Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal vs Philadelphia Series Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, HabsRuleForever said:

:4224:

The funny thing is that I REALLY liked Recchi when he was here.  I know we goofed on giving up LeClair (although I dont think he would have ever blossomed the same way without playing next to Lindros) but Mark had 5 seasons at close to a PPG with us, during some dark times.  I was sad to see him go (and the trade back to philly was even worse) and followed him throughout his career.

Then he makes one stupid, callous remark & totally changed the way I will forever think of him.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

The funny thing is that I REALLY liked Recchi when he was here.  I know we goofed on giving up LeClair (although I dont think he would have ever blossomed the same way without playing next to Lindros) but Mark had 5 seasons at close to a PPG with us, during some dark times.  I was sad to see him go (and the trade back to philly was even worse) and followed him throughout his career.

Then he makes one stupid, callous remark & totally changed the way I will forever think of him.   

He was a good player and worked hard but I was never a big fan of his overall. Couldn't stand the way he would go down easy and log roll on the ice frequently (and he did this with us too, not just the Bruins). And he would whine to the refs constantly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2020 at 1:40 PM, H_T_L said:

Awwww,,, you guys have no balls. Habs in 4 :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::frech1:

Well that's out the window. But, seriously, despite the 1st period and the outcome, I think there's some to be positive and hopeful about. I think there's no reason at all to feel we don't belong in this series. We have to stay disciplined, and have to build off that pp goal to get our pp going. Price is looking really sharp. We have to find a way to get some of our forwards going. It's def a positive to see the danault-lehk-byron line playing so well. Lehkonen has def been our spark plug so far in the playoffs. Belzile is playing fine, but I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen Poehling get a shot. For me, I'd like to see that happen. I think he adds tenacity and has a higher offensive upside. Hopefully we find a way to get armia involved, and I'd like to see Domi get an expanded role from the center position. Of course that means someone else's role will get diminished, and it's hard to say who that would be. For me, Danault had his best game yet last night, and of course his contributions in the f/off circle and d zone are very valuable... idk. we'll see what happens, but Philly doesn't scare me. Just gotta get these guys rolling outside of whatever line Lehkonen seems to be on. Go Habs Go. Hope to have a W in the column on Friday!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, jfcambell11 said:

Well that's out the window. But, seriously, despite the 1st period and the outcome, I think there's some to be positive and hopeful about. I think there's no reason at all to feel we don't belong in this series. We have to stay disciplined, and have to build off that pp goal to get our pp going. Price is looking really sharp. We have to find a way to get some of our forwards going. It's def a positive to see the danault-lehk-byron line playing so well. Lehkonen has def been our spark plug so far in the playoffs. Belzile is playing fine, but I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen Poehling get a shot. For me, I'd like to see that happen. I think he adds tenacity and has a higher offensive upside. Hopefully we find a way to get armia involved, and I'd like to see Domi get an expanded role from the center position. Of course that means someone else's role will get diminished, and it's hard to say who that would be. For me, Danault had his best game yet last night, and of course his contributions in the f/off circle and d zone are very valuable... idk. we'll see what happens, but Philly doesn't scare me. Just gotta get these guys rolling outside of whatever line Lehkonen seems to be on. Go Habs Go. Hope to have a W in the column on Friday!

I expected to have a tougher time against these guys. We played them pretty evenly if not a little bit better. We need to get a break with the reffing. They seem hell bent on making sure we don't go any further and make Bettman look more the fool then he is. You can usually count on refs keeping the calls even in the playoffs but that hasn't happened with us vs the Pens and so far with these guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I expected to have a tougher time against these guys. We played them pretty evenly if not a little bit better. We need to get a break with the reffing. They seem hell bent on making sure we don't go any further and make Bettman look more the fool then he is. You can usually count on refs keeping the calls even in the playoffs but that hasn't happened with us vs the Pens and so far with these guys.

I wanted to say the same thing but didn't want to sound like sour grapes ....there was a blatant trip along the benches with about 1 minute or so left that would have given Montreal a 6 on 4 ...a couple of others during the game as well ....oh well what can you do 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

Price played well but so did Hart ...Montreal showed they can keep up with Philly ...we were a Suzuki crossbar away from overtime 

 

yup. still think this series could go either way.

mistakes will be costly most likely. lets hope we make fewer of them than them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

Here's our Achilles Heel   : faceoffs  - Montreal : Danault 56.7% , Suzuki 44.3 % , Domi 42.4% KK 42.2%

                                                           Philly :Thompson 70.6% Grant 57.9% Hayes 57.9%  Couturier 51.0 % 

A couple of things:  

1) Your numbers are a little off (and missing Giroux) 

Danault 57% (16w/12l)  Domi 16% (1/5)  JK 38% (5/8)   Suzuki 41% (5/7)        

Couturier 64% (9/5)  Giroux 44% (8/10)  Grant 62.5% (5/3)  Hayes 50% (5/5)  Thompson 71% (5/2)

 

2. You have to put those faceoff percentages in context.   Danault took 28 faceoffs (16w 12L) and Thompson took 7  (5/2)  so while uncle nate had a terrific FO percentage, it was a very small amount compared to Danault

 

Overall, we won 27 and lost 32 so not nearly as bad as the percentages make it seem. 

 

3) And finally, face off importance is largely exaggerated.   Except for the first few seconds after a win, the difference between winning and losing one is pretty minimal.

shot_rates_post_faceoff_medium.png

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

       My take on the game is that the Flyers just sat back after the first period and tried to protect their one goal lead. They seemed to be content to play defence in their own zone and wait for the Habs to make mistakes which the Flyers could exploit for more goals.They finally have a good goaltender in Hart and he appears to be every bit as good as he's been said to be. In fact he looked eerily like Carey Price, except tor the Flyers orange jersey. As soon as the Habs got a goal, back came the Flyers to take the lead again, this time for good.

       Our defence are playing really well and doing the bulk of our scoring, but we need a lot more offence from our forward group and so far they have not done that. Maybe the defensive message has trumped the fact that you need goals to win a game. Sorry but no one wins a game with a 0 on the score-sheet. 

     

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, IceHemi said:

       My take on the game is that the Flyers just sat back after the first period and tried to protect their one goal lead. They seemed to be content to play defence in their own zone and wait for the Habs to make mistakes which the Flyers could exploit for more goals.They finally have a good goaltender in Hart and he appears to be every bit as good as he's been said to be. In fact he looked eerily like Carey Price, except tor the Flyers orange jersey. As soon as the Habs got a goal, back came the Flyers to take the lead again, this time for good.

       Our defence are playing really well and doing the bulk of our scoring, but we need a lot more offence from our forward group and so far they have not done that. Maybe the defensive message has trumped the fact that you need goals to win a game. Sorry but no one wins a game with a 0 on the score-sheet. 

     

Will be interesting to see if Muller changes anything with the forward group now that he has the reigns. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

Here's our Achilles Heel   : faceoffs  - Montreal : Danault 56.7% , Suzuki 44.3 % , Domi 42.4% KK 42.2%

                                                           Philly :Thompson 70.6% Grant 57.9% Hayes 57.9%  Couturier 51.0 % 

Good God, that's a lot of lost face-offs. Ugly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

TSN 690 says that Evans is a GTD for tomorrow.

I hope he’s not in - imo he needs more seasoning and has had a penchant for getting cranked. I would really like to see some more power hitting upfront - Armia is the only one that seems board strong so Poehling would be my pick even over Weise and certainly over Weal 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, claremont said:

I hope he’s not in - imo he needs more seasoning and has had a penchant for getting cranked. I would really like to see some more power hitting upfront - Armia is the only one that seems board strong so Poehling would be my pick even over Weise and certainly over Weal 

There's room for both Poehling and Evans IMO. Weal and Weise should both be out, neither brings anything to the table, and Belzile, while better than the other two, isn't showing me he has any type of special skill that should keep him in the line-up either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

There's room for both Poehling and Evans IMO. Weal and Weise should both be out, neither brings anything to the table, and Belzile, while better than the other two, isn't showing me he has any type of special skill that should keep him in the line-up either.

Not to mention that since one of the things that supposedly offsets the blow of losing out on 1st or 9th is the fact we will 'get the kids some experience' it probably makes sense to actually play them. 

One of Fleury or Juulsen should be in for Ouellet so that Mete can go back to his natural position. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...