Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
campabee82

Alexander Romanov

34 posts in this topic

Signed to a 3 year entry level deal this week, wondering what everyone thinks his ceiling is.

A rival GM says this about Romanov

"Canadiens’ Romanov comparable to Kings’ Doughty, says Eastern Conference exec"

Is this a fair and accurate comparison or should we lower our expectations?

Here is a link to the complete story 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-romanov-comparable-kings-doughty-says-eastern-conference-exec/sn-amp/

Not sure how anyone can really compare a norris winning second overall pick to a second rounder but I’m just hopeful he can finally fill a hole on the left side. 

Strikes me as a bit of a click-baity title on Sportsnet. The actual quote in the article is reasonable, the unnamed exec simply says that Romanov's style of play was comparable to Doughty's in a way because both want to take command of the game.

I see him as a very solid top 4 guy who's physical and strong on his skates, so essentially what Beaulieu was supposed to be. His offense will ultimately decide if he'll be a true top-pairing guy or not IMO, and there still seems to be a lot of debate in that regard.

12 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Signed to a 3 year entry level deal this week, wondering what everyone thinks his ceiling is.

I've seen too many Hab's draft picks fail so I'm not going to make an assumption on Romanov's ceiling. I will say I've been impressed with what I've seen of him so far(which is very little) and so I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope he excels in Montreal. 

21 hours ago, campabee82 said:

A rival GM says this about Romanov

"Canadiens’ Romanov comparable to Kings’ Doughty, says Eastern Conference exec"

Is this a fair and accurate comparison or should we lower our expectations?

Look im excited to have Romanov join the group but I think we need to waaay lower our expectations from Doughty 2.0

Right now im not even convinced he's going to be our best LD in 4 years. I DO think he will be a legit NHLer and I DO think he should make it to the top 2 pairs within a couple of years but id be very surprised if he just jumped in and made a huge impact right away.  I hope im wrong.

I fear that now that he is signed MB will not make any further moves to our LD corps and while it *may* work out (Romanov jumps in, Mete continues to develop etc) its a but 'hope and a prayer' which is no way to build a team... although on MB seems to like to employ. 

16 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Strikes me as a bit of a click-baity title on Sportsnet. The actual quote in the article is reasonable, the unnamed exec simply says that Romanov's style of play was comparable to Doughty's in a way because both want to take command of the game.

I see him as a very solid top 4 guy who's physical and strong on his skates, so essentially what Beaulieu was supposed to be. His offense will ultimately decide if he'll be a true top-pairing guy or not IMO, and there still seems to be a lot of debate in that regard.

I think he has definite potential to be a top pairing defenseman. I disagree that a top pairing d has to be a top producer points wise. A solid defenseman that you can count on in all situations is what I always consider a great defenseman. He doesn't have to put up a lot of points. To many defenseman give up solid defensive play for the offensive side of the game.

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Look im excited to have Romanov join the group but I think we need to waaay lower our expectations from Doughty 2.0

Right now im not even convinced he's going to be our best LD in 4 years. I DO think he will be a legit NHLer and I DO think he should make it to the top 2 pairs within a couple of years but id be very surprised if he just jumped in and made a huge impact right away.  I hope im wrong.

I fear that now that he is signed MB will not make any further moves to our LD corps and while it *may* work out (Romanov jumps in, Mete continues to develop etc) its a but 'hope and a prayer' which is no way to build a team... although on MB seems to like to employ. 

LOL I was quoting the article not saying he was Doughty 2.0 honestly I have only seen him play like 2 games at the WJ so I have no idea what he is going to be just wanted some insight as to what others felt he was going to be

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 0:44 AM, booboo_mtl said:

Not sure how anyone can really compare a norris winning second overall pick to a second rounder but I’m just hopeful he can finally fill a hole on the left side. 

Subban was also a 2nd round pick who had comparisons very early.

9 hours ago, campabee82 said:

LOL I was quoting the article not saying he was Doughty 2.0 honestly I have only seen him play like 2 games at the WJ so I have no idea what he is going to be just wanted some insight as to what others felt he was going to be

Yes I know that. I wasnt suggesting you were. I was saying that people in general need to temper their expectations.  Not sure why you took it that way?

13 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

A solid defenseman that you can count on in all situations is what I always consider a great defenseman. He doesn't have to put up a lot of points.

:6280:

My expectations are low for his rookie season. Beyond that, I have no idea. But I really, really don't expect Romanov to solve our defensive problems in 2020-21. I mean, it's gotta take him a few seasons to adjust to the NHL, no?

9 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

My expectations are low for his rookie season. Beyond that, I have no idea. But I really, really don't expect Romanov to solve our defensive problems in 2020-21. I mean, it's gotta take him a few seasons to adjust to the NHL, no?

In very, VERY rare cases guys have come over & stepped in right away but I agree, its almost certainly going to take a bit of time for him to understand and excel in Julien's system. 

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yes I know that. I wasnt suggesting you were. I was saying that people in general need to temper their expectations.  Not sure why you took it that way?

Oh I was not offended Just thought you thought I was comparing them lol. Although looking at our left side Romanov could easily be an upgrade on both Mete and Kulak and may be able to give Chiarot a run for his money if the pundits are at all close in their projections, but that speaks more to the lack of quality LHD on the Habs than the abilities of Romanov himself.

Also possible he ends up in Laval. 

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Also possible he ends up in Laval. 

I doubt that, we are so soft on that side he would have to be totally lost to end up down there.

On 5/11/2020 at 7:17 PM, ramcharger440 said:

I doubt that, we are so soft on that side he would have to be totally lost to end up down there.

Knock on wood.

I could absolutely see him looking lost and becoming a scapegoat of the coaching staff or something. I hope that does not happen.

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Knock on wood.

I could absolutely see him looking lost and becoming a scapegoat of the coaching staff or something. I hope that does not happen.

Skill wise I have little doubt he's capable.  The real question is headspace - and im not saying his, he may be a rock - but you never know how a player will react to a new team, new system, new coach - completely new way of life.   

I'll say im cautiously optomistic. I think there's a good chance he'll perform at NHL level (3rd pair at least) to start and will stick with the club.  I think its highly unlikely he'll jump in next to Weber on day one, but you never know.   Maybe a diferent player (ie Mete) will make a jump and allow us to play Pete-Mete as the 1st pair & Weber-Romanov 2nd so his assignments aren't quite so rigourous.  Maybe MB will shock us all & sign a true top 4 LD (unlikely).  

Just going to remind everyone of this... here are some scouting reports on Alexei Emelin from before he came over to join the Habs:

Strengths: A very physical blueliner who skates well for his size.  His shot is
also an impressive weapon.

Weaknesses: Discipline has long been a concern with him; he often takes himself out of the play to make the big hit. Despite his offensive tools, he has yet to have a big impact in that element.

Projected Role: Top four defenceman

In addition to being a tough, gritty defenseman who excels in the physical side of the game, Emelin's offensive production has risen drastically in recent years. Emelin was a mainstay on the blue line for AK Bars Kazan, winning back-to-back Gagarin Cups as KHL champions.

From GM Pierre Gauthier at the time: “We are very pleased to have reached an agreement with Alexsey Emelin. Alexsey is a steady, physical defenseman with strong skating ability. The experience he has acquired in the KHL over the past few years will make for a smooth transition to the NHL"

Many compare him to Kasparaitis. Yes, it’s not a bad comparison, although Emelin has bigger offensive skills.

Those are just a few of the reports on Emelin and while there's no Doughty comparison there, there was lots of talk about Emelin being a big hitter (which turned out to be true), a great skater (meh), and have a great shot with offensive upside (I'd say his shot was underrated here but he hardly produced anything offensively with it). I see Romanov as being an NHL-caliber D man who has a shot at stepping in right away. But while he's been strong physically and has a decent shot and skating, it remains to be seen if he'll be any more effective than Emelin, who came over with a similar scouting report. True that Emelin wasn't as dominant in junior as Romanov, but their contributions in Russia at the adult level weren't that dissimilar. Exciting to think we have a highly-regarded prospect in Romanov, but far from being a sure thing that he'll be more than a #4 D man.

On 11.5.2020 at 4:50 AM, CaptWelly said:

I think he has definite potential to be a top pairing defenseman. I disagree that a top pairing d has to be a top producer points wise. A solid defenseman that you can count on in all situations is what I always consider a great defenseman. He doesn't have to put up a lot of points. To many defenseman give up solid defensive play for the offensive side of the game.

I think you misunderstood me because you're disagreeing with something I've never said, my point was that his offense will decide whether he'll be a top pairing guy or a #4 dman. I didn't say that he has to be a top-producer to be useful, however, if the goal is to play him north of 25 minutes per night, which is what both Bergevin and Timmins stated, there has to be some offensive acumen because otherwise I just don't see where the mintues will come from. It's just the nature of the game. He did produce at the World Juniors against peers, so some scouts think the potential is there, but he didn't show much offense in the KHL. He did play on a stacked team though, so maybe it just wasn't his role given his age, but nobody really knows at this point. I don't care either way though, he's an exciting prospect to have and I truly think he'll be fine once he's settled in. I also consider him an upgrade on Emelin, but there still are a lot of different opinions on his offensive potential.

If he can be a depth player and be a number 5 or 6 to start with that is a huge bonus for our depth chart. If he needs some time in Laval there is no harm in that either. I'm excited about the signing as it means the NHL is most likely where he wants to be although he is very young and things happen .So far this pick is trending in the right direction and I look forward to seeing him in a Hab's uniform. Being around Shea Weber and Jeff Petry won't hurt either. Kids like this can often put a little spark back in their teammates game. Will an Alzner buy out be coming soon?

16 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

If he can be a depth player and be a number 5 or 6 to start with that is a huge bonus for our depth chart. If he needs some time in Laval there is no harm in that either. I'm excited about the signing as it means the NHL is most likely where he wants to be although he is very young and things happen .So far this pick is trending in the right direction and I look forward to seeing him in a Hab's uniform. Being around Shea Weber and Jeff Petry won't hurt either. Kids like this can often put a little spark back in their teammates game. Will an Alzner buy out be coming soon?

He may have signed simply to get out of Russia and their Covid situation.:lol:

On 2020-05-14 at 0:37 PM, H_T_L said:

He may have signed simply to get out of Russia and their Covid situation.:lol:

In that case we may all be off topic.

NHLPA will be contesting the league's decision.

It sounds like there's a decent chance Romanov does play - its pretty arbitrary to allow a guy like Robertson to play & Romanov not to.  Good break-down of the whole thing here (a penguins-specific site no less):

https://www.pensburgh.com/2020/6/2/21278447/nhlpa-will-contest-the-nhl-decision-about-free-agents-montreal-canadiens-alexander-romanov

Canadiens fans are going to have to wait until next season to see Alexander Romanov in action.

The 20-year-old Russian defenceman, who signed an NHL entry-level contract with the Canadiens in May, won’t be eligible to play in next month’s playoffs. The Canadiens could still decide to have Romanov take part in training camp next week after selecting him in the second round (38th overall) of the 2018 NHL Draft.

On 7/8/2020 at 9:00 PM, H_T_L said:

Canadiens fans are going to have to wait until next season to see Alexander Romanov in action.

The 20-year-old Russian defenceman, who signed an NHL entry-level contract with the Canadiens in May, won’t be eligible to play in next month’s playoffs. The Canadiens could still decide to have Romanov take part in training camp next week after selecting him in the second round (38th overall) of the 2018 NHL Draft.

Which would be odd for us to do if it burns a year off his ELC.