The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Expansion Draft

campabee82

Eric Engels said the NHL would likely not allow a trade-back because teams can't have pre-arranged deals for this as part of the ED. So it's not leaving a lot of options outside of a pre-arranged deal to send Price to Seattle and get something else back in return. To be honest, I'd hate to find out we gave up picks/prospects as part of a deal. I think that clearly didn't work out well for anyone in the Vegas draft. Better off just letting the expansion team choose one of your depth guys. I'd be more excited if I find out we got out of Price's contract and acquired some other asset in the deal. That would be a great stroke from MB. As good as Price was in the post-season, he's 34 next season and signed until he's 38. Just look at Lundqvist and Luongo and so on at that age. Yeah, they played, but there was a clear drop-off in play after 35. We can't afford to be sentimental about hanging on to older stars. When they're washed up, cut your losses and move on.

I don't think MB approached Price to request waiving his NMC, my sense is this was Price's decision. Perhaps Price approached MB and asked for a trade to Seattle and MB asked if he would waive his NMC to be selected (with a deal in place) by Seattle. Is it possible that MB made a deal for Seattle to select and sign Dreidger and maybe 2nd OVA or another peice for Price?

Protected

Josh Anderson (F)

Joel Armia (F)

Jake Evans (F)

Brendan Gallagher (F)

Jesperi Kotkaniemi (F)

Artturi Lehkonen (F)

Tyler Toffoli (F)

Ben Chiarot (D)

Joel Edmundson (D)

Jeff Petry (D)

Jake Allen (G)

Available

Brandon Baddock (F)

Joseph Blandisi (F)

Paul Byron (F)

Phillip Danault (F)

Laurent Dauphin (F)

Jonathan Drouin (F)

Michael Frolik (F)

Charles Hudon (F)

Corey Perry (F)

Michael Pezzetta (F)

Eric Staal (F)

Tomas Tatar (F)

Lukas Vejdemo (F)

Jordan Weal (F)

Cale Fleury (D)

Erik Gustafsson (D)

Brett Kulak (D)

Jon Merrill (D)

Gustav Olofsson (D)

Xavier Ouellet (D)

Shea Weber (D)

Charlie Lindgren (G)

Michael McNiven (G)

Carey Price (G)

I think i read somewhere that Price had a huge bonus due him before next season. Might be another reason Seattle could pass. If Price and Weber aren't targeted, then that leaves Kulak and Fleury as the next best option for them,,, unless they have info on JD that the rest of us know zip about. Can't see Dano being of interest to them as a UFA 

17 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Well Price and family took off to an Airbnb in Kelowna a couple of days ago . Spur of the moment decision 

17 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

He's from that area. They go to BC every summer.

Yes he has a farm about an hour away from me.  I am not sure why they went to the B&B first but maybe its somewhere they've been planning to go / close to friends etc. 

16 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Whether he gets chosen or not, it's the right move. Allen was on a lot of mock expansion drafts. If you look at who else we'll be exposing, there isn't much else there. Drouin is the best player but he's an unknown a to whether he plays and his contract isn't cheap. Allen was the most obvious choice, and now we've removed that option. So now it's a win-win IMO.

Either the Kraken take Price and we save 10.5M for 5 years or they choose Drouin and free up 5.5M or they choose a depth player. For my money, the guy who best fits the bill of what Ron Francis has said he wants is Brett Kulak. Great analytics, lowish salary, no long-term deal. Ideal pick for Seattle out of what's available. If MB comes out with one more surprise, I'd love to see him protect Kulak and leave one of Edmundson or Chiarot available and see what happens. At some point, maybe Paul Byron becomes the best available option!

My guess is that they take either Kulak or Byron tbh.    There's an outside chance that Price actually wanted to go to seattle & this was all planned but even that seems unlikely. If MB really thought he was truly going to lose Price i think he would have protect him & tried to trade him after the ED/Draft. 

15 hours ago, Regis22 said:

So price’s wife commented on Instagram , “don’t worry guys , things will make more sense soon “

Whatever that means 🤷‍♂️

I saw this when she posted. Im not convinced it has anything to do with Carey.  She runs a very successful clothing business so its entirely possible it was about something else. 

3 hours ago, RCAF48 said:

IMO the list is about as good as possible under the circumstances.

Agree.  A series of gutsy moves but when you consider the guys most likely to be selected by the Kraken are Kulak, Byron or maybe Drouin or Fleury ... thats pretty ideal considering what we could have lost. 

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I think i read somewhere that Price had a huge bonus due him before next season. Might be another reason Seattle could pass. If Price and Weber aren't targeted, then that leaves Kulak and Fleury as the next best option for them,,, unless they have info on JD that the rest of us know zip about. Can't see Dano being of interest to them as a UFA 

Yes.  $11m   So the Kraken would be on the hook for a ton of money right off the bat.  Im not sure what their situation is, financially though. That may not factor in as much as the cap thing. 

A few things

1. MB would not have been able to expose Price without the explicit support of Mr. Molson so anybody that thinks MB will lose his job if Seattle picks Price is mistaken.

2. It is highly unlikely that Seattle will take Price at his salary cap. That would mean an expansion team would have 17% of their cap taken up by goaltenders, one of which will always not be playing on any given night. Many ridicule the Canadiens for being in this situation so I would doubt that Seattle would want to be in this situation. As well, when the GM of the Kraken says that his best asset is salary cap part of what he means is having cap flexibility, something he will need going forward, and taking Price would take away a great deal of that flexibility.

3. Seattle is home for Price's wife and his kids will be very close to both sets of grandparents so if he winds up there he will stay there. His NMC is only waived for the expansion draft and he will have to approve any other transactions.

4. Let's assume that he approves a trade to a contender, what does Seattle receive in return. By their very nature contenders generally only have middling draft pick, prospects and depth players available for trade. They do not trade the players that make them contenders. So any return would probably be a late first round draft choice, one or two prospects that may or may not ever break into the NHL and the contender would probably try to pawn off a third or fourth line player who is receiving first line money. Hardly the return you would expect for Carey Price.

5. If Seattle sweetened the pot by offering to retain salary, say 50%, then whatever roster player came back the other way would have an effective cap hit of his salary plus the retained salary. Again, that would probably be for a third liner already receiving first line dollars. That is lousy cap management.

6. If Seattle does take Price then MB suddenly has a whole whack of extra cap space to sign the teams free agents and then go after some quality free agents on the market. If Weber goes on the LTIR on top of that MB would have that precious commodity of a ton of cap flexibility in a flat cap environment. As well, Allen then becomes Number 1a and we can see if Primeau can become 1b. Personally, the idea of the likes of Primeau, KK, Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov and maybe Poehling all developing together under Captain Brendan Gallagher is intriguing. In three or four years that team would be a force.

7. If Price stays then the Canadiens lose one of Kulak, Byron or perhaps Drouin and the Canadiens' off season proceeds as expected.

On balance I believe that Carey Price will be a Hab when the season starts but I guess we will have to see.

6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

This almost implies there's a deal in place. If this was just a calculated risk by MB to expose Price without knowing what will happen, then why would Angela Price be sure things will become clear soon. So it sounds like not only is there a deal in place but that Price is part of the agreement (which makes sense, as I said, since he had to sign off on everything). One theory proposed was that Price could be claimed and traded back to the Habs in exchange for compensation so that the Kraken retain some salary (ie you take Price and swap him back to us, keeping 40% of his salary, and in exchange we'll give you our 1st rounder). I don't even know if this is allowed though. Can you trade a player back to his original team? I felt like this was against the rules for Vegas to do... the other theory, which I presented before, is that Price is okay with going to Seattle and that there's a deal in place for Seattle to send us another asset in exchange for making Price available to them to be the face of their franchise.

That was my first thought, but it also could just mean Price & the team are confident he won't be taken so it will "all make sense" once the ED is done and Price isn't selected.

The trade-back theory, even if allowed, seems unlikely due to the 5 years remaining. If it was 2 or 3 years, sure, Seattle might be willing to buy some draft picks, but for 5 years I can't see it: that's a lot of real money and even if you they cap space to spare this year, who knows their position 4 or 5 years from now (look at Vegas and what cap flexibility allowed them to do around that point).  If I was Seattle GM, I'd only do it for multiple (3-5) first rounders,.  Even just 1 year of Marleau (although slightly higher value per year than a trade-back would be) took a first.

Seattle paying us to expose Price is a possibility, although the other possibility is the opposite: we're paying Seattle to take Price (eg. Price + 1st for a 3rd) as a salary dump. The problem with both of these theories is neither really requires exposing Price, since we could just setup a trade: Price + something for something + guarantee they'll pick the rights to Eric Staal or someone we don't care about losing in the ED. That doesn't disprove the theories, but it feels like if the goal was a Price trade, there's less dramatic ways to do that that the player / team would prefer. Plus Lebrun's recent tweet sure sounds like this was an unexpected move by Seattle. 

I suspect this is just what it looks like at face value: a gamble to keep Allen, where even if we lose the gamble, arguably the outcome is still pretty good for both Montreal and Price.

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I don't think that will be a factor: a new expansion franchise should be in good financial shape. It's all about the cap hit IMO.

4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Protecting Armia over Drouin really says a lot about JD's situation going forward IMO.

Technically, since we had to expose two forwards under contract or qualified RFA, it wasn't Drouin vs Armia, but rather Drouin vs Lehknonen or Evans.  Alternatively, they could have signed someone like Perry to expose.

With that said, exposing Drouin rather than signing someone or protecting a bottom six forward still says a lot (especially since even if he wants out, you'd think JD might have some trade value).

I was kind of surprised we protected Armia over Danault. Must mean we're trying to bring Armia back and are close on a deal, while Danault is unlikely to come back without first testing the waters (which was previously reported).

I think Seattle would be stupid not to take him regardless of the cap hit. 

If Price is taken the only way I wouldn't be upset is if Gallagher and Petry are also traded and we have a real rebuild. Trying to win now without Price will be near impossible

25 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Various reports that Seattle are internally discussing whether to select price or not . 

They'd be crazy not to at least discuss/consider it.   As he showed in the playoffs, he can be a difference maker - no other player who will be exposed can do that to the degree price can. He'd instantly give the team credibility and he'd be the face of the franchise. 

If the cost was even a few million less (or term was just a few years less) I think they'd be inclined to take him but I just dont think its going to happen now but we shall see.

Wouldnt shock me either way to be completely honest. 

Just now, maas_art said:

They'd be crazy not to at least discuss/consider it.   As he showed in the playoffs, he can be a difference maker - no other player who will be exposed can do that to the degree price can. He'd instantly give the team credibility and he'd be the face of the franchise. 

If the cost was even a few million less (or term was just a few years less) I think they'd be inclined to take him but I just dont think its going to happen now but we shall see.

Wouldnt shock me either way to be completely honest. 

I think you have to discuss it, but would still be a stupid idea IMO to take on probably the second worst goalie contract in the league.

As a hockey move, yes he's had some great playoffs, but he's been below average in the regular season for multiple years now (2 of 4 years barely breaking .900). Only 1 of the last 4 years has he actually had a legitimately good regular season. And while goalies can age better than other positions, at 34 you wouldn't think this trend is likely to reverse (I guess MAF might give them some hope though). But for 13% of your cap for five years into the future, I don't think that's enough (the cap hit alone isn't the issue, it's that the thing persists for 5 more years). 

As a marketing move, he's a big name and even if his recent play doesn't back it up, a lot of people in the league still think of him as a top goaltender.  With that said, while his name's marketable, his personality isn't (MAF is used as a comparison, but he's also far more charismatic than Price), so if you're going to make a bad hockey move for marketing reasons, I think there's better options (bring in PK?)

1 hour ago, Graeme-1 said:

I think you have to discuss it, but would still be a stupid idea IMO to take on probably the second worst goalie contract in the league.

As a hockey move, yes he's had some great playoffs, but he's been below average in the regular season for multiple years now (2 of 4 years barely breaking .900). Only 1 of the last 4 years has he actually had a legitimately good regular season. And while goalies can age better than other positions, at 34 you wouldn't think this trend is likely to reverse (I guess MAF might give them some hope though). But for 13% of your cap for five years into the future, I don't think that's enough (the cap hit alone isn't the issue, it's that the thing persists for 5 more years). 

As a marketing move, he's a big name and even if his recent play doesn't back it up, a lot of people in the league still think of him as a top goaltender.  With that said, while his name's marketable, his personality isn't (MAF is used as a comparison, but he's also far more charismatic than Price), so if you're going to make a bad hockey move for marketing reasons, I think there's better options (bring in PK?)

I believe CAP flexibility for the next 3 years of relatively flat CAP will be paramount. For that reason, I believe that Seattle stays away from the Price contract.

With Price out of the running, and assuming Seattle goes mostly cheap on their 30 selections (to preserve CAP room for bad contract trades/draft choice acquisition or signing a couple of marquee free agents), I believe Kulak is the leading candidate to be plucked from our roster. One of the requirements in the 30 selections is that 20 of the 30 selections have to be under contract for the 2021-22 season. That means they can only pick 10 RFA contracts that are currently expired and being renegotiated. Cale Fleury falls into that window where he would be 1 of those 10, and in my mock expansion draft, there are 10 other 2021 RFA's that IMO have better upside and credentials than Fleury. That would leave Paul Byron at $3.5M or the enigma Drouin with many question marks at $5.5M per as alternative choices. One last choice if they feel they have sufficient defensemen depth would be to take Xavier Ouellette and save $1.1M vs. Kulak's cap hit. Summarizing this point, Kulak is the better value acquisition vs Byron, and a better know commodity vs. Fleury or Drouin.

My Mock Expansion draft to meet the 9 defensemen has Dunn, Bean as slam dunks, Carson Soucy, Calvin De Haan is my most expensive defenseman because Chicago has a crap list to pick value from but they could go cheaper, Dean Kukera, Andrej Sekara, Troy Stecher, Kulak, Andy Green (because the islanders left crap), Robert Hagg, Travis Dermott - 11 defenseman vs 9 required. The goalies are Driedger, Casey DeSmith, Braden Holtby and Vitek Vanecek (even though only 3 are required) - Cap with forwards comes in at $55.8M preserving almost $30M in cap room, and meets the minimum cap floor required. 

More news.....

A day after we learned that Carey Price would be left unprotected, and hours after that was made official, a report surfaced that Price was dealing with a hip injury that would require several months to heal, likely carrying into the start of the 2021-22 season.

The news may help to explain Price’s exclusion from the protection list beyond just the team trying to protect the more enticing contract of Jake Allen. Seattle was surely made aware of the issue when the Montreal Canadiens’ list was revealed, and would have had that info from the start as they try to select their one player from the 30 participating teams (Las Vegas excluded).

Seattle still has several goaltenders to choose from (they need to select at least three), and it’s still not out of the question that they would take on Price’s contract and wait for him to return to health before he becomes their starter moving forward. We’ll learn what their strategy is on Thursday when they full roster is revealed.

20 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

More news.....

A day after we learned that Carey Price would be left unprotected, and hours after that was made official, a report surfaced that Price was dealing with a hip injury that would require several months to heal, likely carrying into the start of the 2021-22 season.

The news may help to explain Price’s exclusion from the protection list beyond just the team trying to protect the more enticing contract of Jake Allen. Seattle was surely made aware of the issue when the Montreal Canadiens’ list was revealed, and would have had that info from the start as they try to select their one player from the 30 participating teams (Las Vegas excluded).

Seattle still has several goaltenders to choose from (they need to select at least three), and it’s still not out of the question that they would take on Price’s contract and wait for him to return to health before he becomes their starter moving forward. We’ll learn what their strategy is on Thursday when they full roster is revealed.

well, one thing is for sure.  the "2021-2022 injury thread" will be a hot topic next season. 

:4224:

Ran a mock draft on capfriendly with what I think Seattle could look to do... a few things became obvious quickly:

- There are a handful of choices that just make sense... good young players who aren't on expensive long-term contracts. This includes Vince Dunn, Jake Bean, and Haydn Fleury as defenceman.

- There are others who fit this bill who are maybe less obvious choices, but guys like Kieffer Bellows, Mason Appleton, Travis Dermott, etc.

- The goalies left who make sense for Seattle are guys they've been rumored to be looking at, Driedger and Vanecek being two of them. I think they look at other guys like Holtby, Bishop, and DeSmith, but I went with Bishop because Dallas didn't have interesting options whereas Pittsburgh had a few other guys who made sense too.

- There will be money to spend on a few expensive guys. Maybe it's Tarasenko. Maybe it's Giordano. But I went with Ryan Johansen, given that he's still only 28 and that the center depth in the draft isn't that great. I also took Zucker, Domi, Gourde, and Drouin... I could see the Habs losing Kulak or Fleury as well, but there's upside with Drouin there that the other two don't have, and if he ends up on LTIR, Seattle doesn't lose cap flexibility.

- The hardest thing to do was find 20 guys on signed deals (ie not unsigned RFA's or UFA's). Easy to meet the cap requirements and easy to find enough forwards, D men, and goalies, but lots of teams have a boatload of unsigned RFA's as their best options, and that made it tricky.

- So this was my team:

Ritchie-Johansen-Zucker

Drouin-Domi-Virtanen

Donato-Gourde-Compher

Shore-Bellows-Appleton

Extras: Fischer, Gauthier, Merkley, Oglevie

Bean-Zadorov

Dermott-Dunn

Gostisbehere-H.Fleury

Extras: Stecher, Clague, Josh Brown, Kylington

Dreidger

Bishop

Vanecek

Kahkonen

All that to say that with Price' salary, it was near impossible to fit him in without running high on the cap unless they decided to forego any type of top 6 offensive players. And while Fleury or Kulak fit the bill as choices from us, they simply had better D men to choose from other teams. So Drouin (especially to reunite him with Domi) just made the most sense.

• H_T_L locked this topic