Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Recommended Posts

  • H_T_L pinned this topic

I'm thinking the same but we could get surprises if there is a low market (which wouldn't be shocking). In a normal year Taylor Hall makes maybe 9-10 million, if the price range drops to 7-8, I think MB will make an offer and similar case for all the other free agents. If the price falls low enough, we have the room. 

No sense in signing bad contracts though 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Doubt MB does anything big but we'll see. Look for him to add some depth if anything.

I think he'll tinker with his 4th line. Kovalchuk and Simmonds are the two guys we've heard about in rumors. Maybe he adds another veteran center to challenge Evans.

On D, I think he'll trade away at least one of Mete or Kulak. I don't think he's going to sign anyone of note.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think he'll tinker with his 4th line. Kovalchuk and Simmonds are the two guys we've heard about in rumors. Maybe he adds another veteran center to challenge Evans.

On D, I think he'll trade away at least one of Mete or Kulak. I don't think he's going to sign anyone of note.

I don't think so. He very intentionally went to get a sixth dman to add. I think the organization has weakened on those in development and not on those on the roster. Can't see any starting Dman moving. Not at all. 

Could another forward move to make a big splash for a top 6 forward? In conjunction with a D.  ya. IMO. 

I think things are done other than making a play for a top 6 or top three player. Im guessing Hall and a couple others are in play for the Habs. In on the proposals. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think he'll tinker with his 4th line. Kovalchuk and Simmonds are the two guys we've heard about in rumors. Maybe he adds another veteran center to challenge Evans.

On D, I think he'll trade away at least one of Mete or Kulak. I don't think he's going to sign anyone of note.

Kovi is probably his base line out. After signing our UFA’s Anderson Mete etc - probably still have $6m in cap room. I expect the trade route to be explored. Will be an interesting competition to see who our 7 forwards will be protected in the Kraken draft - KK, Drouin, Anderson, Lehkonen are probably locks and assuming Gally and Danault likely resigned - one more spot and I assume Byron and Armia are likely unprotected. If we could dump Weal, and Mete or Kulak in a trade or pick up a free agent for another forward, it would push that competition. Armia has to step up to make me think about whether he should be resigned. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, electron58 said:

How much do we think Bergy has to spend?  Still need to sign players that we have now. Might not be much left over.

By buying out Alzner we lose about $1m ($3.9m vs $4.6m but we could have buried a portion of the latter number in the minors)

But by all accounts anderson should be cheaper than Domi.  We still have to sign a few RFA but Mete is likely the only guy who gets more than $1m.

 

Our cap, right now, without signing the RFAs is $10.8m.  Lets assume that Anderson & Mete eat about half that.  We still have a couple of other role players to go... you likely end up with $3-4m to spare. I cant see MB losing that cushion.  So, I dont think we're going to sign anyone of note tomorrow.   Maybe Kovalchuk. 

I cant help but think of something MB said a short while back when he said he had his sights set on a "big name winger"... i just cant see Anderson is that guy (he's probably less of a name than Domi TBH).  Maybe the deal fell through, who knows.  But i do still wonder if there's another trade in the works.  It would explain our surplus on D.  Like say Mete or Kulak + a guy like Drouin or Tatar for a more impact LW.  Dunno.   Im not holding my breath but you never know. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I hate MB as our GM I think he is going to surprise us all the FA periode.   Kovy coming back wouldn't be a huge surprise but I could also see him sending and offer sheet out to Barzal for 7.9 per.  If NYI match it no big deal if not then we have a nice piece to help build our team.

 

I have said it before I think Toffoli would be a nice pick up for us as well and given how I think Covid is going to bring prices down could be a nice fit, could certainly see MB tossing an offer his way as well. 

 

Biggest question and I am not really familiar with the player soo , what does everyone think of Declaire??  I know he has some size and did well in the Sens line up last year, plays both wings could he be a fit in MTL??

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

As much as I hate MB as our GM I think he is going to surprise us all the FA periode.   Kovy coming back wouldn't be a huge surprise but I could also see him sending and offer sheet out to Barzal for 7.9 per.  If NYI match it no big deal if not then we have a nice piece to help build our team.

 

I have said it before I think Toffoli would be a nice pick up for us as well and given how I think Covid is going to bring prices down could be a nice fit, could certainly see MB tossing an offer his way as well. 

 

Biggest question and I am not really familiar with the player soo , what does everyone think of Declaire??  I know he has some size and did well in the Sens line up last year, plays both wings could he be a fit in MTL??

I don't think there's any question question Bergevin will be trying to be in on what's out there ...I think Hall and Hoffman are in play ...Duclair is a possibility with baggage ....I don't think Toffoli for some reason ( just a feeling )  I would love a Barzal but they'll never get him ...Dadanov is another possibility or Kovy but I'm not convinced he should take up a roster spot ....after paying Anderson and Mete Montreal will have maybe $7.5  mill including their  10% ( till season starts ) so someone would have to go to land a bigger fish ..I still like Turris would work as a 4th line centre that would come cheap and he'd be close to home 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, maas_art said:

But by all accounts Anderson should be cheaper than Domi.  We still have to sign a few RFA but Mete is likely the only guy who gets more than $1m.

Our cap, right now, without signing the RFAs is $10.8m.  Lets assume that Anderson & Mete eat about half that.  We still have a couple of other role players to go... you likely end up with $3-4m to spare. I cant see MB losing that cushion.  So, I don't think we're going to sign anyone of note tomorrow.   Maybe Kovalchuk. 

I cant help but think of something MB said a short while back when he said he had his sights set on a "big name winger"... i just cant see Anderson is that guy (he's probably less of a name than Domi TBH).  Maybe the deal fell through, who knows.  But i do still wonder if there's another trade in the works.  It would explain our surplus on D.  Like say Mete or Kulak + a guy like Drouin or Tatar for a more impact LW.  Dunno.   I'm not holding my breath but you never know. 

 

 

So, $10.8M.  Juulsen 700K.  So $10.1. Gotta figure Mete for $2M.  So, $8.1M.  Gotta figure Hudon for 700K.  So, $7.4M. Gotta figure Ouellet for 700K.  So, $6.7M. & here is where it gets tricky. Bridge or Long Term for Anderson. Long Term may eat up $5.5M - $6M.  Hard to say. He's going to be looking for a big payday because of his unique skills that he has to offer.  Does Bergy take a chance with a Bridge? Only way more $ is left over.  & the way he talks about a "big name winger" I think this is it.  He made sure to tell everyone how once Anderson became available, he did what he had to do, to get him. So I'm thinking any more transactions will have players going out to compensate for the $ coming in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

I don't think there's any question question Bergevin will be trying to be in on what's out there ...I think Hall and Hoffman are in play ...Duclair is a possibility with baggage ....I don't think Toffoli for some reason ( just a feeling )  I would love a Barzal but they'll never get him ...Dadanov is another possibility or Kovy but I'm not convinced he should take up a roster spot ....after paying Anderson and Mete Montreal will have maybe $7.5  mill including their  10% ( till season starts ) so someone would have to go to land a bigger fish ..I still like Turris would work as a 4th line centre that would come cheap and he'd be close to home 

Bergevin may only be able to afford someone like a Duclair, but, he had a chance to bring him to Montreal as an UFA when we got Domi.  & with all Duclair's travels, there must be some baggage that we are not privy to.  So I'm thinking that it will probably be some 4rth line plug that he goes after. I just don't think the money is there anymore for a substantial upgrade.  May have to go the trade route, if the right fit is there.

Edited by electron58
Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah i dont see any big moves, if there are, it will mean a Danault, Tatar, or Gallagher are gone next year (if that's not ALREADY the case). 

I think MB will make some low offers and hope for the best but I think these UFAs will still get their money regardless of covid and the flat cap

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, electron58 said:

So, $10.8M.  Juulsen 700K.  So $10.1. Gotta figure Mete for $2M.  So, $8.1M.  Gotta figure Hudon for 700K.  So, $7.4M. Gotta figure Ouellet for 700K.  So, $6.7M. & here is where it gets tricky. Bridge or Long Term for Anderson. Long Term may eat up $5.5M - $6M.  Hard to say. He's going to be looking for a big payday because of his unique skills that he has to offer.  Does Bergy take a chance with a Bridge? Only way more $ is left over.  & the way he talks about a "big name winger" I think this is it.  He made sure to tell everyone how once Anderson became available, he did what he had to do, to get him. So I'm thinking any more transactions will have players going out to compensate for the $ coming in.

I think 5.5-6 for Anderson gets MB fired. I like the size he brings and all but that's (imo) crazy $, no way he becomes our highest paid forward. He's coming off a $1.85 AVV, and avg 21 g/season, not including his last injury riddled one. 

I'm out of touch and all but I'd offer something similar to the Edmundson deal and go from there

Edited by booboo_mtl
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

I don't think there's any question question Bergevin will be trying to be in on what's out there ...I think Hall and Hoffman are in play ...Duclair is a possibility with baggage ....I don't think Toffoli for some reason ( just a feeling )  I would love a Barzal but they'll never get him ...Dadanov is another possibility or Kovy but I'm not convinced he should take up a roster spot ....after paying Anderson and Mete Montreal will have maybe $7.5  mill including their  10% ( till season starts ) so someone would have to go to land a bigger fish ..I still like Turris would work as a 4th line centre that would come cheap and he'd be close to home 

We have $10.8m free right now. You think Mete & Anderson will sign for $3.3m a year combined??  Most likely we're going to have something like $3-4m free once we sign those 2 and a couple of our other RFA.  We can still trade people but we wont have tons of cap space unless we do. 

 

54 minutes ago, electron58 said:

So, $10.8M.  Juulsen 700K.  So $10.1. Gotta figure Mete for $2M.  So, $8.1M.  Gotta figure Hudon for 700K.  So, $7.4M. Gotta figure Ouellet for 700K.  So, $6.7M. & here is where it gets tricky. Bridge or Long Term for Anderson. Long Term may eat up $5.5M - $6M.  Hard to say. He's going to be looking for a big payday because of his unique skills that he has to offer.  Does Bergy take a chance with a Bridge? Only way more $ is left over.  & the way he talks about a "big name winger" I think this is it.  He made sure to tell everyone how once Anderson became available, he did what he had to do, to get him. So I'm thinking any more transactions will have players going out to compensate for the $ coming in.

 

3 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

I think 5.5-6 for Anderson gets MB fired. I like the size he brings and all but that's (imo) crazy $, no way he becomes our highest paid forward. He's coming off a $1.85 AVV, and avg 21 g/season, not including his last injury riddled one. 

I'm out of touch and all but I'd offer something similar to the Edmundson deal and go from there

Yeah, I think thats really high. Domi just signed for $5m  I think Anderson would be in the $3-4m range. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't imagine anything major happening for us. Our only in-house business at this point will be resigning Mete and Anderson. I can't imagine Mete will cost us much. Perhaps Anderson runs us $4-5 million per season. We'll probably be left with $3-4 million in cap space.

Maybe someone gets traded away on D.

Either way, I don't think we'll be players for any big names during this free agency period.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, maas_art said:
33 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, I think thats really high. Domi just signed for $5m  I think Anderson would be in the $3-4m range. 

 exactly my thoughts ...Anderson is going to be almost 2 million cheaper than Domi  at $ 5.3 so I'm looking at around $3.5 for 3 or 4 years  and I think he'll be happy doubling his salary and will sign ...teams can go over the cap can't they ( before the season starts ) so Bergevin can get creative and make room ...this might be the year you see guys like Teasdale or Poehling getting longer looks for the 4th line ....I think there's still a real possibility to add a bigger name like a Hoffman or Dadanov to the mix ...there would be takers for guys like Armia and Lehtonen or possibly Byron or Weal if room is needed .....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, habsisme said:

i would be surprised if Anderson cost us more than 4 per year. If it is more, it will be a very short term deal. I'm thinking/hoping its 3 years/10 million 

 

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

 exactly my thoughts ...Anderson is going to be almost 2 million cheaper than Domi  at $ 5.3 so I'm looking at around $3.5 for 3 or 4 years  and I think he'll be happy doubling his salary and will sign ...teams can go over the cap can't they ( before the season starts ) so Bergevin can get creative and make room ...this might be the year you see guys like Teasdale or Poehling getting longer looks for the 4th line ....I think there's still a real possibility to add a bigger name like a Hoffman or Dadanov to the mix ...there would be takers for guys like Armia and Lehtonen or possibly Byron or Weal if room is needed .....

My guess is that he believes he's worth more than what FMV is right now but i also think he understands that.  As such, my guess is that he'd prefer a 1 or 2 year "show me" deal and my take it at like $3m per.  If we offered him 5-6 years my guess is he'd want more per year because he believes he can be an impact player. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anderson is a big power forward who skates very well, he goes to the tough areas, he can score and he even back checks!!  I think he is worth much more than Paul Byron money but then again, unlike our scouting staff, I'm partial to big Canadian players that can skate, score and make opposing players keep their heads up. .

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dreegking said:

I don't think so. He very intentionally went to get a sixth dman to add. I think the organization has weakened on those in development and not on those on the roster. Can't see any starting Dman moving. Not at all. 

Could another forward move to make a big splash for a top 6 forward? In conjunction with a D.  ya. IMO. 

I think things are done other than making a play for a top 6 or top three player. Im guessing Hall and a couple others are in play for the Habs. In on the proposals. 

By my count, we have more than 6 NHL defencemen now. I think it's a guarantee that we'll see Weber, Petry, Chiarot, Edmundson, and Romanov on the starting roster. That's 5. Now add Mete, Kulak, and Juulsen. That's 3 more guys who would have to clear waivers to be sent down. Fleury could also force their hand, even though he doesn't need waivers to go down. Sure, you can argue the organization doesn't have trust in Juulsen yet, but he's still a former 1st round pick who's looked decent in the short stints he's been able to play. I don't think the Habs will risk losing him for nothing if he's healthy. So either they're going 8 guys on D or they're going to try and trade one of Kulak or Mete. IMO it's a dumb move because Edmundson is the weakest of the bunch, but since they just signed him, they're not trading him.

As far as adds up front go, as I said, I don't expect any kind of big splash. Bergevin has been pretty consistent about not getting suckered into bidding wars and you'd have to think he learned some type of lesson from overpaying Alzner. The biggest fish I could see him going after would be Dadonov. Past that, players like Hoffman, Toffoli, Jankowski, and now Wennberg could be in the mix. And as I said, Kovalchuk and Simmonds have been in rumors. The one guy who has kind of flown under the radar but who fits the type of players MB has been trying to add would be Craig Smith. If you can sign him for something like 2-3 years, 3.5M AAV, then he could be good value as a bottom 6 player.

Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, Friedman said today that his best guess on where Taylor Hall signs is Montreal. It's completely inconsistent with what MB has said he will do (he's repeatedly said he wants to save money to re-sign his own guys in coming years) but that's what Friedman reported. We would have to move someone out if we signed Hall. Tatar most likely. Maybe Drouin. Maybe Weber, even though that won't happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, AFAIK, Hall would LOVE to be a Hab at least once in his career.  He would immediately be one of our top players, the fans would love him. 

I believe if MB can get Hall at a reasonable price, he will, and then MB will figure things out from there...if you can add a talented piece at a reasonable rate, you do it.

It will really be up to how Hall wants to shape his career/legacy.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

FWIW, Friedman said today that his best guess on where Taylor Hall signs is Montreal. It's completely inconsistent with what MB has said he will do (he's repeatedly said he wants to save money to re-sign his own guys in coming years) but that's what Friedman reported. We would have to move someone out if we signed Hall. Tatar most likely. Maybe Drouin. Maybe Weber, even though that won't happen.

Agree that's a little inconsistent but with Bergevin, but one never knows where the wind blows with some of his ad hoc planning. We do know they are shopping Charles Hudon who if cannot be traded, is likely to reject his qualifying offer and move to play in Europe. Our $10.8M cap will be reduced by Anderson - probably $4M and Mete at $1-$1,3M so maybe we have $5.5M left at best. Ouellet is sure to get pushed to the minors. Practically speaking, Armia has probably the most trade value but he's a RW. Byron, Weal Or Kulak or even Mete would have to be cheaply sold for draft picks to fit Hall, or Tatar is dumped with a bit of salary retained to sweeten the deal. With the upcoming Kraken draft, I am not sure Tatar fits in the long term plans as part of the future core, so perhaps best to maximize his value now. It is an interesting how do you do it puzzle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dare I say we would be an actual threat to make the playoffs and do some damage with this:

Hall-Kotkaniemi-Anderson
Drouin-Suzuki-Armia
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Some collection of Randos to make the Hall cap fit

Chiarot-Weber
Kulak-Petry
Edmundson-Romanov

Price
Allen

That looks like an above average top 9, in front of an average-aboveaverage D, in front of elite goaltending.

Edited by Windoe
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...