The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 If I Were GM

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

As I said in another thread, I would do whatever it takes to get Drouin off the books.  Wether that is a trade, waiver or holding him until the ED.  He is a liability more than an asset.

Drouin has had a # of injuries and from that trade was appointed as a saviour/ leader. I wouldn’t sell him low at all yet- he deserves further chances in this coming season to be a strong support team member. The pressure has shifted from him to Anderson, Toffoli and Edmundson. Surround Jude with some better line mates and let’s see how he skates and scores. From watching him in shootouts he’s got an awesome set of mitts. Is he overpaid vs the cap-  so far absolutely but that’s not his fault or cause enough to hate him. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I actually think they might try playing with a 20-21 man roster for a bit & see what happens. We are currently *just* under (by about $300k) but only have 21 players on the roster.
By waiving Weal (either he gets picked up or you bury most of his contract in the minors, you can bring up Evans and either Poehling or Juulsen.  that gives you 22 players on the roster & you're right around the cap. 

The most burdensome contract we have, honestly, is Byrons.  $3.4m for a guy who is going to be something like our 11th - 13th forward. Unfortunately I dont see him as tradable.   At some point we might have to make a tough decision to send him (or a similar player) to the minors to bring up cheaper replacements. 

I could see a 22 man roster 13 fwds 7 d, 2 g - extra d as I forsee a schedule with more back to back games with rest or therapy days for Weber and Petry. If we go 23 man roster it’s probably 8 d-men. 
I can see Weal clearing Waivers easily and if he’s claimed no big loss, but there’s probably a training camp battle between him, Evans and Poehling.
On Byron he has value on the PK and actually he’s pretty good on shootouts with his speed. He’s had two injury filled seasons and if you look at his stats he’s capable of being a 20 goal scorer with a full schedule. is he somewhat overpaid- yes by about a $million. Look at Armia’s stats by comparison to Byron and you “cap managers” should start slapping Armia around just as much as Byron. I wouldn’t sell Byron low as I bet he’s valuable with Lehkonen, and worth the risk of playing most of this upcoming season before throwing him under the bus right now. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, claremont said:

Drouin has had a # of injuries and from that trade was appointed as a saviour/ leader. I wouldn’t sell him low at all yet- he deserves further chances in this coming season to be a strong support team member. The pressure has shifted from him to Anderson, Toffoli and Edmundson. Surround Jude with some better line mates and let’s see how he skates and scores. From watching him in shootouts he’s got an awesome set of mitts. Is he overpaid vs the cap-  so far absolutely but that’s not his fault or cause enough to hate him. 

I could see a 22 man roster 13 fwds 7 d, 2 g - extra d as I forsee a schedule with more back to back games with rest or therapy days for Weber and Petry. If we go 23 man roster it’s probably 8 d-men. 
I can see Weal clearing Waivers easily and if he’s claimed no big loss, but there’s probably a training camp battle between him, Evans and Poehling.
On Byron he has value on the PK and actually he’s pretty good on shootouts with his speed. He’s had two injury filled seasons and if you look at his stats he’s capable of being a 20 goal scorer with a full schedule. is he somewhat overpaid- yes by about a $million. Look at Armia’s stats by comparison to Byron and you “cap managers” should start slapping Armia around just as much as Byron. I wouldn’t sell Byron low as I bet he’s valuable with Lehkonen, and worth the risk of playing most of this upcoming season before throwing him under the bus right now. 

I agree completely. There’s a shift coming for this team. Kot will get a lot of offensive zone face offs this year. 

Byron earns every inch of his salary as a good scorer on a third line with solid penalty killing contributions. He and Danualt will be linemates this year. I bet. The question is who will ride the other side with them? I’m actually guessing it’s Anderson. Who will see neutral zone and defensive zone face offs on this line. Along with power play minutes for himself. 

which means Lehkonen and Armia are going to kick but riding big fourth line minutes with Peoling or Evans at Centre  these guys will get 12 minutes a game maybe more in a penalty filled game against  as they will be second unit penalty killers I’m guessing  

• 2 months later...