The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 If I Were GM

H_T_L

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

As I said in another thread, I would do whatever it takes to get Drouin off the books.  Wether that is a trade, waiver or holding him until the ED.  He is a liability more than an asset.

Drouin has had a # of injuries and from that trade was appointed as a saviour/ leader. I wouldn’t sell him low at all yet- he deserves further chances in this coming season to be a strong support team member. The pressure has shifted from him to Anderson, Toffoli and Edmundson. Surround Jude with some better line mates and let’s see how he skates and scores. From watching him in shootouts he’s got an awesome set of mitts. Is he overpaid vs the cap-  so far absolutely but that’s not his fault or cause enough to hate him. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I actually think they might try playing with a 20-21 man roster for a bit & see what happens. We are currently *just* under (by about $300k) but only have 21 players on the roster.
By waiving Weal (either he gets picked up or you bury most of his contract in the minors, you can bring up Evans and either Poehling or Juulsen.  that gives you 22 players on the roster & you're right around the cap. 

The most burdensome contract we have, honestly, is Byrons.  $3.4m for a guy who is going to be something like our 11th - 13th forward. Unfortunately I dont see him as tradable.   At some point we might have to make a tough decision to send him (or a similar player) to the minors to bring up cheaper replacements. 

I could see a 22 man roster 13 fwds 7 d, 2 g - extra d as I forsee a schedule with more back to back games with rest or therapy days for Weber and Petry. If we go 23 man roster it’s probably 8 d-men. 
I can see Weal clearing Waivers easily and if he’s claimed no big loss, but there’s probably a training camp battle between him, Evans and Poehling.
On Byron he has value on the PK and actually he’s pretty good on shootouts with his speed. He’s had two injury filled seasons and if you look at his stats he’s capable of being a 20 goal scorer with a full schedule. is he somewhat overpaid- yes by about a $million. Look at Armia’s stats by comparison to Byron and you “cap managers” should start slapping Armia around just as much as Byron. I wouldn’t sell Byron low as I bet he’s valuable with Lehkonen, and worth the risk of playing most of this upcoming season before throwing him under the bus right now. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, claremont said:

Drouin has had a # of injuries and from that trade was appointed as a saviour/ leader. I wouldn’t sell him low at all yet- he deserves further chances in this coming season to be a strong support team member. The pressure has shifted from him to Anderson, Toffoli and Edmundson. Surround Jude with some better line mates and let’s see how he skates and scores. From watching him in shootouts he’s got an awesome set of mitts. Is he overpaid vs the cap-  so far absolutely but that’s not his fault or cause enough to hate him. 

I could see a 22 man roster 13 fwds 7 d, 2 g - extra d as I forsee a schedule with more back to back games with rest or therapy days for Weber and Petry. If we go 23 man roster it’s probably 8 d-men. 
I can see Weal clearing Waivers easily and if he’s claimed no big loss, but there’s probably a training camp battle between him, Evans and Poehling.
On Byron he has value on the PK and actually he’s pretty good on shootouts with his speed. He’s had two injury filled seasons and if you look at his stats he’s capable of being a 20 goal scorer with a full schedule. is he somewhat overpaid- yes by about a $million. Look at Armia’s stats by comparison to Byron and you “cap managers” should start slapping Armia around just as much as Byron. I wouldn’t sell Byron low as I bet he’s valuable with Lehkonen, and worth the risk of playing most of this upcoming season before throwing him under the bus right now. 

I agree completely. There’s a shift coming for this team. Kot will get a lot of offensive zone face offs this year. 

Byron earns every inch of his salary as a good scorer on a third line with solid penalty killing contributions. He and Danualt will be linemates this year. I bet. The question is who will ride the other side with them? I’m actually guessing it’s Anderson. Who will see neutral zone and defensive zone face offs on this line. Along with power play minutes for himself. 

which means Lehkonen and Armia are going to kick but riding big fourth line minutes with Peoling or Evans at Centre  these guys will get 12 minutes a game maybe more in a penalty filled game against  as they will be second unit penalty killers I’m guessing  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, Windoe said:

Would you trade:

Suzuki + Drouin + 2021 1st + Guhle

for

Eichel (5 years remaining on his 10m/season cap hit)

Sure would be fun to see Eichel paired with Caufield

I have discussed this as well with friends, not Suzuki.

But, certainly KK+Droiun+First and any other deeman excluding Guhle, Romanov and Norlinder

19 minutes ago, Windoe said:

Would you trade:

for

Thats a tough one. 

Eichel is an elite, PPG player but he's going to be 25 later this year.   Suzuki probably will never reach his offensive totals (especially not if they had the same linemates/assignments etc) but Slick Nick is a very underrated defensive player. I can see him being a 75-80 point 2 way player... thats tough to lose. You're then adding our 1st round pick and our most recent 1st round pick and a valuable middle six winger... 

Id do Guhle + 1st + Drouin +  ________  But i think that _______ would have to be someone other than Suzuki, DD, Romanov, Norlinder or JK.   Anyone else, id do it. 

57 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Thats a tough one. 

Eichel is an elite, PPG player but he's going to be 25 later this year.   Suzuki probably will never reach his offensive totals (especially not if they had the same linemates/assignments etc) but Slick Nick is a very underrated defensive player. I can see him being a 75-80 point 2 way player... thats tough to lose. You're then adding our 1st round pick and our most recent 1st round pick and a valuable middle six winger... 

Id do Guhle + 1st + Drouin +  ________  But i think that _______ would have to be someone other than Suzuki, DD, Romanov, Norlinder or JK.   Anyone else, id do it. 

yeah same here not Suzuki or Cole but most others sure I would make some kind of play for him. I eally want to see MB gone before he can do any more damage though for every good move he makes a bad one!

3 hours ago, Windoe said:

Would you trade:

for

Not with his current injury and how the Sabres have handled it. I think its too big of a risk without seeing him in game action after such a serious injury.

14 hours ago, caperns61 said:

I have discussed this as well with friends, not Suzuki.

But, certainly KK+Droiun+First and any other deeman excluding Guhle, Romanov and Norlinder

Agreed, no way I'm including Suzuki but I'd be fine with the package you suggested. This would mean we probably let Danault walk because we can't afford him but gives us Eichel-Suzuki-Evans-Poehling down the middle for the foreseeable future, which isn't bad at all.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

Agreed, no way I'm including Suzuki but I'd be fine with the package you suggested. This would mean we probably let Danault walk because we can't afford him but gives us Eichel-Suzuki-Evans-Poehling down the middle for the foreseeable future, which isn't bad at all.

I don't think I would rush into an Eichel trade right now, I would prefer to wait until some point next season when Eichel has played at least 10-20 games after his surgery to see if he is going to preform up to his usual standards. IF you absolutely want to take that risk this off season then you have to make a package that centers around conditional picks and b level prospects and cap relief players. Something like maybe Drouin + Chiarot + Norlinder + 2021 1st + 2022 conditional 2nd (condition is if Eichel hits 100 points next season the pick upgrades to a 1st)

17 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I don't think I would rush into an Eichel trade right now, I would prefer to wait until some point next season when Eichel has played at least 10-20 games after his surgery to see if he is going to preform up to his usual standards. IF you absolutely want to take that risk this off season then you have to make a package that centers around conditional picks and b level prospects and cap relief players. Something like maybe Drouin + Chiarot + Norlinder + 2021 1st + 2022 conditional 2nd (condition is if Eichel hits 100 points next season the pick upgrades to a 1st)

I hear ya, the injury is a legit concern but so is Drouin‘s situation. Not much has surfaced as far as I know, so we don‘t even know if the personal leave is in fact related to him personally or someone in his family or extended circle for example but it’s a question mark nonetheless. That’s why I‘d be fine with the trade in theory, but ultimately it all depends on how the organization sees Kotkaniemi. If they‘re committed to developing him as a center, that’s cool. Otherwise I’m more inclined to cutting our losses early and getting an upgrade before we continue to actively hurt his trade value due to questionable assignments and development decisions.

18 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Agreed - Eichel is considering an Artificial disk replacement in his neck. It's a high risk surgery that while it may produce short term playing ability and results and I am no medic, it does make me question the long term factor. If the risks are clear, I have no problem with a proposed trade but Drouin the recovery project and Chiarot for only next year may not be enough in terms of roster players. The value would be in Norlinder and the draft picks. KK played pretty solid in last year's playoffs. He needs a good playoff round assuming he gets some ice time to determine his future value. I am not certain that this year's season performance with the grueling  schedule is indicative of future results. 

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I wouldn't be touching Eichel with a ten foot pole right now. 

7 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I wouldn't be touching Eichel with a ten foot pole right now. 

He's still young and i wouldnt be too worried about us getting him the right treatment after it looks like Buffalo may have bungled it. 

That said, Kevyn Adams has made a few very questionable trades lately.   Would he consider a package of 1st + Guhle + Danault (sign and trade) + Chairot?      On paper it sounds like larceny but they get an effective, still prime Danault, a 1st, a brand new 1st picked player + depth.    Im not sure you'd be laughed out of the room because Barfalo is definitely behind the eight ball.  

All the talk is that the Sabres don't want him in the East so likely a deal sends him West. I imagine there would have to be a large premium to trade him within the division. Rumours are that LA is at the top of the list.

34 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

All the talk is that the Sabres don't want him in the East so likely a deal sends him West. I imagine there would have to be a large premium to trade him within the division. Rumours are that LA is at the top of the list.

For sure. And i dont see MB having the guts to pull off a trade like that - its always risky when you've got several players involved - he likes his 1 for 1 deals. 

On 5/11/2021 at 5:45 PM, Windoe said:

Would you trade:

for

Seems steep to me.

I would perhaps offer a deal around Kotkaniemi. Maybe something like Kotkaniemi and 1st round draft choice (2021). We'd need to toss in someone to count-balance the cap hit coming back our way. Maybe they'd take one of Chiarot or Edmundson to help with the cap? I feel like they would want another good young prospect as well.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Ben Chiarot
Kaiden Guhle
1st round draft choice (2021)
4th round draft choice (2021)

Just taking on Eichel's contract at this point is a high risk. I am not sure he has much value. We would need to clear cap space but Buffalo would have to eat a prorated protion of his salry based upon how many years or games Eichel plays in his career. For that reason I would want most of what we give up to be in draft picks that are connected to our success and his ability to play. A deal like that would protect the team taking him but is not likely to give Buffalo full return on his value. I think the Sabres may find themselves stuck with a very expensive and disgruntled asset (I use the term loosley, as it soon may be an albatross or anchor around their necks) If I were the GM on some other teams it might be different. I could see NYR, Nashville or Columbus being interested though as they appear to be heading for issues with some of their top players.  Moving one of Storme or Kreider may be worth it to the Rags, Nashville is likely looking for a return on Johansen (but it would probably cost them a lot more) Columbus has a great asset in Seth Jones who is a UFA in two years and getting something guaranteed long term might be worth it rather than waiting and seeing him deciding to walk.  This will be fun to watch over the next year or two and in the mean time the Sabres are likely to acquire some high draft positions as the circus continues.

26 minutes ago, Windoe said:

Gerard Gallant next Habs coach

Yay - Nay - Maybay

Nay. Gallant is interviewing for the Rangers job as is, but I think Joel Bouchard has the best odds of being next if he wants it. If he doesn't, not sure who would be next, but could be someone like Roy, Boucher, Tourigny. I have a feeling that if it's not Bouchard, I won't be overly thrilled about it. I don't think Boucher would be the end of the world but if he's here, it's cause there's a new GM. He and Bergevin reportedly don't get along.

Whatever language they speak, it needs to be someone who sees value in advanced metrics and who isn't afraid to play younger players. It's a losing strategy to rely on overpaid vets; doesn't work under the salary cap. You absolutely need to have cost-controlled young guys whom you can count on to be key elements of your team.

32 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Jack Eichel for Carey Price! :ph34r: Anyone think Carey waves the NMC for that? :lol:

I would do it. I don't see why either Carey or Buffalo would agree to that though. Buffalo isn't winning anything before Price retires.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I would do it. I don't see why either Carey or Buffalo would agree to that though. Buffalo isn't winning anything before Price retires.

Starting to wonder if the Habs will.

• H_T_L locked this topic