The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

UFA free agency

H_T_L

59 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Not only Caufield, but (and I know I've been repeating this over and over) Ylonen as well. Depending on COVID, he should get his first taste of the AHL this year and he could easily be a top 9 player here within a year or two. So with Anderson locked up, I'm not sure there's a need for Gallagher in 3-4 years. On the other hand, he's been such a warrior for the Habs and grossly underpaid, so you can't really be asking him to take a hometown discount. He himself has clearly said he wants to win and wants to see what MB does with the roster before re-signing. So I'm wondering what the fit is going forward. The Habs have good prospect depth at LHD and RW. They need more help at RHD and LW. So as I said, while this opinion may be unpopular with fans and with MB himself, I wonder if Tatar, Gallagher, and Weber could be good trade bait to bring back some younger guys and to create the cap space we need going forward as well. We can't afford to keep everyone under the cap, so difficult decisions will need to be made.

One tough decision will be whether to resign Armia. Assuming the Habs make the playoffs I don’t see Tatar or Gallagher getting traded as rentals or post-season sign and trade. I don’t disagree on Weber as his front loaded contract has value to cash strapped teams that have cap room after this year, especially in the last 4 years of his contract. I had previous thoughts on maybe not protecting him in the Kraken draft (albeit we get nothing for him other than cap room). With the cap being flat, his contract is imo tough to trade. 

Well another year and all the Marquee FA's are gone and MB has sat on GM'S wallet and done nothing to give the team a major boost. Even Buffalo got Hall are you telling me that MB is such a bad salesman for the city and team that Hall would rather go to Buffalo then sign long term with the Habs! What a crock of shot this is! MB has got to go! Buffalo has no better chance of winning the cup this year than the Habs do so how is it that MB couldn't out bid them! MB doesn't want to win he wants to save his job! He is a con artist and GM is buying every line.

20 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Well another year and all the Marquee FA's are gone and MB has sat on GM'S wallet and done nothing to give the team a major boost. Even Buffalo got Hall are you telling me that MB is such a bad salesman for the city and team that Hall would rather go to Buffalo then sign long term with the Habs! What a crock of shot this is! MB has got to go! Buffalo has no better chance of winning the cup this year than the Habs do so how is it that MB couldn't out bid them! MB doesn't want to win he wants to save his job! He is a con artist and GM is buying every line.

this signing for Hall wasn't about the money per say, although it's not chump change ...it's a 1 year show me  ...maybe Montreal offered him more  like Simmonds and maybe he didn't just want to come ? ....he didn't sign with Colorado either , or the Bruins or Columbus ....Hall is waiting for the coin to go back up to around 10 (with term) banking  he'll have  a good year with Eichel .

13 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

this signing for Hall wasn't about the money per say, although it's not chump change ...it's a 1 year show me  ...maybe Montreal offered him more  like Simmonds and maybe he didn't just want to come ? ....he didn't sign with Colorado either , or the Bruins or Columbus ....Hall is waiting for the coin to go back up to around 10 (with term) banking  he'll have  a good year with Eichel .

MB never even offered him a contract per LeBrun Twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1315474618745061378

One more reason to FIRE HIS ASS!!!

27 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

MB never even offered him a contract per LeBrun Twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1315474618745061378

One more reason to FIRE HIS ASS!!!

I'm surprised he didn't even try. Our salary cap situation was created by MB himself when he added Allen and Edmundson for a combined ~9M. I would've preferred Lundqvist over Allen, then trade Byron or Tatar and you have your Cap space - at least for a year.

It's funny because usually we make an offer and the best UFAs turn us down, then MB tells us UFAs don't want to come here and how hard it all is. This year - if all the talk in the media was accurate - it seems that Montreal was very much an option for Hall, we still didn't get him htough because well... Edmundson and Allen were bigger prioritites I guess.

8 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Major boost - agree. Minor boost somewhat. At some point your improvement has to come from your organic core of the players and the GM becomes a minor enabler. I’m not so sure a GM wins the cup but is just a factor. I’ve been of the opinion that you can’t make the Roman Empire in a short period out of farmers, and that after the Kraken draft, next year is the year for the major boost. There’s too many question marks on KK Suzuki, Romanov and Drouin’s comeback. Do you feel they were worthy of being surrounded with big splash free agents or the big trade? 
I get that Weber and Price’s window to win is getting shorter, and I am far from MB’s biggest supporter, nor like laff fans who believe their team has the best players regardless of stats and results.  I believe that if Anderson and Edmundson and to a lesser extent Allen, fail to get this team Comfortably into the playoffs, that this will be MB’s nail in the coffin. I was disappointed that we did not get much of a draft scoring boost or package up some picks for higher value picks. I grudgingly accept that maybe Guhle was the best available  player because he can play both sides can skate and has some nastiness in him. We all want results! 

59 minutes ago, claremont said:

Major boost - agree. Minor boost somewhat. At some point your improvement has to come from your organic core of the players and the GM becomes a minor enabler. I’m not so sure a GM wins the cup but is just a factor. I’ve been of the opinion that you can’t make the Roman Empire in a short period out of farmers, and that after the Kraken draft, next year is the year for the major boost. There’s too many question marks on KK Suzuki, Romanov and Drouin’s comeback. Do you feel they were worthy of being surrounded with big splash free agents or the big trade? 
I get that Weber and Price’s window to win is getting shorter, and I am far from MB’s biggest supporter, nor like laff fans who believe their team has the best players regardless of stats and results.  I believe that if Anderson and Edmundson and to a lesser extent Allen, fail to get this team Comfortably into the playoffs, that this will be MB’s nail in the coffin. I was disappointed that we did not get much of a draft scoring boost or package up some picks for higher value picks. I grudgingly accept that maybe Guhle was the best available  player because he can play both sides can skate and has some nastiness in him. We all want results! 

My opinion is this. GM accepted MB's 5 year rebuild plan. It failed miserably! Then GM accepted MB's retool in 2018. It has thus far been nothing better than the rebuild which is a miserable fail. MB tried to sign Aho and Duchene (at least he tried right) but then a guy who actually announced that Montreal was on his short list and is exactly the type of player we need to be serious playoff contenders, HE DOESN'T EVEN SEND AN OFFER!!!! That is an insult to the team. MB said at the season end presser that we need scoring and size up front. That is Hall to a tee. Instead he adds another #3-6 LHD (which we have like 300 of. I know it's an exaggeration but still) and an often injured RW who may be able to help. Instead of offering the one FA that actually ticks all of the boxes and was considering coming to Montreal. MB doesn't want to win the cup he wants to luck into the cup.

38 minutes ago, claremont said:

It appears that Hall only wanted 1 year and doesn't , after all , care whether it's to a contender unless he believes he'll make the Sabres one . I think he's waiting for the NHL Covid smoke to clear to sign a big contract elsewhere ( next year ? ) or maybe even with Buffalo. That's it . I don't think Montreal wanted to rent him for a year and his demands were for term and a ton of money most teams couldn't justify and possibly losing him to the highest bidder next year . Maybe he didn't just want to come to Quebec . He wouldn't be the first . A bunch of team's managers passed or missed on  landing him him not just Bergevin . Why didn't he go to NYR or Columbus or Boston or Colorado ?....Maybe he will want  Buffalo to give him Eichel money pre the Kraken ED and is this player worth $11 mill  with term who only averages 65-69 pts a year over his up and down career . Lots of variables , risks and unknowns in this signing .

23 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

It appears that Hall only wanted 1 year and doesn't , after all , care whether it's to a contender unless he believes he'll make the Sabres one . I think he's waiting for the NHL Covid smoke to clear to sign a big contract elsewhere ( next year ? ) or maybe even with Buffalo. That's it . I don't think Montreal wanted to rent him for a year and his demands were for term and a ton of money most teams couldn't justify and possibly losing him to the highest bidder next year . Maybe he didn't just want to come to Quebec . He wouldn't be the first . A bunch of team's managers passed or missed on  landing him him not just Bergevin . Why didn't he go to NYR or Columbus or Boston or Colorado ?....Maybe he will want  Buffalo to give him Eichel money pre the Kraken ED and is this player worth $11 mill  with term who only averages 65-69 pts a year over his up and down career . Lots of variables , risks and unknowns in this signing .

Reports were he had Montreal on his short list and MB wouldn't even make him an offer. Electing to spend 9 Mil on a backup and a 3-6 LHD (which we didn't need BTW) instead! MB wants to luck into the playoffs and cup cause he has no idea what it will take to actually build a contender. Only way MB is actually fired is if fans riot or stop paying for merchandise and tickets

11 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I just don't get the MB hate on these boards. My only real criticism has been drafting and its the reason we're not winning. I hope the last few drafts turn out differently. We're not going to become genuine contenders through trades or free agency. 

How many times have the Habs made the playoffs  while MB has been GM ? Any other organization he would have been replaced by now

6 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I just don't get the MB hate on these boards. My only real criticism has been drafting and its the reason we're not winning. I hope the last few drafts turn out differently. We're not going to become genuine contenders through trades or free agency. 

Doesn't drafting fall under his duties as GM though? If drafting is our issue, he's had close to a decade to address it and make changes in that area. I admittedly am not a big fan of his for a number of reasons even though he has done some good things and is far from the worst GM we've ever had. We sat on some big Cap surpluses for years and just let them sit there rather then use it to patch some glaring holes in the lineup. As a rich team it's inexcusable in my book to let those opportunities pass you by. His failures to get us in the playoffs are reason alone to lose your job IMO.

30 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Doesn't drafting fall under his duties as GM though? If drafting is our issue, he's had close to a decade to address it and make changes in that area. I admittedly am not a big fan of his for a number of reasons even though he has done some good things and is far from the worst GM we've ever had. We sat on some big Cap surpluses for years and just let them sit there rather then use it to patch some glaring holes in the lineup. As a rich team it's inexcusable in my book to let those opportunities pass you by. His failures to get us in the playoffs are reason alone to lose your job IMO.

The biggest reason to hate MB is his opinion that Stanley Cup winners are just lucky. That IF you make the playoffs anything can happen. That is so far from the truth that it is an embarrassment to the organization and the NHL in general. If it were true then you wouldn't have the same teams favoured to win the cup year in and year out let alone multiple Cup winners in the same decade. His plan is to LUCK into a cup! Well that would be like my life plan being to luck into fame and fortune. It's never going to happen so admit it fix it and ACTUALLY build a contender!!!

I'm excited about this season. Our left D side looks a lot better and our right side up front has definitely improved. We've added size and have good back up goalie in a year where it might be extra important. I'm also excited about seeing what Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov, Poehling and even Evans can do. 

There's lots to look forward to and if the season doesn't turn out well we have some players on expiring deals we can trade to bolster our rebuilding effort. 

Taylor Hall wanted to play with Eichel to boost his stats in another contract year. 

I don't see any reason to be upset. We're significantly better on paper and if it doesn't come to fruition, we have parts to move.

26 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I'm excited about this season. Our left D side looks a lot better and our right side up front has definitely improved. We've added size and have good back up goalie in a year where it might be extra important. I'm also excited about seeing what Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov, Poehling and even Evans can do. 

There's lots to look forward to and if the season doesn't turn out well we have some players on expiring deals we can trade to bolster our rebuilding effort. 

Taylor Hall wanted to play with Eichel to boost his stats in another contract year. 

I don't see any reason to be upset. We're significantly better on paper and if it doesn't come to fruition, we have parts to move.

Where are we significantly better?! Top 6 forwards? We traded a Top 6 C who was 1 year removed from a 28 goal 72 point season and put up 44 points playing 3rd and 4th lines for a 4 point winger this year and was 1 year removed from putting up 27 goals and 47 points (his only season with more than 18 goals BTW). At Defense? Did we get a Top pairing LHD I didn't read about somewhere? No we didn't. The ONLY place we improved was the Backup goalie. Even that is only marginally. No one knows if Allen can still put up decent numbers on a defensively challenged team like the Habs. We gave up the most high danger shots last year and the Blues have been one of the best defensive teams in the league for the last 3 seasons. Allen could turn out to be an overpaid Kinkade.

41 minutes ago, habsisme said:

They probably will still not make the playoffs next year - if there is a season

15 hours ago, claremont said:

I’d agree with you on that. If we look at the prospect pool, we don’t have much 3rd line centre depth developing or even depth shudder if Suzuki or KK get hurt Or slump, so Danault is invaluable experience that can rotate to 2nd line in juggling. I’m not an Evans fan, and I personally think Poehling might be better suited to LW. The prospect pool at centre is Cam Hillis (2019) and Jan Mysak (2020) who are 2-3 years away unless I missed someone. 
Next year’s free agent is likely a scoring LW to replace or improve over Tatar. Again I look at the prospect pool and we are empty on the LW side until Tuch or Mysak (also LW conversion) mature. Byron and Lehkonen are just penalty killers and general filler for me. I still wonder if MB looks for a cheap LW for this year with Kovalchuk in his back pocket. 
As to a long term deal for Gallagher- mgmt faces a choice between he and Armia as Caufield is on the next year horizon at RW. One has to love Gallagher’s heart and leadership but two 5 ft 9 RW’s?

I'd take 4 5'9" RW's if they got the job done.

3 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Habs have signed Tyler Taffoli to a 4 year 4.25 Mil per year contract. There's our scorer. Guess I need to apologize to MB for my criticism for not signing Hall lol

Consolation prize.  I'm OK with this signing. Shows Bergy is trying & TT's a banger power forward type. Should be some interesting lineup choices. Now who's gotta go? We're over now, no?

1 minute ago, electron58 said:

Consolation prize.  I'm OK with this signing. Shows Bergy is trying & TT's a banger power forward type. Should be some interesting lineup choices. Now who's gotta go? We're over now, no?

.34 Mil over so could really be anyone. But I am guessing either Drouin or Tatar to give MB his 1-2 Mil cussion. I would prefer Drouin.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Where are we significantly better?! Top 6 forwards? We traded a Top 6 C who was 1 year removed from a 28 goal 72 point season and put up 44 points playing 3rd and 4th lines for a 4 point winger this year and was 1 year removed from putting up 27 goals and 47 points (his only season with more than 18 goals BTW). At Defense? Did we get a Top pairing LHD I didn't read about somewhere? No we didn't. The ONLY place we improved was the Backup goalie. Even that is only marginally. No one knows if Allen can still put up decent numbers on a defensively challenged team like the Habs. We gave up the most high danger shots last year and the Blues have been one of the best defensive teams in the league for the last 3 seasons. Allen could turn out to be an overpaid Kinkade.

I think we're even better now, with our top 6 forwards. Toffoli. check.

1 minute ago, campabee82 said:

.34 Mil over so could really be anyone. But I am guessing either Drouin or Tatar to give MB his 1-2 Mil cussion. I would prefer Drouin.

Me too.  He really is not Bergy's type of player.  If he would produce, then OK.  But he doesn't for what we expect from him.

• H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic