jennifer_rocket

Jeff Petry

18 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Four years. $25 million. $6.25 AAV.

Thats a not bad lock-up. Petry is well liked by teammates and the fans. I am not surprised - by all accounts he loves it here. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, habsisme said:

Super happy with this deal! 

Yeah, I think it's a good deal. Petry is good. Term and money are fair.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats an unbelievably team-friendly deal.  I think UFA he could get a LOT more than that (and probably term too).  

 

Just to put this into perspective: Jeff Petry just signed for $1.6m a year more than Karl Alzner.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Thats an unbelievably team-friendly deal.  I think UFA he could get a LOT more than that (and probably term too).  

Yeah. Sounds like a player who's settled in Montreal and really wants to stay. I would imagine family played a role in his decision!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the term especially,,, and the money (cap hit) is very team friendly.

750K a year raise. How can you really not be happy with this deal?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, the deal includes $8 million in signing bonuses, a 15 team no-trade clause and a full no-move clause.

I'm guessing that means he can't be exposed in the expansion draft.:lol:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, the deal includes $8 million in signing bonuses, a 15 team no-trade clause and a full no-move clause.

I'm guessing that means he can't be exposed in the expansion draft.:lol:

Correct.  Petry & Price must be protected, unless they waive their NMC

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This such a good signing ....less than 1 mill more than his current contract for 4 more years for a guy that loves it in Montreal and has steadily progressed into a dependable player since arriving ...I think the uncertainty of the NHL and Covid as well got this done in the end ...this brings stability to his family who have already become rooted in the community for going on 5 years ...great move 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looks like a win win.i like it and we know what we have on the right for a bit anyways.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great deal, nothing wrong with this at all. Good job MB!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great contract for Bergevin. The most important thing was not to end up giving a guy a 6-8 year deal through his 30's. Even 5 years would have been pushing it. So to come out with a 4-year deal makes sense for the club and the AAV is lower than what Petry would have gotten on the open market. There's clearly a bit of a hometown discount here, and Petry was pretty clear that he wants Gallagher and Danault to re-sign as well (although somewhat funny that he didn't mention anything about Tatar, Armia, etc.).

Yes, there's a NMC that doesn't allow him to be exposed in the ED, but now that he's signed, you're not going to want to expose him anyways. As it stands, the Habs don't really have a lot of D men to have to protect anyways. Romanov is exempt. Weber would be a loss in the short term but it would also be a positive to get out of his contract and Seattle may not want to risk having him just retire a year into his stay there. I still think we'd be better off trading Weber (and he's definitely the player I would trade now that we have Petry locked up). It would be a coup for MB to have Petry for 4 years, acquire Dumba and deal Weber for help elsewhere. So after Petry, Fleury is maybe the next guy you'd have any interest in protecting... if we lose Chiarot, Mete, Kulak, Edmundson, etc. they're frankly replaceable.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I still think we'd be better off trading Weber (and he's definitely the player I would trade now that we have Petry locked up). It would be a coup for MB to have Petry for 4 years, acquire Dumba and deal Weber for help elsewhere. So after Petry, Fleury is maybe the next guy you'd have any interest in protecting... if we lose Chiarot, Mete, Kulak, Edmundson, etc. they're frankly replaceable.

100% agree

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

As it stands, the Habs don't really have a lot of D men to have to protect anyways. Romanov is exempt. Weber would be a loss in the short term but it would also be a positive to get out of his contract and Seattle may not want to risk having him just retire a year into his stay there. I still think we'd be better off trading Weber (and he's definitely the player I would trade now that we have Petry locked up). It would be a coup for MB to have Petry for 4 years, acquire Dumba and deal Weber for help elsewhere. So after Petry, Fleury is maybe the next guy you'd have any interest in protecting... if we lose Chiarot, Mete, Kulak, Edmundson, etc. they're frankly replaceable.

Under the likely 7,3,1 formula we protect 2 more d-men after Petry. I suspect there is a Fleury vs Juulsen competition but Fleury will have to play 29 games to qualify and Juulsen has to play 40 games to be exposed. Platooning them might be a good idea so that neither qualify with Mete playing some RD if he is not traded. I still find it virtually impossible to trade Weber with that 6 year term to a team trying to manage cap unless some team mgmt./ownership is absolutely desperate. However given that Weber’s contract was cash paid up front, he would be tradeable to budget teams like ottawa or Arizona who might be able to pay little (noted there is some chargeback to Nashville if he retires). Seattle would get an absolute Cash steal by claiming Weber then only cash paying him $6m for 2021-22 and then $3M for 2022-23 and then he’s a $1m cash player for the last 3 years of his contract. Virtually certain that Weber will be ED protected unless Habs are willing to Risk giving him up for the cap room they would get if he is claimed.  Sure Weber is a gym rat and smart, but foot speed will enter into that decision. So the other 3rd d-man we protect will be whoever plays better between Edmundson and Chiarot - I figure it’s the former. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the signing.  If we weren't going to trade him, we got Petry for a good term & dollar value. We can always extend him yearly, after that.  Hopefully, Romanov is good enough to play on the same pairing, as Jeff. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.