The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 If I Were GM

H_T_L

13 hours ago, H_T_L said:

To go to Buffalo??? Would you do it??:lol:

I would NOT. :lol:

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I would do it. I don't see why either Carey or Buffalo would agree to that though. Buffalo isn't winning anything before Price retires.

Very true. But the caaaapppp numbers do even out! B)

8 hours ago, electron58 said:

Starting to wonder if the Habs will.

They will not. :(

The rumours of a JK for Eichel (with more included) swap surfacing in full force right now.  I guess thats what happens when you scratch the kid for game 1 of the playoffs.

Cant see it happening but with MB who knows. 

I worry about Eichel's health obviously but assuming he did return to form, a centre group of  Eichel-Suzuki-Evans-Poehling would be pretty sweet.  I assume we'd have to let Danault walk if we did make that move.

Just wonder what other +++ we'd have to include in the deal. guhle maybe? 1st? roster player?   

21 hours ago, maas_art said:

The rumours of a JK for Eichel (with more included) swap surfacing in full force right now.  I guess thats what happens when you scratch the kid for game 1 of the playoffs.

I worry about Eichel's health obviously but assuming he did return to form, a centre group of  Eichel-Suzuki-Evans-Poehling would be pretty sweet.  I assume we'd have to let Danault walk if we did make that move.

Just wonder what other +++ we'd have to include in the deal. guhle maybe? 1st? roster player?

Yeah. I feel like it's a risk for Buffalo to make that deal, but it could work out favorably for them. Especially if we toss in another high draft pick and some other good young players. Eichel seems so good. I would love to have him. I wonder what the cost would be, truly.

21 hours ago, maas_art said:

35 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah. I feel like it's a risk for Buffalo to make that deal, but it could work out favorably for them. Especially if we toss in another high draft pick and some other good young players. Eichel seems so good. I would love to have him. I wonder what the cost would be, truly.

The only issue I have with an Eichel KK+++ swap is (Other than KK is my fav Hab right now lol) What IF Eichel never returns to form after surgery then you gave up KK +++ for maybe a Drouin level of player or worse he is forced to retire and now you gave all that up for nothing. Best case scenario for Buffalo is to wait until either 1 month into next season or the TDL to alleviate all of the questions. Otherwise they will have to focus on conditional futures as the main part of the deal. Something like 2021 1st + 2022 2nd (upgrades to a 1st if Eichel plays more than 50 games and has more than 70 points next season) + 2023 2nd upgrades to 1st if 2022 conditions are met and Montreal makes the 3rd round in either 2021 or 2022) + 2023 3rd (upgrades to 2nd if all other conditional picks are satisfied) + Guhle or Norlinder.

58 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

The only issue I have with an Eichel KK+++ swap is (Other than KK is my fav Hab right now lol) What IF Eichel never returns to form after surgery then you gave up KK +++ for maybe a Drouin level of player or worse he is forced to retire and now you gave all that up for nothing. Best case scenario for Buffalo is to wait until either 1 month into next season or the TDL to alleviate all of the questions. Otherwise they will have to focus on conditional futures as the main part of the deal. Something like 2021 1st + 2022 2nd (upgrades to a 1st if Eichel plays more than 50 games and has more than 70 points next season) + 2023 2nd upgrades to 1st if 2022 conditions are met and Montreal makes the 3rd round in either 2021 or 2022) + 2023 3rd (upgrades to 2nd if all other conditional picks are satisfied) + Guhle or Norlinder.

Bergevin will probably offer KK, CC and Romanov for Eichel :ph34r:

I doubt there is any reason for concern regard Eichel’s injury. If anything I thinks it’s probably just getting played up. But also, if we think the asking price for Eichel is high now, wait till you see it after he gets back on the ice. Sometimes you have to roll the dice a bit. Do your homework, understand the injury and it’s recovery trajectory and make the call. Just like with Anderson, we thought we paid a high price, imagine what he would cost in a trade now?

1 hour ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

I doubt there is any reason for concern regard Eichel’s injury. If anything I thinks it’s probably just getting played up. But also, if we think the asking price for Eichel is high now, wait till you see it after he gets back on the ice. Sometimes you have to roll the dice a bit. Do your homework, understand the injury and it’s recovery trajectory and make the call. Just like with Anderson, we thought we paid a high price, imagine what he would cost in a trade now?

Agree.  
You get your own doctors to do exams, you trust their decisions.   And I also agree that if you wait till he comes back & he plays well, you're paying way more for him.  When we look back at the greatest trades in history, most (if not all) were gambles.  Unfortunately, sometimes they dont work. 

7 hours ago, electron58 said:

Talk of Florida maybe not able to sign Barkov. I would target him instead of Eichel.   Plus, I think the Rangers will be all over Eichel.

I suppose it's possible, but... Florida is going to have so much salary coming off the books at the end of the 2021-22 season. I cannot imagine they'll have difficulty signing Barkov. And they've shown a commitment to paying top salaries to players with the Bobrovsky signing.

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I suppose it's possible, but... Florida is going to have so much salary coming off the books at the end of the 2021-22 season. I cannot imagine they'll have difficulty signing Barkov. And they've shown a commitment to paying top salaries to players with the Bobrovsky signing.

Yes, true. But they do regret some of those signings,  and they usually spend Ottawa type dollars, or, small market dollars. If they can get a package of high end talent,  who knows? Plus, who's to say that Barkov wants to stay. If he's not signed soon, and he plays out his contract, you could have a Panarin situation.  Columbus,  small market team, crashing and burning now.

57 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Yes, true. But they do regret some of those signings,  and they usually spend Ottawa type dollars, or, small market dollars. If they can get a package of high end talent,  who knows? Plus, who's to say that Barkov wants to stay. If he's not signed soon, and he plays out his contract, you could have a Panarin situation.  Columbus,  small market team, crashing and burning now.

The Panthers are definitely moving in the right direction. He is the Captain and has grown with the team. Florida has zero state taxes so we would have to way over pay. Also he may like being a star player but not having all the pressure. I'm sure he can go out without people bugging him and no media following everything he does. I don't know if he has a wife or girlfriend but I'm sure if he does they would probably rather stay in Florida than Montreal. Especially when you read articles like how Petry's wife has been treated by not speaking or attempting French. Look at Drouins situation , It's unfortunate that there is a fan base that can be so critical of everything from dressing room talk ect. ect.. Most fan bases only care about what happens on the ice. I love the HABS and like most as a kid would of dreamed playing in the forum. Now I can understand players that don't want that scrutiny. 

13 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

The Panthers are definitely moving in the right direction. He is the Captain and has grown with the team. Florida has zero state taxes so we would have to way over pay. Also he may like being a star player but not having all the pressure. I'm sure he can go out without people bugging him and no media following everything he does. I don't know if he has a wife or girlfriend but I'm sure if he does they would probably rather stay in Florida than Montreal. Especially when you read articles like how Petry's wife has been treated by not speaking or attempting French. Look at Drouins situation , It's unfortunate that there is a fan base that can be so critical of everything from dressing room talk ect. ect.. Most fan bases only care about what happens on the ice. I love the HABS and like most as a kid would of dreamed playing in the forum. Now I can understand players that don't want that scrutiny. 

I forgot that Florida doesn't have a personal income tax. Yeah, that can make a pretty big impact on the take-home for a top player in the league. On a $10 million salary, it's over $1 million in difference. Factor that over 7-8 years. That's more than an entire extra year of take-home money you would have at the end of the contract.

I guess you can make an argument for added revenue streams playing in Montreal, but the anonymity and warm weather in Florida is probably worth it.

7 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Ah. Zero state tax.  That could be the deciding factor.  Wonder why it took them this long to have a decent team? Tallon?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PuckPundit said:

OK, here's a blasphemous thought:

If the Bruins dismantle their aging roster and lets Marchand/Bergeron/Krejci go, will/should the Habs grab them at reduced contracts?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welll Bergeron,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe. 

22 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

OK, here's a blasphemous thought:

If the Bruins dismantle their aging roster and lets Marchand/Bergeron/Krejci go, will/should the Habs grab them at reduced contracts?

Besides Krejci, in a heartbeat. But it won’t happen. Bergeron will likely play out his contract and retire a B, and I doubt Marchand is going anywhere any time soon. And also, I don’t see either of them going at a reduced rate if they were to hit the market 

• 2 weeks later...

No complaints about acquiring Perry. But pity missing out on Jason Spezza. Now he's gone for good.

How on earth did MB not claim Kyle Turris on waivers :4845::5785:?  He was formerly a top centre with Ottawa, no less skilled than Mark Stone! 

I do believe that Taylor Hall would be a great fit in Montreal. Cannot see anyone paying him huge dollars after his last season. He would in my opinion be a point a game player again on this team. Other then him I would pass on all others. Hamilton will get huge dollars and a sign and trade scenario would scare me away. Ovi is not going any where, which is too bad. 

3 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

I do believe that Taylor Hall would be a great fit in Montreal. Cannot see anyone paying him huge dollars after his last season. He would in my opinion be a point a game player again on this team. Other then him I would pass on all others. Hamilton will get huge dollars and a sign and trade scenario would scare me away. Ovi is not going any where, which is too bad. 

Depending what happens with Drouin and Tatar I'm thinking they'll let go , I think Hall would fit well. I just wonder what he would sign for?

13 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

No complaints about acquiring Perry. But pity missing out on Jason Spezza. Now he's gone for good.

How on earth did MB not claim Kyle Turris on waivers :4845::5785:?  He was formerly a top centre with Ottawa, no less skilled than Mark Stone! 

There’s enough leadership on the Habs such that we don’t need a Spezza. The leafs are woefully weak on leadership and heart from any of their core. Additions of Thornton, Simmonds, Bogosian, Foligno and Spezza made by little Harry Potter who recognized the inability of Tavares Matthews etc. to set good examples in the room and on ice, failed. Spezza hasn’t won much at all - not required here. 

7 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Depending what happens with Drouin and Tatar I'm thinking they'll let go , I think Hall would fit well. I just wonder what he would sign for?

Look at the trail of teams Hall has been on ... we don't need Hall, he's a cancer

As the playoffs go on, I really do wish we could resign Danault to a reasonable contract long-term. I just don't see where we will get the money. He's worth something. What that something is? I don't know. He's never gonna score a lot, but he's been so excellent at shutting down opposing teams' top lines in the post-season. Someone is going to pay him loads in free agency. I don't know if Montreal can afford to bring him back with Suzuki and Kotkaniemi coming along. Maybe Evans is good enough to step into a third line center role next season?

12 hours ago, dreegking said:

I heard from someone  quasi in the know that Hall will make his way to The Flames. 

And then he will go somewhere else when the Flames fail to do much. And then his next team will fail to do much. And on and on and on for all of time. :lol:

• H_T_L locked this topic