Canadiens de Montreal

UFA free agency

H_T_L

4 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

And the Toronto Maple Leafs sign Joe Thornton -

1 year

$ 700,000

Why ?

This speaks volumes to the state of the Leafs more than anything ..Dubas has no doubt  made the team bigger but also slower and older ..the new schedule will burn out  guys like Spezza , Simmonds and Thornton and that doesn't even speak to where in the line-up they fit in because it's not going to be all together on the 4th line ...the dressing room and the press conferences will be better but that's about it . This is what happens when you tie up $40 million in 4 players in a flat cap NHL .

26 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

This speaks volumes to the state of the Leafs more than anything ..Dubas has no doubt  made the team bigger but also slower and older ..the new schedule will burn out  guys like Spezza , Simmonds and Thornton and that doesn't even speak to where in the line-up they fit in because it's not going to be all together on the 4th line ...the dressing room and the press conferences will be better but that's about it . This is what happens when you tie up $40 million in 4 players in a flat cap NHL .

This is so funny - signs Pierre Engvall for $1.5M per year for 2 year contract and now they roster him to the Marlies to make room for Jumbo 

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

. This is what happens when you tie up $40 million in 4 players in a flat cap NHL .

Well and all 4 are forwards.  Its one thing if you pay $10m+ to a centre a winger and a stud Dman but you cant even play your 4 elite guys on the same shift (except the PP)

1 hour ago, claremont said:

This is so funny - signs Pierre Engvall for $1.5M per year for 2 year contract and now they roster him to the Marlies to make room for Jumbo 

Its a tire-fire there.  What a mess. 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Dubas has crapped the bed ...how long does he stay in this position ?...unless Shanny is really making he calls ..so much for the advanced metrics philosophy ...getting older in an increasingly younger NHL ..sounds like a plan.....  how's the farm doing ?...oh that's right you got rid of young guy who was your fastest skater for a 2020 1st rounder at 15th overall because you needed cap space ...

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

Dubas has crapped the bed ...how long does he stay in this position ?...unless Shanny is really making he calls ..so much for the advanced metrics philosophy ...getting older in an increasingly younger NHL ..sounds like a plan.....  how's the farm doing ?...oh that's right you got rid of young guy who was your fastest skater for a 2020 1st rounder at 15th overall because you needed cap space ...

Still not too late to move Reilly and bring in Chara. :ph34r:

On 10/16/2020 at 5:07 PM, Regis22 said:

And the Toronto Maple Leafs sign Joe Thornton -

1 year

$ 700,000

Why ?

Kinda like when Bergy was filling the roster with all those plugs. Stunt the development of your prospects. Win just enough games to play yourself out of a good draft pick. We did it for years.  Even at the trade deadline.  But even a declining Joe Thornton is better than all those slugs we signed.  Not saying it's right, or a good move, but  I think he still has some value in a reduced role. Probably won't play back to back games. Just have to wait and see. Not hearing too much negativity about this signing on other news sites. &, it's a really cheap contract. So the signing is just keeping a prospect down.  Who knows, maybe the NHL increases the roster size?

2 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Kinda like when Bergy was filling the roster with all those plugs. Stunt the development of your prospects. Win just enough games to play yourself out of a good draft pick. We did it for years.  Even at the trade deadline.  But even a declining Joe Thornton is better than all those slugs we signed.  Not saying it's right, or a good move, but  I think he still has some value in a reduced role. Probably won't play back to back games. Just have to wait and see. Not hearing too much negativity about this signing on other news sites. &, it's a really cheap contract. So the signing is just keeping a prospect down.  Who knows, maybe the NHL increases the roster size?

I'm sure Thornton will be popular among Leaf fans but really $ 700,000 is borderline insulting and about  all Toronto could afford ..I'm sure he'll be great in the dressing room but as one pundit pointed out if you're not putting up decent numbers  and losing the 3rd and 4th line battles the voice becomes less audible ....his points will come on the 2nd PP unit and not so much anywhere else ..teams will also key in on Joe's pass first/ don't shoot often  mentality and his lack of speed and no matter how smart he is that will be a huge factor going forward ...good thing he's big because "reduced role " pretty much sums it up ....it would stunt the the development of the prospects if Toronto wasn't already  lacking there too ....currently ranked average and somewhere like 16th- 18th  in the NHL depending who is evaluating . 

Say it ain't so Joe. Leafs looking for leadership? Spent 40 Mil on scoring but have no voice in room? So they get big slow Joe! The kids are alright......apparently Dubas and the Leafs got fooled again and the beat goes on. They are clearly determined to remain the traditional Leafs of the past. Playoff team? I don't think this is going to end well. My guess is the Sabres with Hall will replace the Leafs in the standings for the final playoff spot in the east. I am not sure how this signing sends any sort of positive message to the team, They have 8 UFA's to sign at the end of the year including  Andersen and Hyman which will leave little to sign or replace the other 6 UFAs who are all making around 1 mil per year and then have Reilly due for a raise the following year. Not sure if the Leafs will be able to afford that contract or be able to match any offers Reilly gets elsewhere. He may be on the block by the trade deadline if Dubas continues to be captain dubious. Time to get a  Shanahandle on this situation as this may be one of the last moves Dubas makes for this team.

20 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

Say it ain't so Joe. Leafs looking for leadership? Spent 40 Mil on scoring but have no voice in room? So they get big slow Joe! The kids are alright......apparently Dubas and the Leafs got fooled again and the beat goes on. They are clearly determined to remain the traditional Leafs of the past. Playoff team? I don't think this is going to end well.  I am not sure how this signing sends any sort of positive message to the team,

Exactly my point in another post - what message does Thornton and Spezza and Simmonds send to the rest of the team? IMO it’s clearly Tavares, Muzzin, Reilly, and Newly acquired Brodie who are veterans  - “you guys are incapable of any mentoring / leadership / locker room presence so we needed to add more qualified veterans”! I can understand maybe adding one of those 3 players but 3 retreads is ridiculous. For similar reasons I’d take a pass on someone like Kovalchuk now. 

55 minutes ago, claremont said:

Exactly my point in another post - what message does Thornton and Spezza and Simmonds send to the rest of the team? IMO it’s clearly Tavares, Muzzin, Reilly, and Newly acquired Brodie who are veterans  - “you guys are incapable of any mentoring / leadership / locker room presence so we needed to add more qualified veterans”! I can understand maybe adding one of those 3 players but 3 retreads is ridiculous. For similar reasons I’d take a pass on someone like Kovalchuk now. 

I think it sends the message that "we pay you guys too much so we need either <20 or >35 to be able to afford them. :4224:

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think it sends the message that "we pay you guys too much so we need either <20 or >35 to be able to afford them. :4224:

That reminds me of when the Detroit Red Wings signed Rogie Vachon, and proceeded to play him every game because they had all this money tied up in him.  Little did they know, he had a vision problem so he wasn't at his best,  and they kept playing him. Not exactly the same analogy, but that's what it reminded me of.

On 18/10/2020 at 4:59 PM, Habberwacky said:

Mikheyev wants a $2.7 deal in arbitration from the Leafs who countered with a $1 mill per ...26 years old , 38 games in the NHL , underwent wrist surgery for a severed artery and tendon ending his season ....does anybody think the Leafs will give him that? ....they can barely afford Joe @ $700,000 for one year ....who is this guys agent ?

• H_T_L locked this topic