Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
campabee82

24 Team Playoff Format

24 Team Playoff Format   20 members have voted

  1. 1. If the NHL adopts this format are you for or against it?


Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

59 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I won't shed one tear if they don't get to see their family for maybe a couple months. There are a lot of jobs that people are gone for extended periods of time and the workers aren't spoiled in top notch hotels and making millions. So yes it may be unfortunate if it does happen but it's not the end of the world.

There's a pretty major difference here though. 

People who work jobs who are gone from seeing their families for extended periods of time know that going in.  NHL players have never been told this is a prerequisite for playing the game.  Sure, they may go on long road trips for a couple of weeks but months? That's fairly "extreme" by the established standard of the NHL schedule.

At the end of the day they are, as you said, ridiculously well-compensated compared to 99.9% of the work force so I am sure that they will buckle down and do it, but I will feel bad for some of them, especially those with young children.

What if your wife was 7 months pregnant in July? Then you would potentially miss the birth of your child? or if your parent or someone close was ill? you wouldn't be there to be with them?  I'm sure that players will be allowed to leave at any time if there are family emergencies but then, I would assume, they would be not be allowed to return to play unless they isolated for 2 weeks?   

Its going to be a bit of a logistical nightmare imho. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, maas_art said:

There's a pretty major difference here though. 

People who work jobs who are gone from seeing their families for extended periods of time know that going in.  NHL players have never been told this is a prerequisite for playing the game.  Sure, they may go on long road trips for a couple of weeks but months? That's fairly "extreme" by the established standard of the NHL schedule.

At the end of the day they are, as you said, ridiculously well-compensated compared to 99.9% of the work force so I am sure that they will buckle down and do it, but I will feel bad for some of them, especially those with young children.

What if your wife was 7 months pregnant in July? Then you would potentially miss the birth of your child? or if your parent or someone close was ill? you wouldn't be there to be with them?  I'm sure that players will be allowed to leave at any time if there are family emergencies but then, I would assume, they would be not be allowed to return to play unless they isolated for 2 weeks?   

Its going to be a bit of a logistical nightmare imho. 

There are a lot of jobs where missing the birth of a child happens all the time. A lot of NHL players leave home in their teens to play in a higher league in hope of being someday in the NHL and are separated from their families for long periods of time, without being paid big money. Even those that go to college sometimes go a semester or longer before going home. My father was gone for 3 of the 4 children births. There used to be a time the man waited in the lounge or whatever wasn't in with the mother during child birth. Guess what everything still worked out fine. The alternative if it's such a hardship , they can quit and get a regular job!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not understand all the resentment for NHL players wanting to be safe and with fàmily. If they didn't care about their families and just said all we want to do is play hockey then people would be all over them for being parachute dad's. You can't have it both ways! U actually respect the fact that even in this time of crisis they are wanting their families near them and to be as safe as they are. Which IF they are quarantined for 2 months they would be safer than the general public

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, habs1952 said:

LOL......training camp won't begin until July 10th at the earliest. :4224:

Oh man. Just cancel the season already. At this rate the 2019-2020 playoffs won't begin until September/October 2020.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

I do not understand all the resentment for NHL players wanting to be safe and with fàmily. If they didn't care about their families and just said all we want to do is play hockey then people would be all over them for being parachute dad's. You can't have it both ways! U actually respect the fact that even in this time of crisis they are wanting their families near them and to be as safe as they are. Which IF they are quarantined for 2 months they would be safer than the general public

I don't think it's a resentment by any means it's a just being a realist. This is not normal circumstances. They aren't being asked to go to a war zone or even deep sea. They will be somewhere that they will have access to good cell service , high speed internet zoom facetime ect . ect. Also the time frame is a minimal inconvenience. Players come from all over there are several that are from over seas and don't have their families with them. All I'm pointing out it isn't a giant hardship that some are making it out to be.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Oh man. Just cancel the season already. At this rate the 2019-2020 playoffs won't begin until September/October 2020.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a shortened season next year. Should be no pre season or all star break or additional breaks other than maybe Christmas.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 9:53 PM, kinot-2 said:

I don't get it. He was signed to an ELC, what, 2 weeks ago? 

Player has to be signed to an ELC by December of that season to qualify for Post-season roster is what I understood

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 8:53 PM, kinot-2 said:

I don't get it. He was signed to an ELC, what, 2 weeks ago? 

He did. But with no start date. See below.
 

46 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Player has to be signed to an ELC by December of that season to qualify for Post-season roster is what I understood

Actually it doesnt have to be by then at all.  Vladislav Gavrikov signed his ECL in mid April last year & played with the bluejackets during the playoffs.  There have been others - Gusev in LV as well. 

The problem is that on March 12 when the NHL suspended its season they told teams: you can sign players, but only for next year. No new contracts for this year.  To get around that teams - like Montreal with Romanov - signed players but without a start date to the contract.

 

So until the NHL, NHLPA etc determine whether teams are indeed allowed to sign players for the 2019-20 season, Romanov wont be allowed to play.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

He did. But with no start date. See below.
 

Actually it doesnt have to be by then at all.  Vladislav Gavrikov signed his ECL in mid April last year & played with the bluejackets during the playoffs.  There have been others - Gusev in LV as well. 

The problem is that on March 12 when the NHL suspended its season they told teams: you can sign players, but only for next year. No new contracts for this year.  To get around that teams - like Montreal with Romanov - signed players but without a start date to the contract.

 

So until the NHL, NHLPA etc determine whether teams are indeed allowed to sign players for the 2019-20 season, Romanov wont be allowed to play.  

Thanks, Jed. 

 

Edited by kinot-2
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.