The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

HABS 2020 Draft Picks

H_T_L

Some interesting picks.  Somewhat surprised at the positions ( 4C , 1 each LW, RW, LD, G) would have expected at least 1 or 2 RD but I guess BPA is never a bad option (you can always trade if you have a surplus).  Still, a lot of C for a team whose big league centres are 27, 24, 21, 21 and 20.... 

• H_T_L unpinned this topic
1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Some interesting picks.  Somewhat surprised at the positions ( 4C , 1 each LW, RW, LD, G) would have expected at least 1 or 2 RD but I guess BPA is never a bad option (you can always trade if you have a surplus).  Still, a lot of C for a team whose big league centres are 27, 24, 21, 21 and 20.... 

Don’t know about other sentiments but Guhle, Tuch and Mysak passed the truculence and eye test. I can understand the swing for the fences with one fourth rounder on Minnesotan Blake Biondi but given the track record of Poehling from Minnesota, taking another Minnesotan in Jack Smith (less than inspiring)is ? - if neither works out fire that Minnesota scout! Then taking a 5ft 9 winger in Farrell from Massachusetts is so puzzling given other alternatives. I followed a lot of prospects this year and a lot of reviews - the lack of move ups and passes on some good players really makes me question the Habs scouting department. 

4 minutes ago, claremont said:

Don’t know about other sentiments but Guhle, Tuch and Mysak passed the truculence and eye test. I can understand the swing for the fences with one fourth rounder on Minnesotan Blake Biondi but given the track record of Poehling from Minnesota, taking another Minnesotan in Jack Smith (less than inspiring)is ? - if neither works out fire that Minnesota scout! Then taking a 5ft 9 winger in Farrell from Massachusetts is so puzzling given other alternatives. I followed a lot of prospects this year and a lot of reviews - the lack of move ups and passes on some good players really makes me question the Habs scouting department. 

I dont know enough about scouting or prospects to really judge but going into this season if you look at out our top 9 and top 4 and goalie (our top 14 players) we have 5 players that we actually drafted: 

Gallager, Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen (may not even be top 9), Romanov (will probably be top 4), Price

With all the picks we've had the last couple of years and next year, this better change or we need to do something drastic about our scouting

I gotta say this was an underwhelming year for the Habs IMO. I think they did piss poor overall. Not sure how else to say it. We new we were getting a good player choice in the middle of the first round. But after that it left a lot to be desired. Some will say they got a steal in a foot eight player that slid big - we shall see. Otherwise a couple picked around expected. Not great fits IMO. A goalie that is a project. Big time. He's athletic and big but not so good at being a goaltender. Hmm... lots of big and athletic people in the world and all sports. That lack the finesse and acumen to be something other than big and athletic. I have a dreary feeling about this one. And it was a reach to boot. And then a guy who's so far off the radar in the middle of the draft? really? Sleepers are one thing but come on. Surely there a chance in the 6th or 7th for a guy who's 150 th ish in NA alone. going 100. That;'s not a reach that's a prayer and there is a difference.

I hope I am wrong, I often like the draft and feel pretty good about he Habs choices over the last ten years. Overall. This year? not at all. 

3 hours ago, habsisme said:

I dont know enough about scouting or prospects to really judge but going into this season if you look at out our top 9 and top 4 and goalie (our top 14 players) we have 5 players that we actually drafted: 

Gallager, Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen (may not even be top 9), Romanov (will probably be top 4), Price

With all the picks we've had the last couple of years and next year, this better change or we need to do something drastic about our scouting

Not quite fair, we gave up assets for assets. Assets that quite frankly were about to develop. and in fact usually that is the scouting screaming holy hell to get that kid. Someone they wanted but was taken before them, etc. Susuki and such. I think you forgot Evans and several others too btw. 

4 hours ago, claremont said:

Giving draft picks away in a strong year, it's almost like they feel they could not trust their own scouting while it seems others had no problem. It was a bad draft. It's all very strange. 

I really like the Guhle pick myself, anytime you can add a feisty D man with size is a bonus add to that he skates very well BONUS!

Tuch is also a nice sleeper pick, he has a similar play style to Gally IMO maybe a "tuch" nastier.  So finally maybe a player for the habs that has the balls to get in front of the net and cause some issues for opposing teams.  About time!

After that it's really a crap shoot.  I have had issues with the habs scouting staff for years so with the number of picks we had and the remaining players we drafted was a bit of a let down.  Think after the two mentioned above we could have done much better

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

I really like the Guhle pick myself, anytime you can add a feisty D man with size is a bonus add to that he skates very well BONUS!

Tuch is also a nice sleeper pick, he has a similar play style to Gally IMO maybe a "tuch" nastier.  So finally maybe a player for the habs that has the balls to get in front of the net and cause some issues for opposing teams.  About time!

After that it's really a crap shoot.  I have had issues with the habs scouting staff for years so with the number of picks we had and the remaining players we drafted was a bit of a let down.  Think after the two mentioned above we could have done much better

Totally agree - the team just seems unwilling to package a 2 for 1 of picks or other players and move up to increase the probability of a draft pick making the roster. I hope I’m wrong on my evaluation of this years draft - too many overrated Yankees. 

13 hours ago, Delirium79 said:

What an awesome hi-lite video. Thanks for that. What a sniper!  True goal scorer!  I guess the biggest concern, is his skating. Maybe bring him over sooner, to play in the AHL, and see how he fares. Definitely a fun video to watch. Maybe that will be the extent of him.  Kinda hope not, as a scorer like that would be so welcome in Montreal.

11 hours ago, dreegking said:

Giving draft picks away in a strong year, it's almost like they feel they could not trust their own scouting while it seems others had no problem. It was a bad draft. It's all very strange. 

geez I don't know if that's what happened....Montreal usually seems pretty well prepared , has their own combines and interviews , takes players out for dinners and one-on -ones more than most other teams from what I understand , have scouts all over the world ( like all teams ) ...all NHL teams were burdened this year with lack of travel primarily so preparation was difficult ...as for the notion the team was unwilling to do 2 for 1  deals or move up we don't know whether Montreal found dance partners or not for that especially this year...this was considered a strong draft but that doesn't mean after the 1st 50 or 60 players it isn't sporadic  ..there's only so many quality players to go around and my guess is it's like every other draft at that point and teams are taking stabs with their fingers crossed or simply filling needs ...every once in a while there's a Gallagher but it's rare ..I disagree with the notion it seemed they couldn't trust their own scouting any more than any other team ....it's not an exact science anyway 

• H_T_L locked this topic