Posted (edited)

DAM!!! 4-1 now. 

Challenged for off-side. 

NO GOAL!!!!

Still 4-0. :freu1:

Edited by kinot-2
Posted (edited)

1-0 US.

Alfie Turcotte's (remember him?) son scored. 

Edited by kinot-2

Have had the chance to watch a few of the WJC games... the guy I've been most impressed with has easily been Byram. Great skill at both ends and yet another young star in the making for Colorado. He's a guy I really wanted the Habs to push for in a trade and would have given up Price or Weber or others to grab him, given Colorado having been rumored to be willing to go all in over the past year or two.

Have also been quite happy with what I've seen from Guehle. He's been positionally sound, he skates better than I thought, and he's got a heavy shot. I don't see him becoming a top pairing D man, but he looks like he could become a serviceable NHLer. Have also liked what I've seen from the likes of Newhook, Krebs, Tomasino, Quinn, McMichael, Zary...

A couple of guys conversely that I've been more hesitant about... Byfield looks so skilled, great stride, nice shot, good size. He's got so many tools. And yet I'll say what I said at the draft, is he just feels like he's got high bust potential. I look at him and I worry about his being another Benoit Pouliot. Maybe he's a Jeff Carter or Evgeni Malkin the way some scouts say he'll be, but I just get a bad feeling about him. Even if he goes on to be a great NHLer, I just don't get the thought that he's a guy you build a franchise around. Drysdale's a guy I was actually high on at the draft, and I've been impressed with him defensively this tournament, but I've been less enthused about his skating and puck handling. He's got some work to do to iron out some of those issues.

As for non-Canadians, I'm also down a bit on Mysak after seeing him play. He's also a sound positional player and he seemed to be pretty good on face-offs, but I didn't like his creativity with the puck, I didn't like his stride, and I thought he often just shot the puck right at the goalie. I saw a lot of the media thought he had a great tournament and grant it, he was playing on a bad team, but I didn't see a lot things that are going to make him a regular NHLer. He's got more of a Kyle Chipchura feel to him to me.

I did like Tim Stuetzle, who looks like he's going to be a star. He was a guy I singled out at this year's draft and the player I would have selected #2 after Lafreniere. I even wondered if he might end up being better than Lafreniere. Trevor Zegras is another guy who's impressed, and he's the guy I labeled the steal of the draft in 2019. He and Byram were the two guys I loved in that draft year, and my opinion of them has only been reinforced by what I've seen at this year's World Juniors.

Posted (edited)

3-1 now. PP goal. Caulfield gets an A. 

Edited by kinot-2
Posted (edited)

Well, either Guhle or Caulfield will win the gold. :)

Fast paced game. 

Edited by kinot-2
  • H_T_L locked this topic