The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Expansion Draft

campabee82

I would expose Weber myself and hope he does as well.  Weber while he played well so far in the playoffs he has played the worst of the 4 you have mentioned above.  And the way Allen has played I would almost be willing to move a pick to protect Allen and have them take Byron or Weber, as we have several 2nd round picks in a real "blank canvas" draft it would be the perfect time to make such a move.

38 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I know there's still plenty of time for this to change but what a difference the playoffs has made.   Coming in to it I was sure Allen would be the guy we'd lose but now that the "big 4' have played so well... its a tough call.

If you look at our defense, Petry must be protected because of his NMC but obviously would be anyway.   I cant fathom them not protecting Weber and Romanov is (thankfully) exempt.  That leaves 1 spot for:

Edmundson, Chiarot, and Kulak  (Merrill, Gus, Fleury etc will be in need of contracts but I dont think any are of a huge risk even if we do sign them before the ED).

Im really not sure who MB will protect.   Petry-Weber-Chiarot?   Petry-Weber-Edmundson?   Or, does he shock us all and go Petry-Edmundson-Chiarot?  Would he actually expose Weber? 

I think Kulak has lost some of his lustre in the playoffs, even though I still believe he's criminally underrated (and the numbers support this). Chiarot is the guy who had bad numbers in the regular season and who has stepped up the most in the post-season, and the data suggests Weber has been weighing him down. In fact, of all our D men, Weber is probably the guy who has performed least well relative to his contract in both the regular season and playoffs. I don't see a viable solution for protecting 4 D men, so I agree with you that based on what we know about MB, it'll come down to protecting 2 of Weber, Chiarot, and Edmundson.

Who should he leave unprotected? Well if I were him, this is what I would do: I'd protect Petry, Chiarot, and Kulak. Why? Petry is our top D man and has the NMC. Kulak, as I mentioned, remains on a very friendly contract and with the money tied up in Weber and Price, we frankly need some veterans on low-money deals. Plus he brings something to the table no one else does on the left side. Chiarot and Edmundson play the same style of game and if Romanov is ready to take a bigger role next year (and on a cheaper contract than either Ed or Chiarot), then I still don't see the need to keep BC and JE around together. The major difference between Chiarot and Edmundson is that Chiarot has one year left on his deal and Edmundson has three. Chiarot is 30 and Ed is 27. We know we have a stockpile of young LHD coming in 2-3 years. Norlinder signed his pro deal. Harris theoretically should sign his next year and may be close to being NHL-ready according to scouts. So I don't see a big need for Edmundson for another 3 years. I think at 27, he could be an attractive target for Seattle, whereas I think Chiarot is less attractive as a 30+ pending UFA. Weber, likewise, is not an attractive target at his age/contract and if they do take him, that's great savings in the bank for us and the money is worth more than the player. It gives Seattle two options (if they want a guy in his prime who performed well in the post-season or they want a guy with name-brand recognition to boost their cap and draw fans) that might draw them away from Allen (or Evans, Lehkonen, Drouin, or whoever the Habs expose up front). I think if you're the Habs you WANT them to pick a defender from you because you don't have a need to carry that many veterans at that salary. Chiarot-Kulak-Romanov remain your placeholders next year if you can't make a trade and then you hope someone like Norlinder or Harris or Guhle is able to step into your line-up to replace Chiarot in two years.

34 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I think Kulak has lost some of his lustre in the playoffs, even though I still believe he's criminally underrated (and the numbers support this). Chiarot is the guy who had bad numbers in the regular season and who has stepped up the most in the post-season, and the data suggests Weber has been weighing him down. In fact, of all our D men, Weber is probably the guy who has performed least well relative to his contract in both the regular season and playoffs. I don't see a viable solution for protecting 4 D men, so I agree with you that based on what we know about MB, it'll come down to protecting 2 of Weber, Chiarot, and Edmundson.

Who should he leave unprotected? Well if I were him, this is what I would do: I'd protect Petry, Chiarot, and Kulak. Why? Petry is our top D man and has the NMC. Kulak, as I mentioned, remains on a very friendly contract and with the money tied up in Weber and Price, we frankly need some veterans on low-money deals. Plus he brings something to the table no one else does on the left side. Chiarot and Edmundson play the same style of game and if Romanov is ready to take a bigger role next year (and on a cheaper contract than either Ed or Chiarot), then I still don't see the need to keep BC and JE around together. The major difference between Chiarot and Edmundson is that Chiarot has one year left on his deal and Edmundson has three. Chiarot is 30 and Ed is 27. We know we have a stockpile of young LHD coming in 2-3 years. Norlinder signed his pro deal. Harris theoretically should sign his next year and may be close to being NHL-ready according to scouts. So I don't see a big need for Edmundson for another 3 years. I think at 27, he could be an attractive target for Seattle, whereas I think Chiarot is less attractive as a 30+ pending UFA. Weber, likewise, is not an attractive target at his age/contract and if they do take him, that's great savings in the bank for us and the money is worth more than the player. It gives Seattle two options (if they want a guy in his prime who performed well in the post-season or they want a guy with name-brand recognition to boost their cap and draw fans) that might draw them away from Allen (or Evans, Lehkonen, Drouin, or whoever the Habs expose up front). I think if you're the Habs you WANT them to pick a defender from you because you don't have a need to carry that many veterans at that salary. Chiarot-Kulak-Romanov remain your placeholders next year if you can't make a trade and then you hope someone like Norlinder or Harris or Guhle is able to step into your line-up to replace Chiarot in two years.

Some interesting thoughts here & I agree with a lot of it (although honestly i dont think Kulak is at risk if exposed).  

The one thing that i think will work against leaving weber exposed is that I dont think he'd be claimed... which means now you have your captain & one of your "leaders" who has just been shown he's expendable. Would MB actually do that? I dont think so. I mean he *should* if he thinks its the best move but I dont see him doing so. I mean you look around the league, guys like Tyler Johnson getting waived & not claimed... its time to put on the big boy pants and have a discussion with Weber.

47 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Some interesting thoughts here & I agree with a lot of it (although honestly i dont think Kulak is at risk if exposed).  

The one thing that i think will work against leaving weber exposed is that I dont think he'd be claimed... which means now you have your captain & one of your "leaders" who has just been shown he's expendable. Would MB actually do that? I dont think so. I mean he *should* if he thinks its the best move but I dont see him doing so. I mean you look around the league, guys like Tyler Johnson getting waived & not claimed... its time to put on the big boy pants and have a discussion with Weber.

Let's also keep in mind that another team could reach out to Seattle and organize a deal for them to select Weber on their behalf (e.g. Philly trades a 2nd rounder and prospect to Seattle, Seattle selects Weber and trades him to Philly). So if he's available, you'll know if any of the other 31 teams really likes him on that contract. I agree with you that if he goes unselected, then he goes unselected and maybe that's a blow to his ego (and to Bergevin's ego), but at this point MB should know the value of all his players on the trade market, so he should know what he can get for Weber.

For example, if Philly is offering a 2nd and a prospect to us directly, MB should be able to judge if it's worth more to him to trade Weber and lose Allen for that return or to simply lose Weber in the draft and essentially retain Allen in exchange for that 2nd a prospect package. He has to be able to make his ED decisions based on what he knows about his players' values on the market. He also should know what Seattle's vision likely is, and the media has reported that Seattle will likely try to pick cheaper options to stay closer to the cap floor and then try to use their cap space to make other trades. So agreed that it's less likely they use their pick on Weber for Weber himself, but they could still use him as a trade chip as outlined above or they may choose to pick 1-2 guys who are their veteran leaders. So I think there's still a chance they take him. Again, by exposing Ed and Weber, it gives them two very different options to try and entice them. If you expose both Ed and Chiarot, you're exposing two guys who are very similar in utility to the team and if they don't want one, they likely won't want the other. So why bother exposing both? Choose to protect the one who fits better into your organization's direction (expiring contract in one year) and move from there.

I'll say it again, but I don't see a fit there if we choose to go into next season with Chiarot-Edmundson-Romanov down the left side. We saw that exposed countless times during the regular season, particularly if Weber is on the right, and next year, we'll be facing Tampa and Florida and Boston, not just Toronto and an improving Ottawa. There are more skilled attacks that are going to come at us. As well as we've done this post-season, I don't see this being a likelihood of being reproduced if we choose to come back with the same roster just a year older.

As far as Kulak goes, I think he's also expendable at this point. But the differences in this case would be that he's on a contract that's half as expensive as Chiarot and Edmundson and he provides a different skillset than those two (who provide the same skillset). If you can go out and trade for a Werenski and go Werenski-Chiarot-Romanov down the left, then by all means get rid of Kulak. But right now, I think he fills a void for a puck-moving D man on the left that we're not getting from the other 3 guys.

Up front, I see a 0% chance Seattle selects Byron unless we're trading assets to make that happen. The guy passed through waivers several times and his contract isn't good either. Zero reason for Seattle to choose him. Again, I think the question comes back to what are we leaving for Seattle that could entice them more than Allen and that doesn't hurt us to lose?

One of the approaches for Seattle is to take the cheapest players you possibly can as a basis for subsequently taking on bloated contracts via trade, and obtaining strong future draft picks. They will have no problem getting to the minimum cap level. On that basis, Kulak's friendly contract represents an excellent value and there are enough d-men on unprotected lists, such that they won't sacrifice much quality. Even Cale Fleury as an RFA would present value to Seattle. I would vote keeping Kulak to preserve our Cap for use elsewhere. Petry and likely Edmundson would be my vote for the other two protected (as much as I like what Chiarot has done in the playoffs that's not a knock against him just a business value decision) 

At goaltender, who offers better value than Jake Allen's roughly $2.9M contract? I would say the top unprotected goalies will be Khudobin ($3.3M),  Braden Holtby ($4.3M), one of Washington's Ilya Samsonov (they likely protect) or Vitek Vanecek $800k, Pittsburgh's Casey Desmith $1.25M).   They of course could buy a free agent goalie like Florida's Chris Driedger who recently impressed (Sidenote - Florida has that awful contract of Boborvsky and an up and comer in Spencer Knight - I bet they would do a lot to move $10M Bobrovsky if they could). So I am strongly inclined to think that Bergevin is going to have to give something of value to the Krakken for us to keep Allen unless he rolls the dice and asks Price to waive his NMC. 

14 minutes ago, claremont said:

One of the approaches for Seattle is to take the cheapest players you possibly can as a basis for subsequently taking on bloated contracts via trade, and obtaining strong future draft picks. They will have no problem getting to the minimum cap level. On that basis, Kulak's friendly contract represents an excellent value and there are enough d-men on unprotected lists, such that they won't sacrifice much quality. Even Cale Fleury as an RFA would present value to Seattle. I would vote keeping Kulak to preserve our Cap for use elsewhere. Petry and likely Edmundson would be my vote for the other two protected (as much as I like what Chiarot has done in the playoffs that's not a knock against him just a business value decision) 

At goaltender, who offers better value than Jake Allen's roughly $2.9M contract? I would say the top unprotected goalies will be Khudobin ($3.3M),  Braden Holtby ($4.3M), one of Washington's Ilya Samsonov (they likely protect) or Vitek Vanecek $800k, Pittsburgh's Casey Desmith $1.25M).   They of course could buy a free agent goalie like Florida's Chris Driedger who recently impressed (Sidenote - Florida has that awful contract of Boborvsky and an up and comer in Spencer Knight - I bet they would do a lot to move $10M Bobrovsky if they could). So I am strongly inclined to think that Bergevin is going to have to give something of value to the Krakken for us to keep Allen unless he rolls the dice and asks Price to waive his NMC. 

Evans is also a value player proving his worth at the NHL level and could step into a 3rd line role with the Kracken

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Evans is also a value player proving his worth at the NHL level and could step into a 3rd line role with the Kracken

If they don't re-sign anyone first, I think the 7 forwards have to be

- Anderson

- Kotkaniemi

- Gallagher

- Toffoli

- Evans

- Lehkonen

- Drouin

If they do decide to protect 4 D, then it means Evans, Lehkonen, and Drouin all get exposed, but I would prioritize all three of those guys over any of Chiarot, Edmundson, or Weber, so it would be foolish to protect 8 D.

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Let's also keep in mind that another team could reach out to Seattle and organize a deal for them to select Weber on their behalf (e.g. Philly trades a 2nd rounder and prospect to Seattle, Seattle selects Weber and trades him to Philly). So if he's available, you'll know if any of the other 31 teams really likes him on that contract. I agree with you that if he goes unselected, then he goes unselected and maybe that's a blow to his ego (and to Bergevin's ego), but at this point MB should know the value of all his players on the trade market, so he should know what he can get for Weber.

For example, if Philly is offering a 2nd and a prospect to us directly, MB should be able to judge if it's worth more to him to trade Weber and lose Allen for that return or to simply lose Weber in the draft and essentially retain Allen in exchange for that 2nd a prospect package. He has to be able to make his ED decisions based on what he knows about his players' values on the market. He also should know what Seattle's vision likely is, and the media has reported that Seattle will likely try to pick cheaper options to stay closer to the cap floor and then try to use their cap space to make other trades. So agreed that it's less likely they use their pick on Weber for Weber himself, but they could still use him as a trade chip as outlined above or they may choose to pick 1-2 guys who are their veteran leaders. So I think there's still a chance they take him. Again, by exposing Ed and Weber, it gives them two very different options to try and entice them. If you expose both Ed and Chiarot, you're exposing two guys who are very similar in utility to the team and if they don't want one, they likely won't want the other. So why bother exposing both? Choose to protect the one who fits better into your organization's direction (expiring contract in one year) and move from there.

I'll say it again, but I don't see a fit there if we choose to go into next season with Chiarot-Edmundson-Romanov down the left side. We saw that exposed countless times during the regular season, particularly if Weber is on the right, and next year, we'll be facing Tampa and Florida and Boston, not just Toronto and an improving Ottawa. There are more skilled attacks that are going to come at us. As well as we've done this post-season, I don't see this being a likelihood of being reproduced if we choose to come back with the same roster just a year older.

As far as Kulak goes, I think he's also expendable at this point. But the differences in this case would be that he's on a contract that's half as expensive as Chiarot and Edmundson and he provides a different skillset than those two (who provide the same skillset). If you can go out and trade for a Werenski and go Werenski-Chiarot-Romanov down the left, then by all means get rid of Kulak. But right now, I think he fills a void for a puck-moving D man on the left that we're not getting from the other 3 guys.

Up front, I see a 0% chance Seattle selects Byron unless we're trading assets to make that happen. The guy passed through waivers several times and his contract isn't good either. Zero reason for Seattle to choose him. Again, I think the question comes back to what are we leaving for Seattle that could entice them more than Allen and that doesn't hurt us to lose?

Is there anything to stop Weber from retiring if selected by Seattle or traded for by Philly? Like, would Seattle get another pick from the Habs?

A key question - Can GM Ron Francis with the unprotected lists identify a key core of 6 players to build his team around and be fairly competitive right away? If we look at Vegas experience, they received Marchessault, Fleury and Reilly Smith as potential core pieces. Karlsson, Theodore,were complete surprising over achievers based on their selections, so with some luck they vaulted to contending status very quickly. 

With this year's unprotected, the Krakken could be very strong on the back end (barring trades / inducements) - Dumba, Dunn, Devon Toews, Jake Bean, Dermott / Holl, - idiot Deangelo, maybe Gostisbehere, Tanev.   So does a Kulak / Chiarot  add much value?  Based on the forwards being made available, Seattle will be challenged to score as nobody is giving up 20+ goal scorers like a Marchessault or potential young scoring forwards. GM Francis IMO will need to identify his forward scoring core, spend some money here, and take some possible buyout / dead contract money for up and coming forward prospects or draft choices. A Byron / Lehkonen / Evans even Drouin might be better pieces if we can keep Allen out of their mitts. 

2 hours ago, claremont said:

A key question - Can GM Ron Francis with the unprotected lists identify a key core of 6 players to build his team around and be fairly competitive right away? If we look at Vegas experience, they received Marchessault, Fleury and Reilly Smith as potential core pieces. Karlsson, Theodore,were complete surprising over achievers based on their selections, so with some luck they vaulted to contending status very quickly. 

With this year's unprotected, the Krakken could be very strong on the back end (barring trades / inducements) - Dumba, Dunn, Devon Toews, Jake Bean, Dermott / Holl, - idiot Deangelo, maybe Gostisbehere, Tanev.   So does a Kulak / Chiarot  add much value?  Based on the forwards being made available, Seattle will be challenged to score as nobody is giving up 20+ goal scorers like a Marchessault or potential young scoring forwards. GM Francis IMO will need to identify his forward scoring core, spend some money here, and take some possible buyout / dead contract money for up and coming forward prospects or draft choices. A Byron / Lehkonen / Evans even Drouin might be better pieces if we can keep Allen out of their mitts. 

Again, I'll say this... I don't see a reason Seattle would want Byron and I don't see why the Habs would expose any of Evans, Drouin, or Lehkonen. They can protect all 3 of them as long as they don't re-sign any of Armia, Danault, or Tatar prior to the ED. They will, however, need to re-sign someone like Frolik or Perry in order to meet the minimum veteran exposure requirement.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Again, I'll say this... I don't see a reason Seattle would want Byron and I don't see why the Habs would expose any of Evans, Drouin, or Lehkonen. They can protect all 3 of them as long as they don't re-sign any of Armia, Danault, or Tatar prior to the ED. They will, however, need to re-sign someone like Frolik or Perry in order to meet the minimum veteran exposure requirement.

Again, I’ll say this.... inducements of draft choices or prospects can be used as tools or bait for Seattle to choose another member of our team (Byron, Lehkonen, Evans or Drouin for a fresh start or other selections ) rather than choosing Our likely biggest loss of Jake Allen. Such agreements can be worked out in advance of a non- protected list. It all depends on how much value mgmt places on Allen or anyone else. 

A lot of teams got burned when they 'sweetened the pot" for vegas to take player x and leave player y.  In  many cases player X ended up better than player Y - or, both were nonfactors so the team gave up a pick or a prospect for nothing. 

For example, Winnipeg gave up their 1st (13th overall) & their 3rd round pick so that Vegas would take Thorburn rather than Enstrom or Dano. (they also got Columbus' 24th overall pick)  In the end it was all for naught because Enstrom flamed out & went to Europe.  Dano was claimed off of waivers and Thorburn went UFA but in the end the Jets dropped 11 picks in the 1st round and lost out on a very good player at 13th...

Who was that 13th overall pick?   Our very own Nick Suzuki.  

I feel like its unlikely we'll see a ton of side-deals this expansion draft. 

2 hours ago, claremont said:

Again, I’ll say this.... inducements of draft choices or prospects can be used as tools or bait for Seattle to choose another member of our team (Byron, Lehkonen, Evans or Drouin for a fresh start or other selections ) rather than choosing Our likely biggest loss of Jake Allen. Such agreements can be worked out in advance of a non- protected list. It all depends on how much value mgmt places on Allen or anyone else. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

A lot of teams got burned when they 'sweetened the pot" for vegas to take player x and leave player y.  In  many cases player X ended up better than player Y - or, both were nonfactors so the team gave up a pick or a prospect for nothing. 

For example, Winnipeg gave up their 1st (13th overall) & their 3rd round pick so that Vegas would take Thorburn rather than Enstrom or Dano. (they also got Columbus' 24th overall pick)  In the end it was all for naught because Enstrom flamed out & went to Europe.  Dano was claimed off of waivers and Thorburn went UFA but in the end the Jets dropped 11 picks in the 1st round and lost out on a very good player at 13th...

Who was that 13th overall pick?   Our very own Nick Suzuki.  

I feel like its unlikely we'll see a ton of side-deals this expansion draft. 

Yeah, I'm against offering compensation for them to pick someone. if we don't re-sign any veteran forwards before the draft (other than a Frolik or Perry for example), then the best players we'll put forth to Vegas who aren't UFA's would be

- Byron

- Vejdemo

- Chiarot or Edmundson

- Kulak

- Fleury

- Allen

So the odds are that we lose Allen or one of our depth D men. So think of any pot-sweetener you're throwing in as being a trade-back for Allen. Keep in mind that Allen will be 31 next year and coming off a season where we all thought he played well but where his save percentage was .907. Now that puts him 33rd of 67 goalies with at least 10 games played last year. He was 29th for GAA. There will be a dozen UFA goalies available this summer with better stats than him. So is it really worth trying to ask them to pick Byron but having to give them something to not take Allen and to take on Byron's bad contract? Would you trade Poehling for that? Ylonen? Struble? A 1st? A 2nd? I'm curious as to what it might take, but as Maas mentioned, there was some relatively heavy compensation thrown out to Vegas and in some cases the compensation was better than what was retained. If they ask for a guy like Poehling or Ylonen, I'm certainly not in favor of dealing Byron + Poehling/Ylonen to get Allen. I'd rather lose Allen and find another back-up or just go with Primeau.

31 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, I'm against offering compensation for them to pick someone. if we don't re-sign any veteran forwards before the draft (other than a Frolik or Perry for example), then the best players we'll put forth to Vegas who aren't UFA's would be

- Byron

- Vejdemo

- Chiarot or Edmundson

- Kulak

- Fleury

- Allen

So the odds are that we lose Allen or one of our depth D men. So think of any pot-sweetener you're throwing in as being a trade-back for Allen. Keep in mind that Allen will be 31 next year and coming off a season where we all thought he played well but where his save percentage was .907. Now that puts him 33rd of 67 goalies with at least 10 games played last year. He was 29th for GAA. There will be a dozen UFA goalies available this summer with better stats than him. So is it really worth trying to ask them to pick Byron but having to give them something to not take Allen and to take on Byron's bad contract? Would you trade Poehling for that? Ylonen? Struble? A 1st? A 2nd? I'm curious as to what it might take, but as Maas mentioned, there was some relatively heavy compensation thrown out to Vegas and in some cases the compensation was better than what was retained. If they ask for a guy like Poehling or Ylonen, I'm certainly not in favor of dealing Byron + Poehling/Ylonen to get Allen. I'd rather lose Allen and find another back-up or just go with Primeau.

My big worry is that MB, who clearly overvalues depth defensmen, will elect to protect 4 dmen (Petry, Weber, Edmundson and Chiarot) leaving several quality forwards available.  I dont *think* he'll be that foolish but... 

23 minutes ago, maas_art said:

My big worry is that MB, who clearly overvalues depth defensmen, will elect to protect 4 dmen (Petry, Weber, Edmundson and Chiarot) leaving several quality forwards available.  I dont *think* he'll be that foolish but... 

I also worry he'll consider this. If he does, his 4 forwards protected will almost certainly be JK, Toffoli, Anderson, and Gallagher. That leaves Lehkonen, Evans, and Drouin all available, and I'd value each of them over Edmundson or Chiarot or Weber as assets, considering their ages and contracts. If Drouin hadn't left the team, he would be the obvious choice there. Now that he's gone, I'd worry Evans would be the prime target, and I think he's more valuable than any of those D men, given the redundancy of the D men and the fact our organizational depth at center is weak. I also would not be surprised if MB makes a push to sign Danault before the ED and then leaves Lehkonen or Drouin unprotected afterwards. I don't think he's too worried about having Tatar or Armia walk but I think he values Danault.

What MB SHOULD do if he were smart is use his roster spots to go after a player another team can't protect. A Jake Bean or a Matt Dumba, or maybe there's a forward out there who is better than the guy who would fall off the end (my guess is Lehkonen)... but let's say you trade your end-of-1st-round pick this year for Dumba. Then protect Petry-Dumba-Edmundson, for example. If they claim Chiarot or Weber, so be it. You'd have essentially swapped that player and a 1st for Dumba and retaining Allen, and that's well worth it IMO.

I would expose Drouin based on his current situation and his need to play elsewhere in my opinion.  If Seattle selects him, our cap gets lowered by $5M + and we now have funds to find a replacement if necessary.  We also save Allen and our D core.  Yes, there are reasons to keep Drouin, however, since we really don't know why he is on personal leave, a fresh start might be good for him and good for the Habs.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

What MB SHOULD do if he were smart is use his roster spots to go after a player another team can't protect. A Jake Bean or a Matt Dumba, or maybe there's a forward out there who is better than the guy who would fall off the end (my guess is Lehkonen)... but let's say you trade your end-of-1st-round pick this year for Dumba. Then protect Petry-Dumba-Edmundson, for example. If they claim Chiarot or Weber, so be it. You'd have essentially swapped that player and a 1st for Dumba and retaining Allen, and that's well worth it IMO.

This. But first he needs to understand what kinds of players are expendable & replaceable.  Im not sure he does. 

The smart thing to do is expose Price to free up the $10.5 million cap space. Use the freed cap to invest in a PMD and build a proper D corps. Let Weber return to Nashville to retire with them and clear his cap as well.

Losing ONE player folks. Like everyone.

Not A big deal. 

No way is Price left Unprotected. I am learning BigTed can say some clever things. And some things that blow my mind

drouin is in my opinion a super easy choice to Leave unprotected. He has not even contributed. Is a huge risk for any team with his “unknown/undisclosed PERSONAL issue. If he’s protected i will eat my shorts. Use our heads folks. Why would any team even dare take him when they could have someone else. Why would the Habs protect him knowing that. He’s likely going through a major mental challenge or illness or substance abuse treatment. 

Weber could be left unprotected. At least that suggestion. Is within the realm of earth. Sorry to be so blunt. But…not really. He has a huge contract. And he won’t be getting better with time. Great player. But he know longer scores. That’s a problem at his cost. Take the chance. Expose him. 

1 hour ago, PuckPundit said:

The smart thing to do is expose Price to free up the $10.5 million cap space. Use the freed cap to invest in a PMD and build a proper D corps. Let Weber return to Nashville to retire with them and clear his cap as well.

Lol. Lose price for nothing. Hilarious. Just to have a few million left over. Hsha. And that builds a defence? The defends does noT need rebuilding  

2 hours ago, dreegking said:

Lol. Lose price for nothing. Hilarious. Just to have a few million left over. Hsha. And that builds a defence? The defends does noT need rebuilding 

Not going to happen anyway, of course he's expensive but he has shown time and again that he's the only guy on this roster capable of playing at an elite level. With Allen and a PMD instead of Price, there's a strong chance we don't even make it to the 2nd round. I truly hope he retires a Hab one day, I don't want to see him anywhere else.

6 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Not going to happen anyway, of course he's expensive but he has shown time and again that he's the only guy on this roster capable of playing at an elite level. With Allen and a PMD instead of Price, there's a strong chance we don't even make it to the 2nd round. I truly hope he retires a Hab one day, I don't want to see him anywhere else.

As long as MB is here - especially after this year's playoffs - i think Price remains a hab for life.   He's also the veteran whose age I worry the least about. Its rare for a defenseman or a forward to be effective after a certain age but we've seen plenty of older goaltenders do just as well as their younger counterparts. 

I love what Allen brought to the team this year. He was solid and just what we needed. That said there are going to be options for a back up along with Primeau. Halak is going to be a free agent even. So I wouldn't go over board giving away picks ect. to make Seattle not take him. He's been good but if we lose him it won't break the team.

10 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I love what Allen brought to the team this year. He was solid and just what we needed. That said there are going to be options for a back up along with Primeau. Halak is going to be a free agent even. So I wouldn't go over board giving away picks ect. to make Seattle not take him. He's been good but if we lose him it won't break the team.

Absolutely. Great signing. Carey getting hurt yearly now. Needed Allen badly. Or the fade would have cost a playoff birth like past years where the team just tail spinned and fell away. You need average or better goaltending these days. Just gotta have it with all the skill these days. 

as for trades or playing games. No way. Bergeron has planned well to ha for the loss of several likely players. 

it’s all good. lose a player like everyone else. Keep vastly underrated and unheralded  Danualt. Same exact role as now. Pay him the top offer. And some teams will offer very good money In FA. Likely the Kraken themselves. 

Re-up a couple of the young ones. 

this team is built right

• H_T_L locked this topic