The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Corey Perry

HabsRuleForever

14 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Unlike in Montreal , There’s a love fest for Corey perry in Toronto .  He hits, stands on the edge of the crease and wins 

Why not in Montreal? I don‘t think anyone has any issues with Perry. He‘s been great during his time here.

25 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Why not in Montreal? I don‘t think anyone has any issues with Perry. He‘s been great during his time here.

I read a lot of people saying he should sit 

Just now, Regis22 said:

Oh, okay. Like on this forum or in the press/media in general? My insight is limited but I think he’s been a great addition, he‘s not a first-liner anymore but still highly effective as a role player. I honestly don’t see anything I don’t like, especially once you take his cap hit into account.

2 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

On this sight . He seems ok to me . Only guy that is willing to stand in front of the net during the pp . 

No doubt, and he's very effective there too.

50 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Unlike in Montreal , There’s a love fest for Corey perry in Toronto .  He hits, stands on the edge of the crease and wins 

34 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

9 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

The vast majority of people I have heard who have suggested he should sit have said so in terms of load-management and who is sitting in his place.  

For example, early on we had CC sitting and Perry dressing because everyone was healthy. I think a lot of people didnt like that idea.  When Evans and Lehks got injured it was a much easier decision but what if everyone is healthy?  Do you dress Perry but sit Evans? What about Lehkonen or Byron?  Tatar?   They arent easy choices.  Tatar has been not so good since returning from injury but he's given us quality 15+ minutes  a night all season long, against tough opponents - Perry gets mostly sheltered minutes & PP time.  

I like Perry - Actually i REALLY like him & I think his signing was one of the best by MB this year - not just in terms of value but also what he's brining in terms of mentorship - the young guys like Suzuki and CC have mentioned his leadership many times, but depending upon the game & the situation I may well sit him if the choice came down to say Lehkonen vs. Perry.   

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The vast majority of people I have heard who have suggested he should sit have said so in terms of load-management and who is sitting in his place.  

For example, early on we had CC sitting and Perry dressing because everyone was healthy. I think a lot of people didnt like that idea.  When Evans and Lehks got injured it was a much easier decision but what if everyone is healthy?  Do you dress Perry but sit Evans? What about Lehkonen or Byron?  Tatar?   They arent easy choices.  Tatar has been not so good since returning from injury but he's given us quality 15+ minutes  a night all season long, against tough opponents - Perry gets mostly sheltered minutes & PP time.  

I like Perry - Actually i REALLY like him & I think his signing was one of the best by MB this year - not just in terms of value but also what he's brining in terms of mentorship - the young guys like Suzuki and CC have mentioned his leadership many times, but depending upon the game & the situation I may well sit him if the choice came down to say Lehkonen vs. Perry.   

Makes sense but I don't really see them benching him at this point, especially not against Winnipeg. Not saying he should regularly take Byron's spot on the PK or anything but compared to e.g. Tatar and his playoff history, I'm definitely more comfortable with Perry in the lineup right now. Sure, that may change in a couple of games depending on how the series unfolds, but right now it's his spot to lose I think.

1 minute ago, ChiLla said:

Makes sense but I don't really see them benching him at this point, especially not against Winnipeg. Not saying he should regularly take Byron's spot on the PK or anything but compared to e.g. Tatar and his playoff history, I'm definitely more comfortable with Perry in the lineup right now. Sure, that may change in a couple of games depending on how the series unfolds, but right now it's his spot to lose I think.

Oh for sure. Unless he's gassed i dont see any chance of him not being in the lineup.

The other thing is: the team right now can handle a Perry - Staal exploitation line. Its actually a nice luxury. Since our top 9 are competent in any situation you can get the willy veterans out there against hte other team's 4th line and get a real mis-match happening.  The problem becomes their winger, who often doesnt get much icetime because he's with those 2.  

Perry is still a viable player in his role and seems to be really good in the room. If we ever get the the place in these playoffs where we have someone who is really better than him in front of the net on the pp we will be in really good shape I just don't see it.

31 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Perry is still a viable player in his role and seems to be really good in the room. If we ever get the the place in these playoffs where we have someone who is really better than him in front of the net on the pp we will be in really good shape I just don't see it.

Gally does a pretty good job at it.

So funny to hear people still rip on Perry  ..... You can look at the last 3 games and make the argument he was key to us winning ALL of them including the game winner last night....  Sit him ? really,  so less of everything that got us here and NO ONE like  him in front of the net ? Not only has Perry probably saved the head coach and the GM'S jobs, MONTREAL should resign him and give him a raise..........  just sayin

44 minutes ago, bobby46 said:

So funny to hear people still rip on Perry  ..... You can look at the last 3 games and make the argument he was key to us winning ALL of them including the game winner last night....  Sit him ? really,  so less of everything that got us here and NO ONE like  him in front of the net ? Not only has Perry probably saved the head coach and the GM'S jobs, MONTREAL should resign him and give him a raise..........  just sayin

Who is ripping on him?

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

Who is ripping on him?

exactly! its like people read the first few words of a post and then reply.  i dont see anyone having anything particularly negative to say about Perry, nor have i seen anyone say so since his entire time here!

21 minutes ago, maas_art said:

exactly! its like people read the first few words of a post and then reply.  i dont see anyone having anything particularly negative to say about Perry, nor have i seen anyone say so since his entire time here!

I know! the guy is exactly what we hoped he would be he is at the end of his career but he still can be effective!

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

I know! the guy is exactly what we hoped he would be he is at the end of his career but he still can be effective!

Well worth the salary.

I liked Perry from the start of season.  He was used sparingly at first and earned his way into the lineup like an aging veteran should.  He has great hands and is deceptive while making nice short plays to move the puck.  He plays mostly clean but gets under the opponents skin.  Can hold on to the puck in o zone better than most the team. Still throws a hit and is very resilient.  He doesn't seem to give up much for turn overs and can play with a wide variety of linemates.  Always involved. 

His best quality is how he handles and moves the puck as it makes up for his lack of speed in a huge way.  Our never ending (until recently) problem with cycling seems to stem from guys getting bumped off easy and poor o zone positioning with not enough short passes and puck support.  Perry also uses the boards well.  One thing though is sometimes he should take the shot instead of making the extra pass but that's something you can say about a lot of players.

Another big plus is that Perry thrives in high pressure situations which is an important quality to have in montreal!  He's been as important an acquisition as most the other newcomers this year, especially taking playoffs into consideration.  All in all great value pick up and I hope he's back next season.  One of the most underrated Canadien, who knows if that comeback would have been possible without him.  He's another veteran Hab that makes you wish he could have been here when he was 5-10 years younger.  Oh well, wish in one hand...

On 6/2/2021 at 6:27 AM, Mr--Huet said:

Wow, just watched an elbow he threw last year while playing for Dallas.  Glad he hasn't pulled that crap for the Habs!

Well he did knee a player in the head ( kidding )

On 6/2/2021 at 3:27 AM, Mr--Huet said:

Wow, just watched an elbow he threw last year while playing for Dallas.  Glad he hasn't pulled that crap for the Habs!

33 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Well he did knee a player in the head ( kidding )

Perry has always been a pest. Usually its the annoying type of moves - 'accidentally' taps the goalie in the face with his stick after a scrum or just happens to turn around & catch a guy with his elbow after the whistle.  It annoying (for the opposition), its super obvious (to everyone) but its generally pretty harmless & just like past pests like Esa Tikkanen and Theo Fleury from the past, its a great way to get under your opponent's skin. 

Every now and again though, those taps are hard or those elbows land in a major way & i agree, its not ideal. He's been suspended a few times & im glad he's been playing chipping but not dirty, with us. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, bobby46 said:

WARRIOR !

...yup ....and no penalty right in front of the refs ....everybody including fans of other teams now know what the game is when the NHL is run by an American...cash poor Arizona but no Quebec City ..

• H_T_L locked this topic