Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Corey Perry


HabsRuleForever
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 28/12/2020 at 0:53 PM, maas_art said:

I wonder if the recent signings (frolik, Perry) are influenced by the quarantine rules.

In  previous years, MB may have waited to "see what we have" before trading for a player like these guys but now, if you trade for someone and they come from out of country for sure (and possibly other teams too, not sure) they will have to quarantine.  you wont have access to those players for 14 days, which is a decent chunk of time. 

   I think Perry won't have problems with a quarantine ....apparently he's been working out with Suzuki here in London Ontario ...ever since he played for the Knights in Junior he's maintained connections to this town ...he's regularly been seen and plays a fair amount of golf here in the off-season ...at least in the past ...I also think playing in Canada was appealing to him given the total Covid fiasco in the States ...perhaps Suzuki had something to do with acquiring him ....perhaps they'll play with each other this year ....hmmm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, arpem-can said:

   I think Perry won't have problems with a quarantine ....apparently he's been working out with Suzuki here in London Ontario ...ever since he played for the Knights in Junior he's maintained connections to this town ...he's regularly been seen and plays a fair amount of golf here in the off-season ...at least in the past ...I also think playing in Canada was appealing to him given the total Covid fiasco in the States ...perhaps Suzuki had something to do with acquiring him ....perhaps they'll play with each other this year ....hmmm

Yeah thats not what I was saying. I was saying that because the new covid rules will mean that players may have to quarantine after trades, guys like MB who usually would take a "wait and see' approach, are making these sorts of signings now, so that they dont have to make a trade & then wait 2 weeks to get the guy on the roster during the season.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah thats not what I was saying. I was saying that because the new covid rules will mean that players may have to quarantine after trades, guys like MB who usually would take a "wait and see' approach, are making these sorts of signings now, so that they dont have to make a trade & then wait 2 weeks to get the guy on the roster during the season.

 

      yeah I see what you meant now ...if this is true we might see a few players moving soon ...any way you cut it there isn't going to be a pre-season so it's even a bit of a crap shoot right off the bat for "new" players ..Montreal's off season acquisitions seem to have enough NHL experience to hopefully offset new systems and expectations of the club  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love this signing, will add more grit to our forwards.  Has plenty of playoff experience, may not be the fastest player on the roster and certainly not the player he was a few years ago but a definite upgrade over Weal, Byron IMO.

 

And adds the one thing we have missed the last few years, another player that will go to the front of the net

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No matter how you look at it signing Corey Perry was a 'great move for Montreal ! His character ? Give me a break. You mean, Winning, Leadership, Loyalty ? Perry was a beast in front of the net for Dallas and he will be for Montreal. Lets hope he plays early and often because he is a WINNER..... GO HABS GO

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bobby46 said:

No matter how you look at it signing Corey Perry was a 'great move for Montreal ! His character ? Give me a break. You mean, Winning, Leadership, Loyalty ? Perry was a beast in front of the net for Dallas and he will be for Montreal. Lets hope he plays early and often because he is a WINNER..... GO HABS GO

 

 

 

 

Welcome to the forum Mr. Perry :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perry was such a great sign. What a player and leader. Winning wherever he goes. Good luck COREY. 

Hopefully he sees a lot of ice time as he is a 'beast on the power play.  GO HABS GO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, bobby46 said:

Perry was such a great sign. What a player and leader. Winning wherever he goes. Good luck COREY. 

Hopefully he sees a lot of ice time as he is a 'beast on the power play.  GO HABS GO

We got a 35 year old player, who last won the cup in 2007.    Whose game has slowed significantly and hasn't scored more than 19g (diminishing every year) in the last 4 seasons.    At this point in his Career, all Perry brings is size and maybe leadership.    While I don't hate the signing ... I also don't believe it makes us better in any way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Is Corey Perry playing himself into the starting lineup? Personally I like Armia but I think Perry is definitely earning that spot.

Don't forget that Armia could be inserted in the line-up and pull someone else out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Don't forget that Armia could be inserted in the line-up and pull someone else out. 

I also forgot that with Armia out we are building daily cap space so we could keep both on the roster once Armia returns. Also Perry was recalled on an emergency call up so he is still technically on the taxi squad. Which means his 30/10 clock has not started yet. See link

https://mobile.twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1354115092456083456?s=09https://mobile.twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1354115092456083456?s=09

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Is Corey Perry playing himself into the starting lineup? Personally I like Armia but I think Perry is definitely earning that spot.

He has looked responsible, and has created a few scoring chances in each game he has played, without being a defensive liability. He's definitely not hurting us.  Let Armia get up to 100%.  This is a luxury, that we never had before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, electron58 said:

He has looked responsible, and has created a few scoring chances in each game he has played, without being a defensive liability. He's definitely not hurting us.  Let Armia get up to 100%.  This is a luxury, that we never had before.

100% no point rushing Armia back in make sure he is good to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, electron58 said:

He has looked responsible, and has created a few scoring chances in each game he has played, without being a defensive liability. He's definitely not hurting us.  Let Armia get up to 100%.  This is a luxury, that we never had before.

Agreed. Corey Perry is an NHLer who deserves to be playing. With that said, I'm sure he came to Montreal knowing he may be part of the taxi squad. It's nice knowing we have him to step into the lineup! I'm sure there are going to be so many injuries throughout the season that he'll seem like a regular contributor, playing most nights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Is Corey Perry playing himself into the starting lineup? Personally I like Armia but I think Perry is definitely earning that spot.

 

11 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Don't forget that Armia could be inserted in the line-up and pull someone else out. 

Super smart play by Corey. Its not a surprise, he's only a few years removed from being an elite player, so its no shock he's still quite useful. The problem is our depth. You arent playing him at centre and he isnt taking the place of any of our top 4 wingers (Tatar, Gallagher, Drouin, Anderson) or Toffoli.  

That leaves Armia, Lehkonen, and Byron. All 3 of those players are useful and probably more 'well rounded" than Perry at this stage of his career.  I am not sure Julien bumps any of those guys - who are all extremely good on the PK - for Perry on a regular basis. On the flipside he brings something they dont and thats net-presence on the PP. He's still a beast if he can get into the slot. Takes him a little longer to get there but once he's set up, he makes your PP way more effective.   

Will be interesting to see what Julien does. 

 

55 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Agreed. Corey Perry is an NHLer who deserves to be playing. With that said, I'm sure he came to Montreal knowing he may be part of the taxi squad. It's nice knowing we have him to step into the lineup! I'm sure there are going to be so many injuries throughout the season that he'll seem like a regular contributor, playing most nights.

There was an interesting interview with Frolik the other day who essentially said this.  They knew what they were signing up for, they hope they will get a chance to play, the season is long etc etc.   I am sure it still weighs on them and they want to be playing but it is what it is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. Armia is not on LTIR, so his cap hit is still counting right now.

2. I also saw Perry was supposedly an emergency recall, but I don't know how this is the case. My understanding of emergency recall was that it was for situations when a team had less than 18 skaters available. We still have Mete around, even though he's a D man. You would think he'd have to be inserted before you could claim emergency need for bodies.

3. Perry has played well, but I'll take Byron/Lehkonen/Armia over him still. He's also older so doesn't hurt to give him less games and keep him rested.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

1. Armia is not on LTIR, so his cap hit is still counting right now.

2. I also saw Perry was supposedly an emergency recall, but I don't know how this is the case. My understanding of emergency recall was that it was for situations when a team had less than 18 skaters available. We still have Mete around, even though he's a D man. You would think he'd have to be inserted before you could claim emergency need for bodies.

3. Perry has played well, but I'll take Byron/Lehkonen/Armia over him still. He's also older so doesn't hurt to give him less games and keep him rested.

I agree with # 3 He is doing ok now but you can see he does not have the speed that is not going to get any better!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

1. Armia is not on LTIR, so his cap hit is still counting right now.

2. I also saw Perry was supposedly an emergency recall, but I don't know how this is the case. My understanding of emergency recall was that it was for situations when a team had less than 18 skaters available. We still have Mete around, even though he's a D man. You would think he'd have to be inserted before you could claim emergency need for bodies.

3. Perry has played well, but I'll take Byron/Lehkonen/Armia over him still. He's also older so doesn't hurt to give him less games and keep him rested.

2. Yeah they definitely said in the media it was an emergency recall. Not sure how either. 

3. I do agree. He's a luxury (exploitation scorer) to have in your bottom 6 but when you have the sort of depth and quality we have in our bottom lines, there's no need for that player on a nightly basis.  If he's taking the space of Jacob DeLarose or Peca or Weal or something, then yeah, you use him. But when you have Byron and Lekhs as your bottom line wingers, you dont really need a role-player game in and game out.  If the PP struggles, if there's injuries etc then its great having him and Frolik on call though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

1. Armia is not on LTIR, so his cap hit is still counting right now.

2. I also saw Perry was supposedly an emergency recall, but I don't know how this is the case. My understanding of emergency recall was that it was for situations when a team had less than 18 skaters available. We still have Mete around, even though he's a D man. You would think he'd have to be inserted before you could claim emergency need for bodies.

3. Perry has played well, but I'll take Byron/Lehkonen/Armia over him still. He's also older so doesn't hurt to give him less games and keep him rested.

I think because he was called up on Saturday while both Armia and Byron were on the IR and we had 18 skaters we were allowed to recall Perry on an emergency basis. Here is a quote from the following link that explains it.

However, if the team goes to less than 12 Forwards & 6 Defencemen available due to COVID and not enough cap space to call replacements up, they do not have to play 1 game with less than 18 skaters like normal. They can skip the 1 game with less than 18 skaters, and replace the missing Forwards or Defencemen with a player with a Cap Hit of $1M or less immediately.

https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/21TransitionPP

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I think because he was called up on Saturday while both Armia and Byron were on the IR and we had 18 skaters we were allowed to recall Perry on an emergency basis. Here is a quote from the following link that explains it.

However, if the team goes to less than 12 Forwards & 6 Defencemen available due to COVID and not enough cap space to call replacements up, they do not have to play 1 game with less than 18 skaters like normal. They can skip the 1 game with less than 18 skaters, and replace the missing Forwards or Defencemen with a player with a Cap Hit of $1M or less immediately.

https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/21TransitionPP

Never mind I missed the part about COVID lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...