The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Alexander Romanov

campabee82

10 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Well looks like it's time.

if he doesnt come in tonight (assuming Jeff doesnt make a miraculous recovery) then I think we know something is up. Like if Ouellet dresses or something, then you have to figure there's an injury or some personal issue that is keeping him on the sidelines. 

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

if he doesnt come in tonight (assuming Jeff doesnt make a miraculous recovery) then I think we know something is up. Like if Ouellet dresses or something, then you have to figure there's an injury or some personal issue that is keeping him on the sidelines. 

Yep the kid had a drop off at the end of the year but he should be chomping at the bit to go now!

45 minutes ago, maas_art said:

If Ouellet draws in... I will be floored. But then again, I was pretty surprised to see Merrill in the series as well.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Except that I believe teams are required to report injuries. They have to say lower body or upper body and not anything more, but I don't think they're allowed to hide them and there could be repercussions if they were caught. So I don't think this is an injury issue.

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Except that I believe teams are required to report injuries. They have to say lower body or upper body and not anything more, but I don't think they're allowed to hide them and there could be repercussions if they were caught. So I don't think this is an injury issue.

Maybe not physical but perhaps he's got something personal/mental happening.  

I know the team has put themselves in a position where its difficult to trust they are doing the right thing but with all the things they are getting right, right now, i have a hard time believing they could get this, this wrong.  I mean they are giving CC lots of playing time, they are trusting Suzuki and JK, they were putting Evans against the other team's top lines.... it just sees so odd they wouldnt even try Romanov - especially considering the assignments they gave him in the regular season. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Maybe not physical but perhaps he's got something personal/mental happening.  

I know the team has put themselves in a position where its difficult to trust they are doing the right thing but with all the things they are getting right, right now, i have a hard time believing they could get this, this wrong.  I mean they are giving CC lots of playing time, they are trusting Suzuki and JK, they were putting Evans against the other team's top lines.... it just sees so odd they wouldnt even try Romanov - especially considering the assignments they gave him in the regular season. 

Arpon Basu reporting that Ducharme has come up with a new answer for Romanov. Now he's saying that Romanov has things to work on and that the team is still working with him and hoping he develops and improves and that they still like him and hope he can be a contributor in the future. He added that the things Romanov needs to work on are between him and Romanov and that they can't be shared with the media or public. So a very vague answer, akin to MB claiming he couldn't divulge the reason he traded for John Scott. More of the "I know and it's a good reason but I can't tell you"... the whole thing is fishy. The tone DD used in his answer suggested the Habs had no real intention of playing Romanov anytime soon unless they were really forced into it. The fact DD answered "it'll be Ouellet or Romanov if Petry can't go tonight" tells me it'll probably be Ouellet and DD just doesn't want to have to answer the questions about why it's not Romanov unless Petry truly can't go and he's forced to show his hand. Merrill is also skating again, so I think DD is hoping if he gets through today that he doesn't ever have to answer the reasoning as to why Ouellet is suddenly ahead of Romanov on the depth chart.

It's bizarre. I get that they've played CC and JK and Evans, but all three of those players had trouble getting into the line-up at times whereas guys like Staal, Byron, Perry, and Merrill just seem to have been given near-automatic spots when healthy. The thing I don't get the most is that Romanov was a regular almost the entire season and only missed a couple of games. Yet here we are and he's all but set to miss his 11th straight game in the playoffs. What changed from the regular season to the playoffs that he's suddenly not a playable commodity and that not only Merrill and Kulak but now maybe Ouellet have passed him on the depth chart. Merrill and Ouellet are both really poor-quality NHL defenceman, so it's not like Romanov got passed on the dept chart because we traded for Zach Werenski and John Carlson. He got passed by two AHL-level defencemen, the same way Beaulieu was bumped to make room for Murray and Bouillon (and we all know ho that played out for Beaulieu's development) or the way Mete was bumped for the likes of Alzner and Schlemko (also not fantastic for the organization how that worked out either). We have a pattern of refusing to play young D men and then complaining that they don't have experience and don't develop the way we had hoped.

34 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Arpon Basu reporting that Ducharme has come up with a new answer for Romanov. Now he's saying that Romanov has things to work on and that the team is still working with him and hoping he develops and improves and that they still like him and hope he can be a contributor in the future. He added that the things Romanov needs to work on are between him and Romanov and that they can't be shared with the media or public. So a very vague answer, akin to MB claiming he couldn't divulge the reason he traded for John Scott. More of the "I know and it's a good reason but I can't tell you"... the whole thing is fishy. The tone DD used in his answer suggested the Habs had no real intention of playing Romanov anytime soon unless they were really forced into it. The fact DD answered "it'll be Ouellet or Romanov if Petry can't go tonight" tells me it'll probably be Ouellet and DD just doesn't want to have to answer the questions about why it's not Romanov unless Petry truly can't go and he's forced to show his hand. Merrill is also skating again, so I think DD is hoping if he gets through today that he doesn't ever have to answer the reasoning as to why Ouellet is suddenly ahead of Romanov on the depth chart.

It's bizarre. I get that they've played CC and JK and Evans, but all three of those players had trouble getting into the line-up at times whereas guys like Staal, Byron, Perry, and Merrill just seem to have been given near-automatic spots when healthy. The thing I don't get the most is that Romanov was a regular almost the entire season and only missed a couple of games. Yet here we are and he's all but set to miss his 11th straight game in the playoffs. What changed from the regular season to the playoffs that he's suddenly not a playable commodity and that not only Merrill and Kulak but now maybe Ouellet have passed him on the depth chart. Merrill and Ouellet are both really poor-quality NHL defenceman, so it's not like Romanov got passed on the dept chart because we traded for Zach Werenski and John Carlson. He got passed by two AHL-level defencemen, the same way Beaulieu was bumped to make room for Murray and Bouillon (and we all know ho that played out for Beaulieu's development) or the way Mete was bumped for the likes of Alzner and Schlemko (also not fantastic for the organization how that worked out either). We have a pattern of refusing to play young D men and then complaining that they don't have experience and don't develop the way we had hoped.

More and more teams use staff like Psychologists and mental coaches. Maybe Romanov is making our 'mental coaches' (for lack of a better term) concerned?  I have no idea.   Like you said, an injury really needs to be disclosed so its either "we dont think he's ready" which is laughable when comparing him to Ouellet or Merrill  or  "psychologically he needs to work on something"  Which is hard to comprehend, but the "what he needs to work on are between DD and Romanov and that they can't be shared with the media or public" at least makes some sense in that context. 

Maybe they are Uber-sensitive with Drouin being out too - who knows.  Lots that can be speculated on.  It sucks and Id love to see Romanov in, but without knowing I guess we have to trust the staff (who probably dont deserve our trust after a lot of miscues during this administration).

Ultimately - and Im sure we all feel this way - its all about whats in the best interest of the player's health and the team's performance. 

There has to be something the public doesn't know about, anything else just doesn't make sense. They were really high on the kid and were very vocal about their expectations, which is quite uncommon for this franchise. Now, after 54 regular season games, he seems to be not in the plans at all, which just doesn't add up.

2 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

There has to be something the public doesn't know about, anything else just doesn't make sense. They were really high on the kid and were very vocal about their expectations, which is quite uncommon for this franchise. Now, after 54 regular season games, he seems to be not in the plans at all, which just doesn't add up.

romanov and drouin stories do not add up, romanov was are 2nd best  d men all reg season   imo

unless  a secret side deal has been made to trade them and they are not playing so they do not get hurt before it happens 

i know  -crazy-   but hey nothing else makes sense 

20 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I think people are making more out of this than needs to be made. 

Perhaps - I for one am interested to see how he plays under pressure. Bottom line, he is signed for next year and has 10.2(c) status for another qualifying offer. We did burn a year of his entry deal. His time will inevitably come and my guess he's being asked to sit out so that guys in the last stages of their careers can play for their next year's contracts.  

IMO 

Management ices the team that they feel gives them the best chance to win.  With Romanov being a rookie He just happens to be the odd man out . 

36 minutes ago, claremont said:

Perhaps - I for one am interested to see how he plays under pressure. Bottom line, he is signed for next year and has 10.2(c) status for another qualifying offer. We did burn a year of his entry deal. His time will inevitably come and my guess he's being asked to sit out so that guys in the last stages of their careers can play for their next year's contracts.  

12 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

IMO 

Management ices the team that they feel gives them the best chance to win.  With Romanov being a rookie He just happens to be the odd man out . 

Agree with Regis here - i think the team ices who they think will give them the best chance to win.  We dont all agree with that (ie Merrill) but i dont think there's any other reasoning here.   As for why they think Romanov isnt the guy who gives them that chance, I have no idea. 

43 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Agree with Regis here - i think the team ices who they think will give them the best chance to win.  We dont all agree with that (ie Merrill) but i dont think there's any other reasoning here.   As for why they think Romanov isnt the guy who gives them that chance, I have no idea. 

I also agree and I would add that I don't believe management owes any explanation DURING the playoffs. It's like showing your hand in a poker match. I get that it can be frustrating for the fans but telling us also tells the opponents. This holds true for injuries as well. Vague makes sense.

Perhaps there is something that they are seeing that they don't like. To blab that to the media would do no good. It could only lower his trade value. Obviously that's a big IF that I hope is not true. I'd like to see this young guy succeed as a Hab.

34 minutes ago, MuddyWaterMoose said:

I also agree and I would add that I don't believe management owes any explanation DURING the playoffs. It's like showing your hand in a poker match. I get that it can be frustrating for the fans but telling us also tells the opponents. This holds true for injuries as well. Vague makes sense.

Perhaps there is something that they are seeing that they don't like. To blab that to the media would do no good. It could only lower his trade value. Obviously that's a big IF that I hope is not true. I'd like to see this young guy succeed as a Hab.

But also potentially lowering his trade value if you bench him for 10 straight playoff games, say there's a mystery reason you can't tell anyone, and play him behind the likes of Merrill and Ouellet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 6:01 PM, jennifer_rocket said:

If Ouellet draws in... I will be floored. But then again, I was pretty surprised to see Merrill in the series as well.

Well Merrill is better than most here think. And yes quite capable on the penalty kill. And you obviously did not watch AHLTV hockey this year. Oullet was tge best defenceman on the team and better than he was during his NHL year. Just reality. I was surprised they went after Merril and Gustafson because he was looking so damn good. And I was not a big Oullet supporter to be clear. But give credit where it’s do. He is actually a true NHL player on half the teams in the league. I’m not sure how many realize how good the core 10 d-men are collectively on the Habs. It’s the true reason for the current play of the team. The coaches have divided ice time and usage masterfully. 

that said, I’m shocked to see Gustafson playing in this series. It’s the first huge error by the coaching staff. There’s no way his addition is helpful. He’s here to help the power play. That’s it. And the game plan should understand that Vegas is so well coached and disciplined that they simply won’t commit penalties often and when they do the refs in the league look the other way, giving them the benefit of the doubt. Gustafson should not be playing. Merril and Kulak should be a solid third pair in this series. Simple. 

On 6/7/2021 at 9:25 PM, BigTed3 said:

Wrong. 

merrill and kulak do the little things much better snd more consistently. As does Oullet. Oullet was superior in the AHL this year. All of these guys play systemic hockey and are trust to be reliable in all the little things. Angles. How they pin players to force the next play direction, etc. Lotsa stuff. Rom is good. He’s exhuberant. Him watching. Film study. Practice. Is what he needs. He should not have been too 6 this year. He got by on natural take t and growth projections by the team. His progress was not enough. I remember discussing with many that he would not make the team. Maybe as a 7th D. He made it. I was wrong. But now he is being told and taught and shown how much tge little things matter and build to team hockey and players knowing where the play will be cut off and forced. He played well enough last game. He did his job. Growth. But the off-season will be huge for him. Or he will be on the outside looking in. Cuz there’s some Dmen in the AHL that play a more reliable team game right now - not just Oullet. 

On 6/7/2021 at 9:25 PM, BigTed3 said:

Wrong my friend,

merrill and kulak do the little things a bit better and more importantly, consistently. As does Oullet. Oullet was superior in the AHL this year. Fantastic actually. All of these guys play systemic hockey and are trusted to be reliable in all the little things. Like Angles. How they pin players to force the direction of the next play (hugely important of course) etc. Lotsa stuff. Rom is good. He’s exhuberant. But him watching games, doing Film study and more Practice, Is exactly what he needs. He should not have been top 6 this year. But He got by on natural talent and growth projections by the team. Plus lower level snd regular season coasting type hockey.

Simply put, His progress was not enough during the regular season. Despite fans here calling fir him to be a top pair or top four. Lol. Lol. Lol. I remember discussing with many that he would not make the team. Maybe as a 7th D. He made it. I was wrong. But really, it was about building an asset. But now he is being told and taught and shown how much the little things matter and build to team hockey and players knowing where the play will be cut off and forced. He played well enough last game. He did his job. Growth. But the off-season will be huge for him. Or he will be on the outside looking in. Cuz there’s some Dmen in the AHL that play a more reliable team game right now - not just Oullet. 

main point - folks need to quit pining for Romonav in the playoffs. He can in a jam. As he did. But. Meh… things are as they should be. 

9 hours ago, dreegking said:

Wrong my friend,

merrill and kulak do the little things a bit better and more importantly, consistently. As does Oullet. Oullet was superior in the AHL this year. Fantastic actually. All of these guys play systemic hockey and are trusted to be reliable in all the little things. Like Angles. How they pin players to force the direction of the next play (hugely important of course) etc. Lotsa stuff. Rom is good. He’s exhuberant. But him watching games, doing Film study and more Practice, Is exactly what he needs. He should not have been top 6 this year. But He got by on natural talent and growth projections by the team. Plus lower level snd regular season coasting type hockey.

Simply put, His progress was not enough during the regular season. Despite fans here calling fir him to be a top pair or top four. Lol. Lol. Lol. I remember discussing with many that he would not make the team. Maybe as a 7th D. He made it. I was wrong. But really, it was about building an asset. But now he is being told and taught and shown how much the little things matter and build to team hockey and players knowing where the play will be cut off and forced. He played well enough last game. He did his job. Growth. But the off-season will be huge for him. Or he will be on the outside looking in. Cuz there’s some Dmen in the AHL that play a more reliable team game right now - not just Oullet. 

main point - folks need to quit pining for Romonav in the playoffs. He can in a jam. As he did. But. Meh… things are as they should be. 

I'm not quite sure about Merrill doing all the little things right.  I've seen him cough up the puck and be not so great at times getting it out of our end.  I havnt seen him do anything romanov can't or doesn't but on the flip side romanov can do 2 things way better than merrill, skate and hit.  And those are 2 things I think we need more of on our team, especially in the playoffs and even more so against Vegas.  The only thing merrill does consistently is play a bit below average.

11 hours ago, dreegking said:

Wrong. 

merrill and kulak do the little things much better snd more consistently. As does Oullet. Oullet was superior in the AHL this year. All of these guys play systemic hockey and are trust to be reliable in all the little things. Angles. How they pin players to force the next play direction, etc. Lotsa stuff. Rom is good. He’s exhuberant. Him watching. Film study. Practice. Is what he needs. He should not have been too 6 this year. He got by on natural take t and growth projections by the team. His progress was not enough. I remember discussing with many that he would not make the team. Maybe as a 7th D. He made it. I was wrong. But now he is being told and taught and shown how much tge little things matter and build to team hockey and players knowing where the play will be cut off and forced. He played well enough last game. He did his job. Growth. But the off-season will be huge for him. Or he will be on the outside looking in. Cuz there’s some Dmen in the AHL that play a more reliable team game right now - not just Oullet. 

Not sure what Merril you're watching but it's not the one playing for the Habs.   Kulak vs Romanov sure.     Merrill however shouldn't even be in the NHL.   Romanov already plays better than everyone in the AHL, including Ouellette

• H_T_L locked this topic