Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kinot-2

The Protests Around The World

45 posts in this topic

Ya know, I'm all for people that want to peacefull  protest, but, I'm not in favour of rioting. MLK must be rolling in his grave. I would always advise my children/grandchild to never go to a protest. IMO, it might not turn out well. 

8 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya know, I'm all for people that want to peacefull  protest, but, I'm not in favour of rioting. MLK must be rolling in his grave. I would always advise my children/grandchild to never go to a protest. IMO, it might not turn out well. 

For what it's worth, his children (who obviously knew him) don't seem to think so:

Untitled.png.f0003739701f00eaa29eb52bf4eef149.png

I mean, I don't think there are too many people in the world who would answer "yes" to the question "am I in favour of rioting".  At the same time, it's a bit more complicated than that.  Peaceful protests about this have been going on forever and nobody has listened or made any changes.  In fact, most of the time people complained about those protests, too.  I mean to look at one tiny example, all Kaepernick did was kneel during the anthem a few times (which is about as non-violent and unobtrusive to peoples' lives as you can possibly get) and everyone was up in arms about that as being "disrespectful".  At some point, when it's their literal life on the line, I can see how this could make a person say "to Hell with it, I'm just going to break stuff until someone finally listens to me".  And hey, people are talking about the cause and, for the first time, there's maybe at least a small hope that some changes might be made in the future.

So I guess I'm not saying that I think rioting is a good thing, because I don't think that it is.  But I also can't honestly say that it's not necessary (or at least understandable).  I think my feelings on it are best summed up by this thing that I saw someone post on my Facebook feed.  Rioting is definitely a bad thing, racism is definitely a bad thing, but right now the priority we give to just how bad each of those things is is just a little bit backwards.

91916640_964908243968430_6433931829123743744_o.thumb.jpg.29a80ba9f77d9f7ec14652fc211e1116.jpg

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

For what it's worth, his children (who obviously knew him) don't seem to think so:

Untitled.png.f0003739701f00eaa29eb52bf4eef149.png

I mean, I don't think there are too many people in the world who would answer "yes" to the question "am I in favour of rioting".  At the same time, it's a bit more complicated than that.  Peaceful protests about this have been going on forever and nobody has listened or made any changes.  In fact, most of the time people complained about those protests, too.  I mean to look at one tiny example, all Kaepernick did was kneel during the anthem a few times (which is about as non-violent and unobtrusive to peoples' lives as you can possibly get) and everyone was up in arms about that as being "disrespectful".  At some point, when it's their literal life on the line, I can see how this could make a person say "to Hell with it, I'm just going to break stuff until someone finally listens to me".  And hey, people are talking about the cause and, for the first time, there's maybe at least a small hope that some changes might be made in the future.

So I guess I'm not saying that I think rioting is a good thing, because I don't think that it is.  But I also can't honestly say that it's not necessary (or at least understandable).  I think my feelings on it are best summed up by this thing that I saw someone post on my Facebook feed.  Rioting is definitely a bad thing, racism is definitely a bad thing, but right now the priority we give to just how bad each of those things is is just a little bit backwards.

91916640_964908243968430_6433931829123743744_o.thumb.jpg.29a80ba9f77d9f7ec14652fc211e1116.jpg

Fair enough, but it still doesn't excuse the woman who allegedly drove into a group of police, or the cop who was shot in his head. Those 2 instances certainly got my attention. 

Edited by kinot-2

For how long do you put up with being bullied before you stand up and fight back?

Posted (edited)

Ya know, when I interact with people, they have just one chance to impress me as a good person (as I do with them). When I used (prior to lock-down), to go into a convenience store to buy lottery tickets, I would always say, " Hi, how ya doin.". I expect them to be somewhat cheerfull in their reply. Here's an example. I live within walking distance of a convenience store, and I walked in there to buy tickets, and said "Hi, how ya doin". I got no reply. I haven't been in there since. I do, however, drive a mile away to buy them soley because the clerks are cheerfull, friendly, and interact with me. 

The 1st store is run buy (what I think) is either a Indian or Pakistani person. The 2nd store is run by Asians, and I will continue to patronize that store. My hairdresser is either Korean, Chinese, Japanese, or other, but I don't care because she is good at what she does and is friendly. 

I don't patronize the 1st store because of their race, but, because of their attitude. 

True story. When My 2nd eldest daughter was about to remarry for the 2nd time, she brought her prospective husband over for the 1st time. I didn't like him from the get-go as he was and still is a bum. I didn't go to the wedding. They have since separated. He had his one chance and blew it. 

In short, we're all friends here, but I don't think I'd want to meet any of you  :frech1:. I did meet a member once, never met him again. 

Edited by kinot-2

Tonite on the news, they showed a peacfull protest. There was one sign that said "ABOLISH THE POLICE". Oh, ya, that'll work. :rolleyes:

Even All Sharpton pick up on Trudeau's "pregnant pause", saying "The time has made the moment of change in America. And I'm going to express that in my eulogy. And since you're from Canada, I won't have a 21-second gap before I say what I have to say."

:4224:

Posted (edited)

So. Mr. Blackface takes a knee (insert photo-op) in support of the protests. 

Ya, know, I watch a LOT of news, and when reporters talk to a protester and they yell into the microphone, I mute the tv. When the reporters talk to a calm protester, I listen. 

Edited by kinot-2

12 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

So. Mr. Blackface takes a knee (insert photo-op) in support of the protests. 

Ya, know, I watch a LOT of news, and when reporters talk to a protester and they yell into the microphone, I mute the tv. When the reporters talk to a calm protester, I listen. 

I could be wrong but I think they yell because they assume at your age you may be hard of hearing. :4322:

On 6/3/2020 at 1:21 PM, habs1952 said:

For how long do you put up with being bullied before you stand up and fight back?

Where was all this when Columbine happened?  These same groups protesting George Floyd's death are the one who called Columbine stupid.  

Protests in the U.S. have entered the 12th day and what is Trump doing about this?  

Good to see all the social distancing in the protests. (sarcasm). 

BTW, too bad the protests in Canada couldn't be delayed for one day to honour the 359 Canadians killed on D-Day on Juno beach. Also 22 members of the Royal Canadian Air Force died that day. 

12 hours ago, habs1952 said:

I could be wrong but I think they yell because they assume at your age you may be hard of hearing. :4322:

What's that you say, sonny? 

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Didn't you parents tell you to respect your elders? For shame. :wut2:

Edited by kinot-2

Two Buffalo police officers are now charged with shoving a 75 year old man to the ground.  57 officers resigned in support of the two officers in this case.  

9 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

What's that you say, sonny? 

9 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Didn't you parents tell you to respect your elders? For shame. :wut2:

lol

State troopers have admitted to deflating tires during the protests.  Something that should have been expected.  

Ya know, now matter how much politicians of all stripes, try  to eradicate racism, they will never, ever do it. 

Also, there's talk of body cams. Body cams are in a lot of states in the U.S. They've had them for years. Why does it take Canada, this many years to even talk about having body cams on cops? :rolleyes:

Chicago police caught lounging while looting goes on.  Trump must be applauding them.  

Posted (edited)

Here's an idea. Fire all white police officers, and only hire black or indigenous officers, and in theory, there will be no more blacks or indigenous people will be shot. 

BTW, with all these peacefull protests and riots, if they (in my fathers words) "don't give a tinkers damn" about the virus, then they should take those I CAN'T BREATHE signs to the hospital, and hang them over their ventilators if they test positive.. 

If that sounds heartless, then so be it. 

Edited by kinot-2

Hire 

Here's an idea. Fire all white police officers, and only hire black or indigenous officers, and in theory, there will be no more blacks or indigenous people will be shot. 

BTW, with all these peacefull protests and riots, if they (in my fathers words) "don't give a tinkers damn" about the virus, then they should take those I CAN'T BREATHE signs to the hospital, and hang them over their ventilators if they test positive.. 

If that sounds heartless, then so be it. 

White officers have been attacking blacks in part because they're finding out they're in the same boat as the Klebolds and Harrisses they tried to sell out.  But if you get rid of white officers and hire only minorities, whites will end up getting shot.  

Another shooting in Atlanta and rioting breaks out.  

Ya know, if I was a white cop anywhere in the world, I would resign. 

Ya know, if I was a white cop anywhere in the world, I would resign. 

Trump has now said Brooks should not have resisted.  Look at how it turned out.  

The height of absurdity.

Australian broadcaster plans debate on whether chess is racist for letting white play first.