I usually think, "How many other people might you infect at the grocery store who didn't participate in going to the beach or bar who might die?"

11 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

I think, "The world has too many morons".

Multiple reports surfacing now, including from Arpon Basu, that several Habs players have tested positive for COVID-19.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Multiple reports surfacing now, including from Arpon Basu, that several Habs players have tested positive for COVID-19.

I wonder how many Pitts has. :)

47 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I wonder how many Pitts has. :)

You've just blown your Lady Bing nomination.

Million dollar question here people...if multiple Habs have tested positive shouldn’t training camp and their practice facility be shut down? 

19 minutes ago, rocketbelifleur said:

You've just blown your Lady Bing nomination.

:6351:

U.S. continues to set records for new cases.  We all know who's responsible.  

11 hours ago, I-Am-Canadian_mtl said:

Million dollar question here people...if multiple Habs have tested positive shouldn’t training camp and their practice facility be shut down? 

one would think.

Unless these are players that havent hit the ice/interacted with others but even then, who have they interacted with? Trainers? Coaches?  

This thing is a mess. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

one would think.

Unless these are players that havent hit the ice/interacted with others but even then, who have they interacted with? Trainers? Coaches?  

This thing is a mess. 

Yeah. If three have tested positive, hopefully it was before interacting with any other players/staff on the team. If not... I suppose it's likely we might see additional confirmed cases in the coming weeks. Although, arguably this information should never have reached the media. I'm sure we'll hear names eventually, which would be a disgusting invasion of privacy for these people.

58 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah. If three have tested positive, hopefully it was before interacting with any other players/staff on the team. If not... I suppose it's likely we might see additional confirmed cases in the coming weeks. Although, arguably this information should never have reached the media. I'm sure we'll hear names eventually, which would be a disgusting invasion of privacy for these people.

There's speculation that if its rampant & we cant have a proper training camp, we could potentially forfeit & allow pittsburgh to move on.   That would put us in a guranteed 12.5% shot a 1st OV.    

Thing is, its fine with us - we're the lowest seed & pittsburgh was the highest - but what if this happens to a top seed like the hurricanes, the flames etc?  What if a team that is in the round robin has an issue?

Its not going to get any less complicated in the coming weeks. 

I think this pretty much rules out Domi, if not the whole team. 

MB says Domi is nervous about coming back. Don't blame him, although wouldn't blame any of the other Habs about being nervous too. They're not immune just because they don't have diabetes. All in all, seems like a dumb idea to be playing hockey period, not just for Domi.

Kulak, Brook, and Ouellet, yes, were the three guys listed as "unable to practice" and Arpon Basu had said "at least 3 Habs" have tested positive according to reports. So would figure these are the three. But... I guess also possible that someone else had already tested positive and cleared the virus and one of those three is out with something else. Or maybe there were never three and that was just a rumor. NHL has decided that secrecy is most important again, even while other leagues give full disclosure. The NHL said they want to avoid speculation and instead they've just created more.

Overall, the NHL reports 43 total COVID cases among about 600 players tested. Seems like a pretty high number considering they're all still just coming back. That's about 7% of players tested, which is higher than the known prevalence in the general population.

Well at least its consistently confusing.

According to an article from The Athletic, the Montreal Canadiens have been informed of multiple positive COVID-19 tests.

UPDATE: The Athletic is now reporting that two of the positive tests have been found to be false positives

UPDATE: A source tells @TheAthleticMTL that two of the positive tests on the Canadiens from last week turned out to be "false positives." Our story from yesterday has been updated with the new information. https://t.co/eK2kIPgew3
— Аrpon Basu (@ArponBasu) July 13, 2020

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Well at least its consistently confusing.

According to an article from The Athletic, the Montreal Canadiens have been informed of multiple positive COVID-19 tests.

UPDATE: The Athletic is now reporting that two of the positive tests have been found to be false positives

UPDATE: A source tells @TheAthleticMTL that two of the positive tests on the Canadiens from last week turned out to be "false positives." Our story from yesterday has been updated with the new information. https://t.co/eK2kIPgew3
— Аrpon Basu (@ArponBasu) July 13, 2020

Not to discount Arpon Basu, because I'm sure he's reporting what he heard, but this seems like a load of something. I know you can have false negative tests where someone caught the virus but they can't detect it yet or where the test wasn't done well. But from everything I've seen, the test is very good at being correct when it comes back positive. In other words, "false positives" are extremely rare, never mind having two out of three on the same team at the same time. It doesn't make much sense. Also doesn't explain why three Habs missed practice nor why Domi is waiting 7-10 days, whereas a bunch of positives would explain all that. I don't really know what new information would make the team feel the results weren't real positives. If the players repeated the test and it came back negative the 2nd time, it would be more likely the first test was right and the 2nd one was either a false negative or the virus was cleared. I don't buy this false positive business...

I believe this belongs here. 

108273056_3180899321932617_1040691813765178359_n.jpg

109779300_10164758632800377_3091716383670970899_n.jpg

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

109779300_10164758632800377_3091716383670970899_n.jpg

If we're lucky!!

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

If we're lucky!!

Maybe that's actually December 2021.

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Maybe that's actually December 2021.

Oof.  Could be!

U. S. has reached four million cases.  How's that for washing your hands of the pandemic?  

U.S. records over 1000 new deaths for third straight day.  

Fourth straight day of 1000 deaths from the virus in U.S.