Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
campabee82

Guhle Signed

21 posts in this topic

The Montreal Canadiens have locked up an important piece of their future by agreeing to a three-year, entry-level contract with top prospect Kaiden Guhle.

 

Guhle will earn $832,500 with a signing bonus of $92,500 in each year of the contract that he plays in the NHL. The contract also contains Performance “A” bonuses worth a maximum of $420,000 per season. If Guhle plays in the AHL, he will earn a salary of $80,000.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he's still only 18 and might not even stopped growing yet ( 187 lbs ) ...projected as a top 2 line guy who has offense and size ...this kid might be a gem down the road 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that they would sign him already - usually they wait until a player is ready & it seems very unlikely he'd make much of a push for the roster yet, but with this year being as 'weird' as it is, it does give them some options that arent usually there.  WHL is slated to start in January too but who knows what will happen. 

Obviously he'd be unable to play in the AHL yet although the contract will most likely slide back (unless he plays 10 or more games in the NHL). 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, arpem-can said:

he's still only 18 and might not even stopped growing yet ( 187 lbs ) ...projected as a top 2 line guy who has offense and size ...this kid might be a gem down the road 

I think he's definitely got top 4 potential. He likely wont ever be a big offensive threat..although his numbers, positioning and style are somewhat similar to a certain fellow who wears #6 for us right now... 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Interesting that they would sign him already - usually they wait until a player is ready & it seems very unlikely he'd make much of a push for the roster yet, but with this year being as 'weird' as it is, it does give them some options that arent usually there.  WHL is slated to start in January too but who knows what will happen. 

Obviously he'd be unable to play in the AHL yet although the contract will most likely slide back (unless he plays 10 or more games in the NHL). 

It's possible Montreal is viewing their contracts differently than before . As with Romanov they didn't have a problem burning off a year of his entry level or signing Guhle right away . They might be thinking both will be ready for the pros sooner than later .Maybe the philosophy is that they'll have these players long enough to evaluate them through their RFA years to make decisions on them one way or the other in the end before the bigger contracts are due  .

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Interesting that they would sign him already - usually they wait until a player is ready & it seems very unlikely he'd make much of a push for the roster yet, but with this year being as 'weird' as it is, it does give them some options that arent usually there.  WHL is slated to start in January too but who knows what will happen. 

Obviously he'd be unable to play in the AHL yet although the contract will most likely slide back (unless he plays 10 or more games in the NHL). 

All of this is correct plus his contract doesn't count against the 50 contract limit. It also allows him to play for the Habs IF he impresses at rookie and training camps and WJR's

Edited by campabee82
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like this kid, and expect some good things.  He certainly won't be a Markov type player but the physical element he adds to the ice could very well be a difference maker. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, maas_art said:

I think he's definitely got top 4 potential. He likely wont ever be a big offensive threat..although his numbers, positioning and style are somewhat similar to a certain fellow who wears #6 for us right now... 

 

3 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

I really like this kid, and expect some good things.  He certainly won't be a Markov type player but the physical element he adds to the ice could very well be a difference maker. 

Always a risk he peaks at no more than a Komisarek or Emelin or Chiarot and is more of a supporting cast player, but he's drawn comparisons to the likes of Colton Parayko and Jacob Trouba, so he's certainly capable of being a good #3 D man. You look at the prospects on the left side of the D and with him, Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, and Harris, you'd really hope we get three quality D men long-term out of that group. Likelihood that at least one is sacrificed in the coming 2-3 years to help at another position. Personally, I'm most excited about Norlinder. Has some things to work on, but his puck skill and creativity with the puck is something we haven't had on the back end since we lost Subban. It's certainly a possibility that he could be the next Erik Karlsson, and if you end up with him as a top-pairing guy and can find a #3 guy out of one of those other guys, you'd be set down the left side for 6-8 years.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

From a different forum:
 

Quote

Signing Guhle now is actually smart cap management. I’m going to assume he’ll be in Junior for two more years, so the contract would slide forward each year. The signing bonus would not, so the cap hit would also go down (not substantially, but by $60-$75k or so and every dollar counts with a flat cap – this is why Suzuki only has a $863k cap hit instead of $925).

which is quite interesting & makes the move look even more shrewd.

Its also probably good for the kid who gets a nice chunk of pocket change at an early age before he's NHL ready.  A poor team probably wouldnt do this but for us it works out great. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

 

Always a risk he peaks at no more than a Komisarek or Emelin or Chiarot and is more of a supporting cast player, but he's drawn comparisons to the likes of Colton Parayko and Jacob Trouba, so he's certainly capable of being a good #3 D man. You look at the prospects on the left side of the D and with him, Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, and Harris, you'd really hope we get three quality D men long-term out of that group. Likelihood that at least one is sacrificed in the coming 2-3 years to help at another position. Personally, I'm most excited about Norlinder. Has some things to work on, but his puck skill and creativity with the puck is something we haven't had on the back end since we lost Subban. It's certainly a possibility that he could be the next Erik Karlsson, and if you end up with him as a top-pairing guy and can find a #3 guy out of one of those other guys, you'd be set down the left side for 6-8 years.

I would say his puck skills surpass Karlsson and Subban. Take a look at his Lacross type shot today. It was stopped but still mad skills. More like a forward with Svechnikov skills on the back end.

https://twitter.com/Zeb_Habs/status/1318601876804411393?s=20

Edited by campabee82
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Always a risk he peaks at no more than a Komisarek or Emelin or Chiarot and is more of a supporting cast player, but he's drawn comparisons to the likes of Colton Parayko and Jacob Trouba, so he's certainly capable of being a good #3 D man. You look at the prospects on the left side of the D and with him, Romanov, Norlinder, Struble, and Harris, you'd really hope we get three quality D men long-term out of that group. Likelihood that at least one is sacrificed in the coming 2-3 years to help at another position. Personally, I'm most excited about Norlinder. Has some things to work on, but his puck skill and creativity with the puck is something we haven't had on the back end since we lost Subban. It's certainly a possibility that he could be the next Erik Karlsson, and if you end up with him as a top-pairing guy and can find a #3 guy out of one of those other guys, you'd be set down the left side for 6-8 years.

Norlinder plays on a strong Frolinda team this year so his development is worth watching to see if he holds his own. I’m more excited about Struble who has all the required physical tools but whether his hockey sense/knowledge can be developed is the missing link. 
Guhle is strong enough in skill level to play the right side so having him multi faceted like Romanov is a nice bonus 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, claremont said:

Norlinder plays on a strong Frolinda team this year so his development is worth watching to see if he holds his own. I’m more excited about Struble who has all the required physical tools but whether his hockey sense/knowledge can be developed is the missing link. 
Guhle is strong enough in skill level to play the right side so having him multi faceted like Romanov is a nice bonus 

You have to wonder if between Romonov, Harris, Norlinder, Struble, Guhle, Brook and Fairbrother we've got a few gems in there. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, claremont said:

Norlinder plays on a strong Frolinda team this year so his development is worth watching to see if he holds his own. I’m more excited about Struble who has all the required physical tools but whether his hockey sense/knowledge can be developed is the missing link. 
Guhle is strong enough in skill level to play the right side so having him multi faceted like Romanov is a nice bonus 

 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

You have to wonder if between Romonov, Harris, Norlinder, Struble, Guhle, Brook and Fairbrother we've got a few gems in there. 

IMO Romanov appears to be a pretty safe bet to have an NHL career, but it remains to be seen if he'll be a 3rd-pairing Emelin type or a legit top 4 D man. Struble's a guy where I'm a bit worried he's going to go the way of Dalton Thrower or Noah Juulsen and hit a string of injuries. The other point with him is that he seems to fit a similar role to Guhle, so you have to wonder if one of those guys is the one we sacrifice in a trade.

Norlinder stands out to me as being unique in what he brings to the table. Romanov, Struble, Guhle... all bigger guys who play a heavy game, good skaters, big shots, etc. but maybe need a bit of refinement with the puck and don't project as big point producers. Norlinder on the other hand needs to mature with defensive positioning, maybe lacks the physicality and shot power of the others but is more of a magician with the puck on his stick and seems to have really great instinct for jumping into the offence. Like I said, I don't know how his skill level really compares to Karlsson, but his style of game seems to mirror that somewhat and Karlsson also came up through Frolunda. So without a doubt he's more of a gamble, but the ceiling here is much higher in my view. He's a potential game-changer and he fills a role that is very hard to find elsewhere. You can find a Chiarot to fill the role of tough hitter, big shot, decent skater... much harder to find a skill guy who is good enough to play top 3 and not hurt you in other areas. If Norlinder can pick up other areas of his game, he has the chance to be quite special.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2020 at 11:05 PM, BigTed3 said:

Norlinder stands out to me as being unique in what he brings to the table. Romanov, Struble, Guhle... all bigger guys who play a heavy game, good skaters, big shots, etc. but 

I am not sure why you would consider Romanov or Struble as big guys. 

Romanov is 5.11 and 182 pounds ???

Struble is 6 and 205.???
Solid maybe but certainly not big. 

I think the average size for NHL deeman is around 6.1 and 210, so both are below average. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, caperns61 said:

I am not sure why you would consider Romanov or Struble as big guys. 

Romanov is 5.11 and 182 pounds ???

Struble is 6 and 205.???
Solid maybe but certainly not big. 

I think the average size for NHL deeman is around 6.1 and 210, so both are below average. 

Agreed but Romanov plays a much bigger game than his stature suggests he is capable of.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 6:49 PM, caperns61 said:

Romanov is 5.11 and 182 pounds ???

 

Off topic a little but Romanov was drafted at 5'11"   I wonder if he grew a little since then, which is not unheard of.  Will be interesting to see what they have him listed as once he's part of the NHL lineup. Not that it matters too much but he could conceivably break the 6' barrier. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Off topic a little but Romanov was drafted at 5'11"   I wonder if he grew a little since then, which is not unheard of.  Will be interesting to see what they have him listed as once he's part of the NHL lineup. Not that it matters too much but he could conceivably break the 6' barrier. 

He may have for sure, I was just using the info that was available to me. Current NHL average size for deeman is 6.1 - 210 lbs, I was just pointing out they are not BIG defenseman by NHL standards if anything they are below average, however, i am still excited to see Romonov in a habs jersey. Skill out ways size anyway.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As per habseyesontheprize  "Kaiden Guhle named to Canada’s World Junior camp."

Let's hope he makes it.  Great experience for a young player.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the reason for the signing isn't at least to see him in 9 games with Weber on the right side?  With junior hockey on pause, maybe the best thing for Kaiden Guhle's development is a regular start in the NHL.  This is a team still young and growing.  Maybe the plan is to groom the kid along side Weber.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I wonder if the reason for the signing isn't at least to see him in 9 games with Weber on the right side?  With junior hockey on pause, maybe the best thing for Kaiden Guhle's development is a regular start in the NHL.  This is a team still young and growing.  Maybe the plan is to groom the kid along side Weber.

Always an option. Be a great experience for the kid.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2020 at 8:18 AM, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I wonder if the reason for the signing isn't at least to see him in 9 games with Weber on the right side?  With junior hockey on pause, maybe the best thing for Kaiden Guhle's development is a regular start in the NHL.  This is a team still young and growing.  Maybe the plan is to groom the kid along side Weber.

Im sure he'll get a shot at training camp. I suspect that if that is the plan (a good positional defensman to play next to Weber) that Romanov may have the inside track.  I do think that Guhle has some upside we may not have seen yet... 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.