The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Expansion Draft

campabee82

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

This is just speculation right now though isnt it? The lists dont have to be in until later today & probably wont be leaked for a bit after that... 

Would be shocked, if he's exposed, if Seattle doesnt take him.  26 years old with a 72 point season under his belt?  

Report: Blue Jackets 'planning' to leave Max Domi unprotected (msn.com)

So no trades today for us. One hour left now to sign someone like Perry, Frolik, Lehkonen, Armia, etc. If we don't, then by default, the Habs will need to expose Byron and one of Drouin or Evans. Odds are high that they're planning on exposing Byron and Drouin, and if they're doing that, it's because they highly doubt Drouin is coming back to Montreal next year. Either they think he's missing some or all of next year or that he's done for good or that he just won't ever play in Montreal again. The next hour will be telling in that dossier.

With Adin Hill going from Phoenix to SJ, that moves Allen up the list of goalies likely to be picked by Seattle. Still leave Driedger, Jarry, someone from Washington, Holtby, Bishop, etc. as other options though.

43 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

So no trades today for us. One hour left now to sign someone like Perry, Frolik, Lehkonen, Armia, etc. If we don't, then by default, the Habs will need to expose Byron and one of Drouin or Evans. Odds are high that they're planning on exposing Byron and Drouin, and if they're doing that, it's because they highly doubt Drouin is coming back to Montreal next year. Either they think he's missing some or all of next year or that he's done for good or that he just won't ever play in Montreal again. The next hour will be telling in that dossier.

With Adin Hill going from Phoenix to SJ, that moves Allen up the list of goalies likely to be picked by Seattle. Still leave Driedger, Jarry, someone from Washington, Holtby, Bishop, etc. as other options though.

It might be a foregone conclusion that the Krakken are likely to pick Allen and we don't want to pay a strong retention cost of a prospect or draft choice to retain Jake. In that regard exposing Evans in addition to Byron becomes a moot point. Alternatively maybe MB has an inducement plan for Seattle to pick Byron who is still a serviceable forward for the Krakken - just a little steep on the value equation. I think it is unlikely the Krakken pick Evans and I would not get too worked up if he were to be claimed. I believe with the potential Drouin / Weber cap space, that MB is going to swing for the fences for an established centre and / or winger and / or one more solid D, and a serviceable backup goalie should Jake be claimed.

I was surprised Laffs picked up Jared McCann from Pittsburgh for relatively cheap - a prospect and a 7th round draft choice. He's not marquee but they must be thinking Kerfoot gets claimed by Seattle from their roster. 

Sunday's discussion on the released expansion draft lists will be intriguing. 

4 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Rumor is we've exposed Price 

Lol .. I read on Twitter ( Frank Seravelli ) that there was discussion of asking price to waive his NMC .  No confirmation it was done . We shall see tomorrow hen the list is revealed 

1 minute ago, Regis22 said:

Lol .. I read on Twitter that there was talk of asking price to waive his NMC .  We shall see tomorrow 

Given Weber going down and other changes the Habs window with Price seems to have shut, or is shutting.    His wife is from the state of Washington, he's from the west coast ... it all kind of makes sense.   I'm also reminded of comments he and Weber made pre-covid about winning it in the next 2-3 years and implied wanting out of MTL if it didn't happen

3 minutes ago, habsisme said:

It would be pretty crazy to expose Price, I think he would have trade value and I have no doubt Seattle would take him

Then what ? Montreal becomes the expansion franchise . 😂

Exposing Price would be the best kept secret in the hockey world. MB would receive death threats if that were to happen and Seattle jumped all over it. Sounds like Eklund and his whole family would be behind that kind of news.:lol:

Now Pierre Lebrun is saying that price agreed so they could protect jake Allen . Thinking being that Seattle wouldn’t want to pick up

the rest of his hefty contract 

39 minutes ago, habsisme said:

It would be pretty crazy to expose Price, I think he would have trade value and I have no doubt Seattle would take him

It's hard to know, but I suspect given the contract, he's negative value at this point (aka we'd need to retain salary and/or send assets the other way to move him).

Maybe after the last playoff run someone takes him, but given last couple regular seasons and that contract, it's hard to imagine. Seattle wouldn't want the contract, so only reason they'd take him would be a trade, but they'd need something 100% sure to go through setup ahead of time (they aren't going to take him hoping to trade in the future, like with Emelin, just too risky with that contract), and not many teams have the cap space to make that happen, even if they wanted to.

If this is true, smart move. Highly unlikely to be taken IMO, and even if he was, not sure it would be a net negative.

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Confirmed by Pierre Lebrun.

3 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Now Pierre Lebrun is saying that price agreed so they could protect jake Allen . Thinking being that Seattle wouldn’t want to pick up

the rest of his hefty contract 

If this is true it's a real gamble by MB. I'm nowhere near convinced Seattle wouldn't jump all over that pick. He gives them an instant star attraction a la Fluery in Vegas. Wouldn't even surprise me to see them have another deal worked out to flip him to another team for their starter and some added picks.

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Confirmed by Pierre Lebrun.

Wow, very smart move, can't believe Price and MB both agreed to this (because of egos, optics, etc).

Does anyone know: does the NHL just require Price waive his NMC for Seattle and the NMC would stick with him if he was taken (aka defeats the possibility of a "draft and trade" Price doesn't agree to)?

2 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

Wow, very smart move, can't believe Price and MB both agreed to this (because of egos, optics, etc).

Does anyone know: does the NHL just require Price waive his NMC for Seattle and the NMC would stick with him if he was taken (aka defeats the possibility of a "draft and trade" Price doesn't agree to)?

Was wondering the same thing.

So let's talk about this purported move to expose Price. It makes sense for the Habs. They didn't sign anyone (Perry, Lehkonen, Armia, Danault, etc.) so by default now, they have to expose two of Byron, Evans, and Drouin. With Danault going to test free agency, they simply cannot risk losing Evans, so it has to be Byron and Drouin who are left exposed. On D, they will protect Petry and Edmundson and you'd have to think based on MB's love affair with stay at home D men, Chiarot. Then again, with the Price move, maybe he understands more than we gave him credit for... so maybe they're protecting Kulak or Fleury, but I doubt it. So my guess now is that the protection list is

- Gallagher, JK, Toffoli, Anderson, Evans, Lehkonen, Danault

- Petry, Edmundson, Chiarot

- Allen

It means that Seattle will choose between Byron, Drouin, our UFA forwards, Kulak, Fleury, and Price. None of those are particularly fantastic options. We're thrilled if they take Byron off our hands, we couldn't get rid of his contract last year. Fleury is a RHD, which we lack, but he's a depth player, so not the end of the world to lose. Kulak is a bargain, but again replaceable if needed. I doubt Tatar or Armia are back anyways. So the two guys we could lose that matter most are Drouin and Price.

Again, I think we need to ask ourselves not what we think of this move but what it means MB thinks of them. He loves Price. Price just backstopped them to a SCF appearance. So for MB to risk losing him, it means he knows that Price doesn't have much trade value. If MB knew he could get a 1st rounder or a great package for Price, then why bother exposing him? Make the trade and recoup your cap space and the return asset. It also means that MB has concerns about Price's longevity. Yes, he was good this year, but is he worth 10.5M going forward? No. In other words, he may be a solid goalie at times now and you can still win with him, but his 10.5M cap space over the length of his contract is not worth his value.

From Seattle's perspective, we know they've stated over and over that they want to maintain cap flexibility. They want to be able to go after free agents and make trades where they can take advantage of other team's cap woes. So it sounds from their philosophy like Price doesn't fit. BUT... look at how MAF solidified the Vegas franchise. Price has just shown he can play well, especially if supported in tandem. And he's from BC, with his wife being from the Seattle area, so he instantly becomes your local franchise star who helps to sell tickets and pique fans' interest right away. You look at expansion teams like SJ and TB and it took them a long time to find their footing. Vegas really benefited from being competitive from day 1 and having some name-brand starpower. So maybe Price is an expensive contract, but there are off-ice advantages to drafting him and establishing your fan base too. Seattle has to get to cap floor and they have space, so I think they may dabble in 1-2 bigger contracts, even if they stay away from most of them. Tarasenko could be one. I think they may stay away from Duchene and Johansen (unless they're dealing them). But Price could be another.

From Carey's end, he's got to know it's unlikely he gets chosen. But he's also got to be okay with going if he does. So I think this also tells us that Price is putting the team first in trying to keep Allen but that if that plan doesn't work, he's fine with moving the family back to where he spends his off-seasons anyways and that there's upside for him there too.

Best-case scenario for us if Seattle chooses Price is that we've already swung a deal with them to expose him. This is a worked-out play where Seattle, the Habs, and Price have all agreed this will happen, and in exchange for giving them their star goalie and franchise player, Seattle is returning us something instead. For example, they draft a Tarasenko or Johansen for us and swing that player to us for a draft choice. We'd certainly have the cap space for it. So in essence, if we dealt a 2nd for Tarasenko, let's say, it would be dealing Price and a 2nd for Tarasenko and Allen. I don't see that as a bad move for us. As good as Price is, that contract is weighing us down. And if Weber is really done or at best a giant question mark, maybe Marc Bergevin has finally realized he needs to move on from some of his vets and build around the Suzuki's, Kotkaniemi's, and Romanov's of the team instead.

3 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

If this is true it's a real gamble by MB. I'm nowhere near convinced Seattle wouldn't jump all over that pick. He gives them an instant star attraction a la Fluery in Vegas. Wouldn't even surprise me to see them have another deal worked out to flip him to another team for their starter and some added picks.

Maybe, but I just don't see it. One of the advantages of being an expansion team is the clean slate (every other team pretty much is being dragged down by bad contracts). 10.5 million for 5 years for a 33 year old coming off 2 straight below-average seasons with possible injury concern. If you squint a bit you can see a Fleury comparison, but I think there's a lot more risk here and not that much more upside.

6 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Again, I don't see this as a bad move for us. If he doesn't get taken, he doesn't get taken and we lose a Kulak or a Drouin instead of Allen.

If he does get taken, we've just opened up 10.5M in cap space for the next 5 years and dumped a 34 year-old goalie who was great in this post-season but can't play more than 50 games in a year any more at a high level. I'd have to fathom MB knows his trade value, as I just posted above. If there was a fantastic deal to be had for a first and a blue chip prospect, I think he would have entertained that already. He is either confident Price won't be taken or he isn't losing sleep over it. I'm certainly not. I'd easily take Carey and Shea's cap space and move on. Sign Dougie. Sign an RFA. As Ron Francis himself said, cap flexibility is maybe a bigger asset than any player they're going to take in the ED.

4 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

Maybe, but I just don't see it. One of the advantages of being an expansion team is the clean slate (every other team pretty much is being dragged down by bad contracts). 10.5 million for 5 years for a 33 year old coming off 2 straight below-average seasons with possible injury concern. If you squint a bit you can see a Fleury comparison, but I think there's a lot more risk here and not that much more upside.

Upside, as I posted above is that for Seattle, he provides an image to the franchise as a star player, former league MVP, local boy, and goalie who just carried his team to the SCF. There's name-brand recognition there that gives you credibility as you build your fanbase. I think if they chose him, they'd do it knowing he won't quite live up to the contract, but they can win fans, win games, attract free agents, etc. by his being there, so it could help them in other ways outside of just the pick. As I posted, it's also entirely possible Seattle, Montreal, and Price have already worked out a deal to make this happen. Maybe everyone's on board.

Yes but,,, Price becomes a lot more attractive as a trade chip if a team retains some of that salary. A franchise like Seattle has the Cap room to do just that if they flip him  for another teams starter and some high draft choices or prospects.

Don't even know if a player can make this call, but Chris Johnston is reporting that Price has only waived his NMC for the ED and cannot be flipped to another team without his agreement. So that largely gets taken off the table unless there's a deal already worked out amongst the parties.

• H_T_L locked this topic