The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 If I Were GM

H_T_L

9 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I'd protect the new guy, Petry, and Edmundson. I don't think Weber gets taken.

Its absolutely the right thing to do, but MB has such a huge man-crush on Weber, it will never happen imho.  Id be shocked if it did thats for sure. 

9 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Would love to have Hamilton too, but I don't think he's a MB type guy and I don't think he wants to play in a pressure cooker. He's a stay out of the spotlight type and Montreal ain't that.

Good points.  

And i think you're right. If we keep Chiarot (either if he's not exposed, or if the Kraken take someone else) I think MB believes our top 4 is set.  I could see him bringing in a guy to play with Romanov but then he'd say our defense is set & just look at adding more scoring up front, just totally ignoring the fact that part of the reason we couldn't score is  that we were getting nearly no offensive support from the back-end. All our plays started (and ended) with forwards. The two groups dont (and shouldnt) work independantly of each other!  Obviously Petry with 2 good hands would (and will) help that but a pairing of Weber-Chiarot playing close to 1/2 the game is never going to solve this. 

actually I think Allen gets taken by Seattle ..he's a dependable team-first goalie who can start or be back-up and comes at a reasonable hit for 2 more years ..there's always the behind the scenes deals that happen as well ..get that silver tongue wagging Bergevin 

20 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

actually I think Allen gets taken by Seattle ..he's a dependable team-first goalie who can start or be back-up and comes at a reasonable hit for 2 more years ..there's always the behind the scenes deals that happen as well ..get that silver tongue wagging Bergevin 

I think the odds are that he does, yes.   I think there's a legit chance that a different team covets a player like Evans or Lehkonen or Chiarot and tells the Kraken "pick ____ and we'll trade you _____ for him" though.

Gonna be an interesting couple of weeks. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Its absolutely the right thing to do, but MB has such a huge man-crush on Weber, it will never happen imho.  Id be shocked if it did thats for sure. 

Good points.  

And i think you're right. If we keep Chiarot (either if he's not exposed, or if the Kraken take someone else) I think MB believes our top 4 is set.  I could see him bringing in a guy to play with Romanov but then he'd say our defense is set & just look at adding more scoring up front, just totally ignoring the fact that part of the reason we couldn't score is  that we were getting nearly no offensive support from the back-end. All our plays started (and ended) with forwards. The two groups dont (and shouldnt) work independantly of each other!  Obviously Petry with 2 good hands would (and will) help that but a pairing of Weber-Chiarot playing close to 1/2 the game is never going to solve this. 

Oh absolutely MB believes his top 4 got him to the SCF. He doesn't separate results from the reasons for the results. I don't think we'll see a major change in the top 4 if Chiarot is still here (and my guess is we go 4-4-1 and keep him). As I posted elsewhere, I think Hjalmarsson could a target for MB to play the 3rd pairing next to Romanov.

33 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

11 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think the odds are that he does, yes.   I think there's a legit chance that a different team covets a player like Evans or Lehkonen or Chiarot and tells the Kraken "pick ____ and we'll trade you _____ for him" though.

Gonna be an interesting couple of weeks. 

Allen is definitely a strong goalie compared to who else is out there, but the only thing I've heard repeatedly about Seattle's supposed draft strategy is that they hope to leave themselves with lots of flexibility. They are required to get to a certain cap floor, but they are trying to get cheaper players and guys who are on expiring contracts so that that they can walk away from them next summer and then use their cap space as an asset to sign UFA's and/or make trades by taking on bad contracts in exchange for assets. So who comes out as a strong candidate to be taken in that regard?

1. Ben Chiarot... dependable D man but a UFA after this year. He gets you some salary towards the cap floor now, but he's a tradeable asset at the deadline since he's a UFA and he doesn't set you back next year.

2. Jake Evans... young center, history of offensive upside in college, good two-way player. Could easily be a 3rd-line center for us or Seattle for another 5 years, and he's cheap.

3. Lehkonen... like Evans, he's still in his mid-20's and can be a long-term asset. As an RFA, Seattle would have some leverage to go short-term on a new deal if they wanted.

4. Kulak... cheap contract, expiring after next season.

5. Fleury... RFA, young guy, no leverage on his next deal.

Using this logic, Drouin and Byron would be less likely to be chosen. Evan an impending UFA like Armia, Tatar, or Danault would maybe be less palatable to Seattle unless they could work out a contract to their liking.

As for Allen, he's on a relatively good contract, but I still wonder if the Kraken only go for one starting goalie... if someone like Jonathan Quick or Braden Holtby is available, do they just take that guy and then go after a cheaper back-up like Samuel Montembeault or Joey Daccord. They've been rumored to be thinking about impending UFA Chris Driedger, and Pittsburgh will leave one of Tristan Jarry or Casey DeSmith available. Frederick Andersen is also a UFA, and if they negotiate with him and reach a deal, then they probably don't need Allen too. I don't think Seattle is going to spend big money on two guys in net like we did, so I expect the back-up to be making under 2M. Ultimately, if they see value in someone like Chiarot, Lehkonen, or Evans and don't see value in another team outside of their goalie, they'll turn somewhere else.

IF Weber really is headed to LTIR or retiring, you have 7-8M extra cap space to spend.

Option A could be exploiting a team that can't protect a D man. Minnesota dumped Suter, so they're not in a bind any more, but could go after Jake Bean still.

Option B could be signing Dougie Hamilton, who is a perfect replacement as a top D man without giving up anything but cap hit.

Option C could be a trade for a guy like Dumba or Werenski or Seth Jones. Jones is a RHD on the market, and rumors were that Habs were one of the teams inquiring about asking price. Didn't make sense with MB's usual MO, but maybe it makes sense now.

Some options there for Bergevin.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

IF Weber really is headed to LTIR or retiring, you have 7-8M extra cap space to spend.

Option A could be exploiting a team that can't protect a D man. Minnesota dumped Suter, so they're not in a bind any more, but could go after Jake Bean still.

Option B could be signing Dougie Hamilton, who is a perfect replacement as a top D man without giving up anything but cap hit.

Option C could be a trade for a guy like Dumba or Werenski or Seth Jones. Jones is a RHD on the market, and rumors were that Habs were one of the teams inquiring about asking price. Didn't make sense with MB's usual MO, but maybe it makes sense now.

Option B all day long if we can swing it. I think Hamilton would be outstanding on our blueline & even without changing anything else, you would have a stronger top 6.  

Not sure if he is a "MB type" of player though... 

On 7/12/2021 at 7:01 PM, BigTed3 said:

Allen is definitely a strong goalie compared to who else is out there, but the only thing I've heard repeatedly about Seattle's supposed draft strategy is that they hope to leave themselves with lots of flexibility. They are required to get to a certain cap floor, but they are trying to get cheaper players and guys who are on expiring contracts so that that they can walk away from them next summer and then use their cap space as an asset to sign UFA's and/or make trades by taking on bad contracts in exchange for assets. So who comes out as a strong candidate to be taken in that regard?

Not so sure because I think Allen's contract will keep Seattle  flexible and he is certainly tradeable  when other teams run into goalie issues ...he's one of the best deals out there ...I'd rather him stay but this is all about the Bettman's American NHL expansionism rabbit hole ....I guess it all depends on who Seattle wants for a #1 cost-wise but also teams are spending more than ever on goalie tandems .

On 7/12/2021 at 4:01 PM, BigTed3 said:

Allen is definitely a strong goalie compared to who else is out there, but the only thing I've heard repeatedly about Seattle's supposed draft strategy is that they hope to leave themselves with lots of flexibility.

Ive heard two things actually:  1) the cap flexibility but 2) analytics.  They are aparently trying to build a team based around analytics - they think advanced stats will help them find a diamond in the rough.

If thats the case, Allen may not be their guy (not great numbers) but they may be very interested in Kulak or even Tatar who both excelled in advanced metrics (in the regular season at least). 

32 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Thoughts on Tyler bertuzzi ?  

He's a really interesting player.  I just think the price is going to be too high. He's shown he's (at worst) a 45-55 point agitating winger and he's still young. Detroit is rebuilding & he's certainly within their rebuild window.

I assume to get him you'd have to give up multiple good young players/prospects/picks.   

He'd look good on this team but I think the cost would probably be too high and our focus right now needs to be on defense imho. 

23 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Option D -provided the health is cleared - swing for Jack Eichel? 
just presenting the option - Certainly would solve some center depth issues by not signing Danault. We would probably with Drouin on the shelf still have cap room left over but just what else would Buffalo want besides a prospect, a top draft choice and another roster player 

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Ive heard two things actually:  1) the cap flexibility but 2) analytics.  They are aparently trying to build a team based around analytics - they think advanced stats will help them find a diamond in the rough.

If thats the case, Allen may not be their guy (not great numbers) but they may be very interested in Kulak or even Tatar who both excelled in advanced metrics (in the regular season at least). 

That's worked so well for Phoenix & Toronto! :4322:

• H_T_L locked this topic