The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 State Of The Habs

H_T_L

It's amazing how dominant our so-called fourth line has been playing in this round. The Jets really seem to have no idea how to contain them, which admittedly isn't easy at all. Really fun to watch though, let's hope they can keept this up. Going by this year's playoffs alone, Perry has to be one of MB's best acquisitions ever.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

It's amazing how dominant our so-called fourth line has been playing in this round. The Jets really seem to have no idea how to contain them, which admittedly isn't easy at all. Really fun to watch though, let's hope they can keept this up. Going by this year's playoffs alone, Perry has to be one of MB's best acquisitions ever.

They're not too great in the defensive zone but haven't been costing us anything substantial. Their puck possession and cycling in the offensive zone is a major surprise. 

5 hours ago, ChiLla said:

The move to put Armia on that line was a stroke of luck or genius or both. Its completed that line in a way I never thought it could because Armia gives the other 2 guys time and space which is exactly what they need at this stage. They are both supremely skilled players they are just long in the tooth so giving them that extra step or two that Armia's board work can do is just the ticket.

I will eat a whole big bowl of crow on Staal whom I was wanting to bench but has proven to be a huge asset so far. 

4 hours ago, claremont said:

They're not too great in the defensive zone but haven't been costing us anything substantial. Their puck possession and cycling in the offensive zone is a major surprise. 

Thankfully we've been good at boxing out the defensive zone but i agree a few times theyve been caught against the jets' faster players and it has been a bit hairy. 

12 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The move to put Armia on that line was a stroke of luck or genius or both. Its completed that line in a way I never thought it could because Armia gives the other 2 guys time and space which is exactly what they need at this stage. They are both supremely skilled players they are just long in the tooth so giving them that extra step or two that Armia's board work can do is just the ticket.

I will eat a whole big bowl of crow on Staal whom I was wanting to bench but has proven to be a huge asset so far. 

Thankfully we've been good at boxing out the defensive zone but i agree a few times theyve been caught against the jets' faster players and it has been a bit hairy. 

I can't seem to shake the feeling our "4th line" will form a line for the leafs next season. Dubas is salivating watching these guys 

22 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

I can't seem to shake the feeling our "4th line" will form a line for the leafs next season. Dubas is salivating watching these guys 

If we somehow manage to win a cup, id bet dollars for donuts Perry and Staal retire ;) 

I would seriously consider resigning Armia, depending on the value of course.  But I would look at freeing up the extra cap to make it happen, if that means moving Leks and/or Byron so be it, he has been much more valuable IMO

1 minute ago, 26NCounting said:

I would seriously consider resigning Armia, depending on the value of course.  But I would look at freeing up the extra cap to make it happen, if that means moving Leks and/or Byron so be it, he has been much more valuable IMO

We have 3 key UFA:  Armia, Danault, Tatar

And 2 key RFA:  Lehks and JK

- I would assume that Tatar will not be resigned since he's been a healthy scratch for the most important games of the season. 

- Armia I think will be resigned but i guess $$ is the big key. 

- Danault is the real mystery. He still has many good years left but his offense seems to have dried up - will we resign him to be a 3rd line centre and will he accept that?

- JK is the no brainer, you sign him, most likely to a bridge deal

- Lehks is probably the 'bubble' guy - you sign him if you can but if you cant... well you cant resign everyone.

Guys like Staal and Perry (if they dont retire) maybe get another look but catching lightning in the bottle twice seems unlikely

6 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

its hard to say, it depends on what he wants

its unlikely that we are re-signing Tatar, so that should leave us plenty to re-sign the rest of our guys, now it just dpends if there is better value in free agency or if they're asking for too much. I suspect the value of contracts to be lower, as they were last year

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

We have 3 key UFA:  Armia, Danault, Tatar

And 2 key RFA:  Lehks and JK
- I would assume that Tatar will not be resigned since he's been a healthy scratch for the most important games of the season. 

- Armia I think will be resigned but i guess $$ is the big key. 

- Danault is the real mystery. He still has many good years left but his offense seems to have dried up - will we resign him to be a 3rd line centre and will he accept that?

- JK is the no brainer, you sign him, most likely to a bridge deal

- Lehks is probably the 'bubble' guy - you sign him if you can but if you cant... well you cant resign everyone.
Guys like Staal and Perry (if they dont retire) maybe get another look but catching lightning in the bottle twice seems unlikely

I would agree with most of that - I don't see us signing Staal. This has to be his last hurrah as he will be 37 in October, seriously lacks foot speed now and would get overwhelmed in the next regular season such that he would not be confidence inspiring. He would be taking up space for Poehling / Evans. I would have to think there are better centres out there in trade or F/A that can fill this void. 3rd line centre is a big void if Danault does not accept that role or our offer. 

Armia as a 12 g, 30 point winger - don't know how much term he wants but sizeable wingers with a half decent shot are tough to find. This may depend on whether MB can tempt the Krakken to take Byron rather than Allen in the expansion draft.  Anderson, Gallagher, Caufield would seem to have slots 1-3 filled up at RW. Perry if he returns is a 4th line RW, and Ylonen - I don't think he cracks the lineup next year. Armia would seem to slot at 4th line RW with Evans if Jake loses the centre spot to Poehling OR Ryan moves to LW. There's also the Drouin dependency / recovery. Armia can play LW. Toffoli has the #1 LW (his off wing locked up). So depending on Drouin, we need more strength and speed at LW beyond Byron/Lehks. Armia would be a good depth signing but we need more out of LW beyond Toffoli, Drouin (?), Lehks. I hope MB can spend or trade for something more on the LW. If we believe Evans wins the 4th centre spot, then Poehling moves to LW which could mean similarity with Armia style. A lot of moving analysis parts here, and Lehks and Armia are both bubble guys.  

1 hour ago, claremont said:

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/06/sean-farrell-named-ushl-player-of-the-year.html

A smallish LW - 5ft 9 but more of a playmaker and not Caufield Deux. I have never viewed this league as a strong developmental league but it's encouraging. Off to Harvard for him next year to continue his progression. For a 4th round pick, that's a strong achievement. 

Yeah tough to tell how he'll fare but some intriguing skills to be sure. 

I still think 2nd - 4th round picks are some of Timmins' best. 

Damn - we messed up our draft position - everyone had us picking 17th overall especially Craig Button and another poster on this forum, but now we are going to pick anywhere from #28 to #32. The good news is that it is a lot easier to move up and target a player that you like in position #17-28 without having to give up much. If we wanted to move up from #17 to a top 12 pick, you need to really give up more picks or a roster player / prospect. 

Wow! Incredible performance by a group of guys we all had concerns about over the season! 

Our top four dmen despite all out criticisms were great!!! Our so called senior citizens including Stahl brought their experience to the dressing room and the ice. I am still in somewhat of a shocked state in regards to what just took place. For this group of guys to win seven in a row after watching them trip over the blueline and stumble into the playoffs is amazing. Every member of this team deserves a great deal of credit for reaching deep and making believers out of all of us. It has been said many times that the North division is the weakest link in the NHL this season and the winner has no chance of getting past the semis. Six weeks ago I would agree but if this team can continue with this type of determination and resilience the Habs could be a contender. They have not faced any of the teams in the US so there is no current detail to strengths and weaknesses in the match-ups but I have been watching the games and they will be a handful no matter whether it is Vegas or Colorado.

Hats off to a great effort by the Habs who have won the North Divsion and made it to the final four. They can use the rest and then focus on the next series. There are a number of us who are eating crow right now and I am one of them. I have been a fan for 74 years and have never been as vocal about the team as I have this year. Not enjoying the crow but I am elated about the performance of the Canadiens in eliminating the billionaires in TO and the high flying Jets in four. Eliminating the Leafs to me is the same as winning the Stanley Cup. They are the most highly over rated team in the league which is created by the writers, press and supported by the fact that four guys make up 50% of their cap. 

Great effort and as a fan I am elated but somewhat mystified in regards to their performance so far in the playoffs. Let's keep the faith and cheer them on to the finals.

GO HABS GO!!!!:5187:

6 minutes ago, richard464 said:

Wow! Incredible performance by a group of guys we all had concerns about over the season! 

Our top four dmen despite all out criticisms were great!!! Our so called senior citizens including Stahl brought their experience to the dressing room and the ice. I am still in somewhat of a shocked state in regards to what just took place. For this group of guys to win seven in a row after watching them trip over the blueline and stumble into the playoffs is amazing. Every member of this team deserves a great deal of credit for reaching deep and making believers out of all of us. It has been said many times that the North division is the weakest link in the NHL this season and the winner has no chance of getting past the semis. Six weeks ago I would agree but if this team can continue with this type of determination and resilience the Habs could be a contender. They have not faced any of the teams in the US so there is no current detail to strengths and weaknesses in the match-ups but I have been watching the games and they will be a handful no matter whether it is Vegas or Colorado.

Hats off to a great effort by the Habs who have won the North Divsion and made it to the final four. They can use the rest and then focus on the next series. There are a number of us who are eating crow right now and I am one of them. I have been a fan for 74 years and have never been as vocal about the team as I have this year. Not enjoying the crow but I am elated about the performance of the Canadiens in eliminating the billionaires in TO and the high flying Jets in four. Eliminating the Leafs to me is the same as winning the Stanley Cup. They are the most highly over rated team in the league which is created by the writers, press and supported by the fact that four guys make up 50% of their cap. 

Great effort and as a fan I am elated but somewhat mystified in regards to their performance so far in the playoffs. Let's keep the faith and cheer them on to the finals.

I agree with this well said! Also Minnesota took Vegas to 7 games so I believe it's possible!

2 hours ago, richard464 said:

I couldn't have said it better, (well except for the 74 years part). 

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Great effort and as a fan I am elated but somewhat mystified in regards to their performance so far in the playoffs. Let's keep the faith and cheer them on to the finals

Like you I've a Hab fan since I was a kid and I'm 74 now . The one thing I'm seeing most of all is this is a team with chemistry who grind it out together and who like each other despite the absence  of "superstar quality " ( Price not included ) . I too was critical of Staal during the regular season so a portion of crow is also on the menu . Otherwise I've been supportive  of the contributing acquisitions accomplished without selling the farm down the river . Bergevin is due some credit for assembling quality players with Stanley Cup rings who are familiar with the grind .Of course , it was extremely gratifying to have eliminated the Leafs .  . This has been quite the turnaround for a team that literally limped into the play-offs . Being healthy with a focussed Price has made the whole difference . I continue to hope the so-called pundits will make them underdogs in all the remaining series they play . Their servings of the bird have been much much larger than ours could ever be at this point 

2 hours ago, arpem-can said:

Like you I've a Hab fan since I was a kid and I'm 74 now . The one thing I'm seeing most of all is this is a team with chemistry who grind it out together and who like each other despite the absence  of "superstar quality " ( Price not included ) . I too was critical of Staal during the regular season so a portion of crow is also on the menu . Otherwise I've been supportive  of the contributing acquisitions accomplished without selling the farm down the river . Bergevin is due some credit for assembling quality players with Stanley Cup rings who are familiar with the grind .Of course , it was extremely gratifying to have eliminated the Leafs .  . This has been quite the turnaround for a team that literally limped into the play-offs . Being healthy with a focussed Price has made the whole difference . I continue to hope the so-called pundits will make them underdogs in all the remaining series they play . Their servings of the bird have been much much larger than ours could ever be at this point 

one of the things going for us is that we have Past-prime superstars (Weber, Perry and Staal were all top 5 players in the league at one time) but we also have guys who have the potential to be superstars (CC, Suzuki and possibly JK) so you never know who will have a huge shift/period/game.   Its a very interesting situation especially when you throw in quality players in their prime like Toffoli, Gallagher, Petry and a good supporting cast. 

No reason we cannot go all the way if Price can keep it together. The rest will do him and many others a lot of good, unlike it did for Winnipeg. 
Wiping that silly smile off of Mathews face from when they were up 3-1, is enough to keep me happy for quite awhile.

Someone mentioned they did not have a lot of years left to get a cup. So being in the same boat , why not now. 

20 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Wiping that silly smile off of Mathews face from when they were up 3-1, is enough to keep me happy for quite awhile

honestly besides the Matthews rag doll this-is-fun smile the one I remember as well  is Marner's little wink  ...which is now more of a blink 

The roster has outperformed itself in this playoffs, against all odds and expectations.  No shame taking a bow at this stage; it was always inevitable at the semi-finals/Conference Finals.  Can't get over the hump.

30 minutes ago, PuckPundit said:

The roster has outperformed itself in this playoffs, against all odds and expectations.  No shame taking a bow at this stage; it was always inevitable at the semi-finals/Conference Finals.  Can't get over the hump.

See the source image

SOooooo, does this mean MB is smarter than all of us fans for the moves and signings he made or is this just a stroke of pure luck to get this far???? 

Personally I side on the stroke of pure luck, who would have ever thought that Staal would play this well....  regardless that red suit of MB's has just got to go you couldn't pay me enough to wear that :)

• H_T_L locked this topic