The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 State Of The Habs

H_T_L

41 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Maybe. But for there to be piqued interest about a rivalry, I personally need

I wasn't referring to a rivalry between these two teams  just a rough game given the position in the standings that Calgary is in  and their inability to keep up with Montreal's forwards ...hence , my guess that the tone of the game will be  different than any we've seen so far this season ...enter Lucic and Tkachuk to stir things up ... it will be interesting to see how well Montreal responds to this type of game  because so far no team has shown they can skate with this club's 4 lines   

2 hours ago, arpem-can said:

I wasn't referring to a rivalry between these two teams  just a rough game given the position in the standings that Calgary is in  and their inability to keep up with Montreal's forwards ...hence , my guess that the tone of the game will be  different than any we've seen so far this season ...enter Lucic and Tkachuk to stir things up ... it will be interesting to see how well Montreal responds to this type of game  because so far no team has shown they can skate with this club's 4 lines   

I think Chiarot, Edmundson, Anderson, Weber and Perry will put an end to any antics pretty quickly.

5 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I think Chiarot, Edmundson, Anderson, Weber and Perry will put an end to any antics pretty quickly.

I hope Anderson stays out of any fights with any goons. Even though we are pretty deep, losing Anderson would definitely hurt. That's why we got the big 4 on D.

4 hours ago, electron58 said:

I hope Anderson stays out of any fights with any goons. Even though we are pretty deep, losing Anderson would definitely hurt. That's why we got the big 4 on D.

Yeah I was just pointing out that we have a number of big guys to make those guys think twice about starting crap for once. So we don't have to rely on guys like Gally or Domi to step up for teammates even though they are capable losing a guy like that even for 5 minutes hurts a lot more than losing a guy like Edmundson or Chiarot

42 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Yeah I was just pointing out that we have a number of big guys to make those guys think twice about starting crap for once. So we don't have to rely on guys like Gally or Domi to step up for teammates even though they are capable losing a guy like that even for 5 minutes hurts a lot more than losing a guy like Edmundson or Chiarot

I was thinking long term.  In case of injury. Who knows how Anderson's previous injury will hold up in a fight.

7 minutes ago, electron58 said:

From Renaud Lavoie. This 5 minutes after the TSN report.

Via text message, Marc Bergevin deny that he received a trade request from Victor Mete and his agent Darren Ferris.

So, who's starting what?

maybe it was meant to stay quiet but the agent decided he wanted to put more pressure. I don't see it. What's he going to do if we don't trade him? Not take the opportunity when inevitably gets one? 

This is really pretty stupid on Mete's part. I hope MB sends a message that he won't be pushed around

Most of the team has played pretty well so far. If we're looking up and down the line-up for guys who can play above what they're giving us right now, there aren't too many:

1. The one obvious answer here is Danault. He's been okay defensively but his offensive work has been shoddy. No real creative play, and when he does get opportunity, he's not even close with his shot. His linemates (Tatar and Gallagher) are actually both playing alright in my view, so this isn't a line struggling, it's Danault just not bringing enough to the table, and this in a contract year where he's make-or-break for the biggest contract he'll sign in his entire career.

2. Price. He's played decently well, but he's still not shutdown Price the way he was a few years ago. His save percentage and GAA are not screaming top 10 goalie, the way he's being paid. So while he hasn't played poorly by any means, I think he's a guy with some room to play better and improve our team's performance by doing so.

3. Kotkaniemi. I think he's actually been one of our better forwards, so remember this isn't a list of who's been bad, it's a list of who can give us more. Kotkaniemi has put himself in position to score but he needs to do a bit better at shooting when he has openings. He's not decisive enough about trying to finish, but he's got the talent to put up 20 goals and 60 points. Combine this with Point 1 about Danault, and you have to wonder if the team would be better-served by placing JK with Gallagher and Tatar.

4. Edmundson. He's still easily the worst defenceman on this team, but he's played a lot better the past two games. I would say he even played well tonight. I don't have huge expectations for him, but given that he's shown some improvement, I'll say that he can be better than what he gave us the first 5 games.

5. Romanov. Like with Kotkaniemi, this isn't a knock on Romanov so much as a comment about the potential that's here. He's playing with confidence and his skating is strong. Tonight, he made a few rookie mistakes as well though and got caught flat-footed. He's going to get better as he recognizes when he needs to make a faster or safer play. He can and should be in our top 4 by the end of the season, so he's one of the players who can contribute to our team being better as the year goes on.

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Most of the team has played pretty well so far. If we're looking up and down the line-up for guys who can play above what they're giving us right now, there aren't too many:

1. The one obvious answer here is Danault. He's been okay defensively but his offensive work has been shoddy. No real creative play, and when he does get opportunity, he's not even close with his shot. His linemates (Tatar and Gallagher) are actually both playing alright in my view, so this isn't a line struggling, it's Danault just not bringing enough to the table, and this in a contract year where he's make-or-break for the biggest contract he'll sign in his entire career.

2. Price. He's played decently well, but he's still not shutdown Price the way he was a few years ago. His save percentage and GAA are not screaming top 10 goalie, the way he's being paid. So while he hasn't played poorly by any means, I think he's a guy with some room to play better and improve our team's performance by doing so.

3. Kotkaniemi. I think he's actually been one of our better forwards, so remember this isn't a list of who's been bad, it's a list of who can give us more. Kotkaniemi has put himself in position to score but he needs to do a bit better at shooting when he has openings. He's not decisive enough about trying to finish, but he's got the talent to put up 20 goals and 60 points. Combine this with Point 1 about Danault, and you have to wonder if the team would be better-served by placing JK with Gallagher and Tatar.

4. Edmundson. He's still easily the worst defenceman on this team, but he's played a lot better the past two games. I would say he even played well tonight. I don't have huge expectations for him, but given that he's shown some improvement, I'll say that he can be better than what he gave us the first 5 games.

5. Romanov. Like with Kotkaniemi, this isn't a knock on Romanov so much as a comment about the potential that's here. He's playing with confidence and his skating is strong. Tonight, he made a few rookie mistakes as well though and got caught flat-footed. He's going to get better as he recognizes when he needs to make a faster or safer play. He can and should be in our top 4 by the end of the season, so he's one of the players who can contribute to our team being better as the year goes on.

Good analysis.  Surprised you didn't mention Drouin. His stats are very misleading. Not sure he can give more. He's had many chances.

11 hours ago, electron58 said:

From Renaud Lavoie. This 5 minutes after the TSN report.

Via text message, Marc Bergevin deny that he received a trade request from Victor Mete and his agent Darren Ferris.

So, who's starting what?

I don't take anything that comes out of MB's mouth at face value anymore. He's probably pissed it got out and is doing some damage control so he doesn't have to deal from a position of weakness.

Scott Mellanby informed Marc Bergevin today that he’s happy with the Canadiens and that he wants to be part of the team success. That’s the reason why he won’t take any job interviews in the near future. Mellanby was rumoured to be interviewing for the GM job in Pittsburgh.

10 hours ago, electron58 said:

Scott Mellanby informed Marc Bergevin today that he’s happy with the Canadiens and that he wants to be part of the team success. That’s the reason why he won’t take any job interviews in the near future. Mellanby was rumoured to be interviewing for the GM job in Pittsburgh.

Probably has his eye on MB's job.

So Mete wants a trade or so we hear...... personally I would package Mete with PD and get them both out of town.  Evans has been sensational and can fill in nicely in PD spot on the PK and provides improved offense.    In exchange I would be looking for another Anderson type player that can make other teams accountable for the cheap shots and not hurt you offensively say Miles Wood or Lawson Crouse. 

2 hours ago, booboo_mtl said:

These "trade me right f***** now" players are kind of getting old. Roslovic, Laine, Dubois, Bennett and now Mete. I don't see MB as being the type to bend any demands or requests so I'm very surprised Mete is in the line up tonight. 

Only once source said Mete made a request.  MB denies it.  At this point its pure speculation that Mete asked for one.

On 31/01/2021 at 9:55 AM, H_T_L said:

I don't take anything that comes out of MB's mouth at face value anymore. He's probably pissed it got out and is doing some damage control so he doesn't have to deal from a position of weakness.

I'm inclined to believe this. Trying to give Bergevin the benefit of the doubt.  Although now I'm hearing that Sam Bennett denys asking for a trade. So, who is not telling the truth?

3 hours ago, booboo_mtl said:

These "trade me right f***** now" players are kind of getting old. Roslovic, Laine, Dubois, Bennett and now Mete. I don't see MB as being the type to bend any demands or requests so I'm very surprised Mete is in the line up tonight. 

Although Rolslovic, Laine & Bennett have wanted to be moved for over a year.

• H_T_L locked this topic