The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Expansion Draft

campabee82

15 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Is it just or are the majority of these picks just out of left field??  I mean really are they drafting a team to be bad??  The majority of these picks make absolutely no sense

Oakland A's general manager Billy Beane's successfully assembled a baseball team in similar fashion.

22 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Is it just or are the majority of these picks just out of left field??  I mean really are they drafting a team to be bad??  The majority of these picks make absolutely no sense

I think most of them make sense to me. Who should they have taken that they didn't? 

38 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

14 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I think most of them make sense to me. Who should they have taken that they didn't? 

Yeah, aside from a couple I dont think they are horrible. Some surprises for sure in how they've actually compiled the team but in most cases they took BPA* from each team (*adjusting for contracts - ie, Fleury is not better than Price, but Fleury at his age & his contract is probably better than Price to the Kraken). 

I think they have built a good defense - strong even... should be better than a lot of established teams.   Their goalies are unproven but have promise.  Up front they have a lot of middle 6 forwards, which could be problematic but they could also be planning to make a trade and/or sign some UFA....

IMO, best picks Seattle made today:

1. Vince Dunn

2. Haydn Fleury

3. Jared McCann

4. Yannie Gourde

5. Kole Lind

6. Morgan Geekie (a good pick but I think they'll regret not selecting Bean)

Some of the others are just mind-bogglingly bad players, so you'd have to think there are side trades to explain them. We'll find out soon.

43 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Seattle signs Oleksiak to 5 years, 4.6M AAV, which seems exorbitant for a team that nickled and dimed its way through the rest of the expansion draft.

Yeah that seems kind of silly! he is ok but wow the term and the cash....

So no side deals... most teams' reporters were saying no side deal for this team or that team so maybe it ends up that there were none whatsoever. Still the rumor that Giordano got flipped to the Rangers, so guess we'll see. But as it turns out, Seattle really went bare minimum on spending. They barely cleared the cap floor, they hit the minimum of 20 signed players, and it looks like they just took a bunch of trash to avoid spending. I'm not sure what Francis' master plan is at this point but is he going to be signing a bunch of top-end free agents or is he planning on sucking for a year? No high-end forwards except for Eberle. No star power. Lots of fringe minor leaguers, and most of whom are already mid-to-late 20's, so not like these are youngsters with lots of potential to improve...

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

So no side deals... most teams' reporters were saying no side deal for this team or that team so maybe it ends up that there were none whatsoever. Still the rumor that Giordano got flipped to the Rangers, so guess we'll see. But as it turns out, Seattle really went bare minimum on spending. They barely cleared the cap floor, they hit the minimum of 20 signed players, and it looks like they just took a bunch of trash to avoid spending. I'm not sure what Francis' master plan is at this point but is he going to be signing a bunch of top-end free agents or is he planning on sucking for a year? No high-end forwards except for Eberle. No star power. Lots of fringe minor leaguers, and most of whom are already mid-to-late 20's, so not like these are youngsters with lots of potential to improve...

Yeah boggles the mind when you consider Knights and their draft.   Given who Kraken have taken they're likely a bottom team ... is there an up and coming superstar next year to draft?

I wonder how long a brand new team can suck before it gets tough to fill seats or move merchandise.  Surely the novelty will wear off at some point if they're bottom feeders.  Would also like to know just how much of a hockey market it is in Washington state.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

IMO, best picks Seattle made today:

1. Vince Dunn

2. Haydn Fleury

3. Jared McCann

4. Yannie Gourde

5. Kole Lind

6. Morgan Geekie (a good pick but I think they'll regret not selecting Bean)

Some of the others are just mind-bogglingly bad players, so you'd have to think there are side trades to explain them. We'll find out soon.

Kole Lind and Morgan Geekie are at best prospects in training - 2nd round and 3rd rounders that haven’t demonstrated much ahl success so they’re fringe. The Krakken did what I expect which was to preserve their cap room but the degree is extremely surprising. 
For a million more they could have had the proven Kulak vs the question mark - Cale Fleury to get brother synergy. The avoidance on Bean puzzles me too - I guess they thought they have a plethora of LHD. 
They have virtually no scoring beyond Eberle, Gourde, McCann, 

They have built this team from a bit of the back end out but none of the goalies have much game experience as they are mostly 1-2 seasons of flash - Driedger 41 games of experience, Vanecek - 38 games, Daccord - 8 

I don’t see any face of the franchise yet beyond Giordano and he’s on the retirement cycle - perhaps Oleksiuk or Larson 

i have to think Francis will sign a UFA scorer of note or trade for a goal scorer - this team sure looks like an islanders expansion team of mostly duds and hope 

45 minutes ago, claremont said:

I don’t see any face of the franchise yet beyond Giordano and he’s on the retirement cycle - perhaps Oleksiuk or Larson 

i have to think Francis will sign a UFA scorer of note or trade for a goal scorer - this team sure looks like an islanders expansion team of mostly duds and hope 

Even with the cap room they have, though, they're taking a pretty big gamble if their only plan is the UFA market.  I mean if you're a free agent  and you look at what they've got now... well, I can't imagine it's going to be most players' first choice.  That means they're going to need to really overpay anybody who they get, which doesn't sound like a great winning recipe. And even then there's no guarantee that they'll land the players that they want.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Maybe the initiation fee (what is it,,,, $650 mil.?) put them under the gun. Not sure who the owner is/are, but they sure are saving money. 

14 hours ago, habsisme said:

I would have assumed they would have taken a #1 goalie, especially when Bishop, Holtby, Price, Raantta ect. are all available.  They have no proven net minder, secondly they were several decent point producing players available ie. Tarasenko, Riemsdyk, Drouin.  And yet they chose none of them

18 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

I would have assumed they would have taken a #1 goalie, especially when Bishop, Holtby, Price, Raantta ect. are all available.  They have no proven net minder, secondly they were several decent point producing players available ie. Tarasenko, Riemsdyk, Drouin.  And yet they chose none of them

In all honesty, Driedger could be better than all of those goalies except Price and maybe Raanta (and both of those guys have had significant injuries of late). I'm more flabbergasted by the lack of scoring chosen. At the very least, if they had chosen a top-end player or two (like a Zucker or Tarasenko) they probably could have flipped those guys for 1st rounders or top prospects at a trade deadline.

36 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

In all honesty, Driedger could be better than all of those goalies except Price and maybe Raanta (and both of those guys have had significant injuries of late). I'm more flabbergasted by the lack of scoring chosen. At the very least, if they had chosen a top-end player or two (like a Zucker or Tarasenko) they probably could have flipped those guys for 1st rounders or top prospects at a trade deadline.

So you’re thinking Driedger is a Binnington type late bloomer? Driedger’s development record at 27 years old is not exactly jaw dropping of consistency. I know for a fact Martin Brodeur blocked and impeded Binnington’s development in St. Louis - I wonder what Driedger’s issues have been 

8 minutes ago, claremont said:

So you’re thinking Driedger is a Binnington type late bloomer? Driedger’s development record at 27 years old is not exactly jaw dropping of consistency. I know for a fact Martin Brodeur blocked and impeded Binnington’s development in St. Louis - I wonder what Driedger’s issues have been 

Driedger reminds me more of a Hammonds(Hamburgler lol) type player.  A flash in the pan had one decent season but far from being a number 1 goalie.  With regards to the high priced starter, if nothing else he would act as a mentor to these young goalies that the Kracken have selected, where personally I think D'accord will be the best of the 3 and that's not really saying much.

53 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Scoring will be a major issue for sure with this club they have no real finishers and instead went with a full team of grinders, while this might be a decent approach with a great defensive team I think it's a recipe for disaster in Seattle.  Don't get me wrong their D is sold and mobile but lack of scoring and lack of stable goaltending will doom this team for years to come.  This just looks to me as a reincarnation of the Atlanta Thrasher debacle where they were a joke to the rest of the NHL

I did end up watching some of the draft on TV last night out of curiosity how they were going to handle it,,, with pretty much all the picks leaked beforehand. Needless to say, it was a pretty pathetic production. The content looked lacking everywhere and the hosts looked lost at times. Bush league.

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

If i had to guess, based on the fact they took a ton of young players & look like they are going to be very bad, the master plan is this:

- Build a very young team
- Suck hard so you get a lottery pick, probably best odds at #1
- Keep tons of cap space so you can acquire bad contracts. The cost for that trade? a 1st rounder
- Load up on those first rounders
- Have a monster draft with maybe 5 or 6 first round picks

Then hope like hell you made good picks and you are a good team in 2-3 years.   At that point all the young players you took in the ED will be established middle tier players so they can grown with all your first rounders.

It could work, but boy it sounds risky.  A lot of things have to go right for this to make any sense. 

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

If i had to guess, based on the fact they took a ton of young players & look like they are going to be very bad, the master plan is this:

- Keep tons of cap space so you can acquire bad contracts. The cost for that trade? a 1st rounder

Then hope like hell you made good picks and you are a good team in 2-3 years.   At that point all the young players you took in the ED will be established middle tier players so they can grown with all your first rounders.

It could work, but boy it sounds risky.  A lot of things have to go right for this to make any sense. 

I wonder if we'll see teams more hesitant to sacrifice good picks to Seattle, though. Worked out well for Vegas, but did it work out well for anyone who gave their picks away to Vegas?

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Soo your saying Edmonton 2.0 LOL

12 hours ago, claremont said:

Not at all. I think Seattle took a gamble here that he'll be able to maintain the success he had last year. But what I am saying is that the other guys listed were probably bigger gambles. Bishop has missed a ton of time and is getting up in years. He's likely going to struggle to stay healthy and he's not really a true #1 any more. Ditto for Holtby, who is a platoon guy at this stage but hardly a go-to goaltender. Price has better big-game presence, but he's also struggled with inconsistency and injuries, and Raanta has missed a lot of games too. So I'm not saying Driedger was a great choice, but if you're Seattle and you're not getting a great goalie, maybe their plan to go for a younger guy with less mileage and a cheaper contract will work out better for them. I think if they had drafted a better on-ice time from the get-go (ie gone after players like Tarasenko and Zucker and Johansen) then maybe adding a Price or Raanta to win now makes more sense. But since they will likely be bad for a while, then drafting a younger guy who can still be good now but can be your #1 in 3-4 years still is a smarter play for their goals.

58 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Not at all. I think Seattle took a gamble here that he'll be able to maintain the success he had last year. But what I am saying is that the other guys listed were probably bigger gambles. Bishop has missed a ton of time and is getting up in years. He's likely going to struggle to stay healthy and he's not really a true #1 any more. Ditto for Holtby, who is a platoon guy at this stage but hardly a go-to goaltender. Price has better big-game presence, but he's also struggled with inconsistency and injuries, and Raanta has missed a lot of games too. So I'm not saying Driedger was a great choice, but if you're Seattle and you're not getting a great goalie, maybe their plan to go for a younger guy with less mileage and a cheaper contract will work out better for them. I think if they had drafted a better on-ice time from the get-go (ie gone after players like Tarasenko and Zucker and Johansen) then maybe adding a Price or Raanta to win now makes more sense. But since they will likely be bad for a while, then drafting a younger guy who can still be good now but can be your #1 in 3-4 years still is a smarter play for their goals.

44 minutes ago, dreegking said:

Without being too cruel, I’d suggest Driedger was one of the few things done right. 

Ok understood - he certainly projects to have a ceiling of potential much higher than many of the slugs they picked to preserve cap room - the Morgan Geekie over Jake Bean just baffles me. Pierre LeBrun reported that Francis wanted 2 picks and a prospect NOT to pick Jake Allen so good on MB for calling that demand 

• H_T_L locked this topic