The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Signed, 6 years X  $6.5m per 

a touch higher than i was hoping but not terrible by any means. He could have easily gotten that (and more) in the open market.  Wish it was 4-5 years though. Those last couple might be tough. 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2020/10/14/21496846/brendan-gallagher-signs-six-year-extension-with-the-montreal-canadiens-free-agency-habs-salary-cap

Just now, maas_art said:

Signed, 6 years X  $6.5m per 

Broken down to signed. :lol:That was fast. I can certainly live with the deal. Six is as long as i would have gone. Four or five would have been better but i'm OK with it. Money was decent too.

Exactly the deal I expected/hoped for. Under 7 and under 7. Yes less term might have been preferable, but 6 years was pretty much to be expected. With Petry and Gallagher now taken care of, what does that leave? Danault, Tatar and Armia? Unless I’m missing someone, I’d say we’re pretty much set to enjoy next season stress free. 

7 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Exactly the deal I expected/hoped for. Under 7 and under 7. Yes less term might have been preferable, but 6 years was pretty much to be expected. With Petry and Gallagher now taken care of, what does that leave? Danault, Tatar and Armia? Unless I’m missing someone, I’d say we’re pretty much set to enjoy next season stress free. 

Gally pretty much eats up the savings we get on the Alzner buyout so somebody likely playing his last year as a Hab. We open up a bit more on the savings with Allen but that's not going to be enough to keep the whole team intact. Petry's new deal also kicks in.

The ideal deal for the Habs would have been 4 years at about 6-6.25M per season, so this is a bit long and a bit more money. There are websites that calculate what "fair market value" is for a a player based on the salary cap and comparable contracts. They had Gallagher at about 6.2M for a 4-year deal and about 5.7M on a 6-year deal, so Gallagher definitely got more than he was worth. Comparatively, they had Toffoli as being worth a little over 5M on a 4-year deal, so we fared better on that end. I think Gallagher will give us 4-5 good years. History suggests those last two years could be trouble, and he'll be very difficult to move at that AAV. Habs better hope they win a Cup in the next 4 years to have made that deal worth it.

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The ideal deal for the Habs would have been 4 years at about 6-6.25M per season, so this is a bit long and a bit more money. There are websites that calculate what "fair market value" is for a a player based on the salary cap and comparable contracts. They had Gallagher at about 6.2M for a 4-year deal and about 5.7M on a 6-year deal, so Gallagher definitely got more than he was worth. Comparatively, they had Toffoli as being worth a little over 5M on a 4-year deal, so we fared better on that end. I think Gallagher will give us 4-5 good years. History suggests those last two years could be trouble, and he'll be very difficult to move at that AAV. Habs better hope they win a Cup in the next 4 years to have made that deal worth it.

"worth" is only based on what a single person would pay though. I would dollars for donuts, all day long that some GM out there would have given him $7m with term if he had hit the open market. 

12 minutes ago, maas_art said:

"worth" is only based on what a single person would pay though. I would dollars for donuts, all day long that some GM out there would have given him $7m with term if he had hit the open market. 

Absolutely. But you look at many of these deals given to players that take them into their mid-30's and most of them don't work out. Just cause someone will do it, doesn't mean it's a good idea (I know you know that, just stating the obvious).

On 10/13/2020 at 6:28 PM, maas_art said:

I can live with 6.  Maybe 6.5.  If he has to have 7 Id want less term. As BT pointed out, you've probably got 2-4 more prime BG years. So $7m for that last year would be tough to swallow.  
BG $7m per for the next 3-4 years? No problem.  BG for $7m per in years 4-8 would be ugly imho.   
I dont have a problem with him retiring as a Hab but then you work out a 3-4 year deal and then take it 1 year at a time after that. 

10 hours ago, electron58 said:

This is exactly what I would try to sign him for. Maybe $6 mil/ for 6 years.  Seems fair to me.

Some good valuations here - well done! 
I’m reasonably happy with this sending the right message of perform and you will get rewarded - also showing mgmt is committed to winning with the right team chemistry-  cap goes up in the years 5&6 when perhaps he’s bought out 

I like the signing but they better be looking at shedding salary at the trade deadline or after next season. This team cannot carry all these huge salaries with so many players to be signed. NTC or not, If the team doesn't go in the right direction a guy like Price, in particular, may force the team's hand and want out.