Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

UFA free agency


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Tyler Johnson on waivers is so odd. I guess TB desperately needs to clear cap space. If 20 teams put in a claim, does he just go to the team with the worst record from last season?

Yup.  I wouldnt be surprised at all to see him in a Red Wings uni next year

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

For sure. He'd do well there i think. 

I think so too. Plus I always liked them, so I don’t mind them picking up a few good players. Also looking forward to see Seider next season (hopefully).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

This "free agent frenzy" is pretty quiet.

Usually is!  every year we get excited  & then... nothing. lol

This year seems especially bad though.  

2019 Free Agency after 2 hours: -63 contracts -137 contract years -$141M in total cap hit -$500M in total contract dollars

2020 Free Agency after 2 hours: -22 signings -41 contract years -$40M in total cap hit -$94M in total contract value

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Looks like Wennberg went to FLO. Were we supposed to be interested in him?

Yes, Wennberg to Florida for a reasonable 2.25M or so. Jankowski to Pittsburgh. Turris to Edmonton. Simmonds to Toronto. Smith rumored to be between Ottawa and Boston as top options. So man of the guys tossed around for Montreal seem to be headed elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But Dadonov, Hall, Hoffman, Smith, Toffoli all still out there. So makes you wonder if these guys aren't getting what they thought they would. Usually we see bigger names go first and then supporting players have to wait. This year, it's middle-tier players signing first, maybe because they're more willing to take shorter deals. Wouldn't be surprised to see some of the bigger names have to take less or take 1-year prove-it deals. Could be an opening for MB to jump in later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also technically still room for an offer sheet. Barzal. Dubois. Sergachev... could be a better year to have one pass through with teams scrambling to deal with less revenues and a flat cap. Not that we have the cap space ourselves to do it any more. Exactly why MB shouldn't have rushed to spend 4M+ on a back-up goalie and pay Edmundson. He would have had money left to look at a bigger name, and there were plenty of goalie options out there for cheaper. Not that they're better than Allen, but I'd rather have looked at signing a Hall on a 2-year deal if he was willing to take it and spent less money on a Jimmy Howard and Mete than signed a Kovalchuk up front and gone with Allen and Edmundson.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MB says they have looked at Hall but player has to fit into the cap space available. Says there is a reason he hasn't been signed yet, so guessing that means player's demands too high for everyone right now. At least Habs still in on things...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll say it again, but biggest coup MB could make this free agency period would be to come out of nowhere and sign Pietrangelo then turn around and trade Weber for someone like Laine or Nylander or Byram or so on. Go out and get a bit younger at RHD and at the same time add a top notch asset.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

MB says they have looked at Hall but player has to fit into the cap space available. Says there is a reason he hasn't been signed yet, so guessing that means player's demands too high for everyone right now. At least Habs still in on things...

Could be the absolute perfect year to pull an "out of nowhere" vanek type move.  I wouldnt be surprised at all if he offered Hall a take-it-or-leave-it deal.   

That said, if the numbers are millions of dollars less than they would have been pre-covid, the tax thing in montreal may be even more of a turn off than in a usual year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Tyler Johnson on waivers is so odd. I guess TB desperately needs to clear cap space. If 20 teams put in a claim, does he just go to the team with the worst record from last season?

 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yup.  I wouldnt be surprised at all to see him in a Red Wings uni next year

 

I’m sure the wings will pick him up, but I highly doubt he’ll suit up as a wing for long, if at all. Smells like a bit of collusion between the two clubs to circumvent the cap. Once Tampa has the money cleared up they’ll send a lil’ something Detroit’s way in a trade to get him back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

 ....dodged a slow bullet 

Agreed, there's no real need and I don't see the point of wasting a roster spot for a guy like Simmonds at this stage of his career. He's not going to tip the scales either way on this team IMO, so why bother.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

on a one year deal, i would have like Simmonds. He would have been a good 4th line player. Right now we got:

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson

Tatar - Kotkaniemi/Danault - Gallagher

Byron/Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi/Danault - Armia

Byron/Lehkonen - Poehling/Evans - Weal

I can't say I love the 4th line. I'm pretty happy with the top 3 lines though. 

Romanov - Weber (I really hope Romanov is given every opportunity to get top line minutes)

Edmundson - Petry 

Kulak - Chariot 

And we have Mete and a bunch of young guy that could fill in

All in all we're better this year on paper. Could use another forward and maybe move another one out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, habsisme said:

on a one year deal, i would have like Simmonds. He would have been a good 4th line player. Right now we got:

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson

Tatar - Kotkaniemi/Danault - Gallagher

Byron/Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi/Danault - Armia

Byron/Lehkonen - Poehling/Evans - Weal

I can't say I love the 4th line. I'm pretty happy with the top 3 lines though. 

Romanov - Weber (I really hope Romanov is given every opportunity to get top line minutes)

Edmundson - Petry 

Kulak - Chariot 

And we have Mete and a bunch of young guy that could fill in

All in all we're better this year on paper. Could use another forward and maybe move another one out

Fair enough, he would have improved our fourth line for sure and possibly could have been useful as a short-term replacement on other lines as well. Still quite a lot of money to spend on a a guy who's essentially penciled in as a fourth liner. On the other hand, if we don't spend the money elsewhere, it wouldn't really matter on a short term deal I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...