Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kinot-2

Anything Regarding the Virus Thread

389 posts in this topic

Yup. Coronavirus is the blanket term for the disease. There have been tons of them including (some of the more well known Coronaviruses) SARS, MERS - and now COVID 19    Like Manatee, Im pretty sure the 19 refers to the year, not the 19th strain because i believe there have actually been way more than that.  Animals get Coronavirus strains all the time. (I think both Mammals and Birds can get it although i dont believe we can transmit COVID to our pets).

In December, when the strain was first catalogued WHO called it 2019-nCoV and then actually called it SARS-COV2 I believe - because they thought it was heavily related to SARS (70% genetically similar strain). But it was finally named COVID-19 which is the 'official" term now although most of us still call it "Coronavirus" and if you're Trump you call it something completely asinine on Twitter. 

1 hour ago, Manatee-X said:

My understanding is that COVID-19 stands for the COronaVIrus Disease that was discovered in 2019

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, COVID-19 is the strain of Coronavirus the world is currently dealing with. I'm guessing there were another 18 before it, but that they didn't present the same problem to humans that number 19 does.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yup. Coronavirus is the blanket term for the disease. There have been tons of them including (some of the more well known Coronaviruses) SARS, MERS - and now COVID 19    Like Manatee, Im pretty sure the 19 refers to the year, not the 19th strain because i believe there have actually been way more than that.  Animals get Coronavirus strains all the time. (I think both Mammals and Birds can get it although i dont believe we can transmit COVID to our pets).

In December, when the strain was first catalogued WHO called it 2019-nCoV and then actually called it SARS-COV2 I believe - because they thought it was heavily related to SARS (70% genetically similar strain). But it was finally named COVID-19 which is the 'official" term now although most of us still call it "Coronavirus" and if you're Trump you call it something completely asinine on Twitter. 

Well, I guess that sounds better than Bill-19 or Tammy-19. :lol:

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, COVID-19 is the strain of Coronavirus the world is currently dealing with. I'm guessing there were another 18 before it, but that they didn't present the same problem to humans that number 19 does.

The 19 is based on the year it was detected.

Here is a brief overview of why it is important to change your lifestyle and not ignore this:

- Yes, China has been able to cut down the COVID cases. They are not out of the woods yet. They still have new cases and until there are no new cases for 28 days, the pandemic is not over. And that's worldwide. China also has a lot of resources and built a lot of new hospitals to deal with it. Canada can't and likely won't do that. We have what we have to some degree.

- Without people self-quarantining to stop the spread, it is estimated that 50-75% of the population will become infected over the next year.

- It is estimated that 20% will have moderate to severe cases requiring medical assessment or hospitalization.

- It is estimated that 5% will need ICU care and a ventilator.

- I think Canada has something like 4,000 ICU beds across the country. The entire country.

So do the math. If there are close to 40 million people in Canada and say 25 million get the virus, then is is estimated that 5% of those (i.e. over a million people) will need ICU and a ventilator. If all of those 1 million people need it at the same time and there are 4,000 ventilators available, you have a problem. Even if it's a small fraction of that and you have 20,000 people who need ventilators, that's still a problem. Canada does not have enough ICU beds and doctors and nurses and machines to care for everyone. This is precisely what is happening in Italy, where they don't have enough beds and are not letting people over the age of 70 or 80 die because they are choosing to treat younger people instead. Some say they may have to start not treating people over 60 or 65 soon. And yes, younger people are dying too, even if not in percentages that are as high.

The problem is that most of the transmission is being done by younger people and people who don't have symptoms (either because they have mild cases or because they haven't yet developed symptoms at the point they're spreading things around). By the time you figure this out, it's too late.

So say all 40 million people just go about their normal lives. You get widespread exposure, big numbers of sick people at the same time and lots of people who die because medical care doesn't save them OR who die because they could have been saved but there isn't enough medical equipment.

If you have most people isolating, then the chances of people getting exposed drops. It isn't zero, but it's much lower. The more people who isolate, the fewer exposures, the fewer cases, the fewer people who need an ICU. And even if they do end up getting the virus, if you can stretch out the time period before people get sick, then it helps the medical system. So say you isolate and get unlucky and happen to catch the virus in 6 months and someone else gets it in 8 months and so on, instead of everyone being exposed in the next 3-4 weeks, then maybe there's an ICU bed for you when you need it if you need it.

I completely get that you don't see the virus until it's too late and I get that you can't measure what your own actions are doing in real time. But you have to trust in the statistics and the medical field and public health officials and government on this one. Every person who follows precautions and doesn't travel and doesn't go to work and doesn't socialize helps to slow down the spread and give the medical community a better chance of coping with the numbers.

If you skimmed the above, I'll put this in hockey terms. Say there's a flu virus going through the Habs dressing room. Maybe some players get it and others don't. It's luck to some degree whether you get taken down. But if you put all the players in the same room and tell them to share water bottles and so on, there's a higher likelihood more guys get sick. Now maybe if one or two are sick at a time, the team still has enough good players to win games. The catastrophe is if you have 10-12 guys on the 23-man roster who are all sick at the same time... you can use injuries as an analogy too. The Habs have 1-2 ambulances at each game. If Player A goes off with a neck injury in an ambulance and Player B goes off with one two minutes later, you're up the creek and the game can't continue until a 3rd ambulance arrives at the arena. Timing matters. You can't have too many people getting sick/injured at the same time, or the consequences become much graver.

Same deal with this. Maybe a vaccine will come at some point. Otherwise, the best thing we can all do is stay home and slow the spread as much as possible. If some of you don't do this, then you're putting everyone else here at jeopardy.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Here is a brief overview of why it is important to change your lifestyle and not ignore this:

- Yes, China has been able to cut down the COVID cases. They are not out of the woods yet. They still have new cases and until there are no new cases for 28 days, the pandemic is not over. And that's worldwide. China also has a lot of resources and built a lot of new hospitals to deal with it. Canada can't and likely won't do that. We have what we have to some degree.

- Without people self-quarantining to stop the spread, it is estimated that 50-75% of the population will become infected over the next year.

- It is estimated that 20% will have moderate to severe cases requiring medical assessment or hospitalization.

- It is estimated that 5% will need ICU care and a ventilator.

- I think Canada has something like 4,000 ICU beds across the country. The entire country.

So do the math. If there are close to 40 million people in Canada and say 25 million get the virus, then is is estimated that 5% of those (i.e. over a million people) will need ICU and a ventilator. If all of those 1 million people need it at the same time and there are 4,000 ventilators available, you have a problem. Even if it's a small fraction of that and you have 20,000 people who need ventilators, that's still a problem. Canada does not have enough ICU beds and doctors and nurses and machines to care for everyone. This is precisely what is happening in Italy, where they don't have enough beds and are not letting people over the age of 70 or 80 die because they are choosing to treat younger people instead. Some say they may have to start not treating people over 60 or 65 soon. And yes, younger people are dying too, even if not in percentages that are as high.

The problem is that most of the transmission is being done by younger people and people who don't have symptoms (either because they have mild cases or because they haven't yet developed symptoms at the point they're spreading things around). By the time you figure this out, it's too late.

So say all 40 million people just go about their normal lives. You get widespread exposure, big numbers of sick people at the same time and lots of people who die because medical care doesn't save them OR who die because they could have been saved but there isn't enough medical equipment.

If you have most people isolating, then the chances of people getting exposed drops. It isn't zero, but it's much lower. The more people who isolate, the fewer exposures, the fewer cases, the fewer people who need an ICU. And even if they do end up getting the virus, if you can stretch out the time period before people get sick, then it helps the medical system. So say you isolate and get unlucky and happen to catch the virus in 6 months and someone else gets it in 8 months and so on, instead of everyone being exposed in the next 3-4 weeks, then maybe there's an ICU bed for you when you need it if you need it.

I completely get that you don't see the virus until it's too late and I get that you can't measure what your own actions are doing in real time. But you have to trust in the statistics and the medical field and public health officials and government on this one. Every person who follows precautions and doesn't travel and doesn't go to work and doesn't socialize helps to slow down the spread and give the medical community a better chance of coping with the numbers.

If you skimmed the above, I'll put this in hockey terms. Say there's a flu virus going through the Habs dressing room. Maybe some players get it and others don't. It's luck to some degree whether you get taken down. But if you put all the players in the same room and tell them to share water bottles and so on, there's a higher likelihood more guys get sick. Now maybe if one or two are sick at a time, the team still has enough good players to win games. The catastrophe is if you have 10-12 guys on the 23-man roster who are all sick at the same time... you can use injuries as an analogy too. The Habs have 1-2 ambulances at each game. If Player A goes off with a neck injury in an ambulance and Player B goes off with one two minutes later, you're up the creek and the game can't continue until a 3rd ambulance arrives at the arena. Timing matters. You can't have too many people getting sick/injured at the same time, or the consequences become much graver.

Same deal with this. Maybe a vaccine will come at some point. Otherwise, the best thing we can all do is stay home and slow the spread as much as possible. If some of you don't do this, then you're putting everyone else here at jeopardy.

Very well put BT.   Also, according to WHO there are currently 197,887 cases (as i type this)  There are 7,955 deaths - so, 4% mortality rate, right?  Wrong.  Only 81,727 of those cases have "officially" recovered. We have no idea what number of those will eventually die.

Worse still, those numbers (of confirmed cases) dont tell even close to the whole story. I have 2 friends who returned from Asia and had the test last monday... 9 days later & they still dont have their results back.  Others never get tested or are told they cant be tested.  We really dont know what the true numbers are but what we do know is that its spreading like just about nothing we've seen before.  72 hr infection-life on a smooth surface! thats nuts. 

Some people just don't give a damn such as these Queen's University students in Kingston.

KI.0314-ki-stpats01.jpg

KI.0314-ki-stpats06.jpg

17 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Some people just don't give a damn such as these Queen's University students in Kingston.

KI.0314-ki-stpats01.jpg

KI.0314-ki-stpats06.jpg

Haven't seen anything on Fanshawe or Western students yet.

Posted (edited)

Yesterday at my grocery store, so weird. No-one was wearing masks (including me), but I was in and out in 20 mins. Because I always look for sales, I have a fully stocked 5 CF freezer, and stocked cupboard. When TP is on sale I buy enough to last about 3 mons., (prolly have enough for 1 1/2 mons.).  I have 11 containers of leftovers in the fridge freezer. I put bread and buns in the oven (virtually air tight), and they stay fresh for about 3 weeks. My "must haves" are milk, bread, eggs, pop, and rye. :P

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

Edited by kinot-2

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

I put  buns in the oven...

Ok so we know what you're doing... :4224:

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Ok so we know what you're doing... :4224:

:6416: You know what I meant. 

Edited by kinot-2

2 hours ago, habs1952 said:

KI.0314-ki-stpats01.jpg

KI.0314-ki-stpats06.jpg

Just watched the Kitchener news, Ezra Ave. was deserted. Nothing happened. 

Some stores are experiencing panic buying early in the day but I find if you go later, just about everything is readily available. Went to Sobey's about an hour ago and the store had maybe 30 to 40 customers total and everything looked well stocked. No lineups at registers to speak of. Expect a run at the stores tomorrow because there are some Gov. payments out by then from what i'm told. Not sure which.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Some stores are experiencing panic buying early in the day but I find if you go later, just about everything is readily available. Went to Sobey's about an hour ago and the store had maybe 30 to 40 customers total and everything looked well stocked. No lineups at registers to speak of. Expect a run at the stores tomorrow because there are some Gov. payments out by then from what i'm told. Not sure which.

ya, heard the same thing.  

Posted (edited)

89542744_10158291490828140_7691572753895260160_n.jpg

90316731_10216762450352910_6173013192956968960_n.jpg

Edited by kinot-2

3 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

90316731_10216762450352910_6173013192956968960_n.jpg

Pfft, as if the professor didnt invent a toilet-paper machine out of coconuts, a makeshift wind-turbine and Mrs. Howell's negligee

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Pfft, as if the professor didnt invent a toilet-paper machine out of coconuts, a makeshift wind-turbine and Mrs. Howell's negligee

LOL

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Concerning beef, our Costco only had hamburger meat and some round steak wrapped in bacon left when I went at noon. I picked up some of both. Lots of pork and chicken though. And to be on the safe side, I picked up 2 bundles (12 boxes each)  of kleenex because, you just never know. Oh yeah, 1060 napkins. :)

Edited by habs1952

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Concerning beef, our Costco only had hamburger meat and some round steak wrapped in bacon left when I went at noon. I picked up some of both. Lots of pork and chicken though. And to be on the safe side, I picked up 2 bundles (12 boxes each)  of kleenex because, you just never know. Oh yeah, 1060 napkins. :)

I keep a "freezer list" of what is in my 5 CF freezer and I have what I figure is just over 50 meals in there and my fridge freezer.. Plus I also have roughly 60 cans of soup, 3 KD, 7 cans of salmon, 42 rolls of TP. That's not including what my wife has in her freezer or her stash of TP (don't ask, it works  :P ). Not bragging, but. I think it's because of growing up poor. 

So, IMO, we could last prolly 8 mons. if everything shut down. Well, except for booze, bread, milk and pop. 

Because of the Canadian $ dropping, my wife and I have $2500 in U.S. bucks in a safe.. I'll talk to her soon about cashing it in. 

P.S. I will sell TP for $1 per roll. 

:ph34r:

Edited by kinot-2

9 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I keep a "freezer list" of what is in my 5 CF freezer and I have what I figure is just over 50 meals in there and my fridge freezer.. Plus I also have roughly 60 cans of soup, 3 KD, 7 cans of salmon, 42 rolls of TP. That's not including what my wife has in her freezer or her stash of TP (don't ask, it works  :P ). Not bragging, but. I think it's because of growing up poor. 

So, IMO, we could last prolly 8 mons. if everything shut down. Well, except for booze, bread, milk and pop. 

Because of the Canadian $ dropping, my wife and I have $2500 in U.S. bucks in a safe.. I'll talk to her soon about cashing it in. 

You and your wife have your own personal freezers? LOL! I suppose you both have padlocks on them. LOL! 

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

You and your wife have your own personal freezers? LOL! I suppose you both have padlocks on them. LOL! 

Nope, just around the TP. :frech1:

Thank goodness I am stocked with the really good stuff for about 3 years.. :P

Edited by kinot-2

90064235_1458702817643994_2209063437391101952_o.jpg

89996714_520423258667204_5850590144075137024_n.jpg

Putin has now blamed the U.S. for the outbreak in an attempt to get back at China.  He doesn't miss an opportunity.  

11 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Nice of you to advertise. Only thing missing from that list is your address.:ph34r:

55 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Nice of you to advertise. Only thing missing from that list is your address.:ph34r:

And even if you try to 411 him, hard to know which one he is... there's kinot, kinot-1, kinot-2... all part of the master plan it seems.