The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Josh Anderson

kinot-2

54 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

You have to figure if MB was smart that he would have started by offering Domi for Anderson AND a pick coming back to us, for the reasons I listed above. Still shaking my head about how he got suckered into giving up a 2nd line center for a 2nd line winger and being the one to throw in an extra pick...

We will see when we sign contracts but I have this feeling that Domi was holding out for more than we wanted to pay and perhaps Anderson is going to take a more cap-friendly deal.  They both have the same agent so I woudlnt be surprised if MB knows exactly what both guys want/will take.

If thats the case then perhaps Anderson at say $3.5m is worth Domi at $5.5m + 3rd.  Clearly we were likely to play him in the bottom 6 and that kind of money on our 3rd or 4th lines is not ideal.  The other thing is that if MB's staff feel like the 72 point season was an outlier & he's really a 40-50 point player... and they think Anderson is ready to break out....

Still, we both agree a player's value in a trade should be set already, not revisionist in a year from now. 

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

It's another trade where you have to question the value MB got on his guy. Domi's value was much higher at the start of last year and completely dropped over the season as he got demoted to 4th line center and spare winger.

Many people in the media thought Domi had higher value than Anderson. Domi is younger, he's a center, he has a higher ceiling in terms of what he's produced, he has less injury history, etc. So surprised we not only gave up the better player on paper but had to add in a 3rd rounder.

All in all, we're a better team with Anderson than Domi just because Anderson fits our needs better and we didn't have a spot for Domi. But Domi fits Columbus' needs better, so really don't get the payment here. Excited to see Anderson and how he fits in but less than impressed with what MB gave up to make the trade.

A third round pick at #77 doesn’t have a high probability of making the roster - and I’d say we have a three 4th rounders at 97,101,108 that offset that probability loss. You’re getting overly critical of giving up a 3rd, and if there were other teams competing for this power winger which I suspect there were, then good on Bergevin for sealing the deal. IMO he got this right at this time for omg a 1 year older player. 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

A third round pick at #77 doesn’t have a high probability of making the roster - and I’d say we have a three 4th rounders at 97,101,108 that offset that probability loss. You’re getting overly critical of giving up a 3rd, and if there were other teams competing for this power winger which I suspect there were, then good on Bergevin for sealing the deal. IMO he got this right at this time for omg a 1 year older player. 

I'm agreed on the 3rd rounder not being a high-likelihood for success... but the fact we threw it in means Columbus convinced Bergevin that Anderson had more value than Domi. For a guy who spent all kinds of time whining about how hard it was to find top 6 centers, Bergevin sure caved on that dealing a center for a winger. Like I said, Domi is younger, less injury history, and he's a center. His best year was better than Anderson's best year. Other than size, everything points in Domi's favor. As was pointed out, we don't know what Domi's contract demands were, but otherwise, it's bizarre that MB paid the extra price to acquire a winger for a center. I don't think that's being overly critical. Every time we've talked about trading FOR a center, it's always pointed out that you can't just deal a winger of equal production or talent for a center. So why is it that when we're the ones shopping the center, we don't get full value.

14 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I'm agreed on the 3rd rounder not being a high-likelihood for success... but the fact we threw it in means Columbus convinced Bergevin that Anderson had more value than Domi. For a guy who spent all kinds of time whining about how hard it was to find top 6 centers, Bergevin sure caved on that dealing a center for a winger. Like I said, Domi is younger, less injury history, and he's a center. His best year was better than Anderson's best year. Other than size, everything points in Domi's favor. As was pointed out, we don't know what Domi's contract demands were, but otherwise, it's bizarre that MB paid the extra price to acquire a winger for a center. I don't think that's being overly critical. Every time we've talked about trading FOR a center, it's always pointed out that you can't just deal a winger of equal production or talent for a center. So why is it that when we're the ones shopping the center, we don't get full value.

I totally agree with what you're saying but in the end its a bit like bidding on ebay. In those last few seconds, do you hold fast at $99.99 or do you bump it up to $107? Like are you really willing to lose the item over $7.

If MB really feels like Anderson will flourish here and be our version of Tom Wilson but the only way he could get the deal done was by throwing in the 3rd I guess at some point you just bite the bullet.

I do agree that I feel that Domi as a centre, has more value than Anderson as a winger (plus Domi has a better career high year than Anderson) but i think you can also map their trajectories & say that Anderson was trending up (forgetting the injury plagued season) while domi has been sort of all over the place.  

My guess is that 1 for 1 would have been fair & MB just didnt want to lose this trade over a pick.

5 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Oh, we added a 3rd? Thought it was a one for one, MB vintage move. Thought Domi's value was a little higher to be honest, Anderson comes with question marks attached after all.

That makes two of us. I would think the third rounder should have been going the other way. I think this was about too much in one spot and not enough of the other. I think it's weak overall. Domi should have fetched much more. Must be the salary saw off type thing. Or the projected saw off. 

5 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Domi or Danault? Does this trade tell us who was the most amenable to dropping down the lineup? 

I think its more about who the team would rather have fill in, if JK or Suzuki falter. Danault is the more complete player for sure but i also think you could have gotten a better return for him and thats something to consider, especially if we're unlikely to agree on a contract amount in a year... 

Just now, HARBORSPORT said:

I liked Domi at first....he had fire in his belly....................but it quickly moved to his fists, so in the interest of staying out of the box, i'm not sad to see him go

Lol well, friend, if you didn’t like Domi for his penalty minutes, I’m sorry to say you probably not going to like Anderson much neither :P 

3 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Domi or Danault? Does this trade tell us who was the most amenable to dropping down the lineup? 

Danault won't drop down the the lineup. He will continue to play the best teams centre the majority of the time. A bit less, as he won't do that in the offensive end anymore. But he'll still match up with the best outride the offensive zone. 

5 minutes ago, dreegking said:

Danault won't drop down the the lineup. He will continue to play the best teams centre the majority of the time. A bit less, as he won't do that in the offensive end anymore. But he'll still match up with the best outride the offensive zone. 

IMO, he i one of the best PKers we have, 

16 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'm interested most in seeing the length of the contracts. I wonder if Domi is sort of thinking, "Winnipeg... I don't like this place," and opts for a shorter "prove it" deal.

I guess Winnipeg would be low on a lot of players lists of preferred destinations. Fortunately Columbus is pretty far from there.:lol:

Domi taking a couple of shots at the Habs management on the way out. Says he's excited to go to a team where he feels wanted. Adds that he doesn't know what happened, whereby one day he was playing in the top 6 and then suddenly he was being put on the 4th line and no one would tell him why or what he needed to do to move up in the line-up. Says that he thinks the team decided they were going to trade him and didn't want to invest in him any more.

Now you could say this is sour grapes, but there's a pattern here since Bergevin took over. Habs sour on a player be it for personality reasons or contract negotiations or what not and just stop giving them ice time or chances to succeed. The player's value plummets and then Bergevin trades them at their lowest value. This is why the Domi trade is disappointing... I actually feel Anderson is a great asset for us and will play well, but as with many other players (Subban, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, etc.) Bergevin allowed the player's value to fall before trading them.

Let's see if we get further proof of this concept with Tatar. He's clearly going to be the next one on the outs, given that MB has made it very clear the pecking order for new contracts was Petry, Gallagher, and then Danault, with no mention of any will to discuss something new with Tatar. MB already missed the boat to trade Tatar at peak value at the trade deadline last year. But will he now just wait until his value goes to zero or lose him for nothing? Or will the Habs continue to play Tatar in the top 6 and boost his value before looking for a swap?

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Domi taking a couple of shots at the Habs management on the way out. Says he's excited to go to a team where he feels wanted. Adds that he doesn't know what happened, whereby one day he was playing in the top 6 and then suddenly he was being put on the 4th line and no one would tell him why or what he needed to do to move up in the line-up. Says that he thinks the team decided they were going to trade him and didn't want to invest in him any more.

Now you could say this is sour grapes, but there's a pattern here since Bergevin took over. Habs sour on a player be it for personality reasons or contract negotiations or what not and just stop giving them ice time or chances to succeed. The player's value plummets and then Bergevin trades them at their lowest value. This is why the Domi trade is disappointing... I actually feel Anderson is a great asset for us and will play well, but as with many other players (Subban, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, etc.) Bergevin allowed the player's value to fall before trading them.

Let's see if we get further proof of this concept with Tatar. He's clearly going to be the next one on the outs, given that MB has made it very clear the pecking order for new contracts was Petry, Gallagher, and then Danault, with no mention of any will to discuss something new with Tatar. MB already missed the boat to trade Tatar at peak value at the trade deadline last year. But will he now just wait until his value goes to zero or lose him for nothing? Or will the Habs continue to play Tatar in the top 6 and boost his value before looking for a swap?

yeah but you look at all the trades he's made and they were all successful. As for Tatar, we need goal scoring and he adds that. If we're having a competitive season I'd rather keep him and then lose him for nothing if we can't get a favourable deal done. I think MBs plan is to wait and see how the season turns out and if it's bad he will trade the expiring contracts, and the goes for Danault and Gallagher as well (unless they are ready to sign a team-friendly deal) 

I'm good with this plan

22 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

This. 

What I dont get is the sudden drop.  He was playing top 6 minutes right up till the pandemic started & then when they came back for the play-in he was a 4th liner.  Maybe they reviewed tape all through the lockout & decided he wasnt as good a player as they wanted but again: why devalue him?   I will never, for the life of me, understand why we keep doing this.

Its absolutely 100% MB's call if we should move a player. I get that. But wouldnt you want him at high value before doing so?  I can almost guarantee if we had traded him at the deadline we would have gotten a lot more than we did waiting and then playing him down the lineup when it mattered most. 

• H_T_L locked this topic