The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Expansion Draft

campabee82

Just now, BigTed3 said:

Upside, as I posted above is that for Seattle, he provides an image to the franchise as a star player, former league MVP, local boy, and goalie who just carried his team to the SCF. There's name-brand recognition there that gives you credibility as you build your fanbase. I think if they chose him, they'd do it knowing he won't quite live up to the contract, but they can win fans, win games, attract free agents, etc. by his being there, so it could help them in other ways outside of just the pick. As I posted, it's also entirely possible Seattle, Montreal, and Price have already worked out a deal to make this happen. Maybe everyone's on board.

Possibly, but I think the "brand-name-recognition" is outweighed by his complete lack of personality in public, even for a hockey player.  I don't know you want a face of the franchise who sounds like he's at a funeral after a win.

2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Yes but,,, Price becomes a lot more attractive as a trade chip if a team retains some of that salary. A franchise like Seattle has the Cap room to do just that if they flip him  for another teams starter and some high draft choices or prospects.

I was thinking that, but for 5 years that's risky. If he had 2 or 3 years left on the deal that would seem more likely, but chopping off 5-10% of your cap space for the next 5 years is a big commitment: would need a really big return (likely multiple firsts) to justify that.

1 minute ago, Graeme-1 said:

Possibly, but I think the "brand-name-recognition" is outweighed by his complete lack of personality in public, even for a hockey player.  I don't know you want a face of the franchise who sounds like he's at a funeral after a win.

Montreal chose him 5th overall knowing this. They stuck with him over fan-favorite Halak. They preferred this personality type as the face of their franchise (and doubled down by bringing in Weber, who has the same personality, as their captain) over guys like Subban, who they shipped out. Ron Francis himself was not a flashy player. He was all business. So I don't see this as being a deterrent to them.

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Don't even know if a player can make this call, but Chris Johnston is reporting that Price has only waived his NMC for the ED and cannot be flipped to another team without his agreement. So that largely gets taken off the table unless there's a deal already worked out amongst the parties.

That would be interesting to find out if he can do that. I would think when you get traded that clause gets nullified.

Just now, H_T_L said:

That would be interesting to find out if he can do that. I would think when you get traded that clause gets nullified.

Multiple people reporting the same thing now, so I'm believing it. It sounds like if your NTC/NMC hasn't kicked in then you lose it if you're dealt (like Subban did). But otherwise, you can waive it once and then keep it following that one transaction that you approved. So in this case, Price has only waived it for this specific ED but not for any other trades.

1 minute ago, Regis22 said:

Well Price and family took off to an Airbnb in Kelowna a couple of days ago . Spur of the moment decision 

He's from that area. They go to BC every summer.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Multiple people reporting the same thing now, so I'm believing it. It sounds like if your NTC/NMC hasn't kicked in then you lose it if you're dealt (like Subban did). But otherwise, you can waive it once and then keep it following that one transaction that you approved. So in this case, Price has only waived it for this specific ED but not for any other trades.

If that's the case then Seattle probably balks at picking him without the flexibility of flipping him. Who knows though,,,, could draft him strictly for promotional purposes.

16 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Montreal chose him 5th overall knowing this. They stuck with him over fan-favorite Halak. They preferred this personality type as the face of their franchise (and doubled down by bringing in Weber, who has the same personality, as their captain) over guys like Subban, who they shipped out. Ron Francis himself was not a flashy player. He was all business. So I don't see this as being a deterrent to them.

We took Price and kept him over Halak because we thought he was the best hockey player, not as a marketing "face of the franchise" move though. Francis likely is concerned with building the best hockey team, and taking on Price's contract isn't the way to do that.

His owner or president might pressure him into a "marketing" pick, but I just don't think Price fits the bill there (and we can't really compare how to market the "100-year storied history Montreal Canadians" with a US expansion franchise).

10 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Makes sense, players can waive for specific teams, etc, and the team acquiring them knows about the NMC, but you can also usually count on the NHL to have some rules that make no logical sense.

5 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

We took Price and kept him over Halak because we thought he was the best hockey player, not as a marketing "face of the franchise" move though. Yzerman likely is concerned with building the best hockey team, and taking on Price's contract isn't the way to do that.

His owner or president might pressure him into a "marketing" pick, but I just don't think Price fits the bill there (and we can't really compare how to market the "100-year storied history Montreal Canadians" with a US expansion franchise).

Yzerman - you meant Francis I’m sure. I do think they chose best player plus character fit 

Just now, claremont said:

Yzerman - you meant Francis I’m sure. I do think they chose best player plus character fit 

Lol yes, I always confuse those two (90s-2000s well-respected star players who became the rare multi-team GMs in the last decade).

28 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

From Carey's end, he's got to know it's unlikely he gets chosen. But he's also got to be okay with going if he does. So I think this also tells us that Price is putting the team first in trying to keep Allen but that if that plan doesn't work, he's fine with moving the family back to where he spends his off-seasons anyways and that there's upside for him there too.

This is a fair point about where Price and family might consider living with connections to BC and Seattle ...to be honest I think something has already been worked out ...the last thing anyone expected was for Price to be left exposed ...I believe he'll be taken by Seattle and  there will be considerations or a deal for Montreal down the road ...otherwise why take the chance and even more to the point why would Price waive to begin with unless the option was a plus for him ?

34 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Don't even know if a player can make this call, but Chris Johnston is reporting that Price has only waived his NMC for the ED and cannot be flipped to another team without his agreement. So that largely gets taken off the table unless there's a deal already worked out amongst the parties.

This definitely would make it seem unlikely he gets taken.  Based on everything ive heard about seattle, i dont see them having interest in price, but the concern I had was that one of the other 30 teams would want a pick & trade but if thats off the table... then i think he's safe.

Ballsy move if this works out the way the team wants it to. 

Whether he gets chosen or not, it's the right move. Allen was on a lot of mock expansion drafts. If you look at who else we'll be exposing, there isn't much else there. Drouin is the best player but he's an unknown a to whether he plays and his contract isn't cheap. Allen was the most obvious choice, and now we've removed that option. So now it's a win-win IMO.

Either the Kraken take Price and we save 10.5M for 5 years or they choose Drouin and free up 5.5M or they choose a depth player. For my money, the guy who best fits the bill of what Ron Francis has said he wants is Brett Kulak. Great analytics, lowish salary, no long-term deal. Ideal pick for Seattle out of what's available. If MB comes out with one more surprise, I'd love to see him protect Kulak and leave one of Edmundson or Chiarot available and see what happens. At some point, maybe Paul Byron becomes the best available option!

1 minute ago, Regis22 said:

Maybe there’s an agreement in place , protect Allen , we won’t take price, but we will take “ ? “ 

But then why not just make that agreement about not taking Allen and stay out of the headlines? I don't think there's an agreement not to take Price.

Either this is a calculated risk by MB that they won't want his contract OR if there's a deal in place, I think it's a deal for Price to be chosen. If any deal is in place, I think it would be because the Habs approached Price and asked if he'd be willing to go to Seattle. As I said, maybe there's a deal with Seattle where we expose Price for them to take and in exchange, they're drafting someone else for us, like a Tarasenko or a Brady Skjei or a Vince Dunn or a Jake Bean.

I also wouldn't be totally shocked if they took Byron if we don't expose anyone else particularly enticing: he's overpaid, but it's only for 2 more years and the salary isn't that high, and he's a reasonably good overall & fun player to watch.  Longer-term, a player like Fleury who's younger and has a bit more upside is probably the better choice, but they also need to ice a team next season, and Byron wouldn't be the worst option there.

Drouin is the really interesting one. If he's exposed over Lehkonen and Evans, that suggests to me MB thinks either he's done in the NHL, or even if he isn't, that his trade value is near zero. In that situation, would Seattle risk taking him? I assume they can't talk to him ahead of time and MB has no real reason to help them out unless he wants them to take Drouin over Fleury or someone (although Drouin could leak something to Seattle I guess). If you're Seattle, do you risk taking him not knowing what's going on? If he never plays again, you've both wasted your expansion pick, and that contract might cause some problems for the cap and/or real money in the future (not sure how insurance, LTIR, etc would work given the unique situation).

10 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

I also wouldn't be totally shocked if they took Byron if we don't expose anyone else particularly enticing: he's overpaid, but it's only for 2 more years and the salary isn't that high, and he's a reasonably good overall & fun player to watch.  Longer-term, a player like Fleury who's younger and has a bit more upside is probably the better choice, but they also need to ice a team next season, and Byron wouldn't be the worst option there.

Drouin is the really interesting one. If he's exposed over Lehkonen and Evans, that suggests to me MB thinks either he's done in the NHL, or even if he isn't, that his trade value is near zero. In that situation, would Seattle risk taking him? I assume they can't talk to him ahead of time and MB has no real reason to help them out unless he wants them to take Drouin over Fleury or someone (although Drouin could leak something to Seattle I guess). If you're Seattle, do you risk taking him not knowing what's going on? If he never plays again, you've both wasted your expansion pick, and that contract might cause some problems for the cap and/or real money in the future (not sure how insurance, LTIR, etc would work given the unique situation).

I suppose a third explanation if MB exposes Drouin could also be some 3d-chess where MB thinks that by exposing him, Seattle will be worried that he's done, and therefore won't pick him, thus letting MB protect a different player.  However, this seems overly risky (Drouin could easily leak that he's willing to play in Seattle, or MB could predict Seattle's response incorrectly) to protect a bottom-six forward, so I think if Drouin is exposed, it means he has little to no value.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

But then why not just make that agreement about not taking Allen and stay out of the headlines? I don't think there's an agreement not to take Price.

Either this is a calculated risk by MB that they won't want his contract OR if there's a deal in place, I think it's a deal for Price to be chosen. If any deal is in place, I think it would be because the Habs approached Price and asked if he'd be willing to go to Seattle. As I said, maybe there's a deal with Seattle where we expose Price for them to take and in exchange, they're drafting someone else for us, like a Tarasenko or a Brady Skjei or a Vince Dunn or a Jake Bean.

I feel it is something along these lines. if it is I see it as potential game changer for us in some ways if the right moves are made afterwards. we got the last good years out of Price and perhaps Webber and will have t he cash to go hunting for talent to replace them. it could be really good.

9 hours ago, Regis22 said:

So price’s wife commented on Instagram , “don’t worry guys , things will make more sense soon “

Whatever that means 🤷‍♂️

This almost implies there's a deal in place. If this was just a calculated risk by MB to expose Price without knowing what will happen, then why would Angela Price be sure things will become clear soon. So it sounds like not only is there a deal in place but that Price is part of the agreement (which makes sense, as I said, since he had to sign off on everything). One theory proposed was that Price could be claimed and traded back to the Habs in exchange for compensation so that the Kraken retain some salary (ie you take Price and swap him back to us, keeping 40% of his salary, and in exchange we'll give you our 1st rounder). I don't even know if this is allowed though. Can you trade a player back to his original team? I felt like this was against the rules for Vegas to do... the other theory, which I presented before, is that Price is okay with going to Seattle and that there's a deal in place for Seattle to send us another asset in exchange for making Price available to them to be the face of their franchise.

• H_T_L locked this topic