The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jake Allen

Regis22

What role are we expecting Vasili Demchenko to play in the organization this season? I feel like we have too many goaltenders right now.

We have Price and Allen on the NHL roster. Then we have Lindgren, McNiven, Demchenko, and Primeau. Primeau seems like the goaltender of the future (perhaps). I'm guessing the door is officially shut on Lindgren.

MB did say in his press conference that next year the team would get younger and that he thinks that is the way going forward. i also think Price and a couple of vets may be on the way out. if you look at what Ted said in his post Allen as the starter until Primeau is ready is probably going to give Primeau a better transition than having Price here as i don't see Price giving up his net for the kid without some issues and it saves us a ton of cap right there! i think he is looking to change the team quite a bit over the next year or so.

As much as no one thinks it's plausible, let's just say for a second you were MB and you decided you wanted to trade Price in the next year because you thought Primeau would be ready? What would your plan be? A team willing to take Price on would likely have to be one with no current true #1 goalie. Not sure I can see a team like Toronto or Boston or so on wanting to shell out 10M+ just for an upgrade. So in theory, it's a team that thinks it's close to contending but that needs a goalie to put it over the top because it's currently facing a tandem-type situation without a true starter. So Colorado, Vancouver, maybe Dallas or Vegas or Carolina or so on. But it's also going to have to be a team with cap space. And the type of player you're going to be getting back in such a trade is going to be not a number one goalie but a yield of picks, prospects, or younger NHL players that haven't yet established themselves as being core players on this contending team. I don't think Pittsburgh is trading Malkin for Price. I don't think Carolina is trading Svechnikov or Vancouver Hughes or so on. They're going to want to trade you pieces that don't affect their chances of winning now all that much. Because of that, MB would have to plan for an alternative in goal. What would your plan be? If you thought Primeau could be a #1 in 2 years but needed some time to adjust and tandem for now, you'd want a veteran goalie to teach him. You'd want a guy who has starter experience and allows you to still win now and play 50+ games if needed but that isn't locked into a long or expensive contract.

Do I think it's likely that MB has that much foresight and that that's his plan? No. But if his plan were to trade Price and turn things over to Primeau shortly, Allen and this contract pretty much tick all the boxes of what makes sense to bridge that gap and get us there. And should you decide you're taking that path in a year, you probably are better served by swapping out at least 2 of Tatar, Gallagher, and Weber to see you through...

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

As much as no one thinks it's plausible, let's just say for a second you were MB and you decided you wanted to trade Price in the next year because you thought Primeau would be ready? What would your plan be? A team willing to take Price on would likely have to be one with no current true #1 goalie. Not sure I can see a team like Toronto or Boston or so on wanting to shell out 10M+ just for an upgrade. So in theory, it's a team that thinks it's close to contending but that needs a goalie to put it over the top because it's currently facing a tandem-type situation without a true starter. So Colorado, Vancouver, maybe Dallas or Vegas or Carolina or so on. But it's also going to have to be a team with cap space. And the type of player you're going to be getting back in such a trade is going to be not a number one goalie but a yield of picks, prospects, or younger NHL players that haven't yet established themselves as being core players on this contending team. I don't think Pittsburgh is trading Malkin for Price. I don't think Carolina is trading Svechnikov or Vancouver Hughes or so on. They're going to want to trade you pieces that don't affect their chances of winning now all that much. Because of that, MB would have to plan for an alternative in goal. What would your plan be? If you thought Primeau could be a #1 in 2 years but needed some time to adjust and tandem for now, you'd want a veteran goalie to teach him. You'd want a guy who has starter experience and allows you to still win now and play 50+ games if needed but that isn't locked into a long or expensive contract.

Do I think it's likely that MB has that much foresight and that that's his plan? No. But if his plan were to trade Price and turn things over to Primeau shortly, Allen and this contract pretty much tick all the boxes of what makes sense to bridge that gap and get us there. And should you decide you're taking that path in a year, you probably are better served by swapping out at least 2 of Tatar, Gallagher, and Weber to see you through...

i highly doubt its the plan nor do I think it should be BUT  its a good plan B and I'm sure its in his thoughts 

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Its a well thought out plan, wish it was MBs. lol.  Somehow, like you, i dont think he could put all that together.

That said, if there's any team that Price would consider waiving his NTC for I think it would be Vancouver.  Close to his current and former homes & family.  again, I think its incredibly unlikely (I still believe MB thinks Price & weber are "untouchable") but you could probably start the talk around guys like Olli Juolevi and Jonah Gadjovich + one roster player + pick. 

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

What role are we expecting Vasili Demchenko to play in the organization this season? I feel like we have too many goaltenders right now.

We have Price and Allen on the NHL roster. Then we have Lindgren, McNiven, Demchenko, and Primeau. Primeau seems like the goaltender of the future (perhaps). I'm guessing the door is officially shut on Lindgren.

What trade value would any of these goalies have at this point?  

I thought it was an OK move to bring him in as a backup for one year behind Price and now we extend him for two years without having played a single game as a Hab. Another questionable move by MB. I suppose we now can put to rest who gets exposed in the draft.

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think Allen will maybe picked up by Seattle at that price ....if not it's a bonus and someone else can be moved in a trade ......one of them will be on the move regardless....I'm surprised Lindgren is still with the club actually 

32 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I thought it was an OK move to bring him in as a backup for one year behind Price and now we extend him for two years without having played a single game as a Hab. Another questionable move by MB. I suppose we now can put to rest who gets exposed in the draft.

Allen has already proved himself in the NHL ...and most recently his numbers last year were outstanding 

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah option 1/2 are the only ones that make this signing make sense to me.  I know we could have qualified McNiven (who will be RFA) and then exposed him but you have to figure the chances of the Kraken taking him would be very slim.  By exposing Allen, we offer a potentially interesting option. There probably wont be many (if any) better available goalies exposed.   Still seems odd to me.  

You’d almost think that Bergevin had plans the way Ted is presenting those options 

5 hours ago, arpem-can said:

I think Allen will maybe picked up by Seattle at that price ....if not it's a bonus and someone else can be moved in a trade ......one of them will be on the move regardless....I'm surprised Lindgren is still with the club actually 

Yep.  I think every team must expose one goalie to the Kraken.  We don't want that to be Price or Primeau, so I think this is why Allen was extended, so he can be exposed, and possibly selected.  I thought we bailed on Lindgren already too, maybe I was thinking of Condon.  

Hopefully Primeau can push us to trade Price one day, but until then, Price and Allen I think are the top goaltending duo in the league.

I did not like the extension when I first heard about it, but believe this is low risk as Allen should still get us a good return if we need to shed salary or find out Primeau is ready in a year or so. These moves will put up against the cap and create good strong competition for playing time. Bergevin has put this team together well. Now it's time for the players to do their part. 

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'd give him the start again tonight. Pretty congested schedule to start the season and lack of training camp... There's no need to have Price play back-to-back right now.

I agree unless Price really wants to shake off a weak game last night i think it makes sense to start Allen he seems very solid.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, electron58 said:

Great game Saturday night versus Flames. Tough loss.  Kept Habs in the game. A break here or there or better officiating and a different outcome could have happened.

Yep it is hard for the goalie to make the difference with no goals from us!

• H_T_L locked this topic