The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Expansion Draft

campabee82

22 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Hmm hmm hmm. :ph34r:

Price made available. Drouin made available. We knew Weber would be made available. I wonder if Seattle takes a pass on all three given injuries, salaries, etc. I can't see them being interested in Byron, but... Who knows?

My prediction. They take Drouin.

I think they take a fern before him but who knows

Some more info on Price...

1. An insider who works with some of the guys in Seattle say Francis has full approval from the owners to select Price if he sees fit and they'd peg the odds at about 50-50 right now. So they really do appear to be considering it (or else trying to make the Habs think they're considering to try and force MB to pony up to keep him).

2. Stephane Waite says Price's injury is minor and a common thing for goalies. He says about 1/3 of goalies have similar types of surgery in each off-season to repair minor injuries and this shouldn't impact him going forward. Says the story may be blown out of proportion.

3. Rumors suggest Seattle could pick Tarasenko and flip him to another team retaining salary. They can't flip Price back to us, but easy for a third party to make Seattle an offer. Retain 50% and we'll give you a nice package. Another option here...

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

The Seattle Kraken continue to take a "deep dive" on the possibility of selecting Montreal Canadiens All-Star goalie Carey Price in Wednesday's expansion draft, according to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun. 

LeBrun also notes that he suspects the Kraken may approach the Habs in regards to what it would take to not select Price.

I feel like if they approach us asking for compensation, it's a bluff.  Taking Price is such a consequential decision that could help or hurt their franchise, it's hard to imagine a draft pick or whatever being the difference between doing it or not.

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

1. An insider who works with some of the guys in Seattle say Francis has full approval from the owners to select Price if he sees fit and they'd peg the odds at about 50-50 right now. So they really do appear to be considering it (or else trying to make the Habs think they're considering to try and force MB to pony up to keep him).

2. Stephane Waite says Price's injury is minor and a common thing for goalies. He says about 1/3 of goalies have similar types of surgery in each off-season to repair minor injuries and this shouldn't impact him going forward. Says the story may be blown out of proportion.

3. Rumors suggest Seattle could pick Tarasenko and flip him to another team retaining salary. They can't flip Price back to us, but easy for a third party to make Seattle an offer. Retain 50% and we'll give you a nice package. Another option here...

Is option 3 on the table for Seattle to flip Price to another team - he has an NMC that he only approved Seattle - would be a major concession for him to agree to another team beyond close to his hometown?

11 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

But Price has a NMC which he specifically waived for the ED only so flipping him wouldnt be an option as far as I understand... 

7 hours ago, claremont said:

I like both of your thoughts - I am close to a coin flip on the Price claiming by Seattle. If he were to be claimed, I like the additional cap space that comes with it, if used properly for some impact players especially to surround Caufield / Suzuki, and to upgrade the D with some mobility, but then we need a strong goalie tandem. On the down side, Elite goalies don't grow on trees, and one hit wonders like Bobrovsky's contract or goalie gambles like the Anderseive choker in Toronto totally deflate the winning objective. With Weber's cap space and Drouin's likely LTIR cap space or trade dump, we should have sufficient monies to achieve better balance while retaining Price. 

The question is: is Price elite anymore? He's had a couple nice post-seasons, but his regular seasons have mostly been below average; and the last 2 years, were it not for Covid, we likely don't even make the playoffs in the first place.

In principle, it makes total sense for a goalie to be your highest paid player, the problem is the position is so random there's few guys who you can really count on to be consistently elite.  Price was in that small group in the past, but he just hasn't been that goalie since he signed his new deal.  If we lose Price, there's a huge question mark in net. But I guess I feel like based on his recent play, we already have that question mark on some level, and we're paying 10.5 million for the next 5 years for that.

Of course, cap space doesn't win you games. Big-money UFA deals almost always turn out to be mistakes and trades involve giving assets up, but it creates flexibility an options, especially over the long-term.

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

But Price has a NMC which he specifically waived for the ED only so flipping him wouldnt be an option as far as I understand... 

Plus he has 5 more years on his deal. It's one thing to give up some money and cap space for the next couple years, it's quite another for the next 5.

If I was Seattle, I'd probably require around 5 1st rounders to consider eating half the salary. They could eat less than half, but I'd still want pretty substantial compensation. I know 5 first rounders sounds crazy, but look at Marleau who had 1 year left. And consider what if Vegas done something similar: they probably aren't able to sign Stone or Pietrangelo or whoever; and next year they would still be eating salary. So if I were Seattle, I'd need some pretty hefty compensation to even consider doing that.

Just now, maas_art said:

that was my understanding as well ...Price has only agreed to be available for the ED but his long term contract NMC remains intact ...it depends what goes on behind the scenes ...Price could again waive his NMC if selected by Seattle and possibly  end up somewhere of his own choosing  ....like say...for instance ....Vancouver ?......  

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Is option 3 on the table for Seattle to flip Price to another team - he has an NMC that he only approved Seattle - would be a major concession for him to agree to another team beyond close to his hometown?

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Obviously Price would have a say but if a team like Pittsburgh or Colorado came along and said here's two firsts and a good prospect for you, Seattle, if you eat 40% of Price's salary and swing him to us, I think they'd be interested. And I think Price would consider going to a contender. I think he's interested in going home to Seattle, and a big part of why Seattle is even considering him is that he brings a local boy flavor and a big marketing aspect to their team. But just adding that picking him could be a win for everyone in an number of ways.. Montreal either keeps Price and Allen or they get 10.5M in cap relief. Seattle doesn't choose him or they get their poster boy franchise player or they deal him for a bundle of assets to retain salary they don't really need right away. Price gets to go home and get out of the limelight of Mtl or he gets to choose to play for a contender. And the contender gets him at a discount that makes sense to make a Cup run. Lots of moving pieces, and any discussion would have to involve Price, no doubt, but I think there's at least that option for Seattle to explore.

16 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Read some where that Mrs Price said on Twitter that this will all make sense in a few days. So do not believe Price or Weber are going anywhere. 

Supposedly that was a reference to the fact Price needed surgery and that the reason he volunteered to waive his NMC was because he knew he would miss the start of the year and thought the team would be hard-up if Allen was selected and he too wasn't there. It sounds like there was no deal beforehand and that the ball is really in Seattle's court to decide at this point. I agree he likely stays put but I don't think it's a given.

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Stephane Waite has not been with the team for several months. Maybe Carey Price was dealing with a common goalie ailment when he was with the team but it could have been aggravated or another injury occurred during the playoffs. He would be speculating like all of are.

If Seattle takes Price I imagine he would be hesitant to move on from there. Being near his wife's parents and his children's grandparents would be a big disincentive to leaving.

2 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Is Bergevin that confident Primeau is ready for the NHL in the event he loses Price?  

I would be surprised if he is. I imagine Bergevin will be signing a veteran goaltender if the Kraken take Price. Maybe he brings back Lindgren... Although I think this would be a mistake. A Halak return? Could work on a one-year deal. Maybe he does something really dumb and signs Grubauer to a seven-year deal. :lol:

So carey price partnered with Amazon.ca to do a home makeover for a local hometown hero who has been working with the breakfast club of Canada for the last 20 years . Amazon has the naming rights for the new NHL rink in Seattle 😉

2 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

So carey price partnered with Amazon.ca to do a home makeover for a local hometown hero who has been working with the breakfast club of Canada for the last 20 years . Amazon has the naming rights for the new NHL rink in Seattle 😉

Im not sure if that means a ton though. Its Amazon.ca (canada) not Amazon.com  and Heather Sim is in Quebec....  Now, if it was a hometown hero in Washington state or something id start to worry! :4322:

4 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Oh no, we're doomed... Bezos is going to take him into space!!11! :lol:

If Price goes, I also wouldn't be surprised if MB signs a veteran goalie, like a Halak or a Bernier or so on.

That said, I don't think MB wants to lose Price. I think he'll live with getting out of the contract and I'm not sure he wants to give up assets to avoid losing Price, but I think in general his hope is that Price isn't claimed. On the other hand, I think Seattle doesn't really want to pick Price but does want to try and make it look like they do in order to try and extract other assets out of Montreal to protect him. Here's hoping MB doesn't fall victim to that scheme. If you lose him, you lose him and we shouldn't be devoting even more resources to keep a 10.5M contract. Sure, we'd all love to have a 27-year old Carey back, but what we're looking at is not 27 year-old Price but 34-38 year-old Price. Not the same thing. Not losing sleep if they end up taking him.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

If Price goes, I also wouldn't be surprised if MB signs a veteran goalie, like a Halak or a Bernier or so on.

That said, I don't think MB wants to lose Price. I think he'll live with getting out of the contract and I'm not sure he wants to give up assets to avoid losing Price, but I think in general his hope is that Price isn't claimed. On the other hand, I think Seattle doesn't really want to pick Price but does want to try and make it look like they do in order to try and extract other assets out of Montreal to protect him. Here's hoping MB doesn't fall victim to that scheme. If you lose him, you lose him and we shouldn't be devoting even more resources to keep a 10.5M contract. Sure, we'd all love to have a 27-year old Carey back, but what we're looking at is not 27 year-old Price but 34-38 year-old Price. Not the same thing. Not losing sleep if they end up taking him.

I agree with all this, but to add to reasons not to give Seattle assets to not take Price: it's almost certainly a bluff.

Taking Price, given his pedigree and contract, is a huge and potentially franchise altering (good or bad) decision. We can argue whether it's a good or bad decision, but either way, I can't imagine a pick or two changing that calculation.

I'm just imagining Seattle's argument: "well, we like Price so much we'll lock up 50 million + of cap space for him, but send us a first round pick and we'll forget the whole idea": it doesn't make a lot of sense, so I'd have to assume it's a bluff.

FWIW, Angela Price posted today that the Price family stopped in Kelowna to check on the progress of the new house they're building and were leaving this afternoon to drive to Washington state to visit family. Now she does have family there and they do go there every year just about, but it is a little convenient that they're headed there at exactly the time the expansion draft is being held. Just saying that if you were going to select Price and make him your first pick and your franchise poster boy, you'd likely ask him to be there to be paraded out as the first ever player. Just saying... now maybe he's not being picked and he's legit just there to visit family, it's entirely possible. But the timing of leaving today to make it to the Seattle area right before the draft is a bit convenient, and the fact he asked to be exposed is a little convenient for him. Almost seems like he's lined up his cards like he's asking Seattle to select him.

Another connection... one of the Seattle owners is Mitch Garber, former Montreal sports radio personality and former Dragon on Dragon's Den. He's a Montrealer and he probably knows the Habs situation as well as anyone. We know "ownership" has given Francis their blessing to select Price if he sees fit and that likely means Garber was involved in that discussion. He's a smart guy and I'm willing to bet he knows that Price is a good guy, can carry a franchise, and can bring revenue and fans outside of just what he brings on the ice. He too was on a flight to Seattle today to be there for the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if he's reached out to Price as a friend to see where he stands on things (kind of an off the record feeling out of the situation).

3 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

I agree with all this, but to add to reasons not to give Seattle assets to not take Price: it's almost certainly a bluff.

Taking Price, given his pedigree and contract, is a huge and potentially franchise altering (good or bad) decision. We can argue whether it's a good or bad decision, but either way, I can't imagine a pick or two changing that calculation.

I'm just imagining Seattle's argument: "well, we like Price so much we'll lock up 50 million + of cap space for him, but send us a first round pick and we'll forget the whole idea": it doesn't make a lot of sense, so I'd have to assume it's a bluff.

Agreed on that. I don't think they're making their decision based on the extra assets. If they really wanted Price, they'd take him. And as I said, the primary motive for taking Price is what he does for building the fanbase, giving the team instant credibility, and potentially attracting free agents down the line. It would be a way of trying to mirror the Vegas success.

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Agreed on that. I don't think they're making their decision based on the extra assets. If they really wanted Price, they'd take him. And as I said, the primary motive for taking Price is what he does for building the fanbase, giving the team instant credibility, and potentially attracting free agents down the line. It would be a way of trying to mirror the Vegas success.

Yep, and as much as I might argue that reasoning is a bad over-fitting to what worked for Vegas, that is likely to backfire, given how much of a copy-cat league the NHL is, sounds like the sort of thing a team would talk themselves into.

10 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

Yep, and as much as I might argue that reasoning is a bad over-fitting to what worked for Vegas, that is likely to backfire, given how much of a copy-cat league the NHL is, sounds like the sort of thing a team would talk themselves into.

The other thing to consider is what does the team do if they don't take Price. They're supposedly rumored to be close to signing Driedger. There's Holtby, Quick, Bishop as veterans and a bunch of younger, cheaper guys like Vanecek or Kahkonen. I think they'll choose at least one younger cheaper option, but if they're going the veteran route, the question is whether those other guys really move the needle. IMO, they're all inferior options to Price. Most of those guys are tandem guys or back-ups at this point, whereas Price is still a starter. Even if he only plays 50-55 games in the regular season, he's your go-to guy in the playoffs. I don't know if Holtby or Quick gets the nod over Driedger.

Price's contract is obviously a much bigger hit, but it's unlikely Seattle runs near the cap in year one anyways and their owners can afford to make the payments (I also think the off-ice revenue he brings will compensate for the cost; heck if they make the playoffs, the minimum two home games they get probably pay for the difference in his contract compared to Quick or Bishop). So I think the decision comes down to how much cap flexibility they want to keep on the backburner and whether they think Price's immediate impact offsets having to pay him out for the next 5 years.

• H_T_L locked this topic