Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H_T_L

SEASON OPENER. Habs vs Leafs. Wed Jan 13th.

Final Score   21 members have voted

1. 1. Predict the final score

• Habs win by 1
    • Habs win by 2
    • Habs win by 3 or more
    • Habs lose by 1
    • Habs lose by 2
    • Habs lose by 3 or more
    • Game postponed because of covid

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

163 posts in this topic

I thought we pretty much outplayed them. The OT left me shaking my head about deployment choices. It was like we were playing for the shootout rather then going for it. 

5 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I thought we pretty much outplayed them. The OT left me shaking my head about deployment choices. It was like we were playing for the shootout rather then going for it. 

I agree with both. I thought Suzuki Anderson Petry would of been the start of OT. If you are going to start with Danault I would of had Tatar with him with Weber. How about JK with Droiun or Gallager or and Romanov? 

25 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Agree. We were the better team most of the night. If they play like this for most of the games we should be sitting pretty by the end of the year. 

And as for OT... you know, Chairot has grown on me but on 3 on 3?  Please.  Id rather see Romanov look lost or burn out Petry in OT. Kulak would have been a better choice than BC.

16 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree with both. I thought Suzuki Anderson Petry would of been the start of OT. If you are going to start with Danault I would of had Tatar with him with Weber. How about JK with Droiun or Gallager or and Romanov? 

Yeah Claude plays it too safe at times. He clearly wanted Anderson (Hot hand) and Petry (best skating D) on the ice to start OT so he threw his most trusted centre out with him (Danault) but was he not watching the same game we were?   Suzuki was off the charts good at both ends of the ice - and he and Anderson have something special going already.  My guess is the next time OT comes around Suzuki-Anderson-Petry will start and Tatar-Danault-Weber will be your second group.  I dont actually love Weber on the OT (even though he's remarkably good at positioning).

1 hour ago, claremont said:

I don't see both of those as long term keepers - Could be a case of Edmundson getting used to playing zone defence again with Petry - they may need some time to gel but Edmundson certainly did not impress. Toffoli had some chances. Read some of the earlier reviews - Great outing by Anderson as he wall papered a few leafs. Most of the forwards did OK except for Lehks. Byron and Danualt had some chances to score and whiffed. Very impressed with Romanov. Kulak was not out of place. The biggest weakness was the mental one of staying out of the penalty box as the only thing the leafs have of significance is their Power Play and goalie Anderson. Jumbo Joe looks out of it on Matthews line - let's hope that weakness stays together as Hyman significantly improves that line. 

The Leafs PP went 2\4 for 50% ours went 2\3 for 66.6% so I like how much the PP improved this year and am hopeful that we can keep it near the top of the league which should transfer to more wins. 

3 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

The Leafs PP went 2\4 for 50% ours went 2\3 for 66.6% so I like how much the PP improved this year and am hopeful that we can keep it near the top of the league which should transfer to more wins. 

Plus the pp that didn't score still had 4 shots on net, much improved but the smallest of sample sizes

All in all, sounds like it was a decent "warm-up" performance for the team. Not surprising to see a season opener against the Leafs being competitive and ending up in OT. Not upset that we didn't get the second point. Long season (even if it's a shortened one).

Hopefully we pickup a win on the weekend!

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

It was only that late second period penalty problems that cost us. 

2 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

It was only that late second period penalty problems that cost us. 

the 5 on 3 was the game ..before the Simmonds fight Montreal were in control ...Chiarot got sucked into giving them a momentum changer ....Anderson is the real deal ...Toffoli had a few chances and Romanov looked like he belonged and will only get better ...all in all we should have won that game but we'll take the point and move on 

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

the 5 on 3 was the game ..before the Simmonds fight Montreal were in control ...Chiarot got sucked into giving them a momentum changer ....Anderson is the real deal ...Toffoli had a few chances and Romanov looked like he belonged and will only get better ...all in all we should have won that game but we'll take the point and move on 

I give it 10 games before Romanov is permanently in the top 4.  He played there for a bit late in the game last night - i think Julien will probably move him around a bit but pretty soon he will stick. My guess  Romanov-Petry  Chiarot-Weber  (although i think Romanov-Weber  Kulak-Petry would be our best top 4). 

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I give it 10 games before Romanov is permanently in the top 4.  He played there for a bit late in the game last night - i think Julien will probably move him around a bit but pretty soon he will stick. My guess  Romanov-Petry  Chiarot-Weber  (although i think Romanov-Weber  Kulak-Petry would be our best top 4). 

Didn't he already have the second most ice time of all Montreal defenders yesterday? Looks like Julien is already in favor of using him a lot. Which is good.

16 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Didn't he already have the second most ice time of all Montreal defenders yesterday? Looks like Julien is already in favor of using him a lot. Which is good.

He did but that was largely when he was moved up the lineup in the 3rd. I think Julien will still start him on the 3rd but I could see him getting bumped soon.

Id really like to see him next to Weber rather than Petry but we know Petry-Chiarot hasnt looked great in the past & I dont see Julien playing chiarot and edmundson out of the top 4. 

One of the reasons i wanted them to move Danualt over Domi was last nights game.

Danualt led all forwards in icetime, yet clearly Suzuski and Anderson were our top two players and KK garners the  better offensive wingers in Gallagher and Tatar over Danault

Our second unit should be KK, Gallagher and Tatar.

Danualt should be with Byron and Toffoli or Lekonen and Toffoli. Both left wingers who are smart defensively

Armia/Evans-Poeling/Leks or Byron

Edited by caperns61
spelling

3 hours ago, caperns61 said:

One of the reasons i wanted them to move Danualt over Domi was last nights game.

Danualt led all forwards in icetime, yet clearly Suzuski and Anderson were our top two players and KK garners the  better offensive wingers in Gallagher and Tatar over Danault

Our second unit should be KK, Gallagher and Tatar.

Danualt should be with Byron and Toffoli or Lekonen and Toffoli. Both left wingers who are smart defensively

Armia/Evans-Poeling/Leks or Byron

That’s an interesting perspective however Danault was quite on record as being dissatisfied with being on the third line believing that his previous performance and history made him deserving to be in the 1,2,spot especially in a contract year. If he gets pushed to the third line this year for any duration, I believe his scoring stats may decline and hurt the chances of him being resigned (so be it - may not be worth his asking price). Nevertheless he’s a pro with a contract and I could care less if he sulks but only re-sign him for reasonable money and term, based on value to the role. 

Similarly I think Domi would have been dissatisfied with 3rd line ice time and playing partners so he would have sulked. I have to believe Columbus had a choice of Domi and Danault and took the upside of Domi, his term plus the draft pick in the trade. 
Now with KK you have a kid eager to prove himself, and wants to play, so a third line role for the time being suits his needs until he becomes a larger point producer. The hope I share with you is that KK by performance (rather than by appointment now), does move Danault to 3rd line. The reality is a lot of these guys have egos so a 3rd line Centre role has to fit the player and team. 
4th line Centre is usually a checking defensive or developmental role with not as much ice time or scoring pressure so it’s easier to fill that one