The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 If I Were GM

H_T_L

53 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Very true. I thought about that as well. I'm sure his agent knows what's up.

Just imagine, like, a four or five year deal for $4 million. That would've been nice. But yeah... Hindsight. Would love him back, but I just don't know if we'll be able to make it work.

would have been ideal for sure.  In 2 years time he'll be expendable but right now... its tough to see how we'd replace him, considering how much we rely on him.

The biggest issue with Danault seems to have been more about deployment and usage rather than money.  He's said several times in the media that he thinks he's more than a 3rd line center.  But now that you've had guys like McKinnon and Matthews and Schiefele as well as media and opposing coaches heap praise on him, maybe he settles into that 2b/3a role and accepts the offer that is best for the team and the player. 

Going to the SCF (and possibly winning it) goes a long way to enticing free agents to stay and attracting others.  Its going to be an interesting off season. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

would have been ideal for sure.  In 2 years time he'll be expendable but right now... its tough to see how we'd replace him, considering how much we rely on him.

The biggest issue with Danault seems to have been more about deployment and usage rather than money.  He's said several times in the media that he thinks he's more than a 3rd line center.  But now that you've had guys like McKinnon and Matthews and Schiefele as well as media and opposing coaches heap praise on him, maybe he settles into that 2b/3a role and accepts the offer that is best for the team and the player. 

Going to the SCF (and possibly winning it) goes a long way to enticing free agents to stay and attracting others.  Its going to be an interesting off season. 

With that said, if we somehow manage to win the Cup, I am fine with Danault leaving on a high and Montreal being a terrible team for the next few seasons. :lol: 

I would definitely see if Price would allow us to not protect him in the up coming draft. He has been the same since the day he got here. He cost a few GMs jobs because everyone thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then wham he goes into a funk and it’s like, who me. Time to move on. Sign Pekka Rhinne and platoon the two goalies. Primeau may turn out who knows. Time to move on😂

16 hours ago, tony5775 said:

I would definitely see if Price would allow us to not protect him in the up coming draft. He has been the same since the day he got here. He cost a few GMs jobs because everyone thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then wham he goes into a funk and it’s like, who me. Time to move on. Sign Pekka Rhinne and platoon the two goalies. Primeau may turn out who knows. Time to move on😂

From 2013-2017 I believe he was the best in the world. With that said, his form has definitely dropped off over the last several seasons, and despite his playoff performance this year, I don't think he's the goalie of our near future. Who is? I have no idea. Maybe Primeau some day.

On 7/2/2021 at 7:20 AM, maas_art said:

Danault to me is a classic case of: give him money or give him term, but don't give him both. Given the playoffs he's having, he's ripe for someone to overpay him on a contract he can't live up to. The defensive play is great, but you can only pay so much for a 40-50 point player, especially under a flat cap, without it likely coming back to bite you. You don't want to be in a situation in a couple years where your #3 center is preventing you from re-signing Cole Caufield.  Vancouver and Toffoli is a good example of where squandering cap space in previous years causes problems.

At this point, Suzuki looks like a legitimate #1, JK is passable as a #2, but losing Danault would definitely leave a hole and lack of depth. I feel like you can cobble together a bottom six though, and that would be preferable to taking on another contract that's going to cause us problems in a few years. Hopefully Bergevin's newly found job security prevents him from making a long-term mistake to handle a short-term problem.

Personally I would let Danault walk, he is just not worth the money he wants, I think Evans would be a fine replacement.  Provides more speed, more offensive finish at a fraction of the cost.  I would much rather see us save the cap space to resign Armia who I think has been a much better player and more all around player TBH.  As well as the cap we save by doing this would certainly help in the long run towards resigning one of our young guns

7 hours ago, Graeme-1 said:

Danault to me is a classic case of: give him money or give him term, but don't give him both. Given the playoffs he's having, he's ripe for someone to overpay him on a contract he can't live up to. The defensive play is great, but you can only pay so much for a 40-50 point player, especially under a flat cap, without it likely coming back to bite you. You don't want to be in a situation in a couple years where your #3 center is preventing you from re-signing Cole Caufield.  Vancouver and Toffoli is a good example of where squandering cap space in previous years causes problems.

At this point, Suzuki looks like a legitimate #1, JK is passable as a #2, but losing Danault would definitely leave a hole and lack of depth. I feel like you can cobble together a bottom six though, and that would be preferable to taking on another contract that's going to cause us problems in a few years. Hopefully Bergevin's newly found job security prevents him from making a long-term mistake to handle a short-term problem.

Those point totals are likely to go down too, as he stars to slot behind guys like Suzuki and JK... 

Free up the Danault, Tatar and Drouin contracts - use the combined freed cap to acquire a proper LHPMD to partner Weber and remaining spare change to bolster the rest of the D corps. Start searching for Weber and Petry replacements quickly.

So we won the last game without KK Tater or Drouin. now imagine this same team tonight with Eichel take the salary from those players to get him not sure what the trade bait would have to be on top of KK but damm that would make us better in a flash!

9 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

So we won the last game without KK Tater or Drouin. now imagine this same team tonight with Eichel take the salary from those players to get him not sure what the trade bait would have to be on top of KK but damm that would make us better in a flash!

I was thinking that same thing this morning when I saw Eichel's name mentioned in trade rumors.   

Im certain buffalo would ask for Suzuki but for me that would be a hard pass.  Even losing JK would be tough but you've got to give to get.  I am sure that any deal would require our medical staff to be sure they are confident in his recovery. 

I think you could the discussions rolling with a package like: 

JK + Byron + Guhle + 1st. 

They may prefer someone like Lehkonen (or Armia if re-signed, or Evans etc) over Byron & thats fine but they would have to get creative with salary retention then.   I am sure they'd love us to add someone like Evans or Poehling but id be very cautious with that, as it would give Danault a ton of leverage in the contract dept.  

Could you imagine that top 6 though?

Toffoli - Eichel - Gallagher
Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield

Look out!

Still need to address our blueline though, which has performed brilliantly in the post season but is not getting any younger. 

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

I was thinking that same thing this morning when I saw Eichel's name mentioned in trade rumors.   

Im certain buffalo would ask for Suzuki but for me that would be a hard pass.  Even losing JK would be tough but you've got to give to get.  I am sure that any deal would require our medical staff to be sure they are confident in his recovery. 

They may prefer someone like Lehkonen (or Armia if re-signed, or Evans etc) over Byron & thats fine but they would have to get creative with salary retention then.   I am sure they'd love us to add someone like Evans or Poehling but id be very cautious with that, as it would give Danault a ton of leverage in the contract dept.  

Look out!

Still need to address our blueline though, which has performed brilliantly in the post season but is not getting any younger. 

Honestly, I don't think that comes close to what you'd need to offer to get Eichel. You're getting a 24 year old legitimate top-10 #1 center signed for the next 5 years, so trading a few mid-first-rounders isn't going to get it done. Of course JK was a high draft-pick, but given he's had 3 years (granted, not full seasons) and still looks questionable, I doubt GMs consider him a top prospect anymore (it's too early to call him a bust, but if you're redrafting today I doubt he goes top-10).

An Eichel trade would probably have to be based around Suzuki. As much as we can all hope for the old Joe Thornton or Taylor Hall style of trades, realistically whatever we give up to get Eichel is going to be painful. I probably wouldn't do it either, but it would be a fair trade (trading younger player with higher potential ceiling for already proven player in their prime).

11 hours ago, maas_art said:

Look out!

How could you possibly give up so much for a player that is going in for neck surgery and may never be the same again??  No way in hell would I touch that, maybe move JK and a first but to add in Guhle who could very well be a top pairing D man??  That sounds like the Drouin disaster all over again

Some big decisions upcoming for MB.

• Corey Perry UFA. Does Bergevin try to bring him back?
  • Joel Armia UFA. Is he worth brining back? How much money would he even want?
  • Phillip Danault UFA. Does he get re-signed or does he test the UFA market?
  • Tomas Tatar UFA. I assume he's not coming back, but stranger things have happened.
  • Jesperi Kotkaniemi RFA. I think we'll see a two year bridge-deal here.
  • Arturri Lehkonen RFA. Arbitration eligible. I think he's back next season!
  • Jonathan Drouin situation. Is Drouin a Hab next season?
  • Who gets protected in the expansion draft?
  • Our D still needs improvement. Will the solution be internal or external?

I think the biggest decision we have to make revolves around Danault/Kotkaniemi. I am hopeful that next season Kotkaniemi can truly become a top-six player on this team. Suzuki is already there, but can Jesperi make the jump?

If Bergevin brings Danault back, I feel like it might mean the team doesn't see Kotkaniemi has part of its future. Because, let's be real, Danault is not coming back on 1-2 year deal. He's looking for 4-5+ seasons for sure. And with the money he's going to seek, he's not going to be a bottom six player. He's going to get minutes.

16 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

• Tomas Tatar UFA. I assume he's not coming back, but stranger things have happened.

Perry - Yes, I would like to see him back. We have too much filler in the forward areas - need to swing for at least 1-2 more consistent scorers via trade or free agency. Armia is filler, Tatar is Filler, Byron is filler. Danault great in playoffs but does not help too much getting you into playoffs via his lack of scoring, so it's a value game for me on his contract and term.. Drouin for whatever Demons he has may be a buyout candidate - $1.833 4 year cap hit vs. $5.5M or deserves a fresh start as he seems to no longer be a fit. Gallagher mopped the ice in the playoffs and will need a good centre and another linemate to succeed so get him some help as we have identified his heart as part of the core. KK and Lehks are still projects in progress. I would sacrifice Chiarot first or Edmundson to acquire another young forward on the rise, and live with Kulak / Romanov on the left side while we wait for the pipeline LHD to come thru.

2 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think the biggest decision we have to make revolves around Danault/Kotkaniemi. I am hopeful that next season Kotkaniemi can truly become a top-six player on this team. Suzuki is already there, but can Jesperi make the jump?

If Bergevin brings Danault back, I feel like it might mean the team doesn't see Kotkaniemi has part of its future. Because, let's be real, Danault is not coming back on 1-2 year deal. He's looking for 4-5+ seasons for sure. And with the money he's going to seek, he's not going to be a bottom six player. He's going to get minutes.

God I certainly hope not,  you can't tie up that much cap in a player like Danault.  Yes he is a great defensive C, but his lack of offense is killing not only his linemates but also the team in general.  I still think that Evans is ready to replace Danault and be a more impactful player all around

Another big question. And one that is probably very unlikely to come to pass, but... Does Bergevin, in some way, try to capitalize on the performances of Price, Weber, Chiarot, or Edmundson through trade? I mean, there values are higher now than they're ever going to be again (most likely).

45 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Another big question. And one that is probably very unlikely to come to pass, but... Does Bergevin, in some way, try to capitalize on the performances of Price, Weber, Chiarot, or Edmundson through trade? I mean, there values are higher now than they're ever going to be again (most likely).

Honestly that just doesn't seem like a Bergevin thing to do.  And for once I don't even really mean that in a bad way (although, if it were me, I'd be looking into trades).  IMO Bergevin is enough about "loyalty" that I can't see him looking to move any of the "big 4" unless he absolutely has to, and who knows, maybe there's even something to be said for that sort of attitude.  Or maybe I'm still just feeling warm and fuzzy after that cup run :lol:

2 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

Honestly that just doesn't seem like a Bergevin thing to do.  And for once I don't even really mean that in a bad way (although, if it were me, I'd be looking into trades).  IMO Bergevin is enough about "loyalty" that I can't see him looking to move any of the "big 4" unless he absolutely has to, and who knows, maybe there's even something to be said for that sort of attitude.  Or maybe I'm still just feeling warm and fuzzy after that cup run :lol:

Yeah, I don't think Bergevin is shrewd enough to look at moving those guys, but there is definitely an argument to be made in favor of moving someone at peak value. Although, Price with the full NMC likely isn't going anywhere ever. However, Weber has no trade or movement clauses in his contract and Chiarot and Edmundson have modified no trade clauses.

The only way I realistically see any of them leaving is through the entry draft.  That's going to be the most interesting part of the offseason IMO - who does he protect, and what happens as a result.

18 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

The only way I realistically see any of them leaving is through the entry draft.  That's going to be the most interesting part of the offseason IMO - who does he protect, and what happens as a result.

Yup, gonna be an exciting week with the Kraken expansion draft and then the entry draft. Kicks off on the 21st, I think.

6 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

• Corey Perry: Yes please. I admit that I have a bit of a man crush on him but it's a low risk, huge reward move.
  • Joel Armia: Yes, definitely worth bringing him back. I don't think it'll be too expensive. 2.5M-3M I'm guessing.
  • Phillip Danault: Tough call, it really depends on what he wants. He's amazing defensively and can completely neutralize the best of them, which is valuable for sure, but if he's looking for 5.5M+ long term, that's just too rich for me in a Cap world given his lack of offense. I'd go with Suzuki-Kotkaniemi-Evans-Poehling in that case.
  • Tomas Tatar: Nope, he's gone.
  • Jesperi Kotkaniemi: Agreed, bridge deal. Definitely not ready to throw him out of the window because there are very interesting comparables who took their sweet time developing at center as well but he'll need to show progress and more consistency next season.
  • Arturri Lehkonen: He'll be back for sure, same as Armia.
  • Jonathan Drouin: I think he's gone. Let's use the Cap savings from Danault/Tatar/Drouin for a real upgrade at D and/or C.

- Corey Perry: Yes, I think he will come back & I will be happy if he does.
- Armia comes back I think, assuming he doesnt want more than $3-3.5m   His last contract was $2.5 or so.
- Danault i think likely comes back. I think term may be more of an issue than money. I cant see them letting him walk.
- Tatar - unless he was hurt, but you'd think DD would have said something - is gone.
- JK - either a bridge deal, or, he gets traded as part of a package for a guy like Eichel.
- Lehkonen will be resigned, but will he be left exposed?
- Drouin - not even going to speculate.
- I am not sure who will get protected, but i think Allen, Chiarot, Evans and Lehks will be our most high profile exposed players.
- Our D DOES need improvement - but does MB see that? 

Good points about the JK/Danault situation. Here's the thing though:  we just played a stanley cup final & Danault was double and triple shifted to get him on the ice whenever the best players from TB were out - and even in offensive situations - while JK sat in the pressbox.  I dont think MB thinks the jump is imminent.

I DO think, if he can get danault for a reasonable price, he may not worry too much about term, because he'd most likely be tradable. 

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

He absolutely should.   The idea that this team will contend again next year is pretty unlikely but im not sure if MB sees that.     CC, Suzuki, JK, Romanov will be here (and good) for a long time while players like Anderson, Toffoli, etc will still be here for a while.  Weber, Price, Chiarot, Edmundson, Petry - not so much.   Lets get the roster a little closer to the same age & move them while they are still valuable assets. 

Any thoughts on kicking the tires around Tarasenko? $7.5 is a hefty cap hit, but I believe it’s only for two more seasons. Has had a couple of rough seasons, but when healthy is a heck of a sniper. Left handed shooter, we’re light on those at the top end. And he has a pretty solid playoff history, and I’m sure some ties to Edmundson and Allen. Might be a real compliment to our top six. Any idea what the asking price is at this point?

13 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Any thoughts on kicking the tires around Tarasenko? $7.5 is a hefty cap hit, but I believe it’s only for two more seasons. Has had a couple of rough seasons, but when healthy is a heck of a sniper. Left handed shooter, we’re light on those at the top end. And he has a pretty solid playoff history, and I’m sure some ties to Edmundson and Allen. Might be a real compliment to our top six. Any idea what the asking price is at this point?

Interesting thought.  He's been decent, when healthy but he's missed a ton of games.... tough to hitch your wagon to that, knowing he'd possibly have injury concerns.

That said, Id certainly consider it if the return wasn't too high and allowed us to include byron as a salary offset.  We end up paying more than Byron's cap but we pick up a guy who isnt getting paid $3.8m to be our #11-13 forward. 

Id actually be interested in a bigger deal tbh.    Tarasenko + Dunn for _______ but not sure what that would look like. 

• H_T_L locked this topic