The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 State Of The Habs

H_T_L

8 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

SOooooo, does this mean MB is smarter than all of us fans for the moves and signings he made or is this just a stroke of pure luck to get this far???? 

Personally I side on the stroke of pure luck, who would have ever thought that Staal would play this well....  regardless that red suit of MB's has just got to go you couldn't pay me enough to wear that :)

I'm an MB defender so I'm gonna go with he's smarter than us

I've been thinking about Drouin today, I wonder what's going on. Imagine if we had him as an option as well

8 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

SOooooo, does this mean MB is smarter than all of us fans for the moves and signings he made or is this just a stroke of pure luck to get this far???? 

Personally I side on the stroke of pure luck, who would have ever thought that Staal would play this well....  regardless that red suit of MB's has just got to go you couldn't pay me enough to wear that :)

Personally i think the answer is somewhere in the middle.

The team hasnt just fluked into wins with bounces or luck - this team was built to play this way and they are doing very well right now but the luck is that nearly everyone is playing to their potential to right now & we've been mostly pretty healthy.  We're missing Drouin, Evans, Merrill and possibly Petry. 

3 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I'm an MB defender so I'm gonna go with he's smarter than us

I've been thinking about Drouin today, I wonder what's going on. Imagine if we had him as an option as well

You have to wonder if we make it to the SCF if they will dress him just for one game.  That said, i think the rule is 41 games and/or 1 playoff game so he should be ok either way if we were to win (he played 44 i believe)

4 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

MB has made a number of decent trades that have helped us get to where we are... Petry, Suzuki/Tatar, Allen, Anderson. And the Toffoli and Perry signings have worked out really well to date. We still haven't seen him make a huge splash in free agency (for better or for worse), we still haven't seen him have anything fantastic to show for his drafting, the organization's development was piss-poor under Lefebvre, and he hasn't found elite talent at center yet nor has he addressed the hole at LHD. So in many ways, I think he hasn't really built a team that was primed for success. As I said elsewhere, it wasn't a fluke that the Habs have won two series, but they needed things to go right and the stars have really aligned thus far: Tavares going out, Scheifele getting suspended, role players stepping up, good players coming through in the clutch, etc. And most of all, Carey has found his form from a few years ago, which is THE main difference from the regular season to the playoffs. Carey is playing .935 to .940 save percentage hockey. In the regular season the past couple of years, he's been floating in the .900 to .910 range. That's a huge difference when you look at how many 1-goal games we've won so far this post-season. We could have very easily gone out in Game 5 of round 1 and then no one is calling this season a success. So there's a certain amount of luck that went into our run thus far and most of all, I don't think anyone including Bergevin would have bet their life savings on Carey playing light's out and getting us to where we've gotten.

A few comments on the guys Bergevin has brought in:

- Edmundson and Chiarot have both really excelled in this playoffs and I'll give Bergevin credit for believing in them because I sure did not. I still don't believe they're the best type of D man to build your entire line-up around and I think we've done better in games where we have 3 puck-moving D men (Gus has been very strong when he's played, Romanov had a 100% Corsi in his first game out, etc.) but overall those two D men have surpassed expectations.

- Weber IMO has been average. He was strong last game and he hasn't been an outright liability, but man is it frustrating to watch him with the puck in his own zone. He's extremely slow at making decisions and he's made some bad decisions in that regard. Again, he's playing bigger minutes than I thought he'd be capable of and he's been fine but not outstanding. I think he's legitimately been outplayed by most of the rest of our D corps, other than Kulak and Merrill, but all in all, I don't feel like he's been a big catalyst to our success.

- Perry has been gold. Gets to the net, has sweet hands, takes punishment and just keeps trucking. He's been a playoff warrior.

- Staal was also strong in round 1 and his line was good against Winnipeg too, although he himself looked like he was starting to wear down later in the series. I think he can be a contributor but again, I think we need to limit our expectations of how regular he can be as he tries to endure the playoffs.

- Gustafsson has pleasantly surprised with how stellar he's been and how much of a boon he's been to the PP.

- Merrill... utter disappointment. Easily our worst player on a regular basis and having him out has made us a better team.

- Toffoli... struggled early against Toronto but has become a consistent scorer again since. Well worth his contract.

- Anderson... brings something to the table we didn't have and is an upgrade on Domi, but he's looked lost most of the playoffs, doing a lot of nice skating and hitting but without much hockey sense and without scoring. He's starting to look more like Benoit Pouliot and I think he needs more help with a puck carrier like Drouin on his line to keep him going.

All in all, I think MB has built an average roster. They're good enough to beat good teams but they're not a top 10 roster in the league and they've essentially had everything go right for them this playoffs and this is where we are. If Price goes back to being a .910 goalie, we're done. If one of Chiarot or Edmundson stops excelling, especially in Petry's absence, we're in trouble. If Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, and Caufield aren't being used regularly, there's not enough left to carry the offence. IMO, MB did enough to build a playoff team, but his plan from there was always "hope Carey carries us and everything goes right and then anything can happen." So far it's worked out, but it's not a great recipe for building a winner.

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

All in all, I think MB has built an average roster. They're good enough to beat good teams but they're not a top 10 roster in the league and they've essentially had everything go right for them this playoffs and this is where we are. If Price goes back to being a .910 goalie, we're done. If one of Chiarot or Edmundson stops excelling, especially in Petry's absence, we're in trouble. If Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, and Caufield aren't being used regularly, there's not enough left to carry the offence. IMO, MB did enough to build a playoff team, but his plan from there was always "hope Carey carries us and everything goes right and then anything can happen." So far it's worked out, but it's not a great recipe for building a winner.

Reasonable reflections however I would add some additional comments on the guys that got us here that are considerations for next year's roster. Danault has risen up to the shutdown centre role that is not really required in regular season mode unless you are really fighting for points. That's a lot of cap money to pay for a playoff performer but regular season mediocrity.  Gallagher has been average so far (perhaps lingering hand injury) in the playoffs. Evans was playing solid up until his injury. Lehkonen has picked up his game. Drouin who knows if he will rediscover his form. Kulak has been so-so. I am excited if we are able to keep Allen, and whack perhaps Byron to the Krakken.  When I add those players into your analysis, next year's roster at this point beyond Caufield does indeed project to be average. 

FWIW, SN has a 1/2 hour condensed Habs/laffs game highlites at 8 PM est., and at 8:30 highlites of the Habs /jets series. 

7 hours ago, claremont said:

Reasonable reflections however I would add some additional comments on the guys that got us here that are considerations for next year's roster. Danault has risen up to the shutdown centre role that is not really required in regular season mode unless you are really fighting for points. That's a lot of cap money to pay for a playoff performer but regular season mediocrity.  Gallagher has been average so far (perhaps lingering hand injury) in the playoffs. Evans was playing solid up until his injury. Lehkonen has picked up his game. Drouin who knows if he will rediscover his form. Kulak has been so-so. I am excited if we are able to keep Allen, and whack perhaps Byron to the Krakken.  When I add those players into your analysis, next year's roster at this point beyond Caufield does indeed project to be average. 

I think we can assume that if they're all here, guys like Price, Weber, Petry, Gallagher, Tatar, Toffoli, and Danault are giving us what they're giving us. Ditto for Drouin, Chiarot, Edmundson, Kulak, and even the likes of Anderson, Armia, Lehkonen. Yes many have played to their maximum potential in this post-season but I think who they are now is largely who they will be. I don't think any of those guys are suddenly going to jump to the next level and fill a role larger than what they're doing at present.

So if we're looking for what will make our roster better next year than it was this year, it comes down to just a handful of guys:

- Suzuki and Kotkaniemi continuing to progress, and this is really the biggest thing that will dictate where this team goes. They're on the verge of being true top 6 centers but they need to put things together a little more. Can Suzuki carry a team? Can Kotkaniemi be more consistent?

- Romanov... we still have a lot of depth D men on the left side. Again, pleasantly surprised by Chiarot and Edmundson in the post-season but they're not providing offence and they don't move the puck all that well and they still need to be supported to play well for long stretches. Romanov is the one young D man who's already here and who can have an impact next year. Yes, there are others coming but it's probably a couple of years before Norlinder, Guhle, Harris, etc. make an impact. Could Brook make a jump? Maybe. Is Fleury still in the picture? Don't know, and even if he is, I doubt he's a top 4 presence. The Habs need to find a guy or two who can play the top 4 and who are under the age of 28. Maybe they trade for a Dumba or a Jones or so on, but they need to do something. Otherwise there's a lot riding on Romanov taking a huge step.

- Caufield... I think it's safe to say he'll make next year's team and he's the one guy who wasn't around this regular season who can make us significantly better as an add.

- Ylonen would be the other potential rookie next year who can have an impact but I expect he's more of a middle 6 winger to start and not a 25-goal man off the bat. I've said many times that I really like him and that he's under-valued in many prospect lists, but like Romanov this year, there's a limit on what most newbies do in their first full season.

- Lastly, Poehling is a question mark and Evans is a question as well in terms of what his NHL ceiling is. I don't have high hopes either moves the bar in terms of our top-end but they could add value to the line-up over this year's team.

So largely, I think we have a collection of good young centers and wingers who can all be around for at least a few years. The big question up front is whether we have anyone who becomes elite. Right now, we do not. On the back end, there is a higher likelihood we get worse before the relief comes in a few years, and in goal, it's been a question as to how consistent Carey can be. Right now, he's carrying the team, but can he really do it for 60 games as a true #1? He hasn't shown he can lately and Waite brought up that he has a lot of chronic wear and tear. Allen likely goes to Seattle in the ED as it stands now, and so is Primeau ready to shoulder more of a load? This post-season has been a surprise to me, and I don't think we're in a great spot to come out of our division next year, especially with who will be in it. But we could be set up nicely to have a strong roster in 3 or 4 years, as long as MB doesn't allow assets to depreciate and builds his young core going out.

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/habs-owner-sends-jets-fan-new-jersey-after-alleged-attack-in-montreal-after-game-4-1.5464676

Habs owner sends Jets fan new jersey after alleged attack in Montreal after Game 4

Unfortunately they're are asses on every team fan base. I recall being at a game in Buffalo surrounded by Sabre fans with me being the only one wearing Hab colours in that section. The Sabres scored late in the 3rd to take a lead and everyone went nuts with a bunch of them giving me and my wife the gears. I diffused the situation by standing up with them and congratulating them on the goal with a few of them asking to high five them,,, of which i accommodated them. The game eventually was tied and went to OT.  We ended up winning it and as they were leaving i called over to them and they turned around. I held my hand up looking for a high five. They laughed about it, but they did come back to do it. My wife thought i was nuts but because i was decent to them earlier they were decent to me in return.  Moral is,,, you can't act like a jerk in the enemy's house.

Good on Molson trying to right a wrong. He should have offered him a ticket to the next game rather then the cap though.

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/habs-owner-sends-jets-fan-new-jersey-after-alleged-attack-in-montreal-after-game-4-1.5464676

Habs owner sends Jets fan new jersey after alleged attack in Montreal after Game 4

that's embarassing! I love hating on rivals and the other team, all the banter in the world, but when the game is over that's when you get a beer together. I hope they find the guys that did this and not only are they arrested they're never allowed in the arena again

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

that's embarassing! I love hating on rivals and the other team, all the banter in the world, but when the game is over that's when you get a beer together. I hope they find the guys that did this and not only are they arrested they're never allowed in the arena again

No guarantee they were in the arena at all. Probably having a few pops in the area and looking for trouble. Anybody that could afford tickets probably took a limo home.:lol:

41 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

No guarantee they were in the arena at all. Probably having a few pops in the area and looking for trouble. Anybody that could afford tickets probably took a limo home.:lol:

lol yeah that's true!

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

I don't know if that's true. The crowd seemed too boisterous to have been made up of rich people. They usually go to the games just to be seen there. 

On 6/10/2021 at 7:09 PM, habsisme said:

I agree! Pretty classy move on behalf of Molson.

I will say also and this goes to all sports fans everywhere. When we win party and enjoy , but no fires no breaking anything!!! A winning or losing team in any sport anywhere doesn't give any fans the right to damage anything!    Party absolutely but no Rioting!!!

27 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I will say also and this goes to all sports fans everywhere. When we win party and enjoy , but no fires no breaking anything!!! A winning or losing team in any sport anywhere doesn't give any fans the right to damage anything!    Party absolutely but no Rioting!!!

yes , agreed !!

23 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

100% - When I exited the forum in 93 after we won the cup against LA, I could tell that there were a lot of hooligans that weren’t true fans just looking for distractions to loot. The number of “magasins” that had their windows smashed for liquor or other consumables was deplorable. I certainly hope that if that happens the fans behave and there is a large police presence for punishment 

5 minutes ago, claremont said:

100% - When I exited the forum in 93 after we won the cup against LA, I could tell that there were a lot of hooligans that weren’t true fans just looking for distractions to loot. The number of “magasins” that had their windows smashed for liquor or other consumables was deplorable. I certainly hope that if that happens the fans behave and there is a large police presence for punishment 

You had me when you said you exited the Forum after we won the CUP!!!! 

34 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

You had me when you said you exited the Forum after we won the CUP!!!! 

One of my best memories when Gretzky handed his stick to Demers - that 93 team had character. The walk back to my hotel thru the crowd was a little nuts but the train ride home the next day was fabulous 

• H_T_L locked this topic