Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

SEASON OPENER. Habs vs Leafs. Wed Jan 13th.


Final Score  

21 members have voted

  1. 1. Predict the final score

    • Habs win by 1
    • Habs win by 2
    • Habs win by 3 or more
    • Habs lose by 1
    • Habs lose by 2
    • Habs lose by 3 or more
      0
    • Game postponed because of covid
      0


Recommended Posts

Just now, HabsRuleForever said:

You expected one?

Not really, he even broke his stick. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few thoughts:

- As predicted, the D is going to be our downfall. Edmundson was brutal. Chiarot and Weber were both out there in OT and both cost us chances against. Chiarot played the 2 on 1 that led to the OT goal horribly. CJ will need to get Romanov and Kulak into the top 4 and get one of Chiarot or Edmundson out of the line-up if we have any chance. Too bad we don't have another righty to throw onto the third pairing (Juulsen, cough cough). Still think it was our worst move to sign Edmundson, blow all our cap space, and lose Juulsen because of it.

- That knee on knee hit by Matthews on Anderson was dirty and should have been a penalty.

- Loved the Suzuki line. Easily our best. Also pleased to see Tatar play well, as I was worried he would show up out of shape again like he did with the last re-start. Toffoli got better in the 2nd half of the game. Disappointed in Armia, Lehkonen, Evans tonight.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really good game to watch, lots of action and the teams were really evenly matched. we don't have the elite scoring talent T.O does but we are not bad at all i really liked Suzuki with Anderson! that is going to work well KK with Toffoli looks good too i found Dano's line pretty flat overall and Price was so so. the D looked pretty good with the new faces but Romanov is going to be huge for us he seems to be good to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had a dollar for every time the Habs had a 2 goal lead and lost I would be a trillionaire. Ya, i know it's early, but I predict myself saying this a lot lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, habby67 said:

If I had a dollar for every time the Habs had a 2 goal lead and lost I would be a trillionaire. Ya, i know it's early, but I predict myself saying this a lot lol

We said it alot last season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of notes for the game.

1. Romanov looked really good got his 1st point hopefully it doesn't take as long to get his 1st goal as it took Mete.

2. Suzuki and Drouin picked up where they left off in the playoffs. Adding Anderson will make this a very dangerous line.

3. Price looked ok have to figure it's just a matter of getting a couple of games and building momentum.

4. Our PP actually looks good. Both formations took control and really clicked. We went 2/3 tonight and the Leafs were 2/4. If we can keep that going and get our PK clicking then we should be able to win some games solely on the special teams play.

5.  CJ all I can say is this. CJ is back to playing to not lose in OT instead of playing to win. There was no reason that Chiarot, Weber (except for on the PP), Edmundson or Danault should have been on the ice in OT. They are all either too slow or not skilled enough offensively to put the game on their sticks. Put your offensive guys out there and go for it. Don't try to lock down the OT to make it to the shootout, that almost never works in 3 on 3 OT. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Couple of notes for the game.

1. Romanov looked really good got his 1st point hopefully it doesn't take as long to get his 1st goal as it took Mete.

2. Suzuki and Drouin picked up where they left off in the playoffs. Adding Anderson will make this a very dangerous line.

3. Price looked ok have to figure it's just a matter of getting a couple of games and building momentum.

4. Our PP actually looks good. Both formations took control and really clicked. We went 2/3 tonight and the Leafs were 2/4. If we can keep that going and get our PK clicking then we should be able to win some games solely on the special teams play.

5.  CJ all I can say is this. CJ is back to playing to not lose in OT instead of playing to win. There was no reason that Chiarot, Weber (except for on the PP), Edmundson or Danault should have been on the ice in OT. They are all either too slow or not skilled enough offensively to put the game on their sticks. Put your offensive guys out there and go for it. Don't try to lock down the OT to make it to the shootout, that almost never works in 3 on 3 OT. 

And where was Gally on the OT?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts.....

1)  Edmunson looked absolutely brutal, not even a NHL caliber player IMO, OK first game jitters possibly give him a few games....

2)  Byron.... the only thing he brings to the game is his speed and he certainly didn't have that so no point in having him in the line up.... again first game give him a few

3) Leks, sorry but totally fed up with him... last year he was mediocre at best time to replace him with someone that bring more to the table.  He has no speed, no offensive ability, limited defensive abilities.

4)  Why is Danault on the top line, I get he is a great definsive forward but he is a hindrance to those who play with him.  Put him on the second or third line where he belongs.

5)  Suzuki and KK look great!!

6)  All the people that chirped about the Anderson trade hope you like the egg on your face :)

 

Thought our D looked OK, but certainly not great, again first game going to give them a few before I get to harsh :)

Edited by 26NCounting
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • H_T_L unpinned this topic

I didn't watch the game but hearing about how Edmundson and Chiarot didn't perform particularly well... is not surprising. When we signed Edmundson it looked like a terrible decision on paper. I HOPE this isn't verified over the first 5-10 games, but... I won't be surprised if it is. Glad to hear Romanov looked good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I didn't watch the game but hearing about how Edmundson and Chiarot didn't perform particularly well... is not surprising. When we signed Edmundson it looked like a terrible decision on paper. I HOPE this isn't verified over the first 5-10 games, but... I won't be surprised if it is. Glad to hear Romanov looked good.

I don't see both of those as long term keepers - Could be a case of Edmundson getting used to playing zone defence again with Petry - they may need some time to gel but Edmundson certainly did not impress. Toffoli had some chances. Read some of the earlier reviews - Great outing by Anderson as he wall papered a few leafs. Most of the forwards did OK except for Lehks. Byron and Danualt had some chances to score and whiffed. Very impressed with Romanov. Kulak was not out of place. The biggest weakness was the mental one of staying out of the penalty box as the only thing the leafs have of significance is their Power Play and goalie Anderson. Jumbo Joe looks out of it on Matthews line - let's hope that weakness stays together as Hyman significantly improves that line. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...