Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 State Of The Habs


Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Check it out guy's we are at the moment the highest scoring team in the NHL! how do you guy's like what you have seen so far this year.

I like enough. I don’t like Lodi g yo a lovely Canucks team though.

 

the penalties need to stop. 5 a game? 6 average? It’s pathetically undisciplined. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, maas_art said:

It certainly would be awesome to finish the season with 4.25 goals per game! but its likely to come down a bit from that obviously  (fwiw we're actually behind TB and FLA who both have 5 goals per game but have only played 2 games so far). 

I think that so far we're seeing what we expected: The depth of our forward lines is going to be a huge advantage this year - although if we keep getting obscene amounts of penalties it will be less so since we're going to be playing special-teams much more often. 

LOL! so we are the highest scoring team by an even bigger margin now! it won't last but this is a lot of fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now we are the #1 team in the NHL and we have an even bigger lead in goals scored! what a start all on the road too! got to give the GM credit he went and got the players we needed to fill out the roster and the other guys are really doing a great job. hope we can keep playing well it is nice to have a real team!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. I think we need to cool jets a bit. Def a nice start. I expected it. Vancouver is not strong. Edmonton is not strong. 
 

they were good in the bubble last year too. Let’s not forget. Anderson has been good. Had a couple of very productive games. But not as consistent as I’d like shift to shift frankly. 
 

efmundson was darn weak the first four games. Playing much better now. As is Kulak. 
 

Toffoli was the worst forward on the team imo through the first three games - collectively. Now he Got hot where he seems to play well. That’s awesome.  Hopefully he keeps it up. I think so. I knew the third line would be productive - especially at home. Not many third line matchups can compete  frankly, they won’t draw defensive responsibilities. I expect them to kick butt. They should. 

allen played well. 

so nice to see a team with such depth and lines with good chemistry. 

it’s fun. But just keeping it real. 

Edited by dreegking
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

We have the 2nd worst PIMs. in the league. 

Yeah, we took a ton of penalties on that road trip. I'm hoping it was just an anomaly and it'll smooth out over time. If we keep going short-handed that much we certainly won't take 10/12 points from the next six games.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Penalties were down a bit last game. Hurray. Did the Habs actually have more power play time for than against? That would be a refreshing change. 
 

Nice to see Perry slide in seamlessly. As expected. He’s certainly able to be a plug and play guy on the third or fourth line. I do wonder if he’s considered to be that guy on lines 1 and 2 also, with no disruption to other lines. I get the feeling it is so. Eventually we will find out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dreegking said:

Penalties were down a bit last game. Hurray. Did the Habs actually have more power play time for than against? That would be a refreshing change. 
 

Nice to see Perry slide in seamlessly. As expected. He’s certainly able to be a plug and play guy on the third or fourth line. I do wonder if he’s considered to be that guy on lines 1 and 2 also, with no disruption to other lines. I get the feeling it is so. Eventually we will find out. 

I think so. I think Julien is going to switch up the lines from time to time too - so that he has options due to injuries and/or playoffs.  I think getting these mini "series" against the same team for a few games is going to make for some interesting coaching moves

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dreegking said:

Penalties were down a bit last game. Hurray. Did the Habs actually have more power play time for than against? That would be a refreshing change. 
 

Nice to see Perry slide in seamlessly. As expected. He’s certainly able to be a plug and play guy on the third or fourth line. I do wonder if he’s considered to be that guy on lines 1 and 2 also, with no disruption to other lines. I get the feeling it is so. Eventually we will find out. 

Yeah, I kind of feel like Perry will be the first man in whenever we have an injury problem. And I feel like Julien will be fine to plug him in on any line.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So rumours are PD turned down a 5yr 30M contract this summer, not sure he is worth even that much, so my thoughts are is it time to move him??  If we move him early enough it would give a new center time to gell or move him for picks and promote Evans and bring up Poehling or Perry full time??

 

Personally I am thinking move him ASAP, and get Evans into a larger role on the team.  He looks just as good as PD o the the PK with more speed.

 

Thought?

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

So rumours are PD turned down a 5yr 30M contract this summer, not sure he is worth even that much, so my thoughts are is it time to move him??  If we move him early enough it would give a new center time to gell or move him for picks and promote Evans and bring up Poehling or Perry full time??

 

Personally I am thinking move him ASAP, and get Evans into a larger role on the team.  He looks just as good as PD o the the PK with more speed.

 

Thought?

I would think that if MB is even considering PD (and im not sure he is) he would probably wait for at least 15-20 more games so that he's sure his 3 young centres can handle the duties. 

My guess is that MB still think he can sign PD.  He's young enough that he'll still be useful on a 5 ish year contract. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

So rumours are PD turned down a 5yr 30M contract this summer, not sure he is worth even that much, so my thoughts are is it time to move him??  If we move him early enough it would give a new center time to gell or move him for picks and promote Evans and bring up Poehling or Perry full time??

 

Personally I am thinking move him ASAP, and get Evans into a larger role on the team.  He looks just as good as PD o the the PK with more speed.

 

Thought?

 

53 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I would think that if MB is even considering PD (and im not sure he is) he would probably wait for at least 15-20 more games so that he's sure his 3 young centres can handle the duties. 

My guess is that MB still think he can sign PD.  He's young enough that he'll still be useful on a 5 ish year contract. 

I don't think it's even a question that MB wants to keep Danault. He's a two-way center, which Bergevin and Julien think of as being an important role. He's francophone, which is also important to Bergevin. And he's a guy who MB already reportedly offered a contract to. If you look at other players approaching free agency, MB was really late towards offering them contracts when it was clear he didn't want them here. He played hardball with PK Subban twice. He publicly announced the Habs weren't negotiating with Max Pacioretty. Despite rumors Danault wasn't happy with his role, MB hasn't moved him, and he's been tough on players not buying into the team concept before. So everything points to Bergevin kind of overlooking all those things and doing his best to keep Danaul around.

Even though Danault's camp didn't counter MB, the rumors are that he's looking for something in the range of 6-7 years for 5.3 to 6M a year and thus his ask isn't extremely far off from the rumors that the Habs were offering 5-6 years at 5M per season. I don't see MB letting him walk for that. On the other hand, MB has played hardball in negotiations before and you just never know. It's also possible Danault's asking for some kind of trade or movement protection, which you can't really afford to give him long-term. It would be a mistake for MB to allow him significant trade protection for a full 5-6 years and then be essentially locked into Danault on top of Suzuki and JK. You want to have some flexibility, especially being so tight against the cap and with the ED coming up. Maybe that's a sticking point...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm totally fine letting Danault and Tatar both walk after this season. I guess I would be slightly more inclined to resign Tatar instead of Danault. Just because I think he'll still be scoring 20 goals per season for another few years. I just don't feel like Danault is going to drive scoring over the next several years, so I see no reason to pay him like he will be driving our scoring. You might not be able to replace Danault's skillset immediately, but I think you can get a competent third line center in there while Kotkaniemi and Suzuki continue to develop into top-six roles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'm totally fine letting Danault and Tatar both walk after this season. I guess I would be slightly more inclined to resign Tatar instead of Danault. Just because I think he'll still be scoring 20 goals per season for another few years. I just don't feel like Danault is going to drive scoring over the next several years, so I see no reason to pay him like he will be driving our scoring. You might not be able to replace Danault's skillset immediately, but I think you can get a competent third line center in there while Kotkaniemi and Suzuki continue to develop into top-six roles.

While I agree that we can probably do without either (and id actually say tatar is more valuable to our roster than Danault) i'd rather not let them walk.

Ideally id trade Danault - either unsigned or sign & trade - and try to retain Tatar.  I feel like Tomas might take a hometown discount since he has to always have that vegas debacle in the back of his head. 

I think Danault wants to be paid (and i dont blame him) but i just dont think we need him as much as that anymore. Especially if Evans continues to improve and we either see progress from Poehling or a guy like Hillis or Vejdemo

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

While I agree that we can probably do without either (and id actually say tatar is more valuable to our roster than Danault) i'd rather not let them walk.

Ideally id trade Danault - either unsigned or sign & trade - and try to retain Tatar.  I feel like Tomas might take a hometown discount since he has to always have that vegas debacle in the back of his head. 

I think Danault wants to be paid (and i dont blame him) but i just dont think we need him as much as that anymore. Especially if Evans continues to improve and we either see progress from Poehling or a guy like Hillis or Vejdemo

I agree with this i Like Dano he is good not a superstar but good he is playing with very good players and putting up ok #'s now what kind of #'s would those two other players put up with Suzuki? and what would Dano do with third line players? hard to say.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, maas_art said:

While I agree that we can probably do without either (and id actually say tatar is more valuable to our roster than Danault) i'd rather not let them walk.

Ideally id trade Danault - either unsigned or sign & trade - and try to retain Tatar.  I feel like Tomas might take a hometown discount since he has to always have that vegas debacle in the back of his head. 

I think Danault wants to be paid (and i dont blame him) but i just dont think we need him as much as that anymore. Especially if Evans continues to improve and we either see progress from Poehling or a guy like Hillis or Vejdemo

I agree that Tatar has more value to the Habs than PD. Tatar keeps producing,  and works well with Gally. Hard to believe,  but we are doing well at the center ice position,  and if we can't get PD on a team friendly contract, let's flip him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else having problems concentrating on anything but the Habs right now? I'm depressed on non-game days. Every game feels like a playoff game and even OT losses feel horrible. I just don't ever remember being this excited about the start of a season. I don't think I've ever liked a team this much. There is no glaring hole in our line-up. Poise, speed, skill, and size up and down the line-up. 

I just hope for a miracle and that we're able to be in the stands come playoff time. Unlikely, but we can hope

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Is anyone else having problems concentrating on anything but the Habs right now? I'm depressed on non-game days. Every game feels like a playoff game and even OT losses feel horrible. I just don't ever remember being this excited about the start of a season. I don't think I've ever liked a team this much. There is no glaring hole in our line-up. Poise, speed, skill, and size up and down the line-up. 

I just hope for a miracle and that we're able to be in the stands come playoff time. Unlikely, but we can hope

Im not sure im thinking more about them than usual but i am also in the middle of a really busy time with my work.

I think there's a few reasons why so many ppl are so 'habs obsessed" right now though! 
-The team looks great
- Great start
- The Northern division looks winnable
- These mini-series against each team is great to get intensity and excitement up - knowing you'll be seeing the same team 2- 3 times in a row is pretty fun. 
- There's nothing else to do but watch sports!! lol.

I do hope they keep this up.  I dont think 4.7 goals per game is going to hold up over the season - but then i also dont think we're going to average letting in 2.7 goals per game either.  I think that even when things settle down a bit, we should still be very good and should push to win the division. Playoffs are going to be really interesting.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Im not sure im thinking more about them than usual but i am also in the middle of a really busy time with my work.

I think there's a few reasons why so many ppl are so 'habs obsessed" right now though! 
-The team looks great
- Great start
- The Northern division looks winnable
- These mini-series against each team is great to get intensity and excitement up - knowing you'll be seeing the same team 2- 3 times in a row is pretty fun. 
- There's nothing else to do but watch sports!! lol.

I do hope they keep this up.  I dont think 4.7 goals per game is going to hold up over the season - but then i also dont think we're going to average letting in 2.7 goals per game either.  I think that even when things settle down a bit, we should still be very good and should push to win the division. Playoffs are going to be really interesting.  

Well said, I hope (although I know they won't) they keep the North Division as well as the other Divisions. It has made for some very interesting games so far this season. I mean look at the intensity of Montreal-Toronto, I find myself watching more games in general as the rivalries build the games get intense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Im not sure im thinking more about them than usual but i am also in the middle of a really busy time with my work.

I think there's a few reasons why so many ppl are so 'habs obsessed" right now though! 
-The team looks great
- Great start
- The Northern division looks winnable
- These mini-series against each team is great to get intensity and excitement up - knowing you'll be seeing the same team 2- 3 times in a row is pretty fun. 
- There's nothing else to do but watch sports!! lol.

I do hope they keep this up.  I dont think 4.7 goals per game is going to hold up over the season - but then i also dont think we're going to average letting in 2.7 goals per game either.  I think that even when things settle down a bit, we should still be very good and should push to win the division. Playoffs are going to be really interesting.  

I agree, I'm loving the repeat opponents.  Makes me wonder why they couldn't do something like this in a regular year - not only does it cut down on travel for the players, it's more fun to boot.  I wouldn't be surprised if the reduced number of flights even saves the teams money.

I guess it's a bit harder usually because they want to schedule every team against every other team, but I still wouldn't mind seeing them incorporate something like this against divisional opponents

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually found the games against Vancouver to be a bit boring by the end. One, it doesn't help to be out of time zone, although I'm sure those of you out West loved it. And two, I found the intensity in Game 1 was higher than 2 and 3. I think it'll be better playing a longstanding rival like Toronto or Ottawa but I don't feel the same energy playing a team out West that you don't have that built-up hatred for and that you know will likely not be in your division again as of next year. I would still imagine there would be more intensity playing one game against Boston next rather than 2-3 in a row against Winnipeg or Vancouver or Edmonton, and it'll take a while for that to change.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I actually found the games against Vancouver to be a bit boring by the end. One, it doesn't help to be out of time zone, although I'm sure those of you out West loved it. And two, I found the intensity in Game 1 was higher than 2 and 3. I think it'll be better playing a longstanding rival like Toronto or Ottawa but I don't feel the same energy playing a team out West that you don't have that built-up hatred for and that you know will likely not be in your division again as of next year. I would still imagine there would be more intensity playing one game against Boston next rather than 2-3 in a row against Winnipeg or Vancouver or Edmonton, and it'll take a while for that to change.

I think the second game against Calgary will greatly intensify ...there was the 2 late goals , the pushing and shoving at the end , the Lucic crap with Anderson and a players only meeting for the Flames with the " stand -up-for-each-other "  theme speech ...teams are understanding now that they can't skate with the Habs and Calgary is already in second last place in the division and feeling the pressure ...expect the first really rough game with lots of agitation ... hopefully we don't fall into the trap that Simmonds laid out in the 1st game with Toronto and allow a momentum shift based on fights and intimidation  ...watch for Tkachuk crashing the crease multiple times .....at least we have some guys that can handle themselves now and a bigger D....Perry will be key this game 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

I think the second game against Calgary will greatly intensify ...there was the 2 late goals , the pushing and shoving at the end , the Lucic crap with Anderson and a players only meeting for the Flames with the " stand -up-for-each-other "  theme speech ...teams are understanding now that they can't skate with the Habs and Calgary is already in second last place in the division and feeling the pressure ...expect the first really rough game with lots of agitation ... hopefully we don't fall into the trap that Simmonds laid out in the 1st game with Toronto and allow a momentum shift based on fights and intimidation  ...watch for Tkachuk crashing the crease multiple times .....at least we have some guys that can handle themselves now and a bigger D....Perry will be key this game 

I agree with all of this 100% i would start Evans due to the crashing the net part and make sure to remind the boys to play heads up! there are a couple of dirty players on this team and like most caged rats they will bite!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, arpem-can said:

I think the second game against Calgary will greatly intensify ...there was the 2 late goals , the pushing and shoving at the end , the Lucic crap with Anderson and a players only meeting for the Flames with the " stand -up-for-each-other "  theme speech ...teams are understanding now that they can't skate with the Habs and Calgary is already in second last place in the division and feeling the pressure ...expect the first really rough game with lots of agitation ... hopefully we don't fall into the trap that Simmonds laid out in the 1st game with Toronto and allow a momentum shift based on fights and intimidation  ...watch for Tkachuk crashing the crease multiple times .....at least we have some guys that can handle themselves now and a bigger D....Perry will be key this game 

Maybe. But for there to be piqued interest about a rivalry, I personally need

1. A history of battles between the teams. Mtl-Tor and Mtl-Bos are based on years/deacde of the teams fighting each other and having gone through playoff series against each other and fighting for Cups. There's history between the teams that's led to players and fans disliking each other or at least having competitive fire to beat the other.

2. Legitimate fighting over meaningful games. Again, the playoff stakes make those games more intense and meaningful and lead to something to build off of. For example, how much more did we hate the Rangers after Kreider injured Price? Thus far, these games don't have the same meaning. I get that they're all intra-division and for playoff position now, but they haven't been all that close for the most part and we're still so early in the season that we don't know which games will matter. The teams out West haven't been extremely competitive thus far, so I haven't gotten that feeling yet, and I think having no fans at the games to boo and yell and heckle and cheer doesn't help.

As the year goes on, I'm sure we'll see the rivalries build and the games that are important for position will become more clear. But as of right now, I don't feel the intensity. I'm ecstatic about how well the Habs have played, but to a certain point, these games still feel a bit exhibition-y too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...