Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Expansion Draft


campabee82
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hmm hmm hmm. :ph34r:

Price made available. Drouin made available. We knew Weber would be made available. I wonder if Seattle takes a pass on all three given injuries, salaries, etc. I can't see them being interested in Byron, but... Who knows?

My prediction. They take Drouin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

TSN reporting Price will see a doctor about surgery on his knee along with having a hip looked at.

whatever it is, if surgery can fix it, I'm all for Price doing it no matter how much time he loses. We all saw that he can still do it when he's rested. I thing the same with Weber, miss the time and you might come back close to what you used to be

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

This reminds of the year when Montreal didn’t resign markov . They had no replacement in the waiting and brought in a bunch of nothings 

I could easily see it turning out that way. We have tons of cap space but does Hamilton or Landeskog want to come here? I can see us being well below the cap this year 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

whatever it is, if surgery can fix it, I'm all for Price doing it no matter how much time he loses. We all saw that he can still do it when he's rested. I thing the same with Weber, miss the time and you might come back close to what you used to be

We'd be missing a starter, any ideas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kinot-2 said:

We'd be missing a starter, any ideas?

I think a lot of goalie will do in tandem with Allen, maybe even Primeau, in terms of the regular season. Price was horrible during the regular season last year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I think a lot of goalie will do in tandem with Allen, maybe even Primeau, in terms of the regular season. Price was horrible during the regular season last year

Ya, but can Allen and Primeau take us to the promised land?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya, but can Allen and Primeau take us to the promised land?

Could Price next year?  This year seemed more like "lightning in a bottle" than anything else.  I think we have a lot of great young players but if we can turn Price & Weber into younger players (or at least their cap space) who mature at the same time as Suzuki, JK, CC, Romanov etc - while guys like Toffoli and Anderson and Gallagher and Petry still have gas in the tank... we could be contenders for several years in a row. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Could Price next year?  This year seemed more like "lightning in a bottle" than anything else.  I think we have a lot of great young players but if we can turn Price & Weber into younger players (or at least their cap space) who mature at the same time as Suzuki, JK, CC, Romanov etc - while guys like Toffoli and Anderson and Gallagher and Petry still have gas in the tank... we could be contenders for several years in a row. 

imho I think Price can take us to the promised land. I don't think the playoffs were just luck, I think the rest helped him immensely and getting his injuries taken care of will make him better too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, habsisme said:

imho I think Price can take us to the promised land. I don't think the playoffs were just luck, I think the rest helped him immensely and getting his injuries taken care of will make him better too

it wouldnt surprise me - especially if we make upgrades in other areas - but i also dont think its an absolute guarantee.

We're definitely at a crossroads right now & what MB does this summer will have huge implications on the team going forward.

Im still hoping he pulls a Kucherov (now a verb): whereby Weber comes back for the playoffs but we had his cash to sign Dougie Hamilton & we go into the post season with a massive upgrade (not just Hamilton but a rested and healthy Weber) over this past run. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, habsisme said:

whatever it is, if surgery can fix it, I'm all for Price doing it no matter how much time he loses. We all saw that he can still do it when he's rested. I thing the same with Weber, miss the time and you might come back close to what you used to be

I agree completely. Let Price and Weber both take the season off and use their cap space and for Hamilton and another player and have both come back for the playoffs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Just noticed that Seattle could take Cale Fleury and Haydn Fleury (from Anaheim). They're brothers, right?

You are correct however just to reunite brother synergy? They aren't Sedins and I would be surprised if we are scouting Ryan Suzuki on that basis. Respectfully, I am not intending to sarcastically snipe at your remark, just stating some thoughts. 

Seattle cannot take more than 10 RFA's with CHEAP contracts that have expired for 2021 and need to be renegotiated for the 2021-22 season. There are at least 10 unprotected RFA's with expired contracts, that have far better achievements and ceilings than Cale (Danton Heinen, Nick Ritchie, Jake Bean, Vince Dunn, Ryan Donato, Dominik Kahun, Andreas Athananasiu etc.) - All of them have a better body of work than Cale. Unless Seattle is going ultra cheap, the chances of them selecting Cale Fleury is IMO virtually nil vs. spend $1.1M more and get a player like Kulak. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, maas_art said:

Could Price next year?  This year seemed more like "lightning in a bottle" than anything else.  I think we have a lot of great young players but if we can turn Price & Weber into younger players (or at least their cap space) who mature at the same time as Suzuki, JK, CC, Romanov etc - while guys like Toffoli and Anderson and Gallagher and Petry still have gas in the tank... we could be contenders for several years in a row. 

 

10 hours ago, habsisme said:

imho I think Price can take us to the promised land. I don't think the playoffs were just luck, I think the rest helped him immensely and getting his injuries taken care of will make him better too

I like both of your thoughts - I am close to a coin flip on the Price claiming by Seattle. If he were to be claimed, I like the additional cap space that comes with it, if used properly for some impact players especially to surround Caufield / Suzuki, and to upgrade the D with some mobility, but then we need a strong goalie tandem. On the down side, Elite goalies don't grow on trees, and one hit wonders like Bobrovsky's contract or goalie gambles like the Anderseive choker in Toronto totally deflate the winning objective. With Weber's cap space and Drouin's likely LTIR cap space or trade dump, we should have sufficient monies to achieve better balance while retaining Price. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, claremont said:

You are correct however just to reunite brother synergy? They aren't Sedins and I would be surprised if we are scouting Ryan Suzuki on that basis. Respectfully, I am not intending to sarcastically snipe at your remark, just stating some thoughts. 

Seattle cannot take more than 10 RFA's with CHEAP contracts that have expired for 2021 and need to be renegotiated for the 2021-22 season. There are at least 10 unprotected RFA's with expired contracts, that have far better achievements and ceilings than Cale (Danton Heinen, Nick Ritchie, Jake Bean, Vince Dunn, Ryan Donato, Dominik Kahun, Andreas Athananasiu etc.) - All of them have a better body of work than Cale. Unless Seattle is going ultra cheap, the chances of them selecting Cale Fleury is IMO virtually nil vs. spend $1.1M more and get a player like Kulak. 

Oh yeah, I was mostly talking about the Fleury brothers in jest. Kind of, "Maybe they'll take Cale from us and Haydn from Anaheim and have a brother duo on the back end for fun!" :ph34r: :lol: But yeah, I am highly doubtful Seattle take either of those dudes.  As you mentioned, way better RFA players to choose from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Oh yeah, I was mostly talking about the Fleury brothers in jest. Kind of, "Maybe they'll take Cale from us and Haydn from Anaheim and have a brother duo on the back end for fun!" :ph34r: :lol: But yeah, I am highly doubtful Seattle take either of those dudes.  As you mentioned, way better RFA players to choose from.

I still think they will go the safe route and take Kulak or Byron. 

That said, I wouldnt be totally shocked to see them take Price or even Weber.  Both of those guys are 100% "Ron Francis" sort of no-nonsense players.  It definitely feels like MB is playing chicken - possibly overstating injuries - but I also think he's come to peace with possibly losing one of them (and gaining their cap space). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Seattle Kraken continue to take a "deep dive" on the possibility of selecting Montreal Canadiens All-Star goalie Carey Price in Wednesday's expansion draft, according to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun. 

LeBrun also notes that he suspects the Kraken may approach the Habs in regards to what it would take to not select Price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I highly doubt MB would offer them something to NOT pick Price. If that were the case, then why not expose Allen and offer them something NOT to pick him? I imagine it would have been a cheaper ask.

I can maybe see the conversation going more like,,, what would you give us to select the player you want us to pick?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The rumor I read is that Price asked to be exposed.    Both he and Weber gave ultimatums to MB before the start of 2019/2020 season which was cut short by Corona.     I can dig around for the interview.   Everything in my opnion is pointing to Weber deciding to hang it up and Price deciding to get out of Montreal as they had their chance this year and likely won't make the finals again next year.

Kraken have nothing to lose here.   They select Price ... if he's injured he's on LTIR and doesn't hurt their cap.  If he's not, they get the guy who most analysts agree is the best goalie in the league.  If Price retires, there's no cap payback either.    

The moment Price was exposed, I was confident Kraken are going to take him and its a new era in Montreal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I highly doubt MB would offer them something to NOT pick Price. If that were the case, then why not expose Allen and offer them something NOT to pick him? I imagine it would have been a cheaper ask.

I can maybe see the conversation going more like,,, what would you give us to select the player you want us to pick?

yes exactly, I would only give up something if they are taking Byron for example, but honestly after having slept on it, let them take Price if they really want to, fine by me. We just dealt with out two biggest contracts with aging players. Although I still believe they can be good when healthy but for what maybe a couple more years. I'm fine with risking that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

I highly doubt MB would offer them something to NOT pick Price. If that were the case, then why not expose Allen and offer them something NOT to pick him? I imagine it would have been a cheaper ask.

I can maybe see the conversation going more like,,, what would you give us to select the player you want us to pick?

I guess the only question is whether MB is playing chicken & they are trying to call his bluff, but if thats the case he'll just dig in - there's no point in saying "ok yeah you got me."   I think MB probably hopes he keeps price but wouldnt see it as the end of the world if he does not.

 

 

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

The rumor I read is that Price asked to be exposed.    Both he and Weber gave ultimatums to MB before the start of 2019/2020 season which was cut short by Corona.     I can dig around for the interview.   Everything in my opnion is pointing to Weber deciding to hang it up and Price deciding to get out of Montreal as they had their chance this year and likely won't make the finals again next year.

I can tell you for a fact that Weber does not want to "hang it up."  If he retires, its forced on him. He wants to keep playing

 

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

Kraken have nothing to lose here.   They select Price ... if he's injured he's on LTIR and doesn't hurt their cap.  If he's not, they get the guy who most analysts agree is the best goalie in the league.  If Price retires, there's no cap payback either.    

The moment Price was exposed, I was confident Kraken are going to take him and its a new era in Montreal.

Actually they have a lot to lose.  First and foremost, you are taking on $10.5m for a goalie who is probably going to start the year on the IR.    You have to sign a minimum of 3 goalies in the ED  - and if price is out for months to start, you'd better sign a guy who is capable of playing some games.  So you probably end up with $15m-18m+ of your cap going to goalies which is nearly 20%. Not ideal.  Yeah they are starting with a clean slate cap but a number of the best players exposed dont exactly have ideal contracts, money-wise.  Furthermore,  Price has shown for the last couple of years that while he's amazing in the playoffs, if rested, he's not the same player when he's fatigued. So i think its far from a foregone conclusion they take him but we will see.

As i've said above, I would not be surprised to see them take him (or even Weber) but I do think the odds are much more likely they select Kulak, Byron or, if they can work out a contract, even Danault. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting tidbit:

Chris Driedger  - who has apparently already agreed to a deal with the Kraken - has the same agent as Price.

So, what if he tells Price "Dridger is signing with Seattle for > $5m."   Now, would they even consider signing Price at that point on top of CD's new contract (plus a #3 goalie they have to select)?  

It would be really interesting to know all the information that was in place prior to them making the decision to expose CP. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Interesting tidbit:

Chris Driedger  - who has apparently already agreed to a deal with the Kraken - has the same agent as Price.

So, what if he tells Price "Dridger is signing with Seattle for > $5m."   Now, would they even consider signing Price at that point on top of CD's new contract (plus a #3 goalie they have to select)?  

It would be really interesting to know all the information that was in place prior to them making the decision to expose CP. 

Agree but I suspect it was a calculated move by MB - He has made a commitment to Carey that the habs are in it to win and contend. With the Drouin and/or Weber room, some more adds are coming. With Price's off season surgery and rest, it's a bit of a perfect storm. First keeping Allen makes us a better team of goalie depth, and during Carey's early absence, it provides a great opportunity to evaluate Primeau to determine if he is capable of shouldering some load and playing at an NHL level for the future. Carey has played a lot of games over the last 10+ seasons. We know what Carey can do when games are on the line and he is rested. I would not put it past MB and the Hab hockey minds - you don't sign a Chris Driedger, pluck another expansion draft best player available like a Vitek Vanecek or Braden Holtby for them to be sitting behind a Carey Price with all that cap invested in goalies. 

I suspect Price was ok with the downside risk - his character suggests he worries about nothing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...