The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 State Of The Habs

I'm not too surprised to see Perry and Frolik on waivers. Maybe Perry a little bit. It felt like they were signed for just this purpose. To get on the taxi squad. Hopefully the both pass through waivers and can help us when the injury bug bites.

Edited by jennifer_rocket
46 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Disappointing to lose him. Not the end of the world, but it's always crap losing a young player. Especially one that did show some promise a few years ago.

I totally agree - I hope he gets a good fresh start in Florida but that's the business side of hockey, you cannot always keep the ones you like, and with Fleury and Mete pushing for spots, it was going to be a tough for him to crack the lineup

2 hours ago, claremont said:

I totally agree - I hope he gets a good fresh start in Florida but that's the business side of hockey, you cannot always keep the ones you like, and with Fleury and Mete pushing for spots, it was going to be a tough for him to crack the lineup

Agree although i still feel like Juulsen has a higher ceiling than Fleury. That said, its possible the medical team feels like NJ may have lasting problems, i guess you gotta go with your experts.

There's still a chance we get him back. If Florida doesnt keep him with the big club for 30 days we have an opportunity to grab him again & put him on the Taxi squad. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Agree although i still feel like Juulsen has a higher ceiling than Fleury. That said, its possible the medical team feels like NJ may have lasting problems, i guess you gotta go with your experts.

There's still a chance we get him back. If Florida doesnt keep him with the big club for 30 days we have an opportunity to grab him again & put him on the Taxi squad. 

He had a higher ceiling for sure tough to say what his future will bring now.

11 hours ago, habsisme said:

sad, but we had to waive him. 

Another first-round pick fail but in this case, it really was just injury and bad luck. I wish Juulsen well

Time created the situation. And he was robbed of a lot of it. So were the Habs. Shame. I'd like to see a rule change.

So everyone else clears.  Sucks to lose Juulsen but it could have been worse if other guys had been claimed.  As it stands, we end up with a pretty solid tax squad now (Cap is buried - up to $1.1m) players stay with & practice/train with the team. 

Our Taxi squad: Frolik, Perry, Poehling, Fleury, Lindgren

Not a bad group of reserves. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

So everyone else clears.  Sucks to lose Juulsen but it could have been worse if other guys had been claimed.  As it stands, we end up with a pretty solid tax squad now (Cap is buried - up to $1.1m) players stay with & practice/train with the team. 

Our Taxi squad: Frolik, Perry, Poehling, Fleury, Lindgren

Not a bad group of reserves. 

It was a smart timing move by the habs to risk Corey Perry clearing waivers - most of the other teams had locked their rosters up or maybe they pulled in a favour from Ottawa who had plenty of cap room, or Calgary that could have dumped a player to make room for him. Personally I would like to see Poehling challenge Evans a bit as the season progresses vs. playing in Laval but trust the coaches to make the right decision. With a plethora of back to back games, the depth on the taxi squad will be critical for the inevitable injuries that will occur. 

The centre competition Danualt Suzuki, KK, Evans will be interesting to watch as the season progresses. 

Great to see Mete stick with the team. Believe he will make it difficult to keep him from the lineup. Really expect him to have a break out year. Along with Drouin, Anderson and Suzuki. Could see Kotkaniemi and Toffoli getting off to a slow start. Hope I am wrong on that one.

Pleased to the see the outcome here. Glad we didn't lose anyone else to waivers.

Perry, Frolik, Fleury, Lindgren, and Poehling on the taxi squad makes a ton of sense to me. Burying Weal in the minors is also fine. He wasn't a great performer for Montreal last season. Happy to see Jake Evans make the team instead!

Question. Who do you think would get the call off the taxi squad first? Poehling, Perry, or Frolik?

Edited by jennifer_rocket
54 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Question. Who do you think would get the call off the taxi squad first? Poehling, Perry, or Frolik?

Depends who goes down/underperforms.  If we lose a scoring winger for example, I see Perry get first shot. If Evans falters though, its possible Poehling steps in. 

I assume that having the guys up with the big club, practicing, training, will give the team a better sense of what each player is bringing right now. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

In Games where we need some additional beef and moxy - Perry but I don't see him playing too many back to back games. I would like to see Poehling be given some degree of starts as preparation for playoff games.

27 minutes ago, claremont said:

In Games where we need some additional beef and moxy - Perry but I don't see him playing too many back to back games. I would like to see Poehling be given some degree of starts as preparation for playoff games.

Remember that in most cases its not as simple as just subbing in players from game to game from the taxi squad. Its not the press box - its basically a go-between from sending someone to the minors vs the big team - so they dont have to travel/isolate etc.  

For sure if you wanted to say, pull out a waiver-exempt player like Kotkaniemi or Suzuki then you could insert someone off the taxi squad but if the plan is to simply put in Perry for Byron, the latter would have to go through waivers. Most of the guys you'd consider pulling out to get a guy like Perry or Frolik in are waiver eligable.  The only exception in our bottom 6 is Evans so its possible you could see him come out in favour of Poehling or Perry i guess. 

The real value of the taxi squad will come when there's injuries or illness on the main roster. The fact they can take a player off the Taxi Squad as late as 5pm game day is huge.

You guys tend to overthink. There’s zero doubt the guys you mentioned will play. And quite likely a lot. Between sickness, covid, long term snd short term injuries, etc. It’s not even if, just when and how much. 

the bigger question is where do they slot in when playing. Would Poehling just be inserted in for an injured Center. Or does he slot in only lines for only similar left shot Centres when Injured? Or pop him for Any Injured centre regardless of the line and not disrupt or adjust other lines. Or would coach tinker and adjust two lines? Same with Perry? Frolik? Is Perry next up regardless of which side a missing winger plays? Or does only Frolik get the first look and slot in for any Left wing (even though it’s his off wing)

but one thing for sure they will play lots

1 hour ago, dreegking said:

You guys tend to overthink.

1 hour ago, dreegking said:

he bigger question is where do they slot in when playing. Would Poehling just be inserted in for an injured Center. Or does he slot in only lines for only similar left shot Centres when Injured? Or pop him for Any Injured centre regardless of the line and not disrupt or adjust other lines. Or would coach tinker and adjust two lines? Same with Perry? Frolik? Is Perry next up regardless of which side a missing winger plays? Or does only Frolik get the first look and slot in for any Left wing (even though it’s his off wing)

Uhm ok.  :4224:

I'm quite impressed with the starting line-up. It is going to be a long physical season for opposition forwards in front of our net and the forward lines will be as good as the two kids and Drouin make them. Hopefully Drouin has the same start as last year without the broken wrist. If Kotkoniemi and Suzuki play like they did in the playoffs this fall we should be okay. Toffoli and Anderson are the wild cards but there is no reason to believe they won't excel. Our 4th line with Byron Evans and Lehkonen looks great. All three should do great on the PK as well.  Time to drop the puck!! 

9 minutes ago, dreegking said:

:)

It was sarcasm and intentional flatulence. :)

:) It was sarcasm and intentional flatulence. :) Ha!

Also, I can't help but wonder if line four and and three get tinkered with quickly. In all practical purposes, Bergeron gave Coach the perfect lineup in many ways. But Coach quickly shook that up by playing two players on their off wing positions. I'd argue that Armia runs more hot and cold and Byron is the steadier and better player for the third line. Taking Toffili and putting him on his off left side is a gamble. He was one guy I heard next to nothing about for all of camp. Can't help but think his test on the left side might not work out. I know its about him shooting and getting easier, quicker, and more angle advantaged one timers. And that him being a Centre in the past, coupled with with K being a left shooting C, means there could be some easy one timers for him and the crossing game could work out really nicely between those two as well. But if he gets off to a slow start I see a quick change to the way I assume MB had imagined when building this team.

Toffoli will get put to his natural right wing. Armia will drop to the fourth right wing spot along with Lehtonen going to his natural left on the fourth line. While Byron will pop up to the third line to man his left wing. This is how I had the lineup pencilled in after the signings. And ultimately how I think it will end up

Now of Toffili starts hot on his weird left wing then kudos to Coach. But its all a bit weird to see Lehkonen and Toffoli play on opposite sides of where they are natural. Of course Lehkonen has played both sides in the past and he seems to have good chemistry with Byron (no one seems to talk about that). 

Given that we'll only be playing the Canadian teams during the regular season, do you guys suspect we'll see the strong coaches help their teams rise to the top? I'm not sure how much generating a specific game plan against a specific team plays a role in Julien's tactics, but... I wonder if we'll see some coaches just "figure out" some of the other Canadian teams and dominate through the regular season.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Given that we'll only be playing the Canadian teams during the regular season, do you guys suspect we'll see the strong coaches help their teams rise to the top? I'm not sure how much generating a specific game plan against a specific team plays a role in Julien's tactics, but... I wonder if we'll see some coaches just "figure out" some of the other Canadian teams and dominate through the regular season.

You mean like Detroit did to us last year? :ph34r: