The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Corey Perry

HabsRuleForever

Touch wood, but when's the last time that we (or anybody, really) had a completely healthy team for any length of time?  Having someone waiting that "should" be in the lineup on a regular basis is a pretty great problem to have. Unfortunately, in all likelihood we're realistically not going to have to worry about that decision much anyway.

Just now, Manatee-X said:

Touch wood, but when's the last time that we (or anybody, really) had a completely healthy team for any length of time?  Having someone waiting that "should" be in the lineup on a regular basis is a pretty great problem to have. Unfortunately, in all likelihood we're realistically not going to have to worry about that decision much anyway.

Very true. 

Perry, Mete, Frolik - even Poehling and Fleury - are probably on many team's "regular" rosters.

So looks like for emergency recall that each position counts separately. So the fact we're under 12 forwards was sufficient to justify calling up Perry. However, you still only get 9 games based on emergency recall. After that, the games count as regular recall. I would also wonder if the Habs might at some point send Perry back and use Frolik for a couple of games to distribute the recall games more evenly and permit them to last longer (if Armia isn't back soon enough that is).

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

So looks like for emergency recall that each position counts separately. So the fact we're under 12 forwards was sufficient to justify calling up Perry. However, you still only get 9 games based on emergency recall. After that, the games count as regular recall. I would also wonder if the Habs might at some point send Perry back and use Frolik for a couple of games to distribute the recall games more evenly and permit them to last longer (if Armia isn't back soon enough that is).

if it gets to 9 games, you could put Armia on the IR retroactively without much risk

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

If Armia's injury extends beyond the 9 games would he then be placed on the LTIR list? I imagine that changes the Cap situation at that point?

52 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

If Armia's injury extends beyond the 9 games would he then be placed on the LTIR list? I imagine that changes the Cap situation at that point?

Sort of it helps our situation now but it hurts our ability to build deadline cap as a player on LTIR's cap does not count towards deadline space.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah i was wondering about Frolik too. Sounds like he was hoping he'd get a shot if Armia is out for a bit.   

If we do switch then does the 9 games reset or would (assuming we did it for next game) Frolik be on game #3?   Usually its based on the callup but the 9 games rule seems to be based on the player being replaced so I assume that means we wouldnt be about to play Perry for 9 and then Frolik for 9, both under emergency rules - but, as mentioned, if it goes that long Armia almost certainly goes on the IR retroactively meaning both players could be called up with the cap savings. 

3 hours ago, habsisme said:

if it gets to 9 games, you could put Armia on the IR retroactively without much risk

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah i was wondering about Frolik too. Sounds like he was hoping he'd get a shot if Armia is out for a bit.   

If we do switch then does the 9 games reset or would (assuming we did it for next game) Frolik be on game #3?   Usually its based on the callup but the 9 games rule seems to be based on the player being replaced so I assume that means we wouldnt be about to play Perry for 9 and then Frolik for 9, both under emergency rules - but, as mentioned, if it goes that long Armia almost certainly goes on the IR retroactively meaning both players could be called up with the cap savings. 

Yes, you could put Armia on LTIR if it looks like he'll end up missing close to the 10 games for that. But that doesn't change what it does for Perry. We're already using him as an emergency recall and we have the roster/cap space for him even without putting Armia on LTIR.

The issue is how long you can keep Perry up without having to expose him to waivers to send him back down. At present, he is being used as an emergency recall. That means when Armia is back (or when we get to 12 healthy forwards for whatever reason)  the emergency recall is over. The emergency recall rules also end if Perry gets to 9 games played. After that, he is forced to be used as a regular recall. With a regular recall, you also get 9 games before you require waivers. So if Armia actually does miss 9 games, Perry could technically play 9 + 9 = 18 games without needing waivers to be sent back to the taxi squad. If Armia comes back after 4 games, then Perry can play a maximum of 4 + 9 = 13 games without needing waivers to go back down. I suspect if it got to that, given that they now have the cap room, they would just keep him up the rest of the season.

What I was suggesting could make sense is to rotate Perry and Frolik through the recalls to help preserve their freedom from waivers. For example, if you sent Perry back now and used Frolik as an emergency recall for the next two games, then let's say Armia came back after that, you could still recall Perry and Frolik later for up to 9 games each without losing them to waivers. If you use up all of Perry's emergency recall now but none for Frolik, then after Armia's back they still each have 9 games of regular recall left.

If Armia goes on LTIR, then yes, you save his cap hit and can just recall both Perry and Frolik, but that doesn't save you from their running counts against recall waivers and it doesn't help you save cap space to be able to add someone else at the deadline later.

9 hours ago, electron58 said:

Has there been a date set when the rosters are opened up? Some time after the trade deadline?

Took a while, but I found this.

From the end of the trade deadline until the end of the regular season there is no roster limit, however a team is only allowed to recall 4 players from their American Hockey league team. The team is allowed an unlimited number of emergency recalls if there are injuries on your current roster. Still have to be below the cap, though. 

Trade Deadline = April 12, @ 3pm

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

It is interesting that he has the same point totals as Dano in less than half the games.........and Dano has Tater and Gally as linemates!

I have a feeling that Danault already regrets not signing that contract extension (if the reports are accurate).

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

It is interesting that he has the same point totals as Dano in less than half the games.........and Dano has Tater and Gally as linemates!

Yeah i mean obviously Danault does a lot more than points but so far this year he's been really underwhelming in the scoring dept. He's looked lost at times in the offensive zone which is rather odd for him. 

Id be inclined to switch Dano and JK at this moment if it werent for the fact that Toffoli and Perry have been very good in their own rights. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah i mean obviously Danault does a lot more than points but so far this year he's been really underwhelming in the scoring dept. He's looked lost at times in the offensive zone which is rather odd for him. 

Id be inclined to switch Dano and JK at this moment if it werent for the fact that Toffoli and Perry have been very good in their own rights. 

I'm okay to keep everything the same as long as the team is humming along. Danault hasn't had a great start, but it's possible he could have a big night tonight and get three assists. My question is, what happens to Perry when Armia is back?

Right now, Perry is looking like he deserves to keep playing.

33 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

My question is, what happens to Perry when Armia is back?

Right now, Perry is looking like he deserves to keep playing.

He does but he's also 35 and this year is a very grueling schedule. (right now they are in a stretch of 5 games in 8 nights!)... so i feel like when Armia comes back, Perry gets a bit of rest.   

There's honestly no one on the roster Id bump him for right now.  All 4 lines are clicking and while Perry can give you a couple of elite shifts every game, Id rather have Byron, Lekhs or Evans for most of the game - just imho.

4 hours ago, ChiLla said:

I have a feeling that Danault already regrets not signing that contract extension (if the reports are accurate).

That's gotta be weighing on his mind for sure. And I  believe it's affecting his game. He's making uncharacteristically poor plays both offensively and defensively.  He may be trying too hard. It's unfortunate,  because he should just play his game and hope things work out, contract wise.

He does but he's also 35 and this year is a very grueling schedule. (right now they are in a stretch of 5 games in 8 nights!)... so i feel like when Armia comes back, Perry gets a bit of a rest.

Exactly.  Julien has to watch out how much he plays our senior citizens. & that includes Shee Weber. He's already playing Weber way too much.

There's honestly no one on the roster Id bump him for right now.  All 4 lines are clicking and while Perry can give you a couple of elite shifts every game, Id rather have Byron, Lekhs or Evans for most of the game - just imho.

All things considered,  when well rested, I wouldn't have a problem rotating him in for Byron, waivers or not. Ofcourse,  he would need more rest,  but he does bring more smarts to the table. 

• 1 month later...

So I have kind of watching Perry so far this year to see if he is tailing off or not producing, so far only 4 players have more goals than him! all with more games played. also many folks want to replace him with either Byron or Lehks both players i really like but i am also think we need to get rid of them as they just don't produce enough! Perry has 5 goals and 5 assists in 19 games and is plus 7 Byron has 2 goals 5 assists in 25 games and is plus 2 Lehks has 2 goals 2 assists in 20 games and is -2 they are younger and faster have played either more games or close to the same as old man Perry. I know they are not all used in the same situations but they have no excuse to have so little production compared to an old used up Perry. I think some of our supporting cast is letting us down up front.

33 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

So I have kind of watching Perry so far this year to see if he is tailing off or not producing, so far only 4 players have more goals than him! all with more games played. also many folks want to replace him with either Byron or Lehks both players i really like but i am also think we need to get rid of them as they just don't produce enough! Perry has 5 goals and 5 assists in 19 games and is plus 7 Byron has 2 goals 5 assists in 25 games and is plus 2 Lehks has 2 goals 2 assists in 20 games and is -2 they are younger and faster have played either more games or close to the same as old man Perry. I know they are not all used in the same situations but they have no excuse to have so little production compared to an old used up Perry. I think some of our supporting cast is letting us down up front.

Want another interesting stat Perry has as many goals as the Sabres 5 highest paid players combined and played less games

24 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Want another interesting stat Perry has as many goals as the Sabres 5 highest paid players combined and played less games

Yeah but that is the Sabres is that even a real hockey team anymore? LOL! it is kind of crazy when you think about it. Eichel must want out of there so bad! he is going to waste his career!

4 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah but that is the Sabres is that even a real hockey team anymore? LOL! it is kind of crazy when you think about it. Eichel must want out of there so bad! he is going to waste his career!

Sorry my mistake it was their 4 highest paid players lol. Yeah even though it is the Sabres we are talking about some big names. Eichel, Skinner, Hall, and Okoposo

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 3:33 PM, ramcharger440 said:

The thing is though, an "old used up Perry" is still Corey Perry.  In his prime he was an absolutely elite offensive force.  He's still got that vision, he's still got those hands and he's still pretty big & strong. 

We have the luxury of using him in a bottom 6 role where we can mostly shelter him & then use him exploitatively (PP, certain offensive zone starts etc).   I guess there was no certainty it would work but Im actually surprised he didnt start on the main roster because i think his success was actually predictable. I guess they were worried that byron would get claimed at the beginning of the season. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • H_T_L locked this topic