The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Corey Perry

HabsRuleForever

10 hours ago, Regis22 said:

MB already said he made him an offer, then said there’s only so much you can give . So the ball is in Perry’s court . Tampa has no taxes ( I think ) and better weather so perry could decide to go live in that coivid infested country 

I think Perry will probably just take a few days to see everything that's out there. He seems like he wants to win a Cup. I would guess his odds of signing with another team would provide him that opportunity.

Yup. More than any of our other UFA he's the guy i hoped would be back - especially for guys like CC and Suzuki to learn from but maybe he's already imparted enough wisdom.

Ultimately I suspect that 2nd year was the hitch for MB. 

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Signed with Tampa for 2 years

Makes sense. He's played against them in the Finals in the past two years and lost. He clearly wants one more Cup before retiring. Good on him for earning himself a two-year deal there. He really showed his value down the stretch with us.

44 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

What a shame. oh well MB is a fool sometimes.

I thought he wanted to play here? If I wanted to be somewhere at his advanced (for sports) age and

they wanted me, I'd be there. If it came down to a second year or an extra $250k per year, he didn't want

to play here.

11 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Makes sense. He's played against them in the Finals in the past two years and lost. He clearly wants one more Cup before retiring. Good on him for earning himself a two-year deal there. He really showed his value down the stretch with us.

I have a feeling they arent winning again once they get their cap sorted out.   We shall see.. Right now they are about $5m over with a bare minimum roster signed... 

10 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I have a feeling they arent winning again once they get their cap sorted out.   We shall see.. Right now they are about $5m over with a bare minimum roster signed... 

I think they'll still be competitive. I think he gives himself a decent chance of clawing his way into another Final in the next two years.

11 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think they'll still be competitive. I think he gives himself a decent chance of clawing his way into another Final in the next two years.

Oh i definitely think they'll be competitive but I dont think it will be enough for the cup but we shall see!   He's definitely given himself a better shot than if he had re-upped here! 

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

too bad ....it would be too ironic if Montreal played them in the final next year and beat them 

Id feel bad for Perry but id be very happy (although the latest we could play them is 2nd round). 

15 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Shame to loose him. Would a 2nd year really have been that hard to swallow? Would have been worth signing for the potential trade deadline bait alone. 

Tough to say. I know what you are saying but next season could be tricky with expiring contracts & Weber possibly back...  i can see why MB wanted flexibility but if the only stumbling block was that extra year, i might have done it. Its not like we'd be paying him 2 or 3 mil etc. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Tough to say. I know what you are saying but next season could be tricky with expiring contracts & Weber possibly back...  i can see why MB wanted flexibility but if the only stumbling block was that extra year, i might have done it. Its not like we'd be paying him 2 or 3 mil etc. 

I hear ya, and that’s what I’m saying. What’s a million bucks, just burry it, buy it out, trade it. And besides, I’ve got my doubts about Weber. Maybe, just maybe he squeaks out one last post season, but after that I think that’ll be all she wrote 

A lot of people seem to believe Perry wanted to re-sign with Montreal and this was some massive whiff by MB. I would guess Perry chose to sign in TB because he feels it gives him a good chance to make it back to the Finals. Dude is not in it for the money anymore.

11 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

He also signed for 2 years . He’s 36 .  As the season goes on we would complain he’s stealing as spot from a younger player.  It is what it is 

^^This - Corey Perry has value as a playoff performer- our main challenge next year is to make it to the playoffs and I’m not convinced that CP takes us to that level. I’d rather give Ylonen the ice time especially in the 2nd year if not this year. 

56 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

He also signed for 2 years . He’s 36 .  As the season goes on we would complain he’s stealing as spot from a younger player.  It is what it is 

I'd agree with you with nearly all the aging vets the habs have taken in and played in place of youngsters except this one instance with perry.  At worst we could have waived or traded him if the time came to do it.  This ain't like romanov being benched in favor of the guys that replaced him (and all the prospects over the years that struggled to stay with the big league team), perry was still really useful and didn't make a peep during the times his minutes and games were being managed.  He played his way into the lineup like everyone should and was cheap.  And it doesn't change the fact that the young guys will continue to be led with a short leash.  Always lots of bargain bin stuff available.

1 hour ago, Mr--Huet said:

I'd agree with you with nearly all the aging vets the habs have taken in and played in place of youngsters except this one instance with perry.  At worst we could have waived or traded him if the time came to do it.  This ain't like romanov being benched in favor of the guys that replaced him (and all the prospects over the years that struggled to stay with the big league team), perry was still really useful and didn't make a peep during the times his minutes and games were being managed.  He played his way into the lineup like everyone should and was cheap.  And it doesn't change the fact that the young guys will continue to be led with a short leash.  Always lots of bargain bin stuff available.

100%

• H_T_L locked this topic