The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal vs Philadelphia Series Thread

20 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

If that KK penalty gets reviewed and results in supplementary discipline,,, keep an eye on the news headlines tomorrow about the crazy guy who burst the bubble in T.O.

What a brutal call to go with the other dozen or so that game.

You didn't expect anything different, did you? 

19 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

You didn't expect anything different, did you? 

I believe there won't be supplementary discipline ..KK hasn't shown himself to be a dirty player nor has he offended before and was following through with a hit when the player turned his back to the boards at the last second  ...that Montreal came back to win the game after 2 goals on that penalty was enough ....solid effort for 60 mins tonight ....proud of the team ...not over yet ...Drouin finally played a decent game ...  Drouin -Suzuki and Armia should be together next game 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

If that KK penalty gets reviewed and results in supplementary discipline,,, keep an eye on the news headlines tomorrow about the crazy guy who burst the bubble in T.O.

What a brutal call to go with the other dozen or so that game.

I am going to agree but disagree here. The hit itself was not malicious at all but it was a hit from behind. I know Sanheim turned at the last minute but the onus is on KK to recognize that he is in a vulnerable position. All that being said what Pissed me off is the review, the ref called a minor on the ice. They shouldn't be allowed to review the play to that extent it should only be reviewable to see if the player throwing the hit was acting predatory or not. Which KK clearly was not. Sanheim clearly turned and KK had committed to the hit. The end result should have been a boarding minor as the play was called on the ice. Hope to hell there is nothing more to come of this.

Re: the hit, like most, i dont believe it warranted a 5 minute major and a misconduct but remember that as soon as the boarding call was given, and it was assessed as a 5 minute, it had to come with a game misconduct as per rule 41.5  Because there was blood, it was either a 2 minute or a 5 minute + game. No other option. 

Im not excusing Lee, who is an absolute travesty of a referee, but there were really only 2 options and if Sanheim had been hurt seriously (say he got a concussion) the refs would have been in hot water for the call.   Also, KK would probably be facing supplementary discipline.   The way it is now, I suspect this is it - i dont think he'll miss any more time. 

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Re: the hit, like most, i dont believe it warranted a 5 minute major and a misconduct but remember that as soon as the boarding call was given, and it was assessed as a 5 minute, it had to come with a game misconduct as per rule 41.5  Because there was blood, it was either a 2 minute or a 5 minute + game. No other option. 

Im not excusing Lee, who is an absolute travesty of a referee, but there were really only 2 options and if Sanheim had been hurt seriously (say he got a concussion) the refs would have been in hot water for the call.   Also, KK would probably be facing supplementary discipline.   The way it is now, I suspect this is it - i dont think he'll miss any more time. 

Ya, a 5 min. + a game is pretty much what I expect to be the end all and be all. 

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

The worst call was the one that was not made when Gally had his tooth knocked out and there are reports he may have had his jaw fractured per RDS.

Yeah..You would think that the grocery store I go to would have red chilis but no...It has to be habaneros..

I'll get his name right from now on..I never Really thought it was Alice even before this..

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

The worst call was the one that was not made when Gally had his tooth knocked out and there are reports he may have had his jaw fractured per RDS.

That non call even the announcers were baffled at. That was a minimum 4 minute and very obvious. Unfortunately players like Gallagher that play on the edge don't get the benefit from the refs.

2 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

Refing the entire game was an absolute joke!!!

I would love to see the NHL start holding the refs accountable.  The call on KK was dismal, some of the onus must be placed on the player that turns his back, if he is that dumb he deserves to get a hit.

IMO opinion the NHL should of never invented the checking from behind penalty in the first place. I know it's for safety but from kids (with stop signs on their back ) now moving forward players put themselves in bad positions all the time. Years ago you were taught to NEVER put your back to the play and NEVER face the boards exposing yourself. I also absolutely hate the slashing call when someone knocks someone stick out of their hands! 

It appears that with 2 assists last night Drouout finally Drouin to the series.

From Sportsnet:
“I thought he had a really good game tonight,” said Muller. “And he did because he played with passion. He was involved, he was on the puck, he had the puck, and those type of players — that’s what they need; they need to be involved and feeling good with it. So if Drou participates the way he did here tonight in the game, much more involved, I think he’s going to get good results. Because of what he did in his commitment tonight he was a good hockey player and he was a big part of that win tonight.”

Those words by Muller speak volumes in my opinion. He had success because he played with passion and got involved. So, reading between the lines, he’s been a lazy floater up until this game.

To be honest with you, the NHL has never had anybody who could pass for being a good league president/commissioner. Everyone talks about how bad Bettman is, but I will say the worst was Clarence Campbell. It was a free-for-all when he was president, and Rocket Richard took the brunt of the abuse. Actually, just about every star player back then took a lot of abuse. Richard got suspended and the riot took place, Gordie Howe nearly died of a head injury, Bill Masterson died (accidentally) and Ted Green also nearly died (stick fight). Outside of Masterson, whose case was tragic, why were no measures taken to protect the players better? Richard was very critical of Campbell throughout Richard's and Campbell's lifetimes, and I believe deservedly so.

And outside of King Clancy and Red Story, the officials were pathetic back then. One of those pathetic officials, Bill Chadwick, at least did do something revolutionary. He invented the hand signals used today to signal penalties and other infractions. Richard once said that Clancy and Story would at least let you talk to them, which enabled him to let off a little bit of steam. And I have a feeling those two may have helped diffuse many a bad situation, not just with Richard, but with the rest of the players in the league.

I am saying this in response to those who were commenting on the officiating last night. I did not get to see the game because I was working. But I am glad the Habs won. Isn't it amazing what can happen when a team has a do-or-go home situation? Most teams usually fold up their tents.

Part of me expecting something on the Gallagher play but asleep some eospline the the fleets per who hit leaky after the empty net goal was scored with I think around 20 seconds left in the game it was a 5 minute and a game misconduct so basically 30 second or less at least fine him

My takeaways from last night:

Kotkaniemi deserved to receive a penalty for his boarding hit. However, I'm unsure if it deserved a major and a game misconduct. If I was Muller, I would throw the kid back out there and tell him to keep playing like he's been playing.

Joel Armia really showed his utility last night and, IMO, made a case for more minutes.

I didn't like the head tap by Suzuki. Not the end of the world, but I wouldn't make a habit of that sort of behavior. The kid seems classy and composed. Hopefully he gets back out there and has a great game six.

Niskanen deserves a suspension. He escaped without even a two minute penalty for his cross-check. At a crucial moment in the game, no less. If Kotkaniemi gets five and tossed, then the league has to suspend Niskanen for one game. I don't expect this to happen, but it's what SHOULD happen.

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Matt Niskanen will have a hearing on the cross check on Gally. 

49 minutes ago, maas_art said:

2 games would certainly help our chances....

I mean he's not amazing but he is their top RHD

Anybody holding their breath on a suspension? Probably get a fine and told to make sure the ref is not looking that way next time so as not to make him look bad,

44 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Anybody holding their breath on a suspension? Probably get a fine and told to make sure the ref is not looking that way next time so as not to make him look bad,

I woudlnt be shocked to see him get off with a warning, but I think the most likely outcome will be 1 game.  

Id be shocked if it was more. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

My takeaways from last night:

Kotkaniemi deserved to receive a penalty for his boarding hit. However, I'm unsure if it deserved a major and a game misconduct. If I was Muller, I would throw the kid back out there and tell him to keep playing like he's been playing.

Joel Armia really showed his utility last night and, IMO, made a case for more minutes.

I didn't like the head tap by Suzuki. Not the end of the world, but I wouldn't make a habit of that sort of behavior. The kid seems classy and composed. Hopefully he gets back out there and has a great game six.

Niskanen deserves a suspension. He escaped without even a two minute penalty for his cross-check. At a crucial moment in the game, no less. If Kotkaniemi gets five and tossed, then the league has to suspend Niskanen for one game. I don't expect this to happen, but it's what SHOULD happen.

I'm gonna be honest; I thought the cross check to Evan's face was worse than the one to Gallagher.  The latter can unfortunately be attributed to "playing hard" and "it's the playoffs" and "it's a hockey play" and the other repeated drivel.  Definitely a missed call and double minor, but that's all it is.  The one on Evans is a bullshit, post play scrum and the shot is directly to his face.  There's nothing hockey about that.  That's intent.  If they want to remove hits to the head, start by policing hits to the goddamn head.

As for the Kotkaniemi hit, that's got to be called.  I've never cared for injury determining the length of any repercussion to the offending player - penalize the action, not the result.  That said, I don't think five and the game was egregious with the "blood" rule.  Just hope this doesn't change his game.  I love his effort and he's be reborn in these playoffs.

• H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic