Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
campabee82

24 Team Playoff Format

24 Team Playoff Format   20 members have voted

1. 1. If the NHL adopts this format are you for or against it?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

59 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts feelings and odds of the 24 Team Playoff Format?

My thoughts are it would be awsome to watch the Habs in a playoff battle and a great opportunity for some of the young guys to get some playoff experience even if it is just 1 round, at the same time it really hurts us draft wise unless we get put out in 3 straight. Hence I voted undecided.

9 hours ago, campabee82 said:

What are your thoughts feelings and odds of the 24 Team Playoff Format?

Undecided myself... but I would surely watch it if it happens.

Though I love our Habs and the game of hockey, I'm not in need of a fix this year. There are more important things that need fixing IMHO.

We're not going to compete for the Cup in a 24-team format or a 16-team format so I'd rather just end the season for Montreal and have management focus on the off-season.

I’m all for it. Worst case scenario; is getting lesser draft picks, maybe we win a bit giving us a worse 1st round pick etc and maybe chicago does too so the 2nd we have becomes a later 2nd. But even all the draft implications haven’t been mentioned so it’s all speculation anyway. Last week Bettman and Daly were talking about the old draft system anyway so we’d probably have no shot at Lafreniere.

Best case we win a cup but more realistically we end up somewhere in between, which as someone else mentioned, we can finally give our boys some playoff experience. Even though it’s a much less of a normal atmosphere without fans the boys will still be playing elimination games and against some of the best in the world with Crosby and company. 

Hockey will always trump no hockey 

I agree Hockey always trumps no hockey. I also think anytime we have a shot at the cup it's great. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Also our odds of the first overall pick is extremely low and a high draft choice still doesn't guarantee anything. For those who don't want to be in the mix or no more hockey for this season. Are you going to watch if we are winning or just going to garden and golf?

1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree Hockey always trumps no hockey. I also think anytime we have a shot at the cup it's great. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Also our odds of the first overall pick is extremely low and a high draft choice still doesn't guarantee anything. For those who don't want to be in the mix or no more hockey for this season. Are you going to watch if we are winning or just going to garden and golf?

Golf and golf some more! 

8 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Golf and golf some more! 

Golf is for old men. :frech1:

The only positive is that younger players like Domi , Suzuki , Mete , Evans , KK, Poehling etc get a taste of play-off hockey ….then again the crowds won't be there ….if we do happen to get a round or two in our chances in the draft get exponentially worse ...unless you win the Stanley Cup ….it's a long shot at best I'm afraid ….there is one other point to make however ...if Montreal were to survive a couple of rounds that would be impressive and a Free Agent might think about coming .

Well it sounds like this thing is going to pass the vote. They needed 18 of 31 teams to agree to it and it sounds like they got that, even if it wasn't unanimous. So that means the NHL is going to move forward with the idea of the 24-team playoffs. It also means the lottery will likely limit how much you can move up so that you can't be a playoff team and win the first overall pick. I think this is bad news for the Habs, because they're going to lose out on the draft lottery without having much chance of winning a Cup (and yes, their odds of winning are low because if there are 24 teams in and we're the 24-seed, our odds are going to be lower than 1 in 24).

So it sounds like as the 12th team in in the East, we would draw the 5 seed (Pittsburgh). Pittsburgh has claimed they voted in favor of the proposal but reluctantly so and preferred a 16-team playoff because they're not happy about facing Carey Price in a best-of-5 series that he could steal. So play-in best of 5 series would be

5 Pit vs. 12 Mtl

6 Car vs. 11 Fla

7 Tor vs  10 NYR

8 Clb vs 9 NYI

... at least according to current NHL official standings. However, if they change things up and go by point percentage won, some of those teams could move around a bit. Meanwhile, Bos, Tampa, Was, and Phi would play some kind of a round robin to determine the top 4 seeding. It means that our path to a Cup would likely be Pit in a best of 5, followed by the top seed among the 4 highest seeds in a best of 7, and then 3 more series of best of 7... like I said, not high odds. You could potentially have to go through all of Pit, TB, Bos, and Was all on the road.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

It means that our path to a Cup would likely be Pit in a best of 5, followed by the top seed among the 4 highest seeds in a best of 7, and then 3 more series of best of 7... like I said, not high odds. You could potentially have to go through all of Pit, TB, Bos, and Was all on the road.

Just wanted to highlight this, IF we some how manage to play our way in by beating Pittsburgh, we would then play the 4th seed not the top seed so as it stands now we would get Philadelphia as per the proposal but that part of the proposal has not been approved yet. If it does get approved the winner of Toronto-Columbus would get the top seed (Probably Boston) which would just be hilarious to watch the Laffs fans cry about having to face the Booins again for the third year in a row.

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Well it sounds like this thing is going to pass the vote. They needed 18 of 31 teams to agree to it and it sounds like they got that, even if it wasn't unanimous. So that means the NHL is going to move forward with the idea of the 24-team playoffs. It also means the lottery will likely limit how much you can move up so that you can't be a playoff team and win the first overall pick. I think this is bad news for the Habs, because they're going to lose out on the draft lottery without having much chance of winning a Cup (and yes, their odds of winning are low because if there are 24 teams in and we're the 24-seed, our odds are going to be lower than 1 in 24).

So it sounds like as the 12th team in in the East, we would draw the 5 seed (Pittsburgh). Pittsburgh has claimed they voted in favor of the proposal but reluctantly so and preferred a 16-team playoff because they're not happy about facing Carey Price in a best-of-5 series that he could steal. So play-in best of 5 series would be

5 Pit vs. 12 Mtl

6 Car vs. 11 Fla

7 Tor vs  10 NYR

8 Clb vs 9 NYI

... at least according to current NHL official standings. However, if they change things up and go by point percentage won, some of those teams could move around a bit. Meanwhile, Bos, Tampa, Was, and Phi would play some kind of a round robin to determine the top 4 seeding. It means that our path to a Cup would likely be Pit in a best of 5, followed by the top seed among the 4 highest seeds in a best of 7, and then 3 more series of best of 7... like I said, not high odds. You could potentially have to go through all of Pit, TB, Bos, and Was all on the road.

Vote was 29-2 which is was waaaay higher than I thought it would be! Wonder who the 2 were probably Toronto cause if they win their series (which is highly likely) they most likely get the Booins again LMAO.

Really didn't think the NHLPA would vote in favor of this. I was wrong. :ph34r:

Hey! We could beat the Penguins in round one!

I hope to see some hockey at this time, too. In my posts, I felt that there was no way this would happen, even though I did post stories that hinted that hockey could restart.

Only TB and Carolina voted against it. So I think teams just want to get back to playing no matter whether they like the format or not...

Posted (edited)

47 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Only TB and Carolina voted against it. So I think teams just want to get back to playing no matter whether they like the format or not...

I think the format was as fair as it could be. They needed to include all teams that had a realistic shot but could not have uneven numbers. If you look at the standings 23 teams had a realistic shot at the playoffs with only  Montreal was a long shot.  Everyone else was within 6 points of a playoff spot with 10-12 games to go

Edited by campabee82

7 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I think the format was as fair as it could be. They needed to include all teams that had a realistic shot but could not have uneven numbers. If you look at the standings 23 teams had a realistic shot at the playoffs with only  Montreal was a long shot.  Everyone else was within 6 points of a playoff spot with 10-12 games to go

Yes and no. On the one hand, they're being inclusive like you said. On the other, teams like Arizona and Chicago were points out with the team they were chasing holding a game in hand. I don't think either team had a realistic shot at the Cup, and it's not like anyone is gaining/losing gate revenue by being included or excluded from a neutral site playoff. Personally, I don't love the idea of including so many teams. I understand maybe including a touch more than 16 so that you satisfy both those who would be ahead based on point percentage vs. actual accumulated points in the standings, but if you would have stopped at 20 teams, that likely would have been enough. At a certain point, if you're not good enough to be in the playoffs, you're not good enough and I don't think teams can be crying about losing out when they're the 21st or 23rd best teams in a 31-team league.

To some degree, the playoffs may be a crapshoot of who avoids having players get sick or go on quarantine and with less of a home ice advantage, it doesn't give much reward to the teams that have played well thus far. I'd have preferred to see them not make a squad like Pittsburgh have to go through a play-in. From our end, we're clearly not one of the best 16 teams in the league, and it's a bit of a sham to just throw us into the playoffs. I think we're being done a disservice by giving the organization some false sense of success and by taking away our shot at a top 3 draft pick. Getting into a play-in series might actually end up setting us back a few years insofar as draft position goes and insofar as the team evaluating itself as being more accomplished than it actually is. Does Bergevin end up keeping his job a year or two extra now because "we made the playoffs"?

8 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I actually agree with this also. Even if Montreal or any other team was a long shot there was still a chance. As long as a team wasn't mathematically out  you have to include them somehow. I mean they could of still played the season out and had this go longer and start next season late. It would be easy to have no pre-season games for next year and no all star break only the Christmas break. Once the actual play offs do start there have been several 8th seed teams LA , St. Louis ect. that have won the Cup once the playoffs start. Look at last season alone. Tampa out in 4 and St. Louis winning it all. All the Hockey fans and experts didn't expect that to happen. Hockey is a sport that season success doesn't always mean great success in the playoffs. Also the draft everyone was thinking we have a shot at #1 or at least top 3. We could also go backwards to, The lottery works both directions. We also have had two top 3 picks in resents years and it hasn't put us over the top yet. A top 3 player has great appeal but is no guarantee of future success either...……………………...So I'm ready #25 ! Bring home the Cup!!!         GO HABS GO!!!

On 5/22/2020 at 6:23 PM, BigTed3 said:

You could potentially have to go through all of Pit, TB, Bos, and Was all on the road.

Piece of cake. :4224:

Anybody remember that photo of George Bush with the "Mission Accomplished" banner ... all the 24 team playoff format does is allow MB to go borrow that

Should be 16 teams as usual. 24 teams just prolongs the season. 

im for it NOW because I just heard the draft lottery is going to happen June 26, and the "play-in" teams (including Montreal) are still part of the lottery. 

Now i can daydream about winning the lottery AND the stanley cup!

4 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Should be 16 teams as usual. 24 teams just prolongs the season. 

Either way they have to have warmup games.  So either you have a pre-season, or a handful more 'regualr season" games or whatever - or you do i this way.

The plan is that the top 8 ranked teams will just play (essentially) exhibition games. Maybe they count towards ranking but all 8 are safe.  The bottom 16 play actual games - series - probably best of 3 - to cut that number down to 8.  So that once that first set of series is done, you're back to 16 and they have warmed up.

The top 8 teams do have a big advantage though - most will probably ease into the games, if you lose no big deal, whereas the bottom 16 will be fighting for their lives. I could see a lot of groin pulls and such in those series. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Either way they have to have warmup games.  So either you have a pre-season, or a handful more 'regualr season" games or whatever - or you do i this way.

The plan is that the top 8 ranked teams will just play (essentially) exhibition games. Maybe they count towards ranking but all 8 are safe.  The bottom 16 play actual games - series - probably best of 3 - to cut that number down to 8.  So that once that first set of series is done, you're back to 16 and they have warmed up.

The top 8 teams do have a big advantage though - most will probably ease into the games, if you lose no big deal, whereas the bottom 16 will be fighting for their lives. I could see a lot of groin pulls and such in those series. 

As long as it's Crosby, Malkin and Letang getting all the groin pulls and not Price I am good with that lol

3 hours ago, habsisme said:

im for it NOW because I just heard the draft lottery is going to happen June 26, and the "play-in" teams (including Montreal) are still part of the lottery. 

Now i can daydream about winning the lottery AND the stanley cup!

:freu1: