The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

6 hours ago, Windoe said:

I agree its not an upgrade to our top 6...but it is an upgrade to our top 9 (which is only an upgrade, as you say, if we don't lose someone in our top 6).

This should give us 3 solid lines and overall top 9 depth:
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Then a bunch of options in the 4th line, hopefully this is where we become cap compliant.

We'll have to see what moves he makes to get us compliant.

I live with and know lots of Canucks fans, they are all saying Toffoli is a great pickup for us.  

6 hours ago, ChiLla said:

I like the signing, it gives us plenty of options in the top 9 and allows for proper development of Ylonen and Caufield in the AHL. Definitely the best lineup we've had in years IMO. I'm still not bullish on our LDs but they should get the job done defensively and I'm looking forward to see how Romanov is going to adapt.

1 hour ago, claremont said:

You might be looking too far down the road in a cap world where you can’t always keep everyone. The Toffoli and Anderson deal should send a sign to Gallagher that this team is serious about winning - something he has publicly stated he wants before recommitting to the Habs next year. Toffoli provides increased depth against injuries with his ability to play LW too. If there’s a competition next year between Gallagher and Armia for a contract at RW next year and we can only keep one because Caufield or Ylonen are ready, then let the better performance win out. We only lose a player on an expiring contract if we are on the playoff bubble and fail to trade them as a rental. Exact same principle for Tatar - if his performance next year does not merit a reasonable contract then have we let him walk for nothing? Maybe Tatar is in a competition with Drouin on next years performance and you trade Drouin and resign Tatar. 

If we lose a member of our top 6 due to injury, you’ll be begging for a player like Toffoli to step into that. In isolation it’s an absolute upgrade on our top 6 depth 

So Suzuki, JK, and Danault are our top 3 centers in some order. At wing, my top players going into 2020-21 are in order

1. Gallagher

2. Tatar

3. Drouin

4. Anderson

5. Toffoli

6. Armia

7. Lehkonen

8. Byron

That's the pecking order for me right now, with the understanding that players are going to move up and down. I suspect, for example, that Drouin and Anderson would both benefit greatly if they're allowed to play with Suzuki for an extended period of time, whereas Tatar and Gallagher might get hurt by losing ice time to more balanced lines. We'll see. I fully agree that our 3rd line is better now and that we have better depth for next season. But we did that at the expense of maxing out our salary cap when we haven't really addressed our need for 1-2 top 4 left-handed D men. LHD was a much more important spot to upgrade and we're now going forward on the assumptions that Romanov will be ready to adapt to a big role right away and that Edmundson will magically become a much better player than he has always been. Again, not a knock on Toffoli. In isolation, good player and decent contract to hand out. Just not sure how this fits into the big picture of things, which is what can be said about a lot of Bergevin's moves.

We also need to remember the ED is coming. So we've added Toffoli as a guy we'll likely need to protect. So now the list includes JK, Danault, Gallagher, Drouin, Anderson, Toffoli, and Lehkonen IMO. It means we're not protecting UFA's Tatar and Armia nor Evans. And like I said, it also begs the question of what we're doing with our impending free agents and what we're doing with our younger players coming up over the next couple of years. Sure, you can say let things play out as they may, but you just signed Toffoli to a 4-year deal, so you have to have some sort of plan for what you envision over that time. Look what happened when we signed Alzner for 5 years, it muddled up our salary cap and line-up for several years, and we had zero back-up plan for how to fix the left side of our D because MB was counting on him to be the #1 LHD. So in the same way, I'm confused by what MB plans at RW. I can tell you now that I cannot see Gallagher re-signing for anything less than 4 years. I also think he'll demand some sort of NTC. So if you re-sign BG, you now have Anderson, Toffoli, and Gallagher locked in for at least the next 4 years. If BG gets 7M a year, that's 17M locked into your top 3 right wingers. It means no clear spot for Caufield or Ylonen, never mind both, in your top 9.

So now let's imagine we're heading into next off-season. We are now projected to have 25M in cap space and the following players to have to make decisions on: Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, Armia, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Mete, and Allen and needing to add 2 other players to the roster as well to get to 23. Say we let Allen walk and promote Primeau. Say we re-sign Poehling to a contract under 1M and give 1M to Mete. So now we're looking at about 22M for the rest. Kotkaniemi should be staying. Let's say he gets a bridge deal for 3M a year as a 2nd-line center. That's now 19M for your 4 UFA forwards and 2 other forwards. And again, to be as liberal about this as possible, let's say we add two minimum-wage spares. So a tad over 17M left now for Danault, Gallagher, Tatar, and Armia. If the Habs are indeed prioritizing Danault and Gallagher over the other two, I'd estimate they require 13-14M to keep the two of them. That essentially means little to no chance of retaining Tatar or Armia unless we make other trades to dump the likes of Byron, Chiarot, or Edmundson.

So that brings us back to what I said: the success of this signing largely depends on what the follow-up move is. If the follow-up is letting Tatar walk at the end of the year, then we've just swapped out Tatar for Toffoli, and I think we're worse off in aggregate on that swap. If it's to let Gallagher walk or trade him for elements that don't help right away, same deal. Lose Gallagher and add Toffoli and our top 6 is worse. So this signing is really only a success if MB figures out what he's doing with his top 6 next year and finds a way to swap out Tatar for a younger player with potential or a top LHD.

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Maybe it's the death blow for Weal. Waiving him would get us back under. Saves a bit if he gets sent down to Laval and a bit more if he actually gets picked up.

Quite possibly. There sure seems to be no room for him on the roster with 12 players clearly ranking ahead of him (Suzuki, JK, Anderson, Drouin, Tatar, Gallagher, Toffoli, Lehkonen, Evans, Byron, Armia, Danault) and prospects like Poehling and Ylonen having way more future upside. 

While the waiving/sending to minors would take enough off the cap (i think we're around 800k over and Weal makes $1.4m - you can bury up to league min + $325k so thats right around $1.1m this year)  So we'd easily fit under the cap but wouldnt have much in the way of reserves - plus we run into some problems next year.

For sure Allen's $4m+ wont be on the board, but JK, Lekhs and Mete are RFA next year and Tatar, Gallagher, Danault and Armia are all UFA.  Plus there's the Kraken draft to consider.  While i think we likely will demote Weal, I also think that MB may consider trading off a player or players to get a bit of a cushion. 

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

So Suzuki, JK, and Danault are our top 3 centers in some order. At wing, my top players going into 2020-21 are in order

1. Gallagher

2. Tatar

3. Drouin

4. Anderson

5. Toffoli

6. Armia

7. Lehkonen

8. Byron

That's the pecking order for me right now, with the understanding that players are going to move up and down. I suspect, for example, that Drouin and Anderson would both benefit greatly if they're allowed to play with Suzuki for an extended period of time, whereas Tatar and Gallagher might get hurt by losing ice time to more balanced lines. We'll see. I fully agree that our 3rd line is better now and that we have better depth for next season. But we did that at the expense of maxing out our salary cap when we haven't really addressed our need for 1-2 top 4 left-handed D men. LHD was a much more important spot to upgrade and we're now going forward on the assumptions that Romanov will be ready to adapt to a big role right away and that Edmundson will magically become a much better player than he has always been. Again, not a knock on Toffoli. In isolation, good player and decent contract to hand out. Just not sure how this fits into the big picture of things, which is what can be said about a lot of Bergevin's moves.

We also need to remember the ED is coming. So we've added Toffoli as a guy we'll likely need to protect. So now the list includes JK, Danault, Gallagher, Drouin, Anderson, Toffoli, and Lehkonen IMO. It means we're not protecting UFA's Tatar and Armia nor Evans. And like I said, it also begs the question of what we're doing with our impending free agents and what we're doing with our younger players coming up over the next couple of years. Sure, you can say let things play out as they may, but you just signed Toffoli to a 4-year deal, so you have to have some sort of plan for what you envision over that time. Look what happened when we signed Alzner for 5 years, it muddled up our salary cap and line-up for several years, and we had zero back-up plan for how to fix the left side of our D because MB was counting on him to be the #1 LHD. So in the same way, I'm confused by what MB plans at RW. I can tell you now that I cannot see Gallagher re-signing for anything less than 4 years. I also think he'll demand some sort of NTC. So if you re-sign BG, you now have Anderson, Toffoli, and Gallagher locked in for at least the next 4 years. If BG gets 7M a year, that's 17M locked into your top 3 right wingers. It means no clear spot for Caufield or Ylonen, never mind both, in your top 9.

So now let's imagine we're heading into next off-season. We are now projected to have 25M in cap space and the following players to have to make decisions on: Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, Armia, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Mete, and Allen and needing to add 2 other players to the roster as well to get to 23. Say we let Allen walk and promote Primeau. Say we re-sign Poehling to a contract under 1M and give 1M to Mete. So now we're looking at about 22M for the rest. Kotkaniemi should be staying. Let's say he gets a bridge deal for 3M a year as a 2nd-line center. That's now 19M for your 4 UFA forwards and 2 other forwards. And again, to be as liberal about this as possible, let's say we add two minimum-wage spares. So a tad over 17M left now for Danault, Gallagher, Tatar, and Armia. If the Habs are indeed prioritizing Danault and Gallagher over the other two, I'd estimate they require 13-14M to keep the two of them. That essentially means little to no chance of retaining Tatar or Armia unless we make other trades to dump the likes of Byron, Chiarot, or Edmundson.

So that brings us back to what I said: the success of this signing largely depends on what the follow-up move is. If the follow-up is letting Tatar walk at the end of the year, then we've just swapped out Tatar for Toffoli, and I think we're worse off in aggregate on that swap. If it's to let Gallagher walk or trade him for elements that don't help right away, same deal. Lose Gallagher and add Toffoli and our top 6 is worse. So this signing is really only a success if MB figures out what he's doing with his top 6 next year and finds a way to swap out Tatar for a younger player with potential or a top LHD.

Man your no fun at all! lol! everything you say here is true but we are not done yet he has no choice but to do a salary dump but in my opinion we had plenty of dead weight last year that can be dumped that will ensure our more important players like Tatar are safe.

6 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Man your no fun at all! lol! everything you say here is true but we are not done yet he has no choice but to do a salary dump but in my opinion we had plenty of dead weight last year that can be dumped that will ensure our more important players like Tatar are safe.

As I said, I like the choice of Toffoli. He's a good player, so I'm not down on the signing the way I was about adding Alzner or Edmundson whereby those players have negative value to me. I also love the additions of Anderson and Allen, even though I think we overpaid in those trades. So overall, I think we'll be much improved. My concerns are the same as what has always plagued Bergevin, in that there's a real lack of vision or overall plan. He puts together a bunch of moves that in isolation seem good but don't really work together.

For the coming season, he hasn't fixed the problem at LHD unless Romanov becomes a miracle solution. If anything, I'd say we could be worse at LHD if Edmundson takes playing time away from the better Kulak and Romanov needs time to sort things out the way Emelin did. MB has finally gotten things sorted out at center and back-up goalie and now he's bungled things up at left D. In a couple of years, there's hope left D will be sorted out with some of Norlinder, Romanov, Harris, Struble, Guhle, etc. but by then, right D and left wing will probably be problem spots.

The Toffoli signing could well end up being a positive. It just requires additional moves to make things work. He'll need to clear some cap space for next year and if he's planning on losing Tatar or Gallagher because he spent the extra money on Toffoli, it's a lateral move at best and probably a downgrade. So I'd like to see something else to fix that. In all seriousness, the best thing MB could have done was just to never have traded for Edmundson. He's taking up 3.5M in cap space long-term, he isn't one of our top 6 D men, and we'd frankly be better off without him and not have a cap problem to fix right now.

19 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

As I said, I like the choice of Toffoli. He's a good player, so I'm not down on the signing the way I was about adding Alzner or Edmundson whereby those players have negative value to me. I also love the additions of Anderson and Allen, even though I think we overpaid in those trades. So overall, I think we'll be much improved. My concerns are the same as what has always plagued Bergevin, in that there's a real lack of vision or overall plan. He puts together a bunch of moves that in isolation seem good but don't really work together.

For the coming season, he hasn't fixed the problem at LHD unless Romanov becomes a miracle solution. If anything, I'd say we could be worse at LHD if Edmundson takes playing time away from the better Kulak and Romanov needs time to sort things out the way Emelin did. MB has finally gotten things sorted out at center and back-up goalie and now he's bungled things up at left D. In a couple of years, there's hope left D will be sorted out with some of Norlinder, Romanov, Harris, Struble, Guhle, etc. but by then, right D and left wing will probably be problem spots.

The Toffoli signing could well end up being a positive. It just requires additional moves to make things work. He'll need to clear some cap space for next year and if he's planning on losing Tatar or Gallagher because he spent the extra money on Toffoli, it's a lateral move at best and probably a downgrade. So I'd like to see something else to fix that. In all seriousness, the best thing MB could have done was just to never have traded for Edmundson. He's taking up 3.5M in cap space long-term, he isn't one of our top 6 D men, and we'd frankly be better off without him and not have a cap problem to fix right now.

a lot of folks around the league like Edmonsdon for our team. i like Kulak but he is hard to figure he can play really well the fall flat for a string of games. he has more talent than Edmonsdon but i also do like the idea of a more consistent d man to help us on the PK and after we score when we always seem to cough up another goal. once we see the team play as a unit we should have a better idea of what each player brings to our team. the whole team seems to feel Romanov is the real deal I guess we will see.

Edited by ramcharger440
28 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

It would be nice to just sit back and just watch this team play and see what chemistry can be developed in the first 20-25 games 

Ya, I'm sure that CJ will continually change things around to see what works in that time frame. 

Edited by kinot-2
37 minutes ago, xxdocxx said:

Kovalchuk still to sign?

Ya, but not with us. We're already at or neat the cap. We would have to shed some salary if we were to sign him, if I am reading you post correctly.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

1. Gallagher

2. Tatar

3. Drouin

4. Anderson

5. Toffoli

6. Armia

7. Lehkonen

8. Byron

I fully agree that our 3rd line is better now and that we have better depth for next season. But we did that at the expense of maxing out our salary cap when we haven't really addressed our need for 1-2 top 4 left-handed D men. LHD was a much more important spot to upgrade and we're now going forward on the assumptions that Romanov will be ready to adapt to a big role right away and that Edmundson will magically become a much better player than he has always been. Again, not a knock on Toffoli.  Just not sure how this fits into the big picture of things, which is what can be said about a lot of Bergevin's moves.

We also need to remember the ED is coming. So we've added Toffoli as a guy we'll likely need to protect. So now the list includes JK, Danault, Gallagher, Drouin, Anderson, Toffoli, and Lehkonen IMO. It means we're not protecting UFA's Tatar and Armia nor Evans. And like I said, it also begs the question of what we're doing with our impending free agents and what we're doing with our younger players coming up over the next couple of years. Sure, you can say let things play out as they may, but you just signed Toffoli to a 4-year deal, so you have to have some sort of plan for what you envision over that time. So in the same way, I'm confused by what MB plans at RW. I can tell you now that I cannot see Gallagher re-signing for anything less than 4 years. I also think he'll demand some sort of NTC. So if you re-sign BG, you now have Anderson, Toffoli, and Gallagher locked in for at least the next 4 years. If BG gets 7M a year, that's 17M locked into your top 3 right wingers. It means no clear spot for Caufield or Ylonen, never mind both, in your top 9.

So now let's imagine we're heading into next off-season. We are now projected to have 25M in cap space and the following players to have to make decisions on: Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, Armia, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Mete, and Allen and needing to add 2 other players to the roster as well to get to 23. So a tad over 17M left now for Danault, Gallagher, Tatar, and Armia. If the Habs are indeed prioritizing Danault and Gallagher over the other two, I'd estimate they require 13-14M to keep the two of them. That essentially means little to no chance of retaining Tatar or Armia unless we make other trades to dump the likes of Byron, Chiarot, or Edmundson.

1) I don’t disagree with your current winger rankings 2) I believe MB has a plan you’re just failing to see the dynamics of the follow up move IT DEPENDS ON PERFORMANCE - First Tatar has to demonstrate another follow up season on his 22/25 goal and 60 point seasons to even be considered for a Resigning contract - he likes it in Montreal and MB can gamble on him as a UFA without losing him in the ED. Toffoli playing his off wing is good insurance on losing Tatar due to being outbid. Secondly Armia has to deliver on his potential to be worthy of a resigning. If I were betting, $2.6M for a 10-15g 30 point RW won’t cut it, and I would be prepared to lose him and being outbid as a UFA. I wouldn’t be surprised if Armia is traded prior to the season start. Toffoli provides insurance again on this spot. Third, you wanted extra cap room next year, one of Byron, Kulak or possibly Chiarot (if Weber is exposed) is certain to be claimed in the ED, providing $2m-$3.5m in room next year, on top of Allen’s expected departure filled by Primeau

Swap out Tatar for Toffoli and be worse off - not if Tatar does not perform- if Tatar does perform then go mid-season contract extension and expose Lehkonen. Toffoli should be a big upgrade over Armia. 
I’ve read your stats which factually slag Edmundson and Chiarot - agree that MB is gambling on Romanov and Edmundson to improve the LHD side - we will have to watch. Personally I think Petry or Weber could make Edmundson better than his historical stats. 
Assuming we can extend Danualt, Gallagher has to be the next target but if he is difficult in negotiations and prices himself out, then at least we have Anderson and Toffoli. 

14 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

:4224:

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think your reservations and concerns are legitimate. 

I wouldnt be surprised if this is MB's plan right now though:
Bury/Waive/Trade Weal.    That puts us under the cap.  Then, wait and see.

You and I agree that MB has not done enough to fix the LD but he clearly thinks he has (quantity vs quality at LD) so we have to hope Romanov makes a huge jump.   Meanwhile, up front we probably have the best group we've had since the Turgeon-Damphouse-Koivu days.   But, as you've mentioned: what about the upcoming contracts?  What if JK explodes this year?  Gallagher? Tatar? Danault, Armia?

I think MB's plan is to wait & see how JK and Suzuki do. If they show they can handle the burden of #1 and 2 centres, I dont think he signs Danault, he trades him (or maybe he signs him and trades him).  Allen's money comes off the books & then you're probably ok for the rest of the contracts. Maybe Poehling steps up, maybe we get a Nate Thompson type player in the return package for Danault (or maybe we sign one as an UFA).  We also have guys like Vejdemo (although I worry about Vejdemo and Evans as 2 of our 4 centres as neither are very offensively gifted). Of course trading Danault mid-season (unless Poehling steps up right away) could be a problem because we would be a lot weaker without him this season at least. 

100% agree with you about Edmundson.  He's a fine #4-6 dman but not at all what we need.  I am sure he'll be just as competent as Chairot (so, better than expected, but not really of any value over Kulak or Mete etc) and mostly just eating up cap because MB thinks it makes us "tougher to play against." 

12 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Good deal by the Sens on Dadanov. Perfect term at decent money for a 25 goal guy.

Agree not bad at all. I like the Toffoli deal in my bias a tad better but factually - cheaper, younger, cup pedigree, both play off wing, TT slightly bigger. Dadaonov has better history of results though, but I like TT’s upside.

3 hours ago, claremont said:

Agree not bad at all. I like the Toffoli deal in my bias a tad better but factually - cheaper, younger, cup pedigree, both play off wing, TT slightly bigger. Dadaonov has better history of results though, but I like TT’s upside.

and Dadanov is 31 yrs old Toffoli  28 . 

2 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

NHL.com.  Rangers and defenseman Tony DeAngelo and goaltender Alexandar Georgiev agree on contracts.  Terms were not disclosed in either case.  

DeAngelo’s deal is worth $9.6 million and Georgiev’s $4.85 million, 2 years each.

On 12/10/2020 at 10:42 PM, xxdocxx said:

We can't have a number one RD, Plus a number 1 LD, Plus a number 1 RW, Plus a number 1 C , Plus a number one LW , Plus a number one G. It's all about Balance.

good point ...not many teams can say that ..this is the most balanced club the Habs have been for awhile and the only true #1 is Price ( Weber in his prime )..in the next couple of years  Suzuki , Caulfield and Romanov might added to that list ...it's encouraging for sure 

19 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Good deal by the Sens on Dadanov. Perfect term at decent money for a 25 goal guy.

19 hours ago, claremont said:

Yeah I was big on the idea of signing Dadonov but thats partially because I didnt think Toffoli was available.  The fact we got him for less $$ is even better.   Dadonov is probably considered more of a more pure goal-scorer  - even though he's never hit 30 and Toffoli has! - but Toffoli is a more complete player. I think he will fit better into CJ's system than Dadonov ever would.

The fact that Toffoli is effective on either wing is also a big plus.  We have Gallagher, Anderson, Armia as natural RW,  Drouin, Tatar & Lehks as natural LW and Toffoli & Byron comfortable on either (some of the other guys like Lehks can play either wing but are noticeably more effective at their natural position).  

Thats a lot of quality in your top 9. 

No way would I have Drouin ahead of Toffoli on the roster, if anything I would send him packing ASAP and hope to get a used jock strap in return just to clear his salary off the books. 

Once that salary is gone we could at least sign a Hofffman or Duclair

4 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

No way would I have Drouin ahead of Toffoli on the roster, if anything I would send him packing ASAP and hope to get a used jock strap in return just to clear his salary off the books. 

Once that salary is gone we could at least sign a Hofffman or Duclair

lol. tell us how you really feel. :4224:

• H_T_L locked this topic